Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It is with much sadness that I am forced to admit that MAF is washed up. :(

So are Duncan Keith and Mike Smith but we already knew that.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

So the exact same goalie (MAF has) been for 90% of his career?

Yeah he's reverted to all his old bad habits. Except he's not quite as athletic anymore. It's pretty rough to watch.

It's like 95% he's going to be an Edmonton Oiler next year.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Leafs had to pick up a win so they could lose in game 7

I should have thought this through before the playoffs. What's the absolute most brutal way the Leafs can dickkick their fans this year? It's to win their first playoff series in 20 years by bouncing the 2-time champs--thus ensuring Keefe's survival and the wasting of at least one more year of Matthews' and Marner's primes--then do their usual Maple Leafs thing in the second round, ideally against an 8 seed everyone expects them to beat.

Congrats on one last run to the conference final Caps fans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

I should have thought this through before the playoffs. What's the absolute most brutal way the Leafs can dickkick their fans this year? It's to win their first playoff series in 20 years by bouncing the 2-time champs--thus ensuring Keefe's survival and the wasting of at least one more year of Matthews' and Marner's primes--then do their usual Maple Leafs thing in the second round, ideally against an 8 seed everyone expects them to beat.

Finally winning a series and then going back to Leafing it up isn't that much of a dropoff, though. No, I'm thinking it has to be:

Beat Tampa Bay, beat Washington, beat Boston. So many demons exorcised. They could either all be grueling 7-game series, which would be more emotionally draining, or to maximize the contrast for the inevitable drop-off, have them win in 7, 6, 5 or 6, 5, 4 games, respectivelly, building up the hype to unimaginable levels.

Then lose to Colorado in 4, as Kadri scores a hat trick in every game, and also inflicts lingering injuries on every Leafs star (that they play through, causing lasting damage but not giving compelling excuses for losing) with borderline predatory hits on DOPS-approved hockey plays.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's like 95% he's going to be an Edmonton Oiler next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back to Pittsburgh but I feel like that's only happening if one or more of Malkin/Letang/Rust/Rakell leave. And if he's ok with being a backup I guess. If he wants to chase a starter job I dunno who would give that to him that's actually a contender.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I don't think MAF or Sullivan have any interest in a reunion in any scenario.

If you're looking for a team that should be a contender but isn't because it's run by morons who love washed up players and will be in the market for a goalie, well, I repeat myself but that's Edmonton for sure.

The conference finals are shaping up to be just Colorado and the winner of the Carolina/Boston series delivering beatdowns. Can't believe I'm saying it but I hope like hell the Hurricanes finish the Bruins off.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 11, 2022

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think the obvious answer is a replay of all the old favorites. Take a 4-1 lead into the third in Game 6 and lose due to a controversial call in overtime. Then lose Game 7 by 3-4 goals in a flaccid effort.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
The only way I see Fleury back in Pittsburgh is on a one-day contract so he can retire a Penguin.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Fleury to Philly. You think Jagr broke brains playing in the orange and black ?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I’m having flashbacks of MAF making GBS threads pucks in the goal two years in a row in playoff games, and I can’t handle the idea of him back in Pittsburg.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
MAF has a higher playoff SV% than Vanecek, Vasilevskiy, Quick, Campbell, :cop:, Shesterkin

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, last game at least MAF is not the reason the Wild lost.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, last game at least MAF is not the reason the Wild lost.

I can only think of one to two goals this post season that I’d blame on MAF alone. He’s not been the problem. His rebound control could be a little better on the PK, but it’s as much the PK that is not good.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Yeah, MAF hasn't let in any laughers like I was expecting him to. He hasn't been great, but the Blues have been shooting at a pretty incredible clip all year so it's not too surprising to me that his sv% is lower than you'd expect

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I didn't expect to win tonight but that was a hell of a depressing way to lose. If Sid is out for the rest of the series or even for just game 6 I think the Rangers will probably win this.

Pens have won three cups on my watch so I'm not thaaat upset about tonight but god drat what a hell of a thing.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I hope Sid is ok, that was unfortunate.

However I hope they do everything in their power to troll the living poo poo out of Malkin in game 6.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

However I hope they do everything in their power to troll the living poo poo out of Malkin in game 6.

Might as well, getting the Pens off their game like that has historically been effective.

I think if Sid is out - and tbh even if he isn't - the Pens have to have game 6. I don't think they'd win a game 7.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah it was real unfortunate that after countless attempts across five games to injure Crosby the Rangers finally succeeded by resorting to an impeccable Matt Cooke impression, agreed

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

it's always disappointing to see a captain quit on his team like this :unsmith:

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
That was such a hilarious attempt to injure. There is no natural reason to raise the elbow up like that.

Mr. Kite fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 12, 2022

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah it was real unfortunate that after countless attempts across five games to injure Crosby the Rangers finally succeeded by resorting to an impeccable Matt Cooke impression, agreed

Maybe that edit is not the best argument point lmao.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No it is what it is. Every non-Pens fan that's been around a while is thinking that's just karmic justice for Cooke's longtime employers. It's real lovely and depressing that Sid has to suffer (more than he already has, which is a lot) for Cooke's sins.

The Rangers are aiming to win the series through an explicit strategy of deliberately injuring their opponent's best players, but it's hard to hold that against them too much. Given how the league office downright incentivizes it with slap-on-the-wrist "punishments", it's just sound strategy really.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

I legitimately have not seen a whole lot of intent to injure outside of the poo poo Carter pulled against Shesty in game 1. Like I get youre emotional right now and that sucks but the Rangers haven’t really played dirty at all. They aren’t even a dirty team.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Actually it’s fine because Sid is bad too.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Meh. I hate that play and I think Trouba should get a suspension for it arguably but I don't think he actually meant to hurt Crosby. It was a careless play more than a malicious one imo. It was a "I'm not letting up even though this guy is in a bad position" play moreso than a "it's Sidney Crosby and I'm gonna elbow the gently caress out of him" kinda play.

But I don't think being careless should be an excuse to not face disciplinary action.

Either way, this series is still there for the taking. If the Pens lose, oh well. Not sure they get by Carolina or Boston anyways, two teams that torment them. I'd love a round 1 series win for once but thems the breaks. I'll hope for the best and we'll see what happens.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Rangers were targeting Crosby and Guentzel with cheap shots (especially Guentzel actually, or maybe Crosby was just more adept at eluding them until he wasn't) right from the first shift of Game 1. It was commented on at the time and I'm pretty sure I said something about it in this thread.

That's playoff hockey though.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Trouba was literally called for elbowing, in the exact same manner, Guentzel like 2 minutes into the game. He was definitely hunting tonight.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Go off, and I mean that in a non sarcastic way. If someone knocked the best player on the Rangers (Kakko) out of the game I’d be upset too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

*Malkin gives Kakko a loaf of bread during the game* you DIRTY motha*BEEEEP*

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

*Malkin gives Kakko a loaf of bread during the game* you DIRTY motha*BEEEEP*

why don't you give it to panarin instead? he's the bread man!!!!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Matt Zerella posted:

Go off, and I mean that in a non sarcastic way. If someone knocked the best player on the Rangers (Kakko) out of the game I’d be upset too.

If the Rangers get a two or three goal lead in game 6 or 7 Malkin will absolutely start throwing a temper tantrum and cheapshotting people. Probably Letang too.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Arivia posted:

why don't you give it to panarin instead? he's the bread man!!!!

Kakko has Celiacs

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Ginette Reno posted:

If the Rangers get a two or three goal lead in game 6 or 7 Malkin will absolutely start throwing a temper tantrum and cheapshotting people. Probably Letang too.

Hell. it happened in this game.

Trouba was going for a poke check on the puck, and then collided with Sid. Whoopsie daisy.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rotten Cookies posted:

Hell. it happened in this game.

Trouba was going for a poke check on the puck, and then collided with Sid. Whoopsie daisy.

"oops"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Excuse me, I've been told for years that "This is playoff hockey™" and that buttercups should toughen up

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
hopefully the capitals are eliminated and then next year ovechkin is drafted into the army

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/vzmercogliano/status/1524579579742015489

I love him and Cheeter and Laf so much.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I didn’t watch the game but I watched the clip and imo Trouba has a history of being a shithead and deserves no benefit of the doubt in this instance

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

I didn’t watch the game but I watched the clip and imo Trouba has a history of being a shithead and deserves no benefit of the doubt in this instance

I hope he does but mostly so that Nemeth has to play

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I'm an unbiased observer and I'm here to say trouba should be suspended for 30 games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Jacob Trouba is a good dude and good man, no suspension