Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Thing that gets me about some of them is, within that timeline, it's hard for me to picture how they filmed certain scenes, especially the shoplifting ones. Back then, cameras weren't tiny phones or go pros so I'd think the film makers would be pretty conspicuous in some shots while the perps are trying to be sneaky and poo poo. I wonder how confidentiality might work too since I can't imagine how a lot of that film wouldn't be considered evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I think the cost/time/effort of a subpoena probably outweighed the need for evidence. They all had more than a dozen convictions.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

They were sneaking huge rear end suitcases and boxes out of those stores they could prob get away with hiding a camera stuffed inside a big purse or something. They didn't look like high end places with more than 2 employees

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

They were sneaking huge rear end suitcases and boxes out of those stores they could prob get away with hiding a camera stuffed inside a big purse or something. They didn't look like high end places with more than 2 employees

bort posted:

I think the cost/time/effort of a subpoena probably outweighed the need for evidence. They all had more than a dozen convictions.

Good points. Still weird to me that the thieves would go for it but it's not like they had a ton of sense anyway and were also of course being paid. Wonder how much they were getting and if the producers ever felt bad about enabling them financially and feeding their drug use? Hell, if anything, and had it been me doing the shoplifting, I would have used the cameramen as a shield/distraction. Maybe they did. I didn't realize it was three parts but after you guys mentioned it it jogged a memory of seeing these characters a long time ago.

Also seems like a prosecutor with a hard on could have charged the HBO crew of being an accomplice or aiding and abetting since they were paying the "cast", you know? I've looked around for more HBO docs like this and closest one I've found was Hookers at the Point. Anyone know any other similar drug type ones?

bort
Mar 13, 2003

There are a bunch of drug/drinking related episodes in the America Undercover series (which A Life of Crime is a part of).

IMDB episode list

Not sure how many are available on HBO Max, though

Edit: Louis Theroux has a three part series called Dark States. The first episode is focused on heroin in West Virginia. It was riveting!

https://justwatch.com/us/tv-show/louis-theroux-dark-states

bort fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 3, 2022

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
The Thirteenth Step was an interesting look at the seedy underbelly of 12-step recovery programs. Recommended

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Thing that gets me about some of them is, within that timeline, it's hard for me to picture how they filmed certain scenes, especially the shoplifting ones.

I was surprised when the camera crew accompanied the police when they went to pick Michael up. He was a fugitive and could have hurt someone if he decided he really didn't want to go to jail. Considering people related to the filming probably could have found out where he was or even arranged to meet up with him, I wouldn't expect the police to be doing them any favors if they thought the producers were withholding information. I guess either a) they somehow got permission to go on that specific ride-along without tipping anyone off or b) they helped the police in some way. While b) makes me uncomfortable, given what has already been said about Michael in this thread, I wouldn't be too bothered if it turned out to be the case.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's 100% option B.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well, on the one hand gently caress cops. On the other hand, gently caress that Michael poo poo head also who, given a slightly different path in life, could have very easily been a cop himself. Hell, with half the illegal poo poo he got up to in addition to being a wife beating, self entitled arrogant poo poo head, he would have blended right in on the Jersey police force.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's 100% option B.

And I don't know but you're probably right. I wonder what the deals that were cut and what the non disclosure forms looked like. These people took money from a film crew in exchange for being filmed committing numerous crimes. I have to imagine there was some form of protection built in somewhere but then again the protagonists of the films don't strike me as being on top of their legal game beyond the lawyers they needed once they got busted so it was probably as simple as "here's $1500 to let us film whatever we want".

I mean, they didn't have agents.

That one prostitute from Hookers on the Point said on one of the later episodes that her business went UP as a result of appearing on HBO and that it was like a commercial for her or a form of marketing. Johns actively sought her out after seeing her on the documentaries and she'd achieved a certain level of fame.

At what point does the film making cross over into a form of enabling? I think it's an interesting question.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

At what point does the film making cross over into a form of enabling? I think it's an interesting question.

The point's been raised, but it's especially pertinent when dealing with people in active addiction. Part of the disease is the inability to properly weigh short-term vs delayed gratification. There is no chance, not even enough to point to as theoretical cover, that the money didn't take the shortest route from the producers' hands to the addicts' bloodstreams rather than being saved or spent on rent or something.

More generally, I think it probably has to do with the documentarians' involvement with the subject. With past events, personal relationships or even compensation are probably good as they may make the subject more willing to share information. With current events, I think you need to treat it like a nature documentary. If the lion catches the gazelle, you've recorded something gruesome but possibly valuable. If you tie one to a stake and wait to see what happens, you're doing something closer to burning ants with a magnifying glass and framing it as educational.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 4, 2022

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well this is a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8TW6Ap-IYE

Makes me want to watch the docs again at least.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Stare-Out posted:

Makes me want to watch the docs again at least.
I had recommended the doc series to my dad during the 2020 quarantine. He called me a couple episodes in, and said, “these actors are phenomenal.” :lmao:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Has anyone seen "Expedition Content" or know how it is possible to do so?

https://letterboxd.com/film/expedition-content/

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Here's a super hosed up one I remember seeing on HBO a long time ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcKAW-xkOig

:nms:

Extremely graphic but it's got it all.

The shortcomings of our criminal justice system, racism, how prison makes people worse, creepy shitheads preying on 15 year old girls, struggling families and what that does to kids. I'd forgotten about it and kind of wish I hadn't stumbled on it again because it shook me to the core the first time I saw this on TV. The killer was in jail for murdering a pedophile and his accomplice was in there for forging a $300 check.

Watch at your own risk.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I watched that Jimmy Savile thing on Netflix. I had heard his name over the years but having grown up in the US it was just a name. But yeesh. As soon as it started my reaction was "I bet he's a kiddie diddler."

I can only imagine the cognitive dissonance most of the UK felt when his story finally came out.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It was probably like how americans felt after cosby was exposed as a serial rapist but an order of magnitude greater

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

I watched that Jimmy Savile thing on Netflix. I had heard his name over the years but having grown up in the US it was just a name. But yeesh. As soon as it started my reaction was "I bet he's a kiddie diddler."

I can only imagine the cognitive dissonance most of the UK felt when his story finally came out.

It wasn’t so much cognitive dissonance. It was more ‘yeah, we all knew’. The guy was always creepy as gently caress and no one was shocked he was loving corpses and kids. What dyou do though? You can’t say it out loud or you’ll spend the rest of your life paying a libel bill.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I had never heard of Savile before the big expose after his death. Who would his level of popularity/place in UK pop culture be comparable to in the US?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I had never heard of Savile before the big expose after his death. Who would his level of popularity/place in UK pop culture be comparable to in the US?

I dunno, Alex Trebek or Regis Philbin or someone, I guess? Everybody in the UK knew who he was, everyone. He hid in plain sight behind a veneer of eccentricity

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Here's a super hosed up one I remember seeing on HBO a long time ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcKAW-xkOig

:nms:

Extremely graphic but it's got it all.

Watch at your own risk.

Yeah, I probably should have listened to the warning. For anyone else who might find the subject interesting as a whole, just be aware that the documentary starts with a several-minute-long montage of incarcerated people fighting, killing each other, and being abused by guards. The murder-to-minute ratio is pretty high. If you want to skip ahead, you can probably go to about the 10 minute mark, but be aware that a clip of a man being held down and stabbed dozens of times is replayed throughout the film.

Like OP, I think I saw this years ago. I remember Troy and now, like then, would summarize him about the same way the prosecutor did. He induces sympathy by having emotional and intellectual insight into his crimes, but tries to escape responsibility by distancing himself from the person he claimed he no longer was and by pointing to (correctly, I think) the aspects of incarceration which could lead a person to where he was. I think the intention of the filmmakers aligns with that second piece but they may have chosen the wrong subject.

Definitely feel for the victim's brother and family.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

I'm about three years late, but I finally watched I Love You, Now Die: The Commonwealth v. Michelle Carter. As a former depressed teen who loved Glee, didn't really have friends at school, and constantly texted my friend who lived an hour away... I still can't see myself doing what she did. Erin Lee Carr (the filmmaker) is great and I think the documentary is as good as it could have possibly been, but it suffered from Michelle and her family's lack of involvement. There were so many questions left unanswered, and the only person offering an explanation (the doctor who testified for the defense) was a total quack. After seeing how Michelle spent a year trying to get Conrad not to kill himself, I don't understand why she turned to helping him plan his suicide. Then again, I don't think she knows either; I don't think anyone does.

emo-ignorance fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 8, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Watched a pretty batshit Netlfix doc about the killdozer guy. Not wild about all the re-enactments but the real audio recordings of this dude's manifesto kind of make up for it and there's a lot of real video footage mixed in, especially in the last third. I don't know if this link works or if it's tied to my personal account but anyway

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81206...8_ROOT%2C%2C%2C

It's called "Tread" and I think it's worth checking out.

I'd heard a little bit about the story but not the whole thing and it's like some Taxi Driver Travis Bickle poo poo except this dude built a tank out of a loving bulldozer that he galvanized with steel and concrete and then went Juggernaut with his mission.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 17, 2022

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

The GBS thread about the dominos that fell after the Savile thing went public was fascinating in a car wreck sorta way

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The weird thing about the Saville thing is the first time the news came out officially (it had always been lurking beneath the surface, but never as a news story) everyone kinda brushed it under the rug and pretended it wasn’t real. It kinda broke again a year or so later and then everyone pretended to be shocked and surprised.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

the netflix "documentary" didnt engage with louis theroux even a tinsy bit. loving hacks

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

which streaming service generally is best for documentaries? i haven't really scoured them in the last few years and i have no idea where things stand now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There is no best, only what interests you. Netflix has leaned hard into overly long docuseries. 1 hours worth of content spread over 4 hours.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

There is no best, only what interests you. Netflix has leaned hard into overly long docuseries. 1 hours worth of content spread over 4 hours.

Yeah. All the streaming services produce a fair amount of documentary content because it’s cheap to make. But I do feel like Netflix generates the most generic mailed in cookie cutter stuff. I feel like HBO seems to have above average documentary content.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah if you want a great back catalog of great documentaries, I’d recommend HBO.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
Maybe the thread title is due an update

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

These two are related.

An artist, writer and photographer tried to go full Gonzo journalism with heroin by involving himself in the story with sadly predictable results. The dude felt he had to use the drugs and experience withdrawal to cover the subject honestly and whether one believes that rationale or not is left up the viewer but it's just wild to me, and I'm not sure why, to study the depths of addiction. Probably because it's I'm an addict myself and really loving glad I never used heroin or put a spike in my arm

Anyway, have some more sad

Part 1
https://vimeo.com/149131539

Part 2
https://vimeo.com/145770018

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
https://twitter.com/kelly_carlin/status/1521188147920445440?t=xqdipxOsAT7SgCp07xeRFQ&s=19

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Our Father on Netflix.

Yuck.

What a loving creepoid.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

BiggerBoat posted:

Watched a pretty batshit Netlfix doc about the killdozer guy. Not wild about all the re-enactments but the real audio recordings of this dude's manifesto kind of make up for it and there's a lot of real video footage mixed in, especially in the last third. I don't know if this link works or if it's tied to my personal account but anyway

https://www.netflix.com/watch/81206...8_ROOT%2C%2C%2C

It's called "Tread" and I think it's worth checking out.

I'd heard a little bit about the story but not the whole thing and it's like some Taxi Driver Travis Bickle poo poo except this dude built a tank out of a loving bulldozer that he galvanized with steel and concrete and then went Juggernaut with his mission.

This is probably the best summary I've heard of the Killdozer guy. Basically he's a small business owner that trashes a town because he doesn't want to pay for a sewer hookup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvl_7_Up7zU&t=671s

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

PeterCat posted:

This is probably the best summary I've heard of the Killdozer guy. Basically he's a small business owner that trashes a town because he doesn't want to pay for a sewer hookup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvl_7_Up7zU&t=671s

I wasn't expecting to spend 20 minutes watching a guy build a city in a video game, but that was indeed a good summary. My sister dealt with land use and permitting at jobs in OK and TX and small business owners are indeed Killdozers waiting to happen. Developers are worse but can usually solve their issues with piles of money strategically placed around city hall.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Just realized that this dropped and can't wait to watch it. Reviews have been stellar

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
It's basically his autobiography in video form.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Screwball on Netflix is fun. About the steroids scandal in baseball, narrated by the quack doctor. They have kids lip synch the re-enactments, so it’s clever storytelling.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

The HBO Carlin documentary is really, really great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MrMojok posted:

The HBO Carlin documentary is really, really great.

Seconded. I'm about 1/3 of the way through episode 2 and it's fantastic.