Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

held off getting the one from withings until hearing more about the pixel watch and, well, okay now I'm just gonna get the withings one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Rest In Peace my original pebble, the only smart watch I enjoyed.

Bring back eink watches.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

SystemLogoff posted:

Bring back eink watches.

Garmin Instinct 2
Garmin Vivomove Sport (ok, that's hidden oled)
Fossil HR Collider

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Garmin Instinct 2

a very very good watch

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

cage-free egghead posted:

We don't need this sort of poo poo in this thread.

Factual statements? Oppo doesn't sell in North America, he has no experience with one.

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > The Android Thread - defend your purchase

Lol I literally change phones every three months. I've had three phones in 2022.

couldcareless posted:

Thank you for continuing to be a dumb useless addition to this thread.

Who are you? I've never seen your username before. Hopefully not the absolute wanker who reported me to mods again for criticising Pixel.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 12, 2022

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Lol I literally change phones every three months. I've had three phones in 2022.

Guys! Come quick! I found the son of a bitch who's causing climate change!

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Now that i had a a night to sleep on it and reevaluate that Pixel Watch and Tablet i've come to the following conclusion

Google needs to stop making hardware.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

bull3964 posted:

Garmin Instinct 2
Garmin Vivomove Sport (ok, that's hidden oled)
Fossil HR Collider

To be fair, I should have said eink watches that are smaller with a color e ink screen.

The GI2 looks great, but I know I would stop wearing it because it's big.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Photex posted:

Now that i had a a night to sleep on it and reevaluate that Pixel Watch and Tablet i've come to the following conclusion

Google needs to stop making hardware.

Nope!

I'm not a super fan of the Watch asthetics, but the tablet is fine and the pixel 7 looks really good with the full all aluminum bar.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

SystemLogoff posted:

To be fair, I should have said eink watches that are smaller with a color e ink screen.

FYI, the Pebble didn't actually have an eink screen. It was just a color transflective LCD screen. The Garmin Fenix 7 has the same type of display.

Pebble just liked to cloud with marketing terms by calling it an ePaper display which isn't an actual thing.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
They've not given any details on the Pixel tablet screen size, right? I tried matching it up to the Tab S8+ but it came out tiny, figure I must've messed up somehow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

They've not given any details on the Pixel tablet screen size, right? I tried matching it up to the Tab S8+ but it came out tiny, figure I must've messed up somehow.

Nope.

Let's be honest, it's not a real product yet. It's a tensor chip running android 12L or 13 beta on some 16:10 landscape display if it even exists in the real world at all yet. It's probably a bench motherboard hooked up to a external motherboard at this point.

There's a reason why we only got partial views of anything other than a front on render. It was more about presenting design language than anything else.

If I were to put out my wishlist, I want something in the 10" or less category. I already have a fuckoff huge tablet with the S8 Ultra. I just want something for times where I want to handhold something instead of resting it on my lap.

I have an iPad mini 6 and its...fine. Just fine. I have a Tab Active3 as well and I actually think it's a better small screen tablet to use than the iPad mini, but it's pretty chunky and can get to be a chore to hold.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 12, 2022

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SystemLogoff posted:

Get the Instinct 2S then!

stratego
May 6, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

This gif really makes the huge bezels apparent

Love to check my messages through a port hole.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, it has the same screen size as the 42mm Galaxy Watch 4 and the case is actually smaller. So the bezels on the watch 4 are actually greater, it's just not as so apparent since the case breaks up the border.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Is there a way to force podcastaddicts widget to stay on the Lockscreen? For some reason it started disappearing from there which is quite annoying as it forces me to unlock my phone to resume a podcast.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Compare it to an Apple Watch which absolutely is what it needs to compete with

The Pixel Watch bezels are absolutely brutal in comparison.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Compare it to an Apple Watch which absolutely is what it needs to compete with

It actually doesn't. WearOS 3 doesn't work on iOS and Apple Watch doesn't work on Android.

People who chose to be platform locked due to the Apple Watch are doing it for the software ecosystem, not the hardware.

There is no hardware that Google can put out for a watch that will make it a viable alternative to the Apple Watch. Nothing. The sooner people understand that, the less disappointed they can be. This is why the Pixel watch never really mattered and if you wanted a decent Android watch you bought a Galaxy Watch 4 6 months ago.

Look at all the prominent tech YouTubers. They use an Android phone for their personal device and they have an iPhone and Apple Watch SPECIFICALLY to compete in fitness challenges. Unless Google pulls off a coup and gets Apple Fitness on a WearOS device, there's no overcoming that inertia.

All that aside, if you look at one of those apple watches face on and black out the case to match the display, the bezel sizes would be similar. I don't like the Pixel watch design because it's too minimalistic for my tastes and the design makes the bezels standout, but it doesn't really have any screen to body disadvantage.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It makes no sense to claim that Google doesn't compete with Apple with both having an in-house smartphone/watch combo. The Pixel Watch bezels are objectively huge. But I'm honestly really not in the mood to argue or debate today so I'll drop it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The 6a specs and price ($450) are pretty underwhelming so I at least hope Fi sells it as a discount when pre-orders start and/or I get tired of nursing my laggy Moto X4. Fi hasn't even offered equivalent discounts for existing customers since they dumped their last S21s so I suppose I shouldn't get my hopes up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The ecosystems are in competition. The hardware is only part of it.

This iteration of hardware has no real effect on the ecosystem. It could be a 5 day battery life edge to edge screen sapphire/ceramic encased solar recharging with ECG, BP, O2, Glucose sensors for $150 and it wouldn't move the needle at all in getting people to switch from the Apple watch.

You know what will? Health Connect (if implemented well). Telling people that they can choose whatever device they want from $50 to $2000 and all of their health metrics are available in their fitness platform of choice is huge and stands a real chance of converting people especially since Fitbit is platform agnostic.

That's the real trojan horse. The Pixel watch is whatever. The fact that you can use a Charge 5 or a Versa on iOS and in the future sync your fitness metrics to a whole myriad of devices and services on Android is the real long term play. Now you have the wearable purchaser cross shopping fitbit with the Apple Watch and the choice is no longer which walled garden they want their health metrics in. Now, if they got Fitbit, they could go to Samsung Health down the line, or Google fit, or whoever else Google gets to sign on to Health Connect (Garmin would be a real coup here).

This is the real competition, not some GW4 mainboard in a glass bauble that represents the whim of some designer at Google over the past 18 months.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on May 12, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

by popular demand, they're keeping the bar-of-soap industrial design on the pixel 7

https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/1524806378883371011

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm sure the 5 people that use an $800 all glass device without a case routinely will be upset.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

a lot of words here defending oversized bezels.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The ecosystems are in competition. The hardware is only part of it.

This iteration of hardware has no real effect on the ecosystem. It could be a 5 day battery life edge to edge screen sapphire/ceramic encased solar recharging with ECG, BP, O2, Glucose sensors for $150 and it wouldn't move the needle at all in getting people to switch from the Apple watch.

You know what will? Health Connect (if implemented well). Telling people that they can choose whatever device they want from $50 to $2000 and all of their health metrics are available in their fitness platform of choice is huge and stands a real chance of converting people especially since Fitbit is platform agnostic.

That's the real trojan horse. The Pixel watch is whatever. The fact that you can use a Charge 5 or a Versa on iOS and in the future sync your fitness metrics to a whole myriad of devices and services on Android is the real long term play. Now you have the wearable purchaser cross shopping fitbit with the Apple Watch and the choice is no longer which walled garden they want their health metrics in. Now, if they got Fitbit, they could go to Samsung Health down the line, or Google fit, or whoever else Google gets to sign on to Health Connect (Garmin would be a real coup here).

This is the real competition, not some GW4 mainboard in a glass bauble that represents the whim of some designer at Google over the past 18 months.

That all doesn't change the fact the bezels are huge.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Give me an AR wearable where when I check my watch the display is shown in my glasses.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For reference, this is what the mainstream apple watch looks like face on.

Not really seeing a whole lot of difference.

I mean, if Google decides to charge Series 7 prices for their watch, then there's a conversation to be had there. But for reference a Galaxy Watch 4 (42mm) only costs $249 and undercuts even the SE.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah I really don't get how there's such hand wringing about bezels when we've only seen the watch face on and the edges curve to the side, they might be big as hell or it might look like some of the edge/side is bezel

e: based on this

bull3964 posted:

Eh, it has the same screen size as the 42mm Galaxy Watch 4 and the case is actually smaller. So the bezels on the watch 4 are actually greater, it's just not as so apparent since the case breaks up the border.

seems like a complete non issue

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

withoutclass posted:

Give me an AR wearable where when I check my watch the display is shown in my glasses.

That's brilliant. The AR keeps track of a persistent "watch" on your wrist that appears whenever you glance down. No bezels, 7" screen size.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

sourdough posted:

Yeah I really don't get how there's such hand wringing about bezels when we've only seen the watch face on and the edges curve to the side, they might be big as hell or it might look like some of the edge/side is bezel

e: based on this

seems like a complete non issue

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I mean, if Google decides to charge Series 7 prices for their watch, then there's a conversation to be had there. But for reference a Galaxy Watch 4 (42mm) only costs $249 and undercuts even the SE.

Huge difference.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

That's...head on :confused: Are the edges not curved? How much of the non screen part that's visible there is the case curving over the edge and like at a 45° angle relative to the screen?

If you're just saying it looks lovely then I'm on board lol

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sourdough posted:

That's...head on :confused: Are the edges not curved? How much of the non screen part that's visible there is the case curving over the edge and like at a 45° angle relative to the screen?

If you're just saying it looks lovely then I'm on board lol

We saw it on the dude's wrist at I/O, it looks even worse irl

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Huge difference.

Now erase the seam between the glass and the casing and look again. Screen to body ratio is the same.

I don't find it as aesthetically pleasing, and that's certainly a valid criticism to make, but I still wouldn't find it as aesthetically pleasing even if the display went over the edge and there wasn't a bezel at all.

Curved.Displays.Suck. Full stop. On any device.

Pretending like this matters is funny though. The bezel isn't going to be the thing the makes or breaks WearOS in it's 7th year of life.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

We saw it on the dude's wrist at I/O, it looks even worse irl

It does yeah. I think at least some of that is cause of what I was saying though, looks like there's a bit of a change in the reflection on it (like on the top left?) so you can maybe guess where the flat bezel is and where it starts to balloon out as it curves down. Tough to tell, but in any case a flat face with sharp edges looks better regardless of the bezels imo

Galaxy watch 4 has had sales recently iirc anyway, no reason not to jump on that if you're in the market for a watch

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Took a picture of my Galaxy Watch 4 from as straight on perspective as I could with the flashlight on to make the screen all white and then blended it with the gif.

Bezel to screen ratio is pretty much exact. The GW4 just hides it with chamfered edges and a step down casing design.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 12, 2022

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

I'm sure the 5 people that use an $800 all glass device without a case routinely will be upset.
excuse me i paid $900 for this all-glass device and i'm going to enjoy it

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Pretending like this matters is funny though. The bezel isn't going to be the thing the makes or breaks WearOS in it's 7th year of life.

yeah, wearos would have to matter to be able to break it tbh

e: no case crew rise up

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
No smart watch will ever beat the Pebble Time. The display was beyond gorgeous on a clear day and the watch face ecosystem was wild. I had a Zelda watch face that was just a lot of fun to look at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

lol dude stop defending giant, awful bezels as totally fine. It's okay to recognize this as a misstep. Daddy Google isn't going to die because of a watch no one is going to buy anyway.