Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Question IRL posted:

No.
Like maybe the very odd "kids from these classes are going to pack shopping bags in the local supermarket to raise money for charity" thing. Occasionally a mention of kids who were on a local football team playing a game and asking people to show up to cheer them on. But that was the extent of it.

Are you saying that kids had to go into school on the weekend? And wear uniforms on a Saturday?
I thought that was just some American invention for TV.

Nah we didn't have to go in on a Saturday, but but the school holding extracurricular poo poo like talent shows and plays at the weekend wasn't unheard of. As far as I remember it was optional though so no fucker went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The Derry Girls school is fake, but modeled on the one the writer went to.
Which was an average convent school, there are loads in Ireland.

Events could be on weekends, but usually you would groan like gently caress if you had to wear your uniform.
Including parents as they had no time to wash your uniform.
I remember sports events, charity things like sponsored walks, and was only asked to wear uniform once and that was for a funeral of a Brother that taught in my Christian Brothers school.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My private school didn't, thank gently caress

Mine did

And weekday classes finished at 6:30pm (5:30 for the younger kids)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

His fingers looked like that yonks ago, aren't there any new photos of Charles's (Charles' ?) fingers?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Only in sealed evidence files.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My primary school would occasionally do bring and buy sales on the weekend.

I still remember it because one year my mum gave away a penguin toy called "Tubby Tooter" that we didn't really use all that often. Then my brother and me found out and were really distressed we hadn't been told. My brother more than me. He still brings it up occasionally.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tubby Tooter sounds like a Viz character based on the prime minister.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Dead Goon posted:

Charles's (Charles' ?) fingers?

Reminds me of this I saw on reddit yesterday

:3:

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Tubby Tooter and his Haunted Hooter - He's got the ghost of Winston Churchill up his wazoo, what jolly japes will they find this week?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Dead Goon posted:

His fingers looked like that yonks ago, aren't there any new photos of Charles's (Charles' ?) fingers?

More recent

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Britain of course, being weird, has at least one style guide where the apostrophe after a name ending in an s depends on whether they are an anointed one or a scrub prole.

James's drill. St. James' Park. Charles's notebook. Prince Charles' noncebook.

I'm not sure where you draw the line on where you draw that line.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Wow, this whole notion of Saturday school events is blowing my mind.
It's like if people asked you "so what was it like when you took part in the Hunger Games? Wait, your town didn't have to put forth tribute?"

Then again I had a similar reaction when I finished secondary school and discovered that most schools have cafeterias and served lunches to kids every day. Something that never happened in my primary or secondary schools.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Question IRL posted:

Then again I had a similar reaction when I finished secondary school and discovered that most schools have cafeterias and served lunches to kids every day. Something that never happened in my primary or secondary schools.

The gently caress did you go to school - Dotheboys Hall?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Is it common for British aristos to not have a surname? Many yonks ago I worked customer services and had Lady something or other on the phone. When taking her details she was very insistent that she didn't have a surname and requested that I just sub in an X. Not sure if it was just standard posh people weirdness or some sort of actual royal protocol thing.

Edit: maybe she was a black nationalist

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Guavanaut posted:

Tubby Tooter sounds like a Viz character based on the prime minister.

It does! But it was a cool penguin that honked when you put them underwater and it popped back up!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

My primary school had the headmaster fired because he was skimming money from the funds, some of it from the food budget. His wife was the head cook, and yeah the food did get really bad.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

happyhippy posted:

My primary school had the headmaster fired because he was skimming money from the funds, some of it from the food budget. His wife was the head cook, and yeah the food did get really bad.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jedit posted:

Dotheboys Hall

Genuinely thought for a moment this might be a real school, until I googled it

Certainly has a name worthy of any toff school, for sure

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

happyhippy posted:

Some American prisons allow the warden to take home any money saved from food budget efficiencies

Imagine what that incentive does to the amount and quality of food

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

keep punching joe posted:

Is it common for British aristos to not have a surname? Many yonks ago I worked customer services and had Lady something or other on the phone. When taking her details she was very insistent that she didn't have a surname and requested that I just sub in an X. Not sure if it was just standard posh people weirdness or some sort of actual royal protocol thing.

That would've been her surname. It's one of the 'quirks' of titles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_peer#Titles_and_forms_of_address

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Even the highest muckety-mucks have surnames. But when they're using their style, the title is their surname. For example, prior to 1461 Richard III was Richard Plantagenet. Then he was granted the Duchy of Gloucester and took the style Richard, Duke of Gloucester. And wives are the same; their official style derives from their title or that of their husband. So Jamie Lee Curtis is technically Jamie, Lady Haden-Guest, although being American she only uses that style when she wants a better restaurant booking.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Genuinely thought for a moment this might be a real school, until I googled it

Certainly has a name worthy of any toff school, for sure

Technically it is real - it was modeled directly on a real school for unwanted children that Dickens had visited. Later, after the school closed, the building was actually renamed Dotheboys Hall.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

For every Stormont election, another goes on the pan. We will continue until everyone wears the orange sash.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jedit posted:

Even the highest muckety-mucks have surnames. But when they're using their style, the title is their surname. For example, prior to 1461 Richard III was Richard Plantagenet. Then he was granted the Duchy of Gloucester and took the style Richard, Duke of Gloucester. And wives are the same; their official style derives from their title or that of their husband. So Jamie Lee Curtis is technically Jamie, Lady Haden-Guest, although being American she only uses that style when she wants a better restaurant booking.

Well that's weird.

Suffice to say, I successfully exasperated the woman with a tedious back and forth about what to put in the computer for a good length of time. I consider that call a form of class war.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

The worst example of this is the end of the first season where the cast take part in a talent show. Intercut with the adults watching the Omagh bombing and basically vowing to protect their kids from the violence and hatred.
A noble sentiment, however if you were alive back then you'd remember that the Omagh bombing took place on a Saturday* which begs the question of why are the kids in school doing a talent show.

Now I accept this is just my pedantry, but it's the little things that stand out the most.

The first season takes places in 94 so you know four years before the Omagh bombing if youre getting that pedantic. It's obvious it's meant to be "something like Omagh" that's fictionalized to generally jive with the way the troubles had dipped to become pretty low level in the late 90s with the occasional 'outrage'.

As someone from Derry I'm publically not allowed to say anything bad about the very mild comedy show in case I'm driven from the town into the river.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jedit posted:

The gently caress did you go to school - Dotheboys Hall?

All boys primary school (which only recently, like in the last five years, has seemed to change into a mixed school.) And an all boys secondary school (which as far as I can tell is still part of a religious order.)

It's strange, looking back it does seem quite odd. But at the time it all seemed normal to me.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can explain all of the anachronisms away by having it as canon that an American cocaine trafficker built a time machine in Dunmurry.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Yeah, a friend of my wife's went out with an aristo for a few years. He had his own surname, but when he eventually inherited his lordship he'd lose the surname and just become Lord [Whatever].

In news that surprises everyone, he was a oval office, and went through life describing himself as a 'serial entrepreneur', by which he really meant 'bankrolled to start a string of unprofitable businesses by daddy', until VERY annoyingly one of his businesses succeeded and he ended up being in the most nauseating newspaper column on the planet, the Sunday Telegraph's 'My First Million'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's usually how successful entrepreneurship happens in countries without a proper social safety net.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

The first season takes places in 94 so you know four years before the Omagh bombing if youre getting that pedantic. It's obvious it's meant to be "something like Omagh" that's fictionalized to generally jive with the way the troubles had dipped to become pretty low level in the late 90s with the occasional 'outrage'

Oh I know that if you start looking at the years things get really wonky.
(Omagh happening in 1998 being the big one. But there are other examples.
Like in season 2, the parents go watch the Usual Suspects in the cinema. But it wasn't released in Ireland until December 1995.
Then the season finale was Bill Clinton's visit to Northern Ireland which is depicted as happening around Christmas time/New Years. Despite how in real life it happened in November of 1995, before the Usual Suspects hit Irish cinemas.
Or how one of the side characters talking about how he had gotten divorced in the Republic. But Divorce wasn't legalised until the referendum in 1996. And even then you still had to live apart for 4 out of 5 years. So the earliest divorces that could have happened in the Republic would have been 2000. I mean you could have gotten an annulment, but I think the easier thing is just the writers didn't want to fully research what things were like.)

And that's the strange thing. I know fiction is full of inaccuracies and not meticulously researched. It just bothers me more when I see it in a show like Derry Girls since it's a time frame that I can remember.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm partly impressed at your eye to detail but also relieved that when a show is simple bland mediocre mild amusement I can just watch it without over analysing the minutia

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Hello UKMT goons, are you or anyone you know unemployed?
Do you/they lust after a job that will just butcher their/your quality of life?
Where your loved ones will be annoyed at the fact you'll be working away from home for weeks at a time?
To work in a job where the pay isn't great but the work is hard?
Where you'll work for 4 weeks straight from 6am-4pm the suddenly have to work from 10pm-8am?
That when you suggest this will cause fatigue you will be looked at with derision and told that you have atleast 24 hours off and that fatigue is your problem to deal with?
That you'll work 6 days a week knowing the money you earn on one of those shifts will be taken by an umbrella company?
Where you can work in blistering heat shovelling ballast or in the dead of night at -2 in the driving rain shovelling ballast?
Where racism and misogyny is common?

Then get your PTS and get on the rails, there's a shortage of workers and tons of work on at the moment. Just think, you to could be working 4 hours away from home, staying in the finest 2* hotel your company can legally get away with, spending money on poor quality food because hey, you're here to earn money not spend money all the while working on a project that seems to have been planned by a gibbon flinging its poo poo at a board!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm pretty sure my parents were divorced in 1998 in the Republic, after years of prior separation.

Also never had any school meals provided at primary or secondary level, lots of free milk cartons left sitting next to the radiator though. Mmm radiator milk

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Me, oh me, oh my, Roy
You look like a walking thyroid
You're not a man, you're a gland
You're one big neck with sausage hands

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

This is (naturally) a classic Fawlty Towers sketch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTnEyF_PbD8&t=56s

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm pretty sure my parents were divorced in 1998 in the Republic, after years of prior separation.

Also never had any school meals provided at primary or secondary level, lots of free milk cartons left sitting next to the radiator though. Mmm radiator milk

Ah yes the radiator milk. We had that. Only plain milk or Strawberry milk were the flavours involved.
Rumours abounded of Chocolate or Banana flavoured milk, but our school never ordered those ones.

The actual start of divorce is really hard to pin down. While the refendum passed in 1996, legislation (and court challenges) weren't finished until 1997.
I had assumed that they hadn't backdated the legally required time apart periods (because my wife's father, who was a big campaigner for divorce in Ireland) didn't get an Irish divorce until well into the 2000's.)
But looking online it seems there had been some exceptions. The first man in Ireland to divorce did so because he was dying at the time and wanted to marry his partner before he passed.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

bessantj posted:

Hello UKMT goons, are you or anyone you know unemployed?

Not yet but I've got somewhere between 6 weeks and 3 months left in me before I have a major meltdown and quit my job -

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

An Irish Divorce sounds like a euphemism for something, answers on a postcard.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

An Irish Divorce sounds like a euphemism for something, answers on a postcard.

A quadruple whiskey I suppose.

Sounds like it should have been a Steely Dan song tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWYchJI0Cv8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

The Question IRL posted:

And that's the strange thing. I know fiction is full of inaccuracies and not meticulously researched. It just bothers me more when I see it in a show like Derry Girls since it's a time frame that I can remember.

I get annoyed with one particular Poirot on tv (can't remember which one) where they use the wrong Egyptian flag at an archaeological site. They use the modern one instead of the old green one that would have been in use at the time the story was set.