Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Lacrosse posted:

There was a house at Washaway Beach in Washington for sale for $200,000 last year that has probably already fallen into the sea

people build houses on washaway beach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

indigi posted:

people build houses on washaway beach?

It was known as North Cove and was a popular vacation destination in the 70s and 80s until it started falling into the Pacific Ocean at a rate of 100ft+ a year. The house I mentioned was two blocks from the water when it was on Zillow and is probably already 200' offshore by now

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Here's the effort post I made about Washaway Beach in the hiking/camping thread:

Lacrosse posted:

There's a place in Washington State called Washaway Beach that used to be the town of North Cove until it started falling into the ocean at a rate of about 100' a year starting in the 1980s. You can read more about North Cove here: http://www.washawaybeach.com/history/

Every year I'll see another house in the news that had fallen into the sea during a wind storm. There's actually one for sale right now, for $200,000 you too can watch your home and all of your belongings be taken by Poseidon. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1094-Blue-Pacific-Dr-Grayland-WA-98547/108179666_zpid/

Anyway, I've always wondered if it'd be uncouth to poke around Washaway Beach with a metal detector. A lot of these homes are several yards away from the ocean then a storm rolls in and they're suddenly under the waves within a day, so not enough time to evacuate valuables. There's probably a lot of cool poo poo buried in that sand.

edit: here's a great PDF of maps that show the course of the erosion from the 1940s up until 2013: https://www.co.pacific.wa.us/dcd/images/CAO/2016.03.31%20Washaway%20Beach%20shoreline%20predictions%20%202016-03-31.pdf

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

reminds me of

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

that house jumped in and was like "wheeeeee!"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

A lot of this costal erosion is a result of typically shortsighted capital-driven costal management. Things like homeowners building seawalls to protect their property from storm surge which leads to faster erosion, or dams on rivers preventing silt from replenishing coastal sand, or jetties preventing that sand from being spread along the coast away from rivermouths.

In north county San Diego there's been a constant problem with bluff collapses exacerbated by wealthy development. A bluff collapse last year killed 3 people on the beach very close to a spot where a luxury hotel was doing heavy excavation/construction on the bluff. Just a few weeks ago a popular surf spot had a bluff collapse, rendering the public beach access trail inaccessible. Rich people who live in the area fought for years to stop a city plan to put more sturdy wooden staircase access in, because it would have reduced the number of parking spots. So now instead that beach will be closed all summer.

Cities around here spend millions dredging sand from local harbors & waterways to deposit on local beaches each summer after winter storms drag it all back out to sea.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

bawfuls posted:

A lot of this costal erosion is a result of typically shortsighted capital-driven costal management. Things like homeowners building seawalls to protect their property from storm surge which leads to faster erosion, or dams on rivers preventing silt from replenishing coastal sand, or jetties preventing that sand from being spread along the coast away from rivermouths.

In north county San Diego there's been a constant problem with bluff collapses exacerbated by wealthy development. A bluff collapse last year killed 3 people on the beach very close to a spot where a luxury hotel was doing heavy excavation/construction on the bluff. Just a few weeks ago a popular surf spot had a bluff collapse, rendering the public beach access trail inaccessible. Rich people who live in the area fought for years to stop a city plan to put more sturdy wooden staircase access in, because it would have reduced the number of parking spots. So now instead that beach will be closed all summer.

Cities around here spend millions dredging sand from local harbors & waterways to deposit on local beaches each summer after winter storms drag it all back out to sea.

Hawaii, Maui is a test case of this. Hawaii for 1000's of years had some of the best beaches in the world, dumbass developers came in, created private beaches with seawalls etc to section off parts of it for exclusive resorts, and now Hawaii has to import some sickening amount of sand every year from Australia, otherwise the beach will erode to nothing.

Of course the democrats of the state blame climate change (which obviously is real, but isn't the primary cuase of the erosion), it's the lovely shore-line management that has been enabled by wanton policies to allow Hilton et al to build on the beach, instead of offset sufficiently to prevent shore errosion.
https://www.hawaii.edu/news/2018/12/10/failure-to-protect-beaches-rising-sea-level/

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 03:11 on May 11, 2022

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
more like

frights in Rodanthe

more like

plights in Rodanthe

:blastu:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
people are just stupid about water in general. i live in the ohio valley and there was a story a few years ago of a guy building a normal house in the bottoms, where all the other houses sit on stilts due to the river flooding every spring. Insurance companies refused to insure it because he built in a flood zone but he's A Brave American Who Doesn't Listen To "Reason" and then his house was destroyed in a flood and he bitched that no one warned him.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Reminds me of the Terra Nativa development in Boise. The city told them they were building on an unstable base. The rich fuckers went and found themselves an engineer who'd say differently and built anyway to predictable results.

then they sued the city for letting them rely on their lovely report.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

it becomes exponentially harder to make close friends once you’re out of school because bonding is primarily a function of in-person time spent together (for neurotypicals/non-socioaffective disorders). poo poo like zoom/facetime counts but is like 1/6 as impactful

college campuses have walkable urban design with plenty of public social space and non-car-based transit available

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

college campuses have walkable urban design with plenty of public social space and non-car-based transit available

I live right next to the U of Minn main campus, east bank, and yeah it's nice to have that option close by, though some of the other surrounding area has made a lot of improvements as well

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

actionjackson posted:

I live right next to the U of Minn main campus, east bank, and yeah it's nice to have that option close by, though some of the other surrounding area has made a lot of improvements as well

The John Berryman Memorial Bridge is a nice stroll.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah college is school

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

it’s wild that a not-insignificant percent of the population has lived on a college campus: which is a great example of pedestrian oriented urban design…

and yet many people still hate anything denser than Detached single family homes

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

not that wild, they associate college life with cramped dormitory living where you share a bathroom with a dozen other people

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yeah I used to live right off campus, so I could walk to class and a couple of the bars. I'd regularly see people I had classes with and talk with them over a few drinks. There's nothing like that here in the suburbs.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

you don’t have kids in college

usyally

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

bawfuls posted:

not that wild, they associate college life with cramped dormitory living where you share a bathroom with a dozen other people

okay so instead of 400 sf dorms with two peoples make it 800 sf apartments with private bathrooms for one peoples.

I get your point tho

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

actionjackson posted:

Minneapolis has a great bus system and expanding rail I wish I still lived there.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

gas

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

hi thread i bought a house 20 miles outside of austin in fall 2020 for $187k

Zillow thinks it’s worth a cool half a million now

its a 1500 sq ft 3 bed/2 bath

what do

oh and all my friends are seemingly paying more to rent apartments than i pay in mortgage :(

wolfs has issued a correction as of 03:44 on May 12, 2022

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Do we have a homesteading thread?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wolfs posted:

what do

lol manor, right? hope you enjoy tesla traffic

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

wolfs posted:

what do

sell it and gently caress off to the woods or somethin

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

wolfs posted:

what do

Take out a HELOC and buy another house. Become a real estate influencer, free money.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i say swears online posted:

lol manor, right? hope you enjoy tesla traffic

unincorporated travis county land thank you very much :colbert:

it’s a toss up if manor or elgin annexes me eventually

traffic has already gotten worse on 290 - stoplights are being put on it to accommodate all the new construction right off of it

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

When the wife and I purchased our house it was literally a long drawn out conversation about how we can never, ever move because of the potential of a massive housing crash. Like we're obviously not going to lose our jobs as ICU nurses but the idea of moving and trying to sell a property in a recession is laughable. We even didn't get into a bidding war with the house and paid asking price.

Thankfully there's good biking trails around where I live so I'll be content until I have a psychotic break at my job.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

okay so instead of 400 sf dorms with two peoples make it 800 sf apartments with private bathrooms for one peoples.

I get your point tho

This is what dorms are now. The days of two or three to a room and a bathroom down the hall are over, schools are building suite style dorms to attract students and have been for some time.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

The Demilich posted:

youre lookin at it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

fart simpson posted:

youre lookin at it

you can also brag about your house renovations here

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

This is what dorms are now. The days of two or three to a room and a bathroom down the hall are over, schools are building suite style dorms to attract students and have been for some time.

In that case, I was right all along.

Hopefully that helps the next generation realize how awesome condensed smart urbanism can be for quality of life.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

AnimeIsTrash posted:

you can also brag about your house renovations here

i put a new toilet seat on my toilet so it doesn't make a loud bang when the seat comes down

lowes had one with LED lights so I could poo poo fast and furious but it was like $30 lol

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

all my toilet seats have soft towel like material covers on them because I don’t like a cold bum

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

In that case, I was right all along.

Hopefully that helps the next generation realize how awesome condensed smart urbanism can be for quality of life.

US education is so dysfunctional and miserable that nobody who experienced it will ever want to replicate any aspect of it in the world beyond, and rightfully so

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Is this the thread to post in if I am in the final stages of buying a house after 10 months of looking / fighting dozens of offers on every loving property we look at and to be pushed two cities further from work due to rising costs and shrinking inventory and though all media tells me I should be high fiving my wife in slow-mo while we pick plants for the front yard I instead feel all-encompassing dread mixed a seething desire for this whole awful process to just be finished?

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i am harry posted:

all my toilet seats have soft towel like material covers on them because I don’t like a cold bum

what if you miss and poo poo on the towel

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Springfield Fatts posted:

Is this the thread to post in if I am in the final stages of buying a house after 10 months of looking / fighting dozens of offers on every loving property we look at and to be pushed two cities further from work due to rising costs and shrinking inventory and though all media tells me I should be high fiving my wife in slow-mo while we pick plants for the front yard I instead feel all-encompassing dread mixed a seething desire for this whole awful process to just be finished?

I want to buy a house right now but I also don't want this for myself

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Demilich posted:

There's an actual one in the hobby forum or the outdoor forum. I forget which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

it is very difficult to buy a house in ireland