Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I apparently somehow played DS2 in a way where I basically saw zero of its infamous crazy enemy tracking. I remember the big rusty knights in Heide's having some noticeable tracking on their big downward strike, but only to the extent that the dodge timing was a bit tighter - I needed to avoid the impact rather than the swing as a whole. No crazy 180 spins or whatever.

Also Dark Souls fans have brainworms where any amount of i-frames less than DS1's flippy ninja fast roll is bad and unplayable. Not to say that AGL wasn't a weird and dumb failed experiment, because it certainly was.

Byzantine posted:

Is there not a riposte after a parry anymore or am I missing it somehow?

DS2 made the timings weird, is the short of it. The long of it is that sometimes you can do a quick DS1-style riposte if you get lucky with the exact right timing, but more often you'll knock the enemy down at which point you need to wait a beat for the animation to fully complete and then do a coup de grace.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 02:29 on May 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

every post i read about "immersion" in videogames just makes me understand it even less

I think it's just 'how easily can you get sucked into playing the game?'

Like people posting 'huh, I haven't played Terraria I a while let me fire that up- oh poo poo, where'd those 9 hours go?'

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'll just go ahead and post:

losing max hp each time you die is poo poo, having to travel back to the second bonfire to level up is really annoying, and what the gently caress did they do to iframes

I figure everything else I'll get used to, but urgh...

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Byzantine posted:

losing max hp each time you die is poo poo, having to travel back to the second bonfire to level up is really annoying, and what the gently caress did they do to iframes

For the iframes, you have to kinda bite the bullet and spend levels to get your ADP stat up to around 30ish (iirc, that should be pretty much on par with the normal DS1 roll).

For the other two things, yeah you're stuck with 'em. Sorry.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I'm watching Geop's LP of DS2 and it looks unplayable. The enemies spin like on a lazy susan, dodging has no i-frames unless you pump up a specific stat and the animations are just so stiff and awkward. It's hideous, too, even the updated rerelease

DS2 has a lot of clunky aspects like this but it earned some vocal fans for having the best build variety and most fun multiplayer of any game in the series. the devs responded by making a whole class of builds entirely worthless, making DLCs that poo poo on another broad swathe of builds, and splitting the population with scholar of the first sin (and now there's no online whatsoever on PC). it used to be my favorite game in the series and I loved it enough to complete a no-death run, but at this point the things that made me keep starting new characters are gone while it still has all of flaws it's always had.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

also watching someone play a game isn't the same as playing a game

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Regarding ADP, the stat to look out for is agility. Getting it to 99 or 100 is the most bang for your buck. (100 gives you an additional iframe for your backstep if you even ever bother to use it.) I think attunement also gives you agility so you don't need to invest as heavily into it if you're going for a magic build. The game plays fine, though, imo. I just went through it last fall and had a pretty good time apart from how many bosses there were with multiple enemies

Also, as for losing max hp, there's a ring you can pick up in Heide's Tower near the start of the game that caps the loss at 25% rather than 50%, which should ease things up. The mistake I'd made in the early game was just foolishly not investing enough levels into vigor. I did the opposite in DS3 and managed to steamroll 80% of the game since I was no longer dying in 2 hits from most bosses

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Each of the Dark Souls games is the best and worst in the series.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

It feels like someone on the team that made Salt and Sacrifice was working from a "how to make a bad soulslike" cheat sheet.

*Emphasis on grinding
*Very limited fast travel
*Consumables, including healing, must be gathered
*Emphasis on multiplayer
*Difficult to gather weapon upgrade materials
*Tons of screenwide attacks
*Very common for bosses to combo you to death if you get hit once

I still enjoy the core gameplay enough to like it but yeesh, they made a ton of attempts at reinventing the wheel vs. their previous game (which is one of my all time favorites) and I kind of hate all of them.

aw man i really liked salt and sanctuary :(

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Dark Souls 2 is better at the RPG part and worse at the action part of Action RPG than the rest of the series.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Kit Walker posted:

I just went through it last fall and had a pretty good time apart from how many bosses there were with multiple enemies

I feel like this isn't as huge a deal in DS2 as it's made out to be.

Especially with how bad it is in Elden Ring.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I'm just wondering why do many things that are seen as a problem (or more fairly, that I consider a problem, in general they might not be noticed by players) in games make it into the subsequent games in the series. For example: there are enemies in Dark Souls 3 that pivot 180 degrees on the spot (the knights, most notably, which is really noticable because I farm them for the Proof of Concord Kept, for a spell/trophy), they also lock on to you and their attacks track you. The backstabbing sometimes just doesn't work. The lock-on button sometimes lock on on a more distant enemy (or not at all). Ranged enemies tend to have impossibly good aim and/or range.

And as far as I can tell, those problems were carried from DS 2 to DS 3 to Elden Ring now, and I don't really know why. FROM not being very good at optimization is one thing, but that is really something else. I guess it's just something you put up with for the rest of the game, though - irritating though they are I still enjoy playing the game.

Also I'm playing a bit of DS 2 while playing DS 3 and the difference in how the durability is treated is quite stark - my sword is halfway broken by defeating a few of the stone knights in Heide's tower (not that I survive much more, but still). I did have a bit of a laugh at how the entrance is presented from the inside, though:D

Szurumbur has a new favorite as of 11:42 on May 12, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Byzantine posted:

Is there not a riposte after a parry anymore or am I missing it somehow?

I can't parry for poo poo in DS3, let alone riposte. I haven't pulled off a successful one yet even though I'm using a really good knight shield. Backstabbing seems a lot easier than DS1 though.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

The Moon Monster posted:

It feels like someone on the team that made Salt and Sacrifice was working from a "how to make a bad soulslike" cheat sheet.

*Emphasis on grinding
*Very limited fast travel
*Consumables, including healing, must be gathered
*Emphasis on multiplayer
*Difficult to gather weapon upgrade materials
*Tons of screenwide attacks
*Very common for bosses to combo you to death if you get hit once

I still enjoy the core gameplay enough to like it but yeesh, they made a ton of attempts at reinventing the wheel vs. their previous game (which is one of my all time favorites) and I kind of hate all of them.

Oh poo poo is that out now?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Frank Frank posted:

Oh poo poo is that out now?

It came out on Tuesday, yeah

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

Byzantine posted:

I am always reluctant to use consumables because I never know how plentiful they will be, so I spent way too much of the beginning of DS2 playing at half health. They should have scrapped that mechanic completely. If they were keeping it in (which they should not), instead of a consumable the player should fast travel to the hub and pray at a shrine or something to recover (or have that replenish a consumable that could be used later).

The fact that DS2 had fast travel was such an improvement over my DS1 experience that I didn't mind using it to level up.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Majula is FROM's best hub area

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

kazil posted:

I think coming out of that tunnel into sunset in Majula overlooking the sea was the first time a souls game made me say “wow”.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kazil posted:

I poo poo on DS2 for a lot of things but Majula is a banger they've not matched.

Adaptability, and more pressing, agility, is a really stupid stat but its less stupid if you're a wizard of some kind and honestly the entire game feels like they absolutely do not want you to play it with a melee weapon and that its the hard mode.

Its also a preference thing but Dark Souls 2 is a much, much, better sequel to Dark Souls 1 than DS3 is, even if the DLC of DS3 provides the satisfying answer to the Dark Soul's meta question DS2 and DS1 grappled with.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
A game is immersive if you feel bad taking the evil options and/or sad that a character died or had unfortunate things happen to them.

If a character loses all their life's work and/or family and/or etc and your response is lol, the game is not immersive.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I am giving DS1 another crack and I feel like however not encumbered I am I still feel like I'm fat rolling. It might just be because it feels a lot slower than every other from soft game I've played though. This is the only one with "souls" in the name I've tried fwiw.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I am giving DS1 another crack and I feel like however not encumbered I am I still feel like I'm fat rolling. It might just be because it feels a lot slower than every other from soft game I've played though. This is the only one with "souls" in the name I've tried fwiw.

The rolls and enemies get faster in each title, is basically it. Like go back to Kings Field and wow you move and turn slow.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Immersion is when you have to regularly go to the toilet in the game and there is a button prompt for every step from dropping your pants to wiping your rear end and when you miss a step an NPC says "Alan you have poo poo your pants" or "Alan you smell terrible please wipe your rear end".

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Frank Frank posted:

I think coming out of that tunnel into sunset in Majula overlooking the sea was the first time a souls game made me say “wow”.

Yeah it's definitely in my mind's eye as well.

I had the same reaction to the shrine of amana when I first got there. I thought the ambiance and the score was stunning. I may be easily impressed.

Then I made it a fifth of the way into the zone and the sniping mages appeared :smith:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The approach to drangleic is also great, the perfect counterpoint to the radiance of Anor Londo, with its shadowy desolation.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Frank Frank posted:

The secret sauce of Soulsborne art direction is how they handle light, and Majula is one of the strongest examples.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Frank Frank posted:

I haven't played DS2, so I looked this up and you weren't joking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2yZxfrywAk

Gorgeous! :allears: I felt this way about some of the cliffs in Shadow of the Colossus, although that was with fuzzy PS2 graphics.

We need a PYF Locations in Games thread!

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I decided to try the Fall of the Republic mod for Empire at War and dear god is this rough.

Like the Total War series the game has a strategic layer and a tactical layer but unlike Total War I can’t see poo poo!

The camera is way too zoomed in and there’s no way to see where you’re looking on the minimap unless you click on a planet and see the little blue circle around it.

I have no idea where the enemy is and I can barely find my own armies or even which planets I own.

Oh, the enemy is sending a fleet to Utapau? Where the gently caress is that? Why can’t I search for these things, the only option I’ve found is to cycle through each planet alphabetically.

I haven’t even gotten to a fight yet because the entire strategic layer is a mess.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

jjack229 posted:

I am always reluctant to use consumables because I never know how plentiful they will be, so I spent way too much of the beginning of DS2 playing at half health. They should have scrapped that mechanic completely. If they were keeping it in (which they should not), instead of a consumable the player should fast travel to the hub and pray at a shrine or something to recover (or have that replenish a consumable that could be used later).

The fact that DS2 had fast travel was such an improvement over my DS1 experience that I didn't mind using it to level up.

Although this also led to a lot of people using the small white soapstone and it’s a travesty they never brought it back

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Small white soapstone was such a slam dunk. Help someone else with a stretch of a dozen or so tough enemies, get your health and estus back. Everybody wins.

So of course it had to die.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Honestly even if the rewards weren't so great the idea of just like bite-sized co-op was something that really added to the experience

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, it was just fun and then the reward was essentially a lottery ticket for loot.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Just wait til you experience the final boss.

(re: Sonic Generations)

Honestly none of the mechanics about fighting the final boss made any sense. So you got weird long-legged Sonic and cool old Sonic (though it frustrates me that this game tries to suggest that the old fashioned Sonic is actually just a "younger" version of long-legged Sonic, which I guess implies that Sonic from 1, 2, 3, Knuckles, etc. were all just little kiddo Sonic who hadn't yet discovered chili dogs and can't talk but whatever) and you're flying through a Time Tunnel or something. And you dodge the occasional missile. Super easy. But you can also like, launch old Sonic, as if he were a weapon? But to what end? I launched him at the boss, didn't do anything. I tried launching him at the missiles but I never hit them. So I don't know what good throwing Sonic around does.

Secondly, there are two perspectives you can play, and in fact your annoying little helper buddy even tells you to change perspectives. So instead of following behind Sonic in a tunnel, the camera whips around to where you're kind of just controlling Sonic in a 2D space. But why? By switching to this mode, it makes dodging the missiles a little trickier but not because you're operating on like a pseudo-2D plane; the missiles are still operating in 3D space but it's hard to tell where Sonic is in relation to them. Also a couple times I changed perspective, I found Sonic was outside the time tunnel and had to be slowly dragged back in. This happened a few times.

Fighting the boss was easy; you just scoot around, dodging slow moving missiles until you're close enough to do an attack or something. So what's the point of throwing Sonic? What's the point of changing perspectives?

I did die four times because I couldn't really tell when and where the rings would be appearing. Ah well. Sonic Generations was a pretty cool game when it was cool, but ultimately it was kinda just another weird Sonic game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Immersion is when you have to regularly go to the toilet in the game and there is a button prompt for every step from dropping your pants to wiping your rear end and when you miss a step an NPC says "Alan you have poo poo your pants" or "Alan you smell terrible please wipe your rear end".

Are you a Star Citizen backer?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My Lovely Horse posted:

Just because you were stuck in the Dark Place for years doesn't mean you get to live like an animal now, gawd :rolleyes:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Just started Salt and Sacrifice and holy poo poo the "ranged mode" controls are bullshit. How the gently caress am I supposed to aim with the right stick and shoot with the square button when releasing the right stick snaps back to center? Sure hope this mechanic isn't important.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Frank Frank posted:

Just started Salt and Sacrifice and holy poo poo the "ranged mode" controls are bullshit. How the gently caress am I supposed to aim with the right stick and shoot with the square button when releasing the right stick snaps back to center? Sure hope this mechanic isn't important.

I've got a few hours in now and so far it's not, thankfully. It is terrible, especially since you can aim with the left stick but you also move while aiming so it's useless. Except sometimes at certain very specific angles you don't move? For some reason??

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Crowetron posted:

I've got a few hours in now and so far it's not, thankfully. It is terrible, especially since you can aim with the left stick but you also move while aiming so it's useless. Except sometimes at certain very specific angles you don't move? For some reason??

Poking around in the settings you can change ranged settings to "toggle" - the downside is that it locks you into ranged mode until you hit the button again. It's not perfect but it's better than the default.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I gotta say after playing Salt and Sacrifice for an hour or two and echoing what someone else further up the thread said, they really hosed this up. All of the charm of the original is gone. The combat feels floaty and not as satisfying as before. None of the attacks seem to have “weight” to them. Level design is uninteresting and whoever thought introducing crafting to this game was a good idea for like, healing flask charges is an idiot. I’m already starting to lose interest.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 02:27 on May 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kit Walker posted:

Also, as for losing max hp, there's a ring you can pick up in Heide's Tower near the start of the game that caps the loss at 25% rather than 50%, which should ease things up. The mistake I'd made in the early game was just foolishly not investing enough levels into vigor. I did the opposite in DS3 and managed to steamroll 80% of the game since I was no longer dying in 2 hits from most bosses

Something oft-overlooked is that not only does the ring cap how much HP you can lose total, it also cuts how much HP you lose per death. Granted, the one sucky thing is that Scholar made getting the ring a much more troublesome process than OG DS2...

Szurumbur posted:

I'm just wondering why do many things that are seen as a problem (or more fairly, that I consider a problem, in general they might not be noticed by players) in games make it into the subsequent games in the series.

More than that, half the poo poo that people claim ruins DS2 are things that DS1 did in the first place but was fine there for some reason. :iiam:

jjack229 posted:

There is actually already a shrine that does that, but it comes 2/3rds of the way through the game and only works if you have completely and absolutely exhausted every single one of your Human Effigies first. Not a perfect or convenient solution but they did seemingly think about the problem a little bit.

Then in DS3 it's back to oops lol you ran out of Embers? Time to farm for more, rear end in a top hat.