Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Stereotype posted:

Oahu used to be much bigger, more like the size that big island is today, so i quickly overlaid them. the part of the island that remains and i live on is only one side of what used to be a massive mountain that fell into the sea
and to think i moved here so i'd only have to worry about hurricanes :rubby:

but hey, google immediately tossed me a survey asking why i searched about "hawaii island collapse" and gave me 36 cents for it

stringless has issued a correction as of 10:26 on May 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

FFT posted:

and to think i moved here so i'd only have to worry about hurricanes :rubby:

but hey, google immediately tossed me a survey asking why i searched about "hawaii island collapse" and gave me 36 cents for it

What happened now?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

A Bakers Cousin posted:

What happened now?

Sometimes when you search for google poo poo and you have the google rewards app it will ask you why you search for something and pay you for it. Then you can use that money on dumb poo poo like apps or buying books (what I do)

I've already hosed every level of privacy i had back when I was poor and doing everything i could for cash to survive so i've just continued doing it because nothing matters.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/JBuchinskyWX/status/1522754940485132288

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

silicone thrills posted:

Sometimes when you search for google poo poo and you have the google rewards app it will ask you why you search for something and pay you for it. Then you can use that money on dumb poo poo like apps or buying books (what I do)

I've already hosed every level of privacy i had back when I was poor and doing everything i could for cash to survive so i've just continued doing it because nothing matters.
yeah, originally it was just randomized or maybe location-based obvious marketing stuff, but a while back it also started being about "did you watch this video, and would you watch this other seemingly-related video?"

and two or three times now it's asked about searches

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm assuming books don't play well with kindle i never thought to buy books I just let my kids use it for dumbass wasteful app purchase

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007
I pray that China stops targeting good Christian areas of our country with their top secret tornado gun

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

some fancy beachfront homes are on fire in laguna beach

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

If a nuke could kill a hurricane you know we would have nuked New Orleans

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Real hurthling! posted:

some fancy beachfront homes are on fire in laguna beach

https://twitter.com/FOXLA/status/1524553085351186433
https://twitter.com/CBSLA/status/1524548292515930113
https://twitter.com/SamSagnella/status/1524589918370123776
https://twitter.com/stuartpalley/status/1524561975434301442

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

cool

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

take out more multi million dollar homes tia

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

George H.W. oval office posted:

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

George H.W. oval office posted:

burn the rich!

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

AEMINAL posted:

burn the rich!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AEMINAL posted:

burn the rich!

No, we need to cook them to a nice medium rare.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

That is impressive how much fire you get out of a big mansion like that. From ground level it really towers over you.
https://twitter.com/NWSBoulder/status/1524704501143273472
:allbuttons:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7OvPTmhtiY

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
I'm not saying that rich people's homes and possessions burning away is good, but I am ABSOLUTELY NOT saying that it isn't good.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Chief McHeath posted:

I'm not saying that rich people's homes and possessions burning away is good, but I am ABSOLUTELY NOT saying that it isn't good.

But they have insurance so will likely not be super impacted

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

tater_salad posted:

But they have insurance so will likely not be super impacted

For now. Can't wait until just one super destructive fire season they get told "good luck, gently caress off"

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

For now. Can't wait until just one super destructive fire season they get told "good luck, gently caress off"

That's only going to happen to fake rich people. Actual rich people will be profiting off of the insurance companies folding.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Insurance companies don't fold, they get bailed out. When they get bailed out they don't have to give up any executive bonuses or even pause stock buybacks. No matter what happens, they know they cannot fail because they will just ask for and get as much bailout money as they asked for.

If it's not bad enough to need a bailout they just raise insurance rates everywhere. It's a business model that cannot lose.

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 19:29 on May 12, 2022

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

Insurance companies don't fold, they get bailed out. When they get bailed out they don't have to give up any executive bonuses or even pause stock buybacks. No matter what happens, they know they cannot fail because they will just ask for and get as much bailout money as they asked for.

If it's not bad enough to need a bailout they just raise insurance rates everywhere. It's a business model that cannot lose.

I would ask the question of why the government does not merely guarantee some maximum payout per account holder in the event of insurance company collapse (a la the FDIC) while letting the insurance company fold under the consequences of its own bad policy writing, but the obvious answer to that is “because that does not benefit the wealthy who make money using the insurance companies, and who can afford to lobby for friendlier government regulations”. So instead I will ask the question “how is it that the FDIC got to be so comparatively friendly towards people who have to work in order to live?”

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Grundulum posted:

I would ask the question of why the government does not merely guarantee some maximum payout per account holder in the event of insurance company collapse (a la the FDIC) while letting the insurance company fold under the consequences of its own bad policy writing, but the obvious answer to that is “because that does not benefit the wealthy who make money using the insurance companies, and who can afford to lobby for friendlier government regulations”. So instead I will ask the question “how is it that the FDIC got to be so comparatively friendly towards people who have to work in order to live?”

It was instated at a time (1933) when the ruling class was legitimately afraid of a revolution.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

The FDIC is not much better, they have been captured like the other regulators and they don't have the resources to survive a true run on the banks for more than a day or two. Their deposit insurance fund ran out last crisis and nobody really noticed or did anything about it, it would take an act of congress to increase their resources or something.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Pryor on Fire posted:

That is impressive how much fire you get out of a big mansion like that. From ground level it really towers over you.
https://twitter.com/NWSBoulder/status/1524704501143273472
:allbuttons:

people living in areas at risk of wildfires should be very serious about making their emergency plans

dying in a fire is probably the most horrific and painful way to die, and wildfires commonly move much faster than you can run

it's been a while since I got my wildland firefighting certification so i looked it up, but apparently they move 6-14 mph without wind across flat ground

speed increases with wind and inclination (fire spreads faster uphill since heat rises), but even going downhill two years ago a wildfire in california was clocked spreading at around 40mph

wildfires can spread high up across tree canopies and the embers from a wildfire (firebrands) can travel miles through the air and start new fires

the heat from a usual wildfire is so extreme that things a hundred feet away will start to spontaneously combust

even the smoke will kill you

basically if a wildfire is heading in your direction you should be taking it as seriously as an incoming nuclear missile (more serious, even. it will be a much more painful death)

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

IT'S SO HOT

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/1524853540262678528

The other incident they're referring to is a crash that killed three OU meteorology students on their way home from storm chasing a few weeks ago.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/coachgabel23/status/1524886055752720392

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/NWSSiouxFalls/status/1524903231771627527

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Zerg Mans posted:

IT'S SO HOT

It was 30 a few loving days ago.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

I live in the area and for how fast the storm came and went, it hosed up a lot of trees and buildings. This is a brand new water tower, or was one, anyway.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

feels like fire season is gonna be off the chain this year

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah so glad I opted for an AC unit in the northeast.

Growing up we had a few hot days and I hate heat.. but don't remember sweating my rear end off.
As a young adult I saved up, bought an AC for my room and told my parents if they are worried about the energy I'd gladly pay the difference in their electric bill.

now I have a whole house AC for when I replaced my old rear end furnace, becuase we go from frigid tundra season, to wet season, to Rainforest (My area not only routinely gets 90° days now, but our humidity is always >60% which just plain is miserable.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

The Pussy Boss posted:

feels like fire season is gonna be off the chain this year

Nice, I’m in Equal. Now all I have to worry about is the smoke from the other 98% of the county burning.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

tater_salad posted:

Yeah so glad I opted for an AC unit in the northeast.

Growing up we had a few hot days and I hate heat.. but don't remember sweating my rear end off.
As a young adult I saved up, bought an AC for my room and told my parents if they are worried about the energy I'd gladly pay the difference in their electric bill.

now I have a whole house AC for when I replaced my old rear end furnace, becuase we go from frigid tundra season, to wet season, to Rainforest (My area not only routinely gets 90° days now, but our humidity is always >60% which just plain is miserable.

Heat loving sucks so much. Woulda been nice to live somewhere it got proper cold but I think even that might be rarer going forward. I always remember people from cold places going "yeah, it doesnt really snow as snow anymore. Mostly just ice" and get super depressed

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

yeah in the Northeast we didn't really get to start skiing on downhill slopes until January because the typically somewhat snowy Nov/Dec is now mostly snows twice and gets wiped out by rain the next day. One year we got like 6ft of lake effect snow in November that was gone in about a week due to it being 50 and rainy again.

I also cross country ski.. and I am able to get out approximately 3 times a year, because we got snow.. then it's 35 which means now instead of skiing you're just dragging balls of snow on your skiis.

My current weather pattern
Spring: early summer or Late winter.. whichever the pattern decides for the year
Summer: hot Humid (wet?)
Fall: Late summer or Early winter
Winter1 (Nov-Dec): WEt.. snow but back to 50f next day
winter 2 (Jan-Mar): Cold (routine days at 10F), Wet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

love to xc ski