Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/Dario_Melendez/status/1524054068712423425

Desperate attempt at getting some positive vibes for the team, or testing Milwaukee as an expansion location?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

xzzy posted:

Desperate attempt at getting some positive vibes for the team, or testing Milwaukee as an expansion location?

I will only accept this if Rich Evans is the mascot of the new team. He and Gritty can strip and have oil bath fights.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

xzzy posted:

lol, no chance in hell the NHL will expand anywhere north of the Mason-Dixon as long as Gary Bettman is alive.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

A bunch of teams already locked into the playoffs playing half-assed hockey is not necessarily a metric I would use for future success

but Tage Thompson looked good out there

Yeah, Toronto was just pretending to suck in the Heritage Classic, uh huh.

The Dirty Burger posted:

Seen this exact post (minus the One Eichel part) every April for like a decade from Sabres fans, like Charlie Brown with Lucy and the football

They went 16-9-3 after March 1, including an 8-game point streak. They haven’t done that well that late in the season in the past ten years. Dahlin was playing like a stud and scored over 50 points. Owen Power already looks great. They actually have legitimately good prospects in the pipeline, including AHL Rookie of the Year Jack Quinn who was like 2 ppg. Tage Thompson scored 37 goals, Skinner had 33 and Kyle loving Okposo scored 21 goals. There is a lot to feel good about going into the off-season, especially since they have three first round picks in the draft and a shitload of cap space to spend on free agency. They are finally on the cusp of something great.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I was gonna be super witty and post a but_the_future_refused_to_change.png, but y'know what? Let's just let a Sabres fan enjoy the sensation of hope for a few months.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bragging about .570 hockey.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I will never forget how, like nearly a decade ago (maybe not that long, but before Eichel was drafted for sure) I had a Sabres fan on here smugly tell me that the Bruins were going to slide into irrelevance and the Sabres would be dominant "very soon"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Same guy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I will never forget how, like nearly a decade ago (maybe not that long, but before Eichel was drafted for sure) I had a Sabres fan on here smugly tell me that the Bruins were going to slide into irrelevance and the Sabres would be dominant "very soon"

That might also have been BB, he's been around a long time. Or is that :thejoke:?

e: f;b

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

I was gonna be super witty and post a but_the_future_refused_to_change.png, but y'know what? Let's just let a Sabres fan enjoy the sensation of hope for a few months.

This happens quite literally every year and I am astounded and respectful of Sabres fans ability to do this so consistently

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I finally got around to building this idea I had kicking around. For when you missed a game, but want something a bit more climactic than just checking the score, and don't want it spoiled, but also don't want to just watch the recap video via Don't Tell Me The Score, for some reason. Ok I guess it's a pretty narrow use case but anyway, behold: Scoreboard Watching!

https://dev.gddrt.com/scoreboard/

It uses the NHL API to load schedule and play-by-play data for any game and then replays it on a little simulated scoreboard. Still needs a lot of polish and a few bugs fixed (shootouts are totally busted but I've got until next season to fix that :v: ) but I'll fix it up as I have time.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

xzzy posted:

Seeing if people from Wisconsin would be willing to root for a team that protected a sexual abuser, since people from Chicago have mostly stopped going to games.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm sure it's because of the rapist protection and not because the team sucks now, the fine people of Chicago are a moral beacon for us all to look to

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm sure it's because of the rapist protection and not because the team sucks now, the fine people of Chicago are a moral beacon for us all to look to

I'm pretty sure it's actually because they all got shot in gang wars

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Matthews, McDavid and Shesterkin as the top three for the Hart. I know there were a few other candidates but this was probably the most likely top three.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

Matthews, McDavid and Shesterkin as the top three for the Hart. I know there were a few other candidates but this was probably the most likely top three.

Feels like Matthews will win it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Gaudreau's season is probably the best non Hart Trophy nominee season since like the first lockout at least

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's literally the reason I stopped watching or going to any games

And I do recall a stadium full of Brewers fans giving Josh Hader a standing ovation for Tweeting "I hate gay people" and "white power" soooooo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Milwaukee's already the Chicago market. They're not putting a second team there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ginette Reno posted:

Feels like Matthews will win it.

Yeah agreed. It should be McDavid as always but it's boring voting for the same guy every year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

Milwaukee's already the Chicago market. They're not putting a second team there.

Allegedly that's why Milwaukee has never had one, dollar Bill threw a tantrum whenever it was suggested. But he's gone now and the team's reputation is in the shitter.

The league rarely does anything that makes sense when it comes to locating franchises, now that they got one stuffed in almost every major western city it's time to test the waters elsewhere. I guess SLC or New Orleans are the most obvious spots left, but after that it's time to start intruding on existing markets.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hockey's relatively low TV ratings are why they avoid regional overlap.

The belief is a team in another's TV market isn't adding new fans, just splitting them in the short term. Long term? Sure, but the current owners will be dead by then and don't want to lose money.

So I guess what I'm saying is that now is the perfect time to put a new team in Gatineau.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

So I guess what I'm saying is that now is the perfect time to put a new team in Gatineau Hartford.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

T-Bone posted:

Gaudreau's season is probably the best non Hart Trophy nominee season since like the first lockout at least

Huberdeau too, 115pts next closest was Barkov at 88

Not that anybody can argue about the 3 that ended up being chosen, scoring is up and it fuckin owns

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
https://twitter.com/chrisconte79/status/1524762276644806656?s=21&t=sleXooWx7-9O8_Mix_byPQ

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003
How have I never seen this before

https://youtu.be/M3X5Dd28a7U

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fisting by many posted:

I finally got around to building this idea I had kicking around. For when you missed a game, but want something a bit more climactic than just checking the score, and don't want it spoiled, but also don't want to just watch the recap video via Don't Tell Me The Score, for some reason. Ok I guess it's a pretty narrow use case but anyway, behold: Scoreboard Watching!

https://dev.gddrt.com/scoreboard/

It uses the NHL API to load schedule and play-by-play data for any game and then replays it on a little simulated scoreboard. Still needs a lot of polish and a few bugs fixed (shootouts are totally busted but I've got until next season to fix that :v: ) but I'll fix it up as I have time.

I just wanted to say this is very cool and worked great for me when I tried it out. Great idea!

One suggestion but is there a way to add a shot clock like you see on scoreboards? Knowing when and in what bunches the shots come would give a good sense of game momentum.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 12, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I loaded up Rangers-Pens on it from last night and the first two events it shows are "2 minutes for slashing Crosby" and "2 minutes for elbowing Guentzel" but please tell me more about how the Rangers aren't targeting the Penguins' two best players :allears:

Cool gadget though!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I will say I'm enjoying the rangers pens series a lot. My earliest hockey memory is losing game 7 of the finals to Mike Richter and the rangers in 94 and I don't think I'll ever forgive them.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

I loaded up Rangers-Pens on it from last night and the first two events it shows are "2 minutes for slashing Crosby" and "2 minutes for elbowing Guentzel" but please tell me more about how the Rangers aren't targeting the Penguins' two best players :allears:

Cool gadget though!

Breaking News: Hockey team tries to stop the two players who have scored 9 goals in 5 games during a possibly season ending game. Analysts are blown away by this never-before-seen strategy.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mike Works posted:

How have I never seen this before

https://youtu.be/M3X5Dd28a7U

I want to make fun but holy hell this is just sad af.

Lol @ trotz

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It made Toronto flip out and declare a Tavares day so it was great actually.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

ThinkTank posted:

I just wanted to say this is very cool and worked great for me when I tried it out. Great idea!

One suggestion but is there a way to add a shot clock like you see on scoreboards? Knowing when and in what bunches the shots come would give a good sense of game momentum.

Yeah, I'll definitely add shots. Maybe even shot attempts and some sort of pressure gauge based on shots over the last X minutes.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I will say I'm enjoying the rangers pens series a lot. My earliest hockey memory is losing game 7 of the finals to Mike Richter and the rangers in 94 and I don't think I'll ever forgive them.

I remember this year well. I was nine years old and my dad let me and my brother stay up to watch Game 7 Devils-Rangers up to a point. We had to go to bed I think after the first overtime ended. I couldn't even keep my eyes open so I went to sleep and I remember my dad's childhood friend, who was staying with us while going through a divorce, woke us up to tell us the Rangers won. My brother was super happy and I was super bummed and that marked the sibling rivalry of Devils vs Rangers throughout my formative years.

1994 was, I'm sure as it was for many tri-staters born around the early-mid 80's, THE year we remember.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I’m not saying that was me, but I’m also not not saying that was me. I honestly don’t remember but I bet if it were, it was because I was mad about the Lucic hit on Miller.

Koopa Kid posted:

This happens quite literally every year and I am astounded and respectful of Sabres fans ability to do this so consistently

Two things: first, that described Leafs fans up until not that long ago. Second, last year I predicted the Sabres wouldn’t even win ten games. I ended up being wrong, they won like 15 or something, but I had no hope they would be a contender in that weird temporary division.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

quote:

DO YOU LIKE WATCHING SPORTS?

DO YOU ALSO LIKE ENDLESS EDGING AND BALLS BUSTING WITH NONE OF THE PAYOFF?

THEN BOY OH BOY DO WE HAVE QUITE THE DEAL FOR YOU.

FROM THE LAND GOD CURSED, INTRODUCING MINNESOTA SPORTS^TM , OUR BEST COLLECTION OF SPORTING FAILURES YOU CAN’T FIND ANYWHERE ELSE.

ARE YOU A FAN OF THE STICK AND BLADE? THE MINNESOTA WILD WILL GIVE YOU PLENTY OF ENTERTAINMENT TO GET THROUGH THOSE COLD WINTER NIGHTS WHILE ALSO BEING RESPECTFUL OF YOUR NEED TO GO OUTSIDE WHEN SPRING COMES. BE AMAZED AT THEIR ABILITY TO SIMULTANEOUSLY SET FRANCHISE RECORDS AND YET NEVER ACHIEVE ANYTHING IN THE PLAYOFFS. JOIN NOW AND YOU CAN WITNESS THE FRANCHISE PAY FOR THE SINS OF MANAGEMENT PAST FOR THE NEXT 3 YEARS!

IS THE STICK AND BALL MORE YOUR SPEED? THE MINNESOTA TWINS HAVE MORE THEN ENOUGH SPACE TO FIT EVERYONE IN WHO WANTS TO WITNESS THE EVER GROWING RECORD OF LONGEST POSTSEASON LOSING STREAK AND THE AMAZING SELF-DISASSEMBLING MAN. HOW DOES A TEAM LOSE 18 STRAIGHT? BECAUSE gently caress YOU AND gently caress YOUR HOPES AND DREAMS THATS WHY. I WON’T APOLOGIZE, YOU KNOW YOU LIKE THAT.

SPEAKING OF LIKING THAT, IF THE OL’ PIGSKIN IS YOUR FAVORITE PASTIME THE MINNESOTA VIKINGS ARE KINGS AT THE OL’ COCK TEASE. COME MARVEL AT HOW A TEAM IS TOP TEN ALL TIME WIN PERCENTAGE AND YET HAS NEVER WON A SUPER BOWL. COME WITNESS MISSED KICKS, STUPID PICKS, AND THE ETERNAL ARGUMENT OVER WHETHER THE QB IS GOOD OR NOT THAT HAS RUINED DISCOUSE ACROSS THE ENTIRE FANBASE, ALL THE WHILE YOUR MOST HATED RIVAL OBTAINS BACK TO BACK HALL OF FAME QUARTERBACKS.

MAYBE YOU JUST LIKE WATCHING MEN PUTTING A BALL INTO A HOOP WHILE FLOPPING AROUND ALMOST AS MUCH AS SOCCER PLAYERS? DO YOU ALSO JUST HATE WINNING AND THE EXPECTATIONS IT CREATES? WELL THE MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES ARE HERE TO ALMOST MEET YOUR LOW EXPECTATIONS. COME WITNESS THE TEAM WITH THE WORST FRANCHISE WINNING PERCENTAGE IN THE NBA AS THEY ARE FINALLY BACK TO PLAYOFF MEDIOCRITY FOR AN UNSPECIFIED AMOUNT OF TIME. BE IN AWE AT HOW MUCH THE ALL STAR CENTER BITCHES AND FLAILS AROUND AND WONDERS WHY HE KEEPS FOULING OUT.

IF YOU WANT TO SEE PEOPLE FLAIL AROUND ON GRASS INSTEAD OF HARDWOOD, COME WATCH MINNESOTA UNITED, RECENTLY CRISTENED INTO THE MINNESOTA SPORTS PACKAGE VIA GIVING UP 3 GOALS IN THE LAST 15 MINUTES OF THE CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP IN 2020. ALL THE EXCITEMENT OF A SPORT WITH NO COMMERCIAL BREAKS AND SNIPERS APLENTY WITH NONE OF THE PAYOFF.

AS A BONUS, WE’LL THROW IN THE MINNESOTA LYNX. THIS TEAM WAS SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO WIN ALL OF THE CHAMPIONSHIPS WITH .625% OF THE FANBASE AND ALLOW SMARTASSES AROUND THE WORLD TO RESPOND TO YOUR DESPAIR OVER THE LACK OF ANY POSTSEASON SUCCESS WITH “lol but the Lynx tho” LIKE THEY EVEN GAVE A gently caress ABOUT THE WNBA.

SO COME ON OVER TO MINNESOTA AND DROWN YOUR HOPES AND DREAMS AND MAYBE YOURSELF IN ONE OF OUR 10,000 LAKES TODAY!

BECAUSE gently caress YOU.

gently caress THIS STATE.

AND gently caress SPORTS.

ALSO, gently caress BALLY SPORTS

:shepicide:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Forgot the Whitecaps.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

deoju posted:

Forgot the Whitecaps.

Didn’t they win the Isobel Cup their first year?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Welcome Minnesota. Get comfy cuz those buyouts mean this is as good as it'll get for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I had Minnesota winning the cup, oops. Admittedly it was more of a fun pick than a serious one.

The playoff field was brutal this season and aside from Colorado and Florida I don't think any team can really be disappointed with a first round exit. (I mean Edmonton and Toronto would melt down but it's not like they were massive favourites. Well Toronto was but that's just because the computer models are flawed and don't include a curse factor.)

fisting by many posted:

Yeah, I'll definitely add shots. Maybe even shot attempts and some sort of pressure gauge based on shots over the last X minutes.

update: I have added shots and attempt counts and made the critically important fix of giving penalty shots appropriate suspense timing.

fisting by many fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 13, 2022