Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's a free podcast so anyone can listen to the whole thing. I've not listened to them before but the format seemed to be that only Jason Bateman knew who the interviewees would be, so Wil Arnett and the other one weren't prepared at all.

So most of it is fangasming and asking extremely generic music questions like "where do you come up with all those great ideas?". It's an OK listen though and Thom and Jonny were both extremely nice and charming. They also said they've not even really thought about doing more Radiohead at the moment and they'll get to it whenever they feel like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Smile put out another track, Pana-vision
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKXQhFXlFs4

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Thom must really love Peaky Blinders - he premiered the new single and wrote an instrumental piece in the finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikmDbWMA-WE

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Weirdest one was when he contributed that song to the Twilight soundtrack

(it was a pretty good song too!)

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

Weirdest one was when he contributed that song to the Twilight soundtrack

(it was a pretty good song too!)

It's an incredible song. Would be a god-tier RH track if it'd been given the full-band treatment, imo

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Regardless of anything else about Twilight, they were able to wrangle some pretty top-tier soundtrack contributions.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I sat down and listened to moon shaped pool over the weekend. It’s very good.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

I sat down and listened to moon shaped pool over the weekend. It’s very good.

On reflection it's still probably my favorite.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Framboise posted:

On reflection it's still probably my favorite.

If that’s the last one it’s a great way to end it

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
It does sorta feel like an emotional conclusion to their whole work.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Smile albums a'comin'

https://twitter.com/thesmiletheband/status/1516795071366156290?t=l3WTXnuOx16uUY5nM8dwlQ&s=19

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hell yeah, only a few weeks away!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Instant preorder. It ain't a new Radiohead album, but I'll be happy to have it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Video for Thin Thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1_Cf55cS8I

Definitely one of my favorite Smile songs released so far. Their album comes out this Friday and I'm really looking forward to it!

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Rageaholic posted:

Video for Thin Thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1_Cf55cS8I

Definitely one of my favorite Smile songs released so far. Their album comes out this Friday and I'm really looking forward to it!

Yeah, songs and videos all killing it so far. I'm lucky enough to be seeing them on the tour, very excited!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not sure who cares, but Pitchfork loves it.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/the-smile-a-light-for-attracting-attention/

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Thom Yorke is the same age that Bob Dylan was in 1994. That seems really strange to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I NEED IT NOW

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Rageaholic posted:

I NEED IT NOW

Lucky for you, half the album is already out and you can hear live versions of the rest. :v:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BigFactory posted:

Thom Yorke is the same age that Bob Dylan was in 1994. That seems really strange to me.

I purposely saw Bob Dylan live in 2000 because I was convinced that he was old as poo poo and was going to die imminently.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

I purposely saw Bob Dylan live in 2000 because I was convinced that he was old as poo poo and was going to die imminently.

Was it a good show? The 99/00/01 tours were special. But definitely see him on this current tour cause it’s incredible. And he’s 81 years old and all that. Bob chat.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

stev posted:

Lucky for you, half the album is already out and you can hear live versions of the rest. :v:
I'm listening to it now and it's so nice finally having studio versions of all those songs I heard on that on demand live show they did a few months ago. I'm just noticing the neat panning in Thin Thing, too.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Liking what I'm hearing so far.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Smile : Radiohead :: Them Crooked Vultures: Queens Of The Stone Age

I don't mean to gloss over the fact that there are actually a lot of personnel differences, but simply judging by the way the record sounds, this feels very much like a Radiohead record unburdened by the idea that they have to constantly innovate and top themselves.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Good Album

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I want to say that this is easily album of the year, but Kendrick just dropped an album and I haven't listened to that yet.

Sir Lemming posted:

The Smile : Radiohead :: Them Crooked Vultures: Queens Of The Stone Age

I don't mean to gloss over the fact that there are actually a lot of personnel differences, but simply judging by the way the record sounds, this feels very much like a Radiohead record unburdened by the idea that they have to constantly innovate and top themselves.

I get this. It feels like there's a little bit of the spirit of a bunch of Radiohead albums in here, without actually being a Radiohead album. I definitely like it more than any of Thom's solo stuff, but that's to be expected when Jonny's involved too.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Framboise posted:

I want to say that this is easily album of the year, but Kendrick just dropped an album and I haven't listened to that yet.

Already listened to both, and I'd say this album probably has nothing to worry about.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I sorta got the impression this was more Jonny’s baby than anything else. Either way I’m loving it.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

this kicks so much rear end, I’ve missed their rock music

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sir Lemming posted:

Already listened to both, and I'd say this album probably has nothing to worry about.
Yeah, I listened to these back to back and would definitely say I preferred this to the Kendrick album, although it's like comparing apples and oranges.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I got most of the way through the first track of Kendrick's new album and turned it off

It'd be funny (?) if this somehow won album of the year (it won't) after the previous Radiohead snubs

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

It's such a good album now that I'm hearing it as a whole. I feel like there are some threads leading back to Radiohead albums but feels very fresh to listen to.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BigFactory posted:

Was it a good show? The 99/00/01 tours were special. But definitely see him on this current tour cause it’s incredible. And he’s 81 years old and all that. Bob chat.

Honestly I barely remember at this point. My only real enduring memory was that he did not address the crowd much, if at all. Just played some songs and went on his way.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-dylan/2000/elliott-hall-of-music-west-lafayette-in-63d29afb.html this was the show

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Thin Thing is really standing out to me, I love that sound. A lot of songs on it kind of sound like sequels to A Moon Shaped Pool songs, and I'm super down with that. Gotta give it a couple more full listens but I really like it.

edit: oh yeah not just AMSP, A Hairdryer sounds very much like a re-imagining of Morning Mr Magpie. Still loving it overall

Martman fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 14, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Barry posted:

Honestly I barely remember at this point. My only real enduring memory was that he did not address the crowd much, if at all. Just played some songs and went on his way.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/bob-dylan/2000/elliott-hall-of-music-west-lafayette-in-63d29afb.html this was the show

Nothing crazy in the set list but a good mix of stuff for what he was playing back then. Good first show.

He only talks to the audience when he’s in Japan.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I remember watching a phone video from one of their shows in London and they played a really cool song that didn't end up on the album. I wish I could find it but all the uploads have been taken down it seems. Anyone know of any way to watch that show? It was a circular stage set up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

spanky the dolphin posted:

I remember watching a phone video from one of their shows in London and they played a really cool song that didn't end up on the album. I wish I could find it but all the uploads have been taken down it seems. Anyone know of any way to watch that show? It was a circular stage set up.

I was there. Just Eyes and Mouth was the encore and probably my favourite track behind Thin Thing. Really gutted it didn't make the album.

There were a bunch of :filez: links for the videos and audio floating around the week after the show but I don't think there's a legit way to watch it right now. I think they said they'll release it as a paid VOD eventually.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
This is really good, chums

The last three tracks really work well together - Skrting on the Surface is a real masterpiece, too.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
Was pretty disappointed on first listen how much it just felt like AMSP 2 - little more rock to it but overall felt very slow. But I've already caught myself playing individual tracks and enjoying them more so I'm sure it'll grow on me with further listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

stev posted:

I was there. Just Eyes and Mouth was the encore and probably my favourite track behind Thin Thing. Really gutted it didn't make the album.

There were a bunch of :filez: links for the videos and audio floating around the week after the show but I don't think there's a legit way to watch it right now. I think they said they'll release it as a paid VOD eventually.

That’s the one. There are a bunch of people covering it - even Radiohead as a full band played the riff during one of their shows a while back. Maybe it’s reserved now for future Radiohead.

https://youtu.be/o1xWs1qm2F0

drat that’s a shame, that was my favourite sounding song from what I heard!