Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

SettingSun posted:

Slow traveling is cool and fun until you're trying to do the epic quests and you have to travel to and from Rivendell 30 times to ask Elrond questions.

I did that as a Hunter, and even then, it was insanely tedious and pointless. Honestly kind of "immersion" breaking too. Felt really out of place.

I know it's a game and the world size got drastically shrunk to fit the medium, but it just didn't fit ThE LoRe at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea on one hand it is nice to just enjoy the world, but on the other if you're already willing to edit the world to make gameplay better it's bonkers to be so restrictive on 'can I just ride a horse to Rivendell'

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

God I'm having a chill-rear end time in Middle Earth. I forgot how weirdly relaxing this game is.

Also, I realize I'm low-level at 14 but like... did they make the game easier? I have not only not come close to dying a single time so far, I also haven't had my morale bar go below like 90% this entire time on my red captain.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Drone posted:

God I'm having a chill-rear end time in Middle Earth. I forgot how weirdly relaxing this game is.

Also, I realize I'm low-level at 14 but like... did they make the game easier? I have not only not come close to dying a single time so far, I also haven't had my morale bar go below like 90% this entire time on my red captain.

Overworld stuff is stupid easy unless you get swarmed by guys higher level than you or run off a cliff yea. Once you get up there it's a bit more of an even fight but yea you're not going to be sweating much unless things go very wrong, especially as a Captain.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
landscape is incredibly easy, you can do the first 20 levels or so completely naked and still mow through things

edit: you can manually change the difficulty settings on a legendary server if you're a VIP, something I wish they would implement on all of them

Demon Of The Fall fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 12, 2022

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
The only landscape stuff that was ever challenging was if you were on foot and a warband ganked you, and Mordor was tough at least at launch, for 4-5 levels until you get the updated gear from quests. Although even then Mordor's difficulty is in part due to to high density and fast respawn in parts.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, I've been looking for a new MMO to try, and I saw that this game was free and apparently has a reputation for being chill.

Nothing in the OP seemed to address it, so asking here: is this a particularly solo-friendly game or is grouping up expected a lot?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Cythereal posted:

So, I've been looking for a new MMO to try, and I saw that this game was free and apparently has a reputation for being chill.

Nothing in the OP seemed to address it, so asking here: is this a particularly solo-friendly game or is grouping up expected a lot?

Extremely solo friendly. There's plenty of dungeons and raids and stuff, but you can just continue on solo-questing.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
you can level to cap without stepping foot in a dungeon or in a group of people, so yeah. very chill solo game for shutins and dads

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is the list of people to bother for a guild invite in the OP still current?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Drone posted:

Is the list of people to bother for a guild invite in the OP still current?
Nope! Your best bet is to jump on discord and ask.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Cythereal posted:

It's very solo-friendly. Even the classes that you would typically expect to be intended for group play have builds for solo play. For example, I main a Dwarf Minstrel, and even though Minstrels are intended to be the support class, they have a build specifically for soloing that focuses on DPS and self-heals.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Interesting, thanks for the replies!

As I know approximately jack and poo poo about Lord of the Rings (I saw the movies, but not recently, and never saw the Hobbit films), I suppose I'll just see what looks good to me in character creation.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
would def recommend starting a hunter as the first character. the instant ports to basically anywhere on the map are awesome for first time players

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Demon Of The Fall posted:

would def recommend starting a hunter as the first character. the instant ports to basically anywhere on the map are awesome for first time players

Agreed. It'll give you enough info to know what you wanna play next. You just missed the anniversary event unfortunately, but welcome to the family!

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Lum_ posted:

It's so weird that's the one thing they left VIP-locked for new characters. Think they honestly forgot about it.

Nah, I think it’s intentional. SSG still wants your money. It’s basically the only compelling reason to sub at this point, especially for new players. And old ones too, if they decide to make a new character or want to try out the new class.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ILL Machina posted:

Agreed. It'll give you enough info to know what you wanna play next. You just missed the anniversary event unfortunately, but welcome to the family!

No promises I'll stick around, but for a price of free, why not?

And while I have only the vaguest idea of what the Dale-lands are or why it should be significant that I'm playing a character from there, I settled on what the game has deemed a Woman Hunter from the Dale-Lands for my first stab at things. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

wizardofloneliness posted:

Nah, I think it’s intentional. SSG still wants your money. It’s basically the only compelling reason to sub at this point, especially for new players. And old ones too, if they decide to make a new character or want to try out the new class.

It gives a bunch of bags too which is extremely good for new players because having 5-6 bags instead of 2-3 is going to matter a whole lot pretty quickly.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

I was keen to try out the war-steed system so I made a bee-line for Book 8 in the Wold at level 73. The handling reminds me a bit of Mount & Blade only much jankier. The frequent rubberbanding due to lag doesn't help. I've also found it faster to just dismount and shoot things using regular hunter skills instead of mount skills. Hopefully this remains the case in the rest of the mounted combat zones.

However it is Very Fast and dressing up my pony is fun. Just waiting for a sale on the light trait tree so I can go even faster.

The music in the Wold is bonkers good.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

piano chimp posted:

I was keen to try out the war-steed system so I made a bee-line for Book 8 in the Wold at level 73. The handling reminds me a bit of Mount & Blade only much jankier. The frequent rubberbanding due to lag doesn't help. I've also found it faster to just dismount and shoot things using regular hunter skills instead of mount skills. Hopefully this remains the case in the rest of the mounted combat zones.

However it is Very Fast and dressing up my pony is fun. Just waiting for a sale on the light trait tree so I can go even faster.

The music in the Wold is bonkers good.

I agree with you on mounted combat. As a Minstrel I found it much faster to fight mobs unmounted. It's frustrating fighting on mounts, lagging, and then drawing the attention of several other mobs. I'm level 103 now and I've mainly been fighting on foot since, though using my war-steed to travel very quickly to other destinations has been great.

The Riders of Rohan soundtrack is absolutely amazing and my favorite part of East Rohan.

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

And speaking of being level 103, I recently finished the Minas Tirith Epic Battles and they're definitely a step above Helm's Deep for me. While they were a bit confusing to navigate, they were very forgiving.

As for Minas Tirith itself, I found it frustrating to quest through, but it is a very beautiful city. Same with the region that follows, Taur Druadan. I enjoyed learning about the Woses but it was so tedious to travel around the map.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Mounted Combat felt much better when it was first released, other than the lagging and hitching which I think they gave up trying to resolve. Initially you were stronger on your mount but once they did the class trait rework every class got significantly stronger to the point that it is way faster to just fight on foot now. Its too bad cause mounted combat was a cool idea and with a little better implementation could have been awesome, and now War Steeds are effectively useless post 100 or so because a mob breathes in their direction and you get dismounted, so not even worth using in landscape to go fast cause you'll end up getting knocked off your horse.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Ok I'm cruising through Moria for the first real time and I guess it's time to ask about LIs. From grasping what I can from the wiki and related articles, I get the impression I can probably coast through quest tracery rewards and such as I continue to level? I did start to find quest givers who seem to exist as a repeatable way to get traceries and enhancements so I should probably do those too.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Witeldram posted:

And speaking of being level 103, I recently finished the Minas Tirith Epic Battles and they're definitely a step above Helm's Deep for me. While they were a bit confusing to navigate, they were very forgiving.

As for Minas Tirith itself, I found it frustrating to quest through, but it is a very beautiful city. Same with the region that follows, Taur Druadan. I enjoyed learning about the Woses but it was so tedious to travel around the map.

Hard agree on both. Epic Battles was never great, but the MT ones were much better. Farmed them a lot when they were relevant content.

MT itself...oof. Like, it's how the city is designed, I get that. But they made very little effort to not make that annoying as hell to quest in. Up and down and up and down and up and down. The horses only did so much.

I felt with Minas Morgul, while it wasn't completely devoid of that, for the most part tried to have you go up level by level so it wasn't as tedious.

gnoma
Feb 7, 2005

These poles made from wood, and the crossarms from iron.

SettingSun posted:

Ok I'm cruising through Moria for the first real time and I guess it's time to ask about LIs. From grasping what I can from the wiki and related articles, I get the impression I can probably coast through quest tracery rewards and such as I continue to level? I did start to find quest givers who seem to exist as a repeatable way to get traceries and enhancements so I should probably do those too.

Alongside quest rewards and the Dolven-view instances there is a reward track that you progress in by earning Legendary Item Experience. You can find it in menus under Character -> Reward track or set up a keybind for it under options.. The current reward track is resetting in about 17 hours from my post and you'll lose any rewards that aren't claimed before then. You should have some progress just from completing quests and the Heritage Runes you get as random drops are the other big source of LI experience.

There is an archive of traceries on the second floor of Elrond's house in Rivendell that you can visit to get heraldries and traceries that you don't find as drops. Buying them costs Ancient Script, which is an account wide currency that you earn from the reward track and from disenchanting traceries using the Flame of Ancalamir

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Recently installed this. How do I install Addons, and which ones do you recomend?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

The man called M posted:

Recently installed this. How do I install Addons, and which ones do you recomend?

Its be much nicer to use plugins than before. You want the lotro compendium:

https://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info663-LOTROPluginCompendium.html

There's not much that's necessary. I like the task item tracker an analyzer thing, the deed tracker, and the updated terrain maps. Autoslotbar or whatever it's called is my favorite one stop quickbar enhancer. Normally used to set up combos that you don't have to move the mouse for, but there are lots of nice options and you can turn off the animation part.

You'll find lots of them on the compendium though, and it's way easier to find updated ones and check out the plugins page.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 17, 2022

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
The minor patch coming tomorrow includes this change:

quote:

Small Reputation Accelerator Tomes have been removed from the Skirmish camp curiosities vendors. They can still be obtained from weekly Missions in the "Missions: Bonus Character Boosts" package.
Probably a good idea to log on ASAP and dump all your Marks into rep tomes before it's too late.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Oh nice good call.

In better news, via Natsuumi, they are fixing the mounted livery by giving non legendaries from the intro quest and whatnot, generally phasing out the LI concept there. Nothing as action-urgent though.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Living the dream

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Hobbit life best life.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
So I'm getting back into it, trying to anyway, I still have my old account info with the following:

Shadows of Angmar™ Standard
Mines of Moria™ Standard

What is probably the best package to get for someone trying to start up or is there a purchase that can be recommended?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
the game is basically f2p until level 95. quest packs, past expansions, just logging into a new character gets you like 3 expansions immediately in your account.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Some minstrel gave me a bunch of stacks of purple pipeweed and I gave him some gold, he seemed really happy about that and then gave me a bunch of food and now I'm bloated, woof

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Some minstrel gave me a bunch of stacks of purple pipeweed and I gave him some gold, he seemed really happy about that and then gave me a bunch of food and now I'm bloated, woof

They kinda made the cool pipe weed harder to grow so farmers have to go through a lot of lower tier types, sometimes still purple, to get seeds for the rarer stuff. It doesn't sell well. On top of that, some people just farm on their alts for levels.

My cook is usually overloaded with ingredients and food from grinding. Would love to give to goons who need it. Think I'm at like lvl 110 stuff ATM but my main is only 50. Grinding cooks guild repasts to get the autocrit stacks and the coffee/tea options.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Diabetic posted:

So I'm getting back into it, trying to anyway, I still have my old account info with the following:

Shadows of Angmar™ Standard
Mines of Moria™ Standard

What is probably the best package to get for someone trying to start up or is there a purchase that can be recommended?

You might want VIP for some travel, monthly coins, and character slots. I like the shared storage. Mithril coins are nice for fast travel time saving. You can buy premium housing. But yeah you should be good for a while on content.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

got a bad case of tolkien-brain, tried to login and even if i change my password it tells me i don't have the correct password. everything i've read says there's little to no chance support will ever get back to me. anyone familiar with this issue? am i s.o.l.?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

nearly killed em! posted:

got a bad case of tolkien-brain, tried to login and even if i change my password it tells me i don't have the correct password. everything i've read says there's little to no chance support will ever get back to me. anyone familiar with this issue? am i s.o.l.?

Yeah, this happened to me. Did you recently change ISPs? You may have somehow triggered their IP address detection which tries to block scammers a continent away from hacking your account but doesn’t work very well. It took me over two months of trying to get customer support to fix it, so hope you have better luck.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

nearly killed em! posted:

is this an old account you're trying to get into? if it is, just create a new one. if you logged into it like a few days ago and can't now, I have no idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

is this an old account you're trying to get into? if it is, just create a new one. if you logged into it like a few days ago and can't now, I have no idea

it's the account i played on a few months ago. the email is associated with my ddo account as well and it logs in no problem. figured i was made of tough stuff and tried to start a new account but getting that opening tutorial broke me.

Lum_ posted:

Yeah, this happened to me. Did you recently change ISPs? You may have somehow triggered their IP address detection which tries to block scammers a continent away from hacking your account but doesn’t work very well. It took me over two months of trying to get customer support to fix it, so hope you have better luck.

yeah, i think i'm screwed until some mystery point in the future