Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Slavvy posted:

It is literally against the rules, the minimum pressures are set by Michelin, theoretically based on safety. It's a huge deal, especially as Michelin monitor pressures throughout so there's really no way to cheat without at least the tyre guy the fan deals with being complicit.

Its against the rules but there's no penalty for it. so it may as well not be against the rules from the teams point of view. Mat Oxley's leak literally came from an official Michelin report and there was zero action taken lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's like when there was no penalty for speeding in pit lane and people were blasting out as fast as possible in the dying moments of qualifying to get their laps in.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
Welp, that answers that.

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2022/05/12/suzuki-motor-corporation-s-statement-on-their-motogp-future/420045

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Sounds like they're going to put all the racing bux into EV development.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Lame

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So just a non-statement. Pretty clear someone make a retarded kneejerk decision in the most widely unprofessional, almost Italian way, and now the marketing and legal departments have to clean up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Pretty crashy FP2 today.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

How long are the commentators gonna talk about Jake Dixon's potential as he walks away from yet another crash? I can only imagine it being even worse on the BT Sport coverage...

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
lol lmao laffo

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
that was fun. lottsa crashes though

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

Did not expect bagnaia to go out like that

Aleix is a force on that Aprillia

Do one of the suzuki boys (Rins) end up at Yamaha (replacing Morbidelli)?

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

SocksAndSandals posted:

Did not expect bagnaia to go out like that

Aleix is a force on that Aprillia

Do one of the suzuki boys (Rins) end up at Yamaha (replacing Morbidelli)?

I think rins ends up in the trash if nobody takes pity and gives him a satellite ride.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'm going to loving melt down if Enea isn't on the factory Ducati next year.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

the paradigm shift posted:

I think rins ends up in the trash if nobody takes pity and gives him a satellite ride.

My very uneducated guess on the big moves are gonna be Mir to Honda, Fernandez to Yamaha, Rins to Aprilia and Vinales into the trash.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rins will make a great leader for Aprilia's satellite team

Morbidelli is on an offset contract cycle and not going anywhere

Bastianini will end up on a pramac imo, it'll be martin moving up

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I want Enea to win the championship on a last year’s machine.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Rins will make a great leader for Aprilia's satellite team

Morbidelli is on an offset contract cycle and not going anywhere

Bastianini will end up on a pramac imo, it'll be martin moving up

Nah Vinales is done. like at this point its just comical whenever one of the commentators talk about how he just needs to put it together. at least with Rins you have a reference for where the bike can be. I can't imagine Vinales even provides any good feedback at this stage.

The way Jarvis talks about Morbidelli I think that contract is basically valueless. Its clear Raul wanted to go to Yamaha instead of KTM and he's not really gelling at KTM so I think thats pretty much a lock.

The only way Martin goes to the factory over Enea at this point is if he's already signed.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
I dunno if Frankie is still bothered by that injury but the point is he showed in 2020 he can get results. Now that Yamaha are firmly in the "Repsol Honda 2017-2021" stage with a poo poo bike that only one guy can ride competitively, he deserves better imo

Binales and Alexmarquez can piss off. Martin isnt exactly showing why he deserves the factory Duc more than Bast...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Breathlessly premature imo, you sound like a perfect fit for Ducati management. They would be fools to sign anyone atm, none of those guys want to be anywhere but Ducati, they are totally at your mercy, why would you want to lock yourself in so early? Just let them fight for at least half a season and then decide. This process worked before - petrucci is a better rider than reddingg, showed it, got his renewal and promotion. There's no way anyone else is going to poach those dudes when it's clear that even an elderly satellite Ducati is better than a factory anything else. Ducati have all the cards and they'll take their time if they've learned anything from recent years; not seeing domenicali in the pits supports the idea that they've smartened up.

Vinales had the same pace as the leaders, he always does, he just needs to stop loving up his starts. Idk how long Aprilia will be patient with him but seriously, it's been ten races and he's come from a Yamaha. Lorenzo should be the benchmark when considering this stuff imo, by that metric vinales isn't doing badly. Vinales is one of the best at riding motorcycles, he just clearly never learned to race them.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ducati very well could take their time but I still don't see how Martin gets that seat over Enea at this point. Again to your point if Ducati are thinking rationally why would they take an up and down Martin over Enea who just seems to be getting better and better?

Lorenzo was different because he would have false starts where he'd lead the race or show super good one lap pace and then fade badly. Vinales' problem at Aprilia is the exact same problem he's had for several years now, he can't manage the start well and is a basket case. His qualifying is now terrible too, he's not really showing flashes that he's going to suddenly become better than Aleix at some point which is just lol.

ROFLBOT posted:

I dunno if Frankie is still bothered by that injury but the point is he showed in 2020 he can get results. Now that Yamaha are firmly in the "Repsol Honda 2017-2021" stage with a poo poo bike that only one guy can ride competitively, he deserves better imo

I actually quite like Frankie and think he's talented but its just so loving painfully obvious that Yamaha couldn't give a poo poo about him. They hung him out to dry with the bikes for last year until they finally begrudgingly gave him the factory seat. Frankie would talk a lot about how much he loved working with Forcada, Dovizioso in the satellite team gets him for 2022 instead lmao. and then the comment Jarvis made after Jerez. I think if Yamaha sees another rider they want they're gonna cut him loose, they've got zero love for him, I dunno why that is but that seems to be the situation from the outside.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Yeah agreed, i mean its not like he's Dovi who had his time in a top team, Frankie has never even had the chance and had to ride the wheels off a poo poo bike to get results.

Have you guys seen the Motoamerica races? Danilo Petrux has just jumped into the championship and crushed everyone

I watched a COTA race and he just got out front and cruised, i mean im happy for him but it must be demoralising for the rest of the field

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 16, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Motorcycle racing in the US is nowhere near as
competitive as Europe. Jake Gagne who absolutely dominated last year has crashed out of his only head to head with Danilo so far. Cam Beaubier is like 5x US champ and struggles in midfield at Moto2, although I think he’s got pole like twice this year.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
UK road racing season has started. Tandragee 100, Cookstown 100, NorthWest 200 have all already run and the Isle of Man TT is coming up in ~2 weeks.

Already lots of good racing in the NW200 (despite some rain), and the IOM is shaping up to be absolutely amazing this year. Live coverage is being provided on TT+ over the whole two weeks for the low low price of £14.99. It's a little tricky for me given timezones but you can apparently rewind and re-watch, so will be well worth it for those who aren't able to attend in person.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Vinales is one of the best at riding motorcycles, he just clearly never learned to race them.

so disrespectful and true. He can't start a race for poo poo

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

italian quid posted:

Ducati very well could take their time but I still don't see how Martin gets that seat over Enea at this point. Again to your point if Ducati are thinking rationally why would they take an up and down Martin over Enea who just seems to be getting better and better?

Lorenzo was different because he would have false starts where he'd lead the race or show super good one lap pace and then fade badly. Vinales' problem at Aprilia is the exact same problem he's had for several years now, he can't manage the start well and is a basket case. His qualifying is now terrible too, he's not really showing flashes that he's going to suddenly become better than Aleix at some point which is just lol.

I actually quite like Frankie and think he's talented but its just so loving painfully obvious that Yamaha couldn't give a poo poo about him. They hung him out to dry with the bikes for last year until they finally begrudgingly gave him the factory seat. Frankie would talk a lot about how much he loved working with Forcada, Dovizioso in the satellite team gets him for 2022 instead lmao. and then the comment Jarvis made after Jerez. I think if Yamaha sees another rider they want they're gonna cut him loose, they've got zero love for him, I dunno why that is but that seems to be the situation from the outside.

Martin is a better rider than bastianini imo, he's just had a bunch of injuries, never rode at Jerez before last week, never rode at lemans before this weekend. I think bastianini just has a perfectly sorted bike he's able to jump on and go without doing any of the difficult brain work of development and he's making hay while the sun shines. Plus, Ducati have a clear feeding and seasoning system with pramac, I suspect they'd want him to go there for a couple of years for finishing before he takes the red leathers.

For vinales, we'll see I guess? 50/50 if he's trouncing aleix or out of a job by the end of the year.

Frankie is definitely the black sheep at Yamaha and my impression is he's only there because of Rossi. My dream scenario is marini loving off to drive trucks and frankie getting his rear end that Ducati. He needs to leave asap cause Yamaha are clearly not responding to even Fabio's feedback let alone the other guys.

Sounds like ktm are going to lose all their guys bar binder, too.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Does anyone ever move back down to moto2? Or is that a big no no and it’s a one way street?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Does anyone ever move back down to moto2? Or is that a big no no and it’s a one way street?

Sam Lowes
Luthi
Syahrin

Just off the top of my head in recent years. If you really suck you pack your bags and go to a superbike class somewhere. Sam Lowes got a pretty bum deal by Aprilia in GPand is probably the only one remotely deserving of moving back up but he's successfully sabotaged that chance for himself and will likely be future endeavoured to sbk in the near future.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Great to see Chantra back on the podium. Hope he keeps going this season.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Been hearing a lot about front tire issues preventing passing, but this is the best writeup that I've seen:

https://www.crash.net/motogp/feature/1002832/1/marc-marquez-motogp-has-overtaking-problem-nearly-impossible

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

dema posted:

Been hearing a lot about front tire issues preventing passing, but this is the best writeup that I've seen:

https://www.crash.net/motogp/feature/1002832/1/marc-marquez-motogp-has-overtaking-problem-nearly-impossible

that article posted:

“With the actual motorbikes, or the situation in this category, to overtake somebody now you need to do a very aggressive move,” Marquez explained

As opposed to Marquez's ordinarily sedate and somewhat lackadaisical riding style.

What is it that's causing the tire to heat up when following? Just the dirty air not being as cooling as clean air?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's the aero wings, same sort of problem as f1 afaik, combined with the huge waste heat the bikes create, combined with Michelin's patented camembert compound, combined with the ride height devices increasing the amount of energy a rider can put into the tires. Something's gotta give; the bikes can't get any slower so less heat is out, Michelin can't suck less so a different tire is out, so I expect we'll see some kind of hackneyed compromise attempt to promote passing by regulating aero or shape shifters, without just banning them outright because that would make Ducati sad.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
MotoGP 2022: Michelin's patented camembert compound

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think the front tire design is from 2019 which predates a lot of the more sophisticated ride height and aero stuff that has really proliferated since then so I think it's probably on the if not past the very limit of the load it was designed around.

gregbest90
Sep 12, 2017

Chris Knight posted:

Great to see Chantra back on the podium. Hope he keeps going this season.

Gonna be fun watching Chantra and Ogura duke it out for Taka's seat :allears:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

They are banning one of the ride height devices (forget which end) for next year. Maybe that will help? Maybe just ban them period?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I would ban it all (aero, ride height, etc). What was that year where there was like a million overtakes at Assen and everyone was packed right together. They need to get back to that. I couldn't care less about engineering in racing, its the most boring poo poo on earth and people don't even understand it 90% of the time.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

italian quid posted:

I would ban it all (aero, ride height, etc). What was that year where there was like a million overtakes at Assen and everyone was packed right together. They need to get back to that. I couldn't care less about engineering in racing, its the most boring poo poo on earth and people don't even understand it 90% of the time.

no that's actually why I like racing, it's at the intersection of engineering and sport. I like reading about F1 technology more than actually watching the races.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Interesting to me too, but definitely not at the expense of the actual racing.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The problem is you need some kind of technical development to happen otherwise you get a situation like moto3 which, while fun to watch, makes it difficult for the big talents to stand out because it's not possible to hone the bike to the finest edge for just one rider. Simply restricting development in the name of 'sport' is how you get wsbk's mess.

It's worth mentioning that almost none of this would be a problem if Michelin could make a tire with an operating window wider than a few degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
It was quite interesting hearing what Miller said in teh post-race about knowing the medium front was the tyre to use but every time he went out there on it in prac he "couldnt get a reading on it" vs. the soft

Its this extra dimension of not picking a tyre just for the right temperature and durability but the feel through it as well