Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's a shame that there's no "no, this is literally unplayable" category-- half of the games I'm regularly playing are "unsupported", and then stuff like Astroneer and Space Engineers just don't launch properly full stop

This likely isn't a Deck problem. Speaking as someone who has been running Steam on Linux with Proton since v3, this just sounds like Windows games in Steam via Proton.

Proton DB is your best friend in these moments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah I've absolutely been burned by Proton weirdness that goes away if you just fix a specific version for a game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

It's a shame that there's no "no, this is literally unplayable" category-- half of the games I'm regularly playing are "unsupported", and then stuff like Astroneer

drat, I was really hoping this one would work, I love Astroneer and it's like the perfect game for portable.

The calculator has shifted my shipping day back a week, it was supposed to be next week but c'est la vie. The other calculator gives me a 70% chance of being in June. :negative:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Another one that seems to run fine despite being ‘unsupported’: book of demons. Cleared a couple of floors without issue. The videos play too. Only odd thing is button icons popping in and out in tutorials.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Humble Deck Bundle

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/handheld-pc-power-bundle

$10
Orcs Must Die! 2 - Complete
Parkasaurus
Paint the Town Red
Exanima

$20
Orcs Must Die! 3
Neon Abyss: Deluxe Edition
Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries
Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - Deluxe Edition

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harminoff posted:

Humble Deck Bundle

$10
Parkasaurus
Paint the Town Red
Exanima

$20
Orcs Must Die! 3

Exanima seems interesting!

This isn’t a bad bundle but I wish that it just had one OMD and other game.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Got the win3 up on SA-Mart if anyone is interested and tired of waiting for the steam deck
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4001772

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Harminoff posted:

Humble Deck Bundle

$10
Parkasaurus
Paint the Town Red
Exanima

$20
Orcs Must Die! 3

Saw that, but really all I'd probabyl want is Paint the Town Red, so I'll be skipping this one. Deck is all set to arrive tomorrow, am at home as well so my excitement is pretty high. Unfortunately it's the worst carrier available.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
yoink I'll take that Mechwarrior 5. Thanks for the heads up!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This guys videos are so so but 3DS sure does look great on the deck.

https://youtu.be/-928kgMgmtQ

I still haven’t done any emulation yet but it’s nice to know it’s there and great.

Also pretty low power it seems.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Viture One (AR Glasses) works with the deck. Pretty neat way to get yourself a giant screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ_5nGFObjY

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Get it while it’s hot.

8ft cable too

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1524546730003341312?s=21&t=uI0YQpRgr3L_HkQhjumdHQ

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

mdxi posted:

This likely isn't a Deck problem. Speaking as someone who has been running Steam on Linux with Proton since v3, this just sounds like Windows games in Steam via Proton.

Proton DB is your best friend in these moments.

Hot god drat, nice. I figured most of the issues would be "solvable if I spent long enough googling and mucking with linux" but a one stop shop for checking anything that's just a proton version change or runtime flag is nice as hell

sigher posted:

drat, I was really hoping this one would work, I love Astroneer and it's like the perfect game for portable.

I tried it again and while I'm still having issues, it seems they fixed the original issue (which may have just been removing the xenobiologist intro movie?) and the remaining problems have to do with loading my existing save more than the game itself now-- 5 minutes of loading at a stuck screen and 10fps in my main base makes me assume that's probably gonna keep being a desktop game, but creating a new game seems to work just fine for the brief bit of playing with it I did

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Humble Deck Bundle

$10
Parkasaurus
Paint the Town Red
Exanima

$20
Orcs Must Die! 3
really if you want to bulk up on games for the Deck, your better bet is to check Fanatical bundles; i feel like their build-a-bundles especially crush Humble's every time. especially when they have a bundle madness week. 11 of the 26 games i've beaten on the deck so far were games I got from Fanatical bundles (and 2 were from the itchio bundles)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 12, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

The alternative Final Fantasy XIV launcher, XIVLauncher, has been ported to Linux. This should allow non-Steam owners to play on the Deck with far less hassle.

They even have a guide for it:
https://goatcorp.github.io/faq/steamdeck

The package is available in the Discover Store and on flathub.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Had to intervene (read: Go to the logistics hub of the carrier during rush hour) a bit, but finally got the thing. Excitement!
Otherwise would have had to wait until monday.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Heran Bago posted:

The alternative Final Fantasy XIV launcher, XIVLauncher, has been ported to Linux. This should allow non-Steam owners to play on the Deck with far less hassle.

They even have a guide for it:
https://goatcorp.github.io/faq/steamdeck

The package is available in the Discover Store and on flathub.

Thanks for this! I’ll have to try it later on.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks for this! I’ll have to try it later on.

It works well I understand. One thing to watch out for is that if you do not own FF14 via Steam, you'll need to alter the controller config because it tells Steam you're using Source SDK Base 2013 (there's some technical reason behind this, otherwise SteamOS doesn't reliably see the ff14 window in game mode).

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ugh, according to Reddit posts, it seems like US 512gb barely moved today. Like between 30-90 seconds worth of preorder time. Here's hoping for next week...

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

Ugh, according to Reddit posts, it seems like US 512gb barely moved today. Like between 30-90 seconds worth of preorder time. Here's hoping for next week...

It moved by 40secs according to this tracker: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/uo4y4r/order_email_megathread_may_12_2022/i8c42fu/

Which shows 16-Jul-2021 17:23:21 as current for US 512s. I'm at 17:29 and change. So it's going to be quite a few weeks if it's moving 1.5 - 2 mins / week.

Meanwhile the Steam Deck Calculator thinks I should have gotten an email last Monday. :shrug:

E: Deckbot is more of a realist than the calculator:
DeckBot

Howdy! It looks like you have a US 512GB reservation. You reserved your deck 29 minutes, 47 seconds after pre-orders opened. There are 6 minutes, 29 seconds worth of pre-orders before yours remaining. You're 78.23% of the way there.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

My order 45 minutes after preorders went live is estimated to ship in Q3, so yeah. It was never going to be the fastest pace.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah. It's also impossible to estimate actual delivery rate from time intervals since we don't know the distribution of orders over the interval. UK 512 moved by 22s but EU jumped by almost 2 hours. But US orders fulfilled today could be well, well over that for EU even so.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

It's not even on and I am so excited

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
Welp, my SD card sold by Amazon is an obvious fake...
Also had a bug where starting remote play for a game not up to date on the host made the client session on the Deck hang and be unkillable through the UI. On reboot it remained black with fans on full blast, so had to do the first hard reset already.

Finished the Desk Job Intro and it was well done. Now on to try some actual games.

E:
The way this thing is able to run so many games at great performance and quality levels is a game changer. I did not expect this thing to run so flawlessly. The whole ecosystem is coming together to bring us this amazing amalgamation.

SEKCobra fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 12, 2022

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

I got my mine this morning and have spent all day downloading and installing poo poo, but the few games I've tried have worked flawlessly including the GOG version of DE added as a non-steam game. Did have to hard reset twice on first setup though, and switching from my 5ghz to 2.4ghz wifi band is what seemed to really fix it. Kept hanging at like 20% progress until that switch.

First time I loaded Desk Job textures didn't load but it redownloaded a bunch of stuff when I quit so probably just a wonky install there, everything has worked great since those two small issues.

Excited to be able to replay DE on the couch while watching trash TV with my partner.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SEKCobra posted:

Welp, my SD card sold by Amazon is an obvious fake...
Reminder that in the US at least you can order non-fake SD cards online from Best Buy for sale prices that are very comparable to Amazon plus free shipping on orders over $30 or so:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-evo-plus-256gb-microsdxc-uhs-i-memory-card-with-adapter/6473935.p?skuId=6473935

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-pro-plus-256gb-microsdxc-uhs-i-memory-card-with-adapter/6473930.p?skuId=6473930

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-evo-plus-512gb-microsdxc-uhs-i-memory-card-with-adapter/6473937.p?skuId=6473937

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-pro-plus-512gb-microsdxc-uhs-i-memory-card-with-adapter/6473932.p?skuId=6473932

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
On pc, I noticed some steam deck type related notes in the latest update (today).

Added Steam Deck compatibility options to dynamic collections
Open the on-screen keyboard if the game calls the ShowGamepadTextInput() Steamworks API while streaming to Steam Deck
Fixed an issue where updating graphics drivers would re-download media pre-caching files

Don't have to deck, but I assume the last one may slow down the constant redownload of shaders on each game start up? But I don't know if the deck was getting driver updates constantly enough for how people were reporting it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Per game profiles is pretty drat awesome and will be even more awesome when they add the refresh rate to the stable build.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So I finished the Stanley Parable on the Deck and its the perfect game for the Deck. Only some slight flickering issues on some textures.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
My wife just got her email for purchase confirmation so that Q2 is happening for her.

Meanwhile, having preordered 20 minutes after her (with a lot of clicking), I haven't received anything yet.

I'm so mad right now. :negative:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Games like Super Robot Wars are great on the deck. They use essentially the same power as the system on idle. I think I got close to 7 hours on one charge.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I still don't want to believe the calculator saying that mine with ship basically the last day of Q2. I preordered the drat thing like an hour after it was revealed. I'm pretty sure basically anyone that pre ordered for that entire day is in Q2 so idgi what would put me at the absolute end of the cutoff.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

I'm pretty sure basically anyone that pre ordered for that entire day is in Q2

Not even close, from what I've heard? Lot of day 1 Q3s in the more popular queues.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, I didn't realize that. I guess I should stop whining then haha

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I know someone that was like 1.5 hours and got Q3. They were originally Q2 but got pushed back, I think.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

veni veni veni posted:

Oh, I didn't realize that. I guess I should stop whining then haha

If you ordered a 512gb unit and ordered from the US/Canada, it's been moving about 2 minutes' worth of pre-orders per week.

I ordered 31 minutes after they became available. The calculator told me May 16th, but I think they're 21 minutes in now so I doubt I'll have it in my hands before mid-June.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I ordered the 256

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So GTA V works really well once it works. Had some weird bugs the first few times I started it, but now it runs extremely well after setting the native res and a AA setting. Looks really good too. This is crazy, I remember playing LC Stories and my PSP and thinking that's cool, but I can play full fledged GTA V on this thing. Crazy poo poo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

At 720p is AA even noticeable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

sigher posted:

At 720p is AA even noticeable?

In some games, yes, but going for high levels of AA is wasted. In most cases the cheapest/lowest forms of AA will do the trick well enough.