Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

OwlFancier posted:

An Irish Divorce sounds like a euphemism for something, answers on a postcard.

Striking someone's ankle with an axe?

When it's all over, their foot is separated from their leg!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cookie Cutter posted:

It's always surprised me how loving about with postboxes doesn't seem to be a thing in the UK, as most things you leave unsecured outside tend to end up becoming someone's "fair game" in one way or another. A direct open slot with a bunch of stranger's personal and possibly valuable things inside just seems like a perfect target to have matches thrown in, beer poured into it, etc, but I've never heard of it happening.

People chuck all sorts of stuff inside postboxes and pour beer or worse in them for sure. A lot of crisp packets and general rubbish. Doesn't seem nearly as common as stuff like loving with bus shelters or bins though.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/royal-mail-plead-edinburgh-local-21053133

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I mean in fairness, Liz has been on the throne so long there are just way more of them around than any other by now, the old ones are comparatively rare. I used to have a stamp album as a kid with all the different era postboxes on the front, they can have pretty different styles. I think I've only ever seen a few George ones, and there's a Victoria one in the square in Norwich city centre. Someone probably runs a website about where you can find them all.

Edit: yup https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Queen_Victoria_post_boxes_in_the_United_Kingdom

Isomermaid fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 12, 2022

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Do they have to dig up all the postboxes when the monarch carks it and put new ones in?

They didn't even replace the regal ones in Ireland, just painted them green. Plenty littered around with the royal seal.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I ask because I genuinely do not recall ever seeing one without ER on it other than in that picture. Not that I spend a lot of time looking, but it's not something I can say I've noticed.

I've seen GR ones.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
reminder than Burnham is from Liverpool and did this:

I don't believe he'd keep his promises any more than Starmer has

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

The oldest I've seen recently is an Edward VII box in the side of a corner shop, but yeah there's plenty of random George ones around.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've seen GR ones.

Between the half a dozen or so villages in the district I grew up in there were VR, EviiR, GR, GviR and EiiR postboxes represented. There's a GR one just down the road from my current house. I had no idea that historic pillarboxes were so relatively unusual!

E: That just piqued by interest as to if they ever made any postboxes with Edward VIII's cypher - Apparently they did.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 12, 2022

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Not yet but I've got somewhere between 6 weeks and 3 months left in me before I have a major meltdown and quit my job -

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Failed Imagineer posted:

Twitter keeps showing me pics of Charles' fingers. Man's organs are not working right

https://twitter.com/leahgaraas/status/1524605766673461248?t=VTxDl4vrPXTIrg4Iu5cASQ&s=19

i like them little small carrots, they're tasty :yum:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
nothing wrong with wonky veg imo it's how nature intended it

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1524667973147013122

weird, haven't heard anything in the British press about it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1524667973147013122

weird, haven't heard anything in the British press about it

Private Eye have reported on Ehud Sheleg at great length, but they're about the only ones. After all, he only used to be the Conservative Party treasurer.

Regarding why ER postboxes are shorter - if you look at the three boxes, you'll notice that the part you keep above ground is actually the same height on all of them. The change happened mostly because of the massive expansion and revision of the telephone network through the 1950s. The old boxes only had to avoid gas, water and sewer pipes, but phone lines are laid more shallowly and they were now on every street. That means they couldn't use as deep a mooring.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jedit posted:

Private Eye have reported on Ehud Sheleg at great length, but they're about the only ones. After all, he only used to be the Conservative Party treasurer.

Regarding why ER postboxes are shorter - if you look at the three boxes, you'll notice that the part you keep above ground is actually the same height on all of them. The change happened mostly because of the massive expansion and revision of the telephone network through the 1950s. The old boxes only had to avoid gas, water and sewer pipes, but phone lines are laid more shallowly and they were now on every street. That means they couldn't use as deep a mooring.

Where IS Twisto? Anyone heard anything?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Don't want to sound morbid. But he is a motorcyclist...

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
There should be a rule where regular posters have to say why they're going quiet, how long they think they'll be away and when they expect to be back. Like people who go off on long hikes alone, so someone knows to raise the alarm if they don't show up when they're supposed to.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I still think he's stolen my app idea he liked, has made a million dollars and is too embarrassed slash couldn't give a gently caress now.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Where IS Twisto? Anyone heard anything?

He was campaigning for that crooked ex-myor in Tower Hamlets.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
He disappeared around the time the thread was going through a very toxic phase a few weeks back so I assumed it was because of that. Was close to unbookmarking it myself at the time.

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Maugrim posted:

He disappeared around the time the thread was going through a very toxic phase a few weeks back so I assumed it was because of that. Was close to unbookmarking it myself at the time.

He hasn’t posted on his Twitter for a month or so either.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really hope he is just having some time off :(

Mebh
May 10, 2010

What was the toxic phase in the thread? I obsessively read this thread but honestly can't remember. Mostly due to ADHD.

If twisto has gone missing we should start a conversation stating all sorts of things true or not about the isle of dogs and tower hamlets. That'll bring him out.

I like canary wharf. Looking up at the big buildings always gives me a pleasing sense of vertigo and when i lived in Haggerston for 3 years the vue there was my closest cinema on the tube after they put the overground link in.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I miss the big news ticker in Canary Wharf.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
The private estates on the south-west of the Isle of Dogs between Westferry Road and the river - and the tall walls that denote their presence - actually improve the place because it means that islanders don't have to accidentally catch a glimpse of South London once in a while

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

[places the 3rd candle] I've always wondered why brutalist architecture looks like that. It's a shame there aren't really any good examples of shopping centres that really show it off at its best.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
St. Paul's Cathedral was built in the 10th century, which is why its distinctive feature is known as 'the millennium dome'.

The letter t in the River Thames is silent but the h is extra loud to compensate.

The City of London is its own legal entity, which is why the most popular men's football team in London is called Man City.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Isle of Dogs is actually called 'I Love Dogs'

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I still think he's stolen my app idea he liked, has made a million dollars and is too embarrassed slash couldn't give a gently caress now.

more like your CRAP IDEA by which I mean ALL OF THEM

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

private schools like most goons went to often have classes on saturday mornings.

No they didn't. I had Saturday detention once for 'hacking the school computers'.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Wierd thing I miss is the old mechanical destination board at Liverpool Street station. You just had to look at it when you heard it change. The electronic one they replaced it with was also too small to read easily.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Flip boards are cool and IMO we should have more of them. Obviously solid state displays are easier to make and run, but IMO some technology is also art.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Way back when I worked back room security at a bank I found a bunch of those Grayson flip clocks (that anyone who's been in a bank or booking agent or council office between the late 70s and mid 00s will know) shoved away in a box.

Wish I'd had them, they sell for about £300 a piece and I bet they all ended up in a skip.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Angrymog posted:

Wierd thing I miss is the old mechanical destination board at Liverpool Street station. You just had to look at it when you heard it change. The electronic one they replaced it with was also too small to read easily.

I miss those at the main stations. I used to commute through Victoria Station and they changed them for those fuzzy yellow LED things that are hard to read.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would also accept a nixie tube display.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The East End of London is poo and smells of jobbies & Twisto wants to kiss the DLR

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Can't be good news if a poster as prolific as twisto just suddenly goes silent. Unless it is good news and he's got a new girlfriend or something.

Without doxxing, I really hope there's some goon out there who might have an actual irl relationship with him who can confirm if he's OK or not.

drat, I really have parasocial relationships with posters on these forums. He won't even know that I exist :qq:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I would also accept a nixie tube display.
Those are also cool, but I don't think they ever took off that much in the UK compared to the US and USSR, outside of some very niche equipment packages.

UK (and Japan iirc) ended up more on the side of edge display meters for numerical output like

other than the hyperactive cousin of the nixie, the dekatron, for any neon gas based electrical counting

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The Perfect Element posted:

Without doxxing, I really hope there's some goon out there who might have an actual irl relationship with him who can confirm if he's OK or not.

Maybe ask on whatever the big London bikers FB group is if there's been any biker downs involving a Ducati? (iirc that's what he rides?)

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/GdnPolitics/status/1524869416856408064?t=eB9ym14ShrVgjvbg_f-YDA

Austerity is back baby, its still poo poo awoouu (primal scream)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Maybe he should axe some MPs instead. One MP must be worth at least 3-4 civil servants and he's got 600 of them spare.

Also wouldn't sacking 90k workers just make the unemployment statistics look terrible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
There’s also the conundrum of ‘cut jobs, save money, fund tackling the cost of living crisis’ not doing much to aid the cost of living for those who, you know, don’t have a loving job any more.