Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

FMguru posted:

they were supposedly spending $10bn/year on metaverse /vr stuff and that division supposedly had 18000 employees

I have a feeling that at least some of this current crash is from places like Meta being expected to do layoffs and causing the tech bros to, if not sell for USD, at least stop putting more money into crypto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Perplx posted:

besides being media distraction meta was about scanning the inside of your house using a vr helmet

why exactly would they be interested in the insides of my trash hovel?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

ransomware dried up since russia locked itself away from the world's internet and as a result crypto volume cratered and a few cashouts plus people running arbitrage attacks against dumb contracts have caused prices to plummet and a lot of idiots to have massive losses.

eh i think this is probably wrong

crypto has become insanely correlated with the nasdaq because it's the same speculative bubble. interest rates were zero, people were looking for returns, they piled into dumber and dumber poo poo. now that interest rates are rising and those bubbles are popping, crypto is as well.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

why exactly would they be interested in the insides of my trash hovel?

just another data point for advertisers/cia, they would see you live in a trash hovel and not just infer it from your posts

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
This is incredible, the first virtual hot dog!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Paladinus posted:

This is incredible, the first virtual hot dog!

that's a glory hole

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

It looks SO poo poo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Wachter posted:

It looks SO poo poo

It's a prototype, it's going to have smaller pixels on release.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Good thing they censored it, now nobody will know it looks like a stupid piece of plastic strapped to your face

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/unusual_whales/status/1524789830844043266?s=21&t=f12DHP4R4JBw_wS6dLrThQ

edit: this I guess

https://twitter.com/terra_money/status/1524785058296778752?s=21&t=f12DHP4R4JBw_wS6dLrThQ

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i'm glad the decentralized future currency that can never be shut down by a central authority has been shut down by the central authority

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

just reboot it

https://twitter.com/terra_money/status/1524790163846864896?s=21&t=f12DHP4R4JBw_wS6dLrThQ

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
https://twitter.com/rajat_suresh/status/1524769767676125184?s=21

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
no, you fool! apes were not meant to have more than one slurp juice!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

quote:

My retired dad and my close to retirement mom have been hinting that they want me to get them into crypto over the past year. I’ve been reluctant to help in the midst of a raging bull market. Now that we’ve had a pretty consistent downturn Im willing to start helping them dollar cost average. My parents are fairly anti-tech and don’t even use online banking. Naturally my dad‘s reluctant to open a Coinbase account. If I were to buy bitcoin for them and send it to a cold wallet, how would this work down the road if and when they realize profit?

quote:

Don't!

quote:

Nope. Dont.

quote:

If you love them, don’t.

quote:

People saying "don't" are "investors" who are in the business of trying to make more fiat.

If you believe that fiat money is full on corrupt and that decentralized money is the future, why the hell wouldn't you set up your parents on a moderate DCA program? Unless you think they're going to die in 5 years, absolutely get them started.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

FMguru posted:

they were supposedly spending $10bn/year on metaverse /vr stuff and that division supposedly had 18000 employees

doing what? they had that many people making "second life, but not fun"?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

> People saying "don't" are "investors" who are in the business of trying to make more fiat.

quelle horreur

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hammerite posted:

its from this april 2022 article: https://www.theverge.com/23022611/meta-facebook-nazare-ar-glasses-roadmap-2024

quote:

It’s unclear if people will find AR glasses useful in the next few years. Similar products from Microsoft, Snap and others are far from mainstream. And the stakes couldn’t be higher for Meta. Its division making metaverse hardware and related software has swelled to roughly 18,000 people, costing the company $10 billion last year alone. To build the glasses and future VR hardware, Meta has aggressively poached from Microsoft, Apple, Google, and others, driving up the price of talent across the industry.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
now that the prices are cratering, it's the perfect time to buy!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FMguru posted:

has swelled to roughly 18,000 people, costing the company $10 billion

even if you paid each one of those people $200k (a pure fantasy), that's $3.6b, where the gently caress is the rest of that going

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
a lot of execs and they don’t get paid $200K

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

even if you paid each one of those people $200k (a pure fantasy), that's $3.6b, where the gently caress is the rest of that going

FB mainstream software toucher pay literally is $350k-$400k

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
And the execs make several times that, yeah

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Twerk from Home posted:

also, employees have costs above their pay (benefits, taxes, office space and overhead, etc)

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Had no idea that moral compasses were going for that much these days

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

evilweasel posted:

also, employees have costs above their pay (benefits, taxes, office space and overhead, etc)
the usual rule of thumb is that employees cost the company roughly twice what their salary is

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/marenaltman/status/1524652171026911232

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fisting by many posted:

eric adams should have to pay a lot more than that to be mayor

hes too busy partying with neocon shitheels and wrecking homeless people's poo poo to notice

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
*goes to a retardedly expensive nightclub packed with Young Republicans*

oops guys i got covid

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
eric adams is really bad

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Hammerite posted:

They lumped anything tangentially related to VR/AR into that. Location services, mapping, 3d engines. It all counts.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

look i don't need to win the billion dollar jackpot on the lottery tickets i bought, i will settle for the five million dollar prize

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

good pitch, definitely get all excited to do it and explain to your parents that you can't ever actually get money back out because it's not about that and see how enthusiastic they are to hand over their savings after that

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

They laughed at my physical ape hoarding, but now who has the last laugh???

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

genuine question, if an ape is "worth" $1000 then ether drops by 50%, is it now worth twice as much ether, or is it worth $500?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
YOU CAN'T DEVALUE MY JPEGS, THEY'RE NON-FUNGIBLE

NON

FUNGIBLE

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Chalks posted:

genuine question, if an ape is "worth" $1000 then ether drops by 50%, is it now worth twice as much ether, or is it worth $500?

they're "valued" separately based on precisely which ape.jpg you have, but since you most likely have to sell in ETH, the latter

e: if this makes no sense remember we're talking about trading jpegs as unregistered securities here

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 12, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Beeftweeter posted:

YOU CAN'T DEVALUE MY JPEGS, THEY'RE NON-FUNGIBLE

NON

FUNGIBLE

https://twitter.com/MikeDulaimi/status/1522306898397118465?s=20&t=nrrVRVYXTpgfqaPxUEOgjw

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

love that the number is just bleeding out at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/liz_franczak/status/1524753471853019137