Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Augus posted:

wait so does that make Freya Jigen

No Vivi is Jigen, he has the hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

zedprime posted:

It's good by including the ability to turn rules on and off with only a modicum of weird travelling and interacting with the game so that you always have the good rules on.

Yeah, only if you know what you're doing to turn off the annoying rules. But if was your first playthrough and you did it blind, the rules can get really messy before you even know it.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tae posted:

When people profess their love of triple triad, are they including or exluding the rules that make it garbage like random cards and debuffs

The only rule I ever really had any issue with was Random.....until I realized I should just Card Mod all the cards I don't want to see in a game of Triple Triad.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I have I think like 250 of the cards in FFXIV and the most annoying rule is secretly plus

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just cannot grok plus and same, no matter how many times I read the description.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

I just cannot grok plus and same, no matter how many times I read the description.

this has been me since ff8 came out

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Scalding Coffee posted:

Just turn off the air supply or drop it on the moon.

They can't do this because the Sorceress Power will pass to some random person outside Esthar's control though

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I just remembered that the only happy moment the Princess has in FFT is playing a reed flute with Ramza, because despite being a noble Ramza is the type of person who would ignore politics and poo poo to just be a fun-loving dork who plays reed flutes and orders milk at a bar and wears buttpants without any irony or awareness.

Ramza doesn't give a poo poo, if you're cool with him he's cool with you, and even if not he'll at least give you a chance to change your mind before he screams for twenty minutes and stabs you twenty times.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Ramza loving OWNS

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

quote:

I remember... the intense heat of the flames...

Hey now I know how Cloud felt at Nibelheim.

I guess I'm okay with FFT not being released on Switch for a while, seeing as how I no longer have a Switch to play it on.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Rythian posted:

Ramza loving OWNS

Best, dumbest protagonist. He’ll do what’s right whether it kills him or not, but also he is stronger than everyone and surrounds himself with living gods.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ramza has a great character arc. He starts out as a sweet, dumb, naive boy and grows into a sweet, dumb, naive boy who can punch gods to death.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ramza is the Jack Garland of the Playstation era.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Help Im Alive posted:

I have I think like 250 of the cards in FFXIV and the most annoying rule is secretly plus

Plus is poo poo in FF8 because it's one of the few things that can threaten you when playing a powerhouse deck full of unique.

Plus can be a pain in XIV when it's causing unexpected losses against easy opponents, but setting up a hand with lots of side synergies can be one of the best ways to dunk on cheating NPCs with crazy hands.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

Ramza is the Jack Garland of the Playstation era.

Ramza is who Jack Garland actually is.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I just started playing FFX-2. With this fiend capture system, is it possible to beat the main story with just like, a friendly Coeurl and his gecko in the party?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Man, I’m loving FFV. It’s the only classic era FF I don’t mind grinding, it’s so much fun to figure out different combinations of jobs and abilities. Wish I hadn’t waited so long, but now I’ve got FJF to look forward to.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

There’s a reason it is the best non-FF14 FF!

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Here's the source:

https://twitter.com/mal4m/status/1524597956242034694

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Everybody’s Green

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Mega64 posted:

I just remembered that the only happy moment the Princess has in FFT is playing a reed flute with Ramza

Someone had the critique that Triangle Strategy's opening, like, 12 chapters were miserable, with terrible thing after terrible thing happening to the party. And they were finding it hard to keep going due to all the misery.

Which is a weird thing to say since they were comparing it to FFT, which opens with a princess you're protecting being kidnapped, and continues with tragedy after tragedy. Ramza is betrayed, branded a heretic, has his sister kidnapped, watches his best friend's sister die, goes into exile, is used by said best friend, his father is murdered by his brother--who he kills-- then is forced to kill the zombie version of his brother--the list goes on.

And the final spit in the eye is none of the truth gets out until presumably well after his death.

Yet, he remains reasonably optimistic, nice, and naive. Ramza deserves better!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

thetoughestbean posted:

Brother will never gently caress
he's the kind of guy who will bluntly ask women to gently caress until one with poor judgment finally agrees

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In addition to the source, here's a rendered version:

https://twitter.com/mal4m/status/1524814261570125824

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

In addition to the source, here's a rendered version:

https://twitter.com/mal4m/status/1524814261570125824

:sickos: that owns

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

YoshiP, Sesame Street x FF14 when

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Today's letter is "D". D stands for *doink*

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

i apologise in advance

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Winklebottom posted:

i apologise in advance

Well now I'm just...confused in many ways.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Winklebottom posted:

i apologise in advance

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I posted the other day about how much I’m loving FFV, and I do, but man, the Pyramid of Moore can gently caress right off. It’s not that it’s hard, my party is more than strong enough to get through it, but the amount of backtracking plus the absurd encounter rate is really pissing me off. At least it’s good for soaking up ability points.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I always beeline for the top and then come back for treasure when I have Lenna.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That's a good dungeon to use a map on, as while there's some good treasures there, many of them you can skip and not miss out on anything depending on your party and even the version you're playing (like the Thornlet is useless unless you're going for the magic underflow glitch to boost the Gaia Hammer, which only works in the SNES/PS1 versions).

Many treasures are just Dark Matter, and the one job that can even use them, Chemist, doesn't really have much need of them. Also, a few treasures are also sold in Mirage, so it might be more convenient to buy them there than bother with chest encounters.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Almost every encounter in that dungeon dies to 1-2 hits of the Bard song Requiem.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Bongo Bill posted:

Almost every encounter in that dungeon dies to 1-2 hits of the Bard song Requiem.
Zephyrus isn't undead and also has the 1% flee rate, the actual worst fuckin' encounter

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Zephyrus isn't undead and also has the 1% flee rate, the actual worst fuckin' encounter

For some reason, I kept getting preemptive strikes and was able to take her out before she summoned enemies for the most part, so she wasn’t too pad.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Stranger of Paradise done and dusted. God, I don't think I've seen anything so gloriously dumb.

Kudos to Nojima and Nomura for sticking to their guns and taking the simple plot of Final Fantasy and turning it into a gigantic clusterfuck that somehow manages to still make sense the only way they could. It was awkwardly told and pretty hamfisted, but it wore its doofiness on its sleeve and managed to be charming. Who were all these people surrounding Jack? Who cares! They're all just accomplices with barely developed characters but drat if they're not still memorable! Angry Jack was the star of the show and manages to transcend the memes to become this year's best hero.

The gameplay was the glue holding this whole mess together. Once I realized that I shouldn't get too drat greedy with my attacks and pace myself the combat became a whole lot more manageable. It's really unique, and although certain jobs are just way more useful than others they manage to cater to all playstyles when you learn their eccentricities. They're all viable. I still haven't unlocked them all, but that gives me a bit more incentive to come back and try the higher difficulties.

There's always the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster if you want the pure FF experience (which I just finished another playthrough of), and I was ready to laugh SoP off as some tryhard meme factory trainwreck, but I'm kinda glad it exists. I'm gonna take a hiatus from it though. Now I can spend more time on my new job as a professional Monster Hunter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/surfacage/status/1526242894721748992?t=J8n-cnaptNkRy0VJ_ImHjg&s=19