Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The cactus stones are there for if you either really like Kimahri or don't feel like you hate the Thunder Plains enough and want them to be worse. For whatever reason, you have to hit Square to activate them instead of X. I don't think anything in the game ever tells you this.

I'm also surprised that you stopped your diligent Lanceting at the Iron Giant. Even though it doesn't have a particularly useful move, it still instantly fills up your Overdrive meter once when you learn it. (And it's good for the small, agile enemies, since they can't dodge it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nidoking posted:

The cactus stones are there for if you either really like Kimahri or don't feel like you hate the Thunder Plains enough and want them to be worse. For whatever reason, you have to hit Square to activate them instead of X. I don't think anything in the game ever tells you this.

I'm also surprised that you stopped your diligent Lanceting at the Iron Giant. Even though it doesn't have a particularly useful move, it still instantly fills up your Overdrive meter once when you learn it. (And it's good for the small, agile enemies, since they can't dodge it.)

Actually, one of the books in the travel agency tells you to use square. There is no indication that the book is an interactable object, so that just transposed the problem.

Why would you use that against enemies if you have stone breath. Petrify is incredibly broken and besides bosses, most enemies aren't even immune to it.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Nidoking posted:

For whatever reason, you have to hit Square to activate them instead of X. I don't think anything in the game ever tells you this.

Some insane developer thinking "yessss of course, the player must try to recruit the stone to his Blitzball team!"

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

disposablewords posted:

Game. Game, please. We really didn't need this "hey, so sexy!" re-introduction of Rikku from a couple episodes ago followed so soon by her having a literal child's fear reaction to lightning including crawling around and clinging to an adult's leg. Please, please, infantilization is not actually hot.

Eh, I'm not sure infantilization is the correct word here. Her fear of lightning is not that of a child frightened by the loud noise, it is a deep phobic reaction brought about by serious trauma. A phobic reaction to something she is now completely and inescapably surrounded by. An extreme reaction to that is not particularly damning, especially in a land that never heard of therapy.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
who needs therapy when you have BLITZBAWW

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

who needs therapy when you have BLITZBAWW

Please include a trigger warning if you're going to say lightning related words like "blitz". This is a safe space for Rikku.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
It's weird that among her family, except for her cousin, maybe, Rikku is the most well adjusted.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 25 - In Sickness Or In Health, But...

Blitz

And I cannot stress this enough

Ball

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's weird that among her family, except for her cousin, maybe, Rikku is the most well adjusted.

Edit: Ignore me, made a joke about X-2 Brother but I am dumb and can't read.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Her brother is a famous blitzball star that single handedly carries the Aurochs to victory. He's way better adjusted :colbert:

Incidentally, y'all got me to pull this one out of my backlog and play it for the first time and boy howdy does blitzball spiral out of control almost immediately. I've got multiple dudes that just wade through the enemy team and punt the ball past the goalie with minimal effort.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Her brother is a famous blitzball star that single handedly carries the Aurochs to victory. He's way better adjusted :colbert:

Incidentally, y'all got me to pull this one out of my backlog and play it for the first time and boy howdy does blitzball spiral out of control almost immediately. I've got multiple dudes that just wade through the enemy team and punt the ball past the goalie with minimal effort.

Fair point. Brother is basically twice as fast as everyone else. But I always liked the implied backstory, that their dad took one look at the new born baby and said "Hell no! We're absolutely not stopping with that one. I want a proper child." And then he gave him that very descriptive name, which didn't actually make sense before Rikku was around.

Rikku's dad is an rear end in a top hat.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 13, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Fair point. Brother is basically twice as fast as everyone else. But I always liked the implied backstory, that their dad took one look at the new born baby and said "Hell no! We're absolutely not stopping with that one. I want a proper child." And then he gave him that very descriptive name, which didn't actually make sense before Rikku was around.

Rikku's dad is an rear end in a top hat.

Please, the man had just become a father. His response to seeing his son was clearly, "oh brother" and then he just rolled with the joke.

I really wish I could find an everyone offense ai setting, I'm trying to hand the ball to the opponents so they can shoot and thus let me actually learn shot techs, but my team refuses to do anything but hang out around me on defense and steals the ball back every time.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 26 - Going To Mad

A cold chill ran down my back when the butterflies showed up

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, enemies listed as "Very Nimble" are the ones Gooba& is meant to counter; he's accurate enough to hit them, and hits hard enough to generally one-shot them.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Gooba& has whiffed them nearly constantly are you sure

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Yeah, they're his. It's just that you guys are a bit underleveled. I think the game generally expects Wakka to be able to one-shot his kind of customers as well.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It’s also why Frank lost that summon duel. You did generally the right thing, Frank just didn’t have enough stats to actually kill.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
The problem is that you are using Khimari too much. Everyone else has his own enemy types. He's only there to steal kills and make other characters (in this case Rikku) less unique in their own niche.

A large part is also the use of the expert sphere grid. Since you are less restrained by the usual linear paths, your characters get a bit more similar. If you hadn't made that little detour with Auron to get Gooba&'s haste, thereby picking up some agility, he'd wiff even more of his attacks.
On the other hand you seem to be along the road less far than the game would expect for some characters. The eyeballs and blizzards are definitely meant to be one-stop at that point.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 15, 2022

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

You're also neglecting a lot of tools that would really make things easier. You sold off a lot of equipment with "SOS Nulshock", which makes you completely immune to lightning (in battle) below half HP. Yuna's NulX spells (which hit the entire party) will also negate one attack of a given element. The Chimera you keep fighting uses elemental attacks extensively.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Counterpoint: it's more fun when you get mad and start hooting so ignore their advice

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I sold the SOS Nulshock stuff because I'm gonna be immediately healing everyone out of the SOS range. Also using magic is lame and I can just get electrocuted for free :mad:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 27 - gently caress The Woods

I got a huge e-mail about this episode getting age restricted because of the title, and I'm like :geno: okay

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Can't have kids reading the word 'gently caress', please consider retitling your video.

Cum, dick, gently caress, pussy, Gooba&, titties, vagina, queef.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Danaru posted:

Gooba& has whiffed them nearly constantly are you sure

For the record, "Very Nimble" and "Flier" enemies are very much distinct. "Very Nimble" are the agile lizards, the wolves, stuff like that.

Pretty sure Gooba& hasn't missed them once... he just almost never gets to actually swing at them.

(also it kinda bothers me that Auron is on Gooba&'s sphere grid instead of his own, but that's more OCD than anything else)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 15, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Oh by the way, don't take our bitching about how you suck at video games too literally.
I don't want to speak for the crowd, but I personally love you guys stumbling around in confusion.
But I am kinda concerned about how Kimari is becoming your MVP, just because he and Yuna happen to have scan on their weapons. Using him is just not natural and should be shunned.

By the way, those chimeras rotate between four types of attacks in a regular pattern. Only one of them (thundara) is an actual spell. If the AI is trying to cast a spell, but the monster is silenced, it just loses it's turn, so that's useful here.
In fact, you can absolutely cheese these guys, by making them blind and then continuously casting the Null- Spells with Yuna.
Also, if a pure spellcaster can be silenced, it will just stand around forever and will never do anything again.
This game is incredibly great at making status effects worthwhile. Poison damages more than attacks, Silence breaks AI, blindness makes you miss like 90%, petrification is usually instant death for enemies (and can be near instant death for you see Auron), haste and slow are broken beyond belief, sleep and confusion are only broken with a physical attack, so you can snipe around with spells for a long time, and those X-Break attacks basically half the corresponding value. Even those stat boosting specials like Cheer are quite good at long fights. Cheer can be stacked 5 times without running out. Each iteration reduces damage taken by 1/15, so at 5, you only get 66%. Also you get one point of attack. That does not sound like a lot, but keep in mind those attack points have an exponential effect, where you basically always hit 99999 at 255. Five additional points are a significant increase towards that.

Man, I love this game. It's weird that I was younger than those dorks, even Rikku, when I first played it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Butterfly chasing is great. Here, dodge these tiny sprites and pick up others. They all blend into the background and you'll have no depth perception, because sprites in a 3d environment viewed almost sideways.

Also we stuck one right next to a level transition, so if you run through the last butterfly on one of the maps it resets your chest.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps most obnoxiously of all, there pretty much is absolutely no point to doing so at this stage of the game. The item you get is useless until much later.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Gnoman posted:

Perhaps most obnoxiously of all, there pretty much is absolutely no point to doing so at this stage of the game. The item you get is useless until much later.

Eh, technically you can get some of the lower prices which might have some use. Same goes for the lightning dodging.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Danaru posted:

I sold the SOS Nulshock stuff because I'm gonna be immediately healing everyone out of the SOS range. Also using magic is lame and I can just get electrocuted for free :mad:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 27 - gently caress The Woods

I got a huge e-mail about this episode getting age restricted because of the title, and I'm like :geno: okay

I'll have you know the local kindergarteners were very disappointed they couldn't watch your family friendly videos today.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Eh, technically you can get some of the lower prices which might have some use. Same goes for the lightning dodging.

Completing it now only gets you ||elixirs and megalixers||, which are of very limited use right now. Not really worth the aggravation at this point. There is no effect on prices.

There's value in some of the thunder dodging prizes, and great value in solving the mysterious stones, but chasing butterflies now is pointless.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 28 - Hey, Rikku?

Honestly I really like how many boss fights have basically puzzle aspects to them, although this one had maybe a few too many :shepface: I looked it up afterward and it's basically a giant if/else stack

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Video is unlisted.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
You're unlisted :mad:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Cloacamazing! posted:

I'll have you know the local kindergarteners were very disappointed they couldn't watch your family friendly videos today.

Who is going to teach my children to shid and fard and cumd???

Also yeah gently caress the butterflies. Fuckers just turn invisible with their bitch-rear end two dimensions turned sideways, and my color vision sucks so I just have trial and error which are blue then memorize the route.

But not as much as gently caress lightning. My current record is 5, so uh, 2.5% of the way there! :shepicide:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That boss is a pain in the rear end, and getting out of it with only a few KOs (and landing the overkill) is pretty good. If you're accustomed to relying entirely on magic for healing (and thus skimp on items), or you've dealt with every boss so far by just walking around with all your aeons at full overdrive so you can simply chain them, you'll have a really rough time.

I am so very glad you didn't get Rikku instead of Lulu for the cutscene.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 29 - More Than A Thousand

In hindsight, the counter to auto-potion seems kinda obvious, but also it's easier to just summon a giant unicorn to obliterate them

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
If you hadn't had neglected Gooba&, casting Slow on Seymore makes this a cakewalk. If you go beyond that and have reflect for Yuna at this point, it's hilarious.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

This fight is why I was pushing you to remember the nulX line of spells.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Your Trommel impression is spot on.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Gnoman posted:

This fight is why I was pushing you to remember the nulX line of spells.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing, just hasting her and mashing that "immune to element" button as hard as I could. And I barely made it through! Seymour is actually pretty nasty.

I also didn't realize the auto-potion counter until afterward when I scanned a later appearance of those enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Akratic Method posted:

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing, just hasting her and mashing that "immune to element" button as hard as I could. And I barely made it through! Seymour is actually pretty nasty.

I also didn't realize the auto-potion counter until afterward when I scanned a later appearance of those enemies.

There's a counter outside of "Burn them to the ground"?