Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

One of the things I absolutely hate in MMOs is when they limit what items can be traded with other players.

This anti rmt stuff is annoying because rmt doesn't really affect me as a player. Who loving cares if rmt players are buying loot? You can just loot that poo poo off them when you kill them. Who cares if rmt farmers are looting tons of goods in raid? You can just kill them in raid.

Flea market bots and cheaters? Now if that's what's facilitating rmt, go after that. Removing functionality from the game is so stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Charles 1998 posted:

One of the things I absolutely hate in MMOs is when they limit what items can be traded with other players.

This anti rmt stuff is annoying because rmt doesn't really affect me as a player. Who loving cares if rmt players are buying loot? You can just loot that poo poo off them when you kill them. Who cares if rmt farmers are looting tons of goods in raid? You can just kill them in raid.

Flea market bots and cheaters? Now if that's what's facilitating rmt, go after that. Removing functionality from the game is so stupid.

This will likely curb some cheating, because you can't sell your cheat looted poo poo anymore, thus removing profit incentive for cheating.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Charles 1998 posted:

It's because cheats are allowing players to steal all the good items on the map with nobody at all finding out. You can't 'just kill the hackers' when they use ESP and radar hacks to avoid all other players entirely and scoop up good loot.

I've said this at least a half dozen times before in this thread but anyone with half a brain who wanted to make real world money off tarkov would be cheating in this manner because up until now there has been literally no way for BSG or the playerbase to combat the tactics

This change is just about the only way to make sure those specific types of cheaters get shut down because otherwise the entire playerbase has no idea they are even in the server so they can't be killed or reported. They just scoot out of raid unnoticed and sell the poo poo on RMT sites for real world profit.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Not realizing my own strength, I accidentally hurl a fourth gold chain to the ground. It immediately turns molten, beginning to bore towards the core of the earth. Lost forever.

Tarkov changes a man.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Bussamove posted:

Not realizing my own strength, I accidentally hurl a fourth gold chain to the ground. It immediately turns molten, beginning to bore towards the core of the earth. Lost forever.

Tarkov changes a man.

drat, wishing for a change to the elite strength perk was really a monkey's paw situation huh

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
How do you think the sellers get the rubles for RMT?

They cheat, scam, or they hack accounts. So yes RMT directly affects you.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
Can't you use the barter system on the flea if you want to exchange items?

I guess you'll have to wait until lvl15, but honestly that should be pretty rapid if you aren't solo.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

It's because cheats are allowing players to steal all the good items on the map with nobody at all finding out.

Incorrect. It's because the game allows them to do that. How is it the server doesn't just auto kick someone when they open a box or loot an item that's more than a few meters away? How is it the server doesn't auto kick someone when they move at a speed far greater than possible in the game? Obviously the game client works within boundaries that don't allow players to do these things, why can't the server?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Well I didn't know it was that easy. Surprised tarkov is the only game that hasn't been able to solve the cheating issue.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Maybe someday we can play together and I'll teleport your dude so you eat a ban. The server should stop me.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Well I didn't know it was that easy. Surprised tarkov is the only game that hasn't been able to solve the cheating issue.

Most of those games are plagued with aimbot which is a little harder to deal with than "this person moved 3x faster than the max movespeed too often"

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

Can't you use the barter system on the flea if you want to exchange items?

I guess you'll have to wait until lvl15, but honestly that should be pretty rapid if you aren't solo.

From what I have read on the EFT subreddit, it's completely impossible to reach level 15 without someone dropping the now banned items for you. Nobody will ever reach level 15 again.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

How is calculating speed and checking if that speed passes a certain threshold hard? How is checking the distance between two points hard?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Charles 1998 posted:

How is calculating speed and checking if that speed passes a certain threshold hard? How is checking the distance between two points hard?

I'm not a network engineer but I did QA on an anti-speedhack feature on a major MMO, and from that experience I can say... VERY HARD. That is unless you have a high tolerance for false-positives and/or degrading network performance.

But I'm sure you've seen the obvious simple solution that has vexed industry professionals for years, in which case you should go into business selling it and getting rich instead of trying to be right on a stupid internet comedy forum.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.
A friend of mind had a great idea about this "remove item" thing.
Don't remove the items when the items are dropped, remove them when the player leaves the raid.
This means you can drop cash for your buddies for car extracts, and if they need injectables you can drop those too. It's also less "immersion breaking".
It also means for people that are paying RMTers will basically do it once, and then never again because the stuff they paid for is gone. An extra screen after the raid is over explaining what was deleted and why stops it been a "bug".

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

You can still drop up to 20k roubles and one of each injector.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The concern for me is that there are a lot of little things that are chipping away at the overall core of the game, this idea that things should be heavily simulated to a real degree. First it was FIR status, which was partially billed as a way to stop the trading, so now those pesky RMT traders couldn't just auction their ill-gotten wares. Then it was the money cap, which is exclusively meant to stop RMT, but that hasn't worked either. Now it's dropping items, which once again will probably be bypassed; and once again, the way that most players will experience this is as an arbitrary and non-sensical limit to how they can play the game. Are these limitations something you will hit every raid? No, but when you do hit it, it always feels bad. During the traderpocalypse event, we realized that money spawns were increased, so I hit up the cash registers with my buddies. A few filled me up to the limit the game allows, and left my character standing there at ten full cash registers, thinking to himself, "This is enough, I don't want that money," which felt really lovely. Ultimately did it matter that much? No, but it really drains the feeling of enjoyment out of doing something clever when you hit an arbitrary limit, especially when that limit is only imposed to stop other people and it doesn't stop them anyway. It's similar to how some DRM for games is so noxious that players who pirate the game have a better experience than people who pay, and it turns out that the DRM doesn't stop the pirates anyway.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bucnasti posted:

I'm not a network engineer but I did QA on an anti-speedhack feature on a major MMO, and from that experience I can say... VERY HARD. That is unless you have a high tolerance for false-positives and/or degrading network performance.

But I'm sure you've seen the obvious simple solution that has vexed industry professionals for years, in which case you should go into business selling it and getting rich instead of trying to be right on a stupid internet comedy forum.
It's definitely not something you would want to do in realtime, but random server-side dead reckoning could do it with a reasonable degree of certainty over several matches. Roll it up into a ban wave every Thursday :haw:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Bucnasti posted:

How hard is it to do a very basic and rudimentary location check to see if you're actually standing within x feet of a crate you're lotting instead of across the map?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ChesterJT posted:

How hard is it to do a very basic and rudimentary location check to see if you're actually standing within x feet of a crate you're lotting instead of across the map?
Loot vacuum's another thing; you could even be charitable and make the distance 2x the player's normal reach (on a cylinder if you were feeling lazy). That's another calculation you can do when the raid ends by recording item-player position pairs when something is looted, which is an event the server needs to record anyway.

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.

beejay posted:

You can still drop up to 20k roubles and one of each injector.

Some people have more than one friend*.

*that get shot a lot.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
The fee for selling 2 SJ6s for 60k each is now 42k roubles.

What.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Charles 1998 posted:

Good anticheat is insanely hard, even with the most intrusive detection methods

If you've somehow cracked the code, I'm sure there's a very long line of developers that are incredibly eager to hire you

ESEA/FaceIT for CS:GO and riots AC for Valorant are best in class by far, and hacks for both are still just a google search (and paid subscription) away

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The fee for selling 2 SJ6s for 60k each is now 42k roubles.

What.

Yeah they wrecked the top end of the market with insane fees.

Why do they hate us?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't think you'll ever be able to have good anti-cheat as long the user has administrative rights on the device.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Am I the only one who's left spinning forever on some maps again? Lighthouse especially.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

ChesterJT posted:

Every single basic check you can think of falls apart when you consider the fact that lag and connection issues exist, high server load exists, and all sorts of things that can make your client and the server with disagree on where you actually are through no fault of your own.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Umbreon posted:

Every single basic check you can think of falls apart when you consider the fact that lag and connection issues exist, high server load exists, and all sorts of things that can make your client and the server with disagree on where you actually are through no fault of your own.
That's only if you refuse to put an upper bound on how bad someone's connection can consistently be, to the point that banning them is a favour anyway.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

AlternateAccount posted:

Am I the only one who's left spinning forever on some maps again? Lighthouse especially.

try unplugging any joystick/controllers you have

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Goast posted:

try unplugging any joystick/controllers you have

I haven’t any

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Killing kitted PMCs as a scav is so much fun. It rarely happens for me but I got two kitted players today with some really jank guns.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, ambushing a well equipped PMC and dropping them with a one or two tap is the best rush in this game.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

That's only if you refuse to put an upper bound on how bad someone's connection can consistently be, to the point that banning them is a favour anyway.

There's a whole lot more to what can go wrong with a connection than just latency, FYI. And you're still not taking into account that high server load is a problem too, when the service gets stressed all kinds of things get fucky between the agreements of client and the server. Any basic checks like what you guys are discussing in this thread would lead to shitloads upon shitloads of false positives and innocent players being banned.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Individual checks might result in innocent players getting put under scrutiny, but if you layer 3-4 different stats across a few raids I challenge you to come up with a counterexample for someone who maximizes $/time AND spends the 5th percentile least time in-raid AND who somehow loots > 2x the maximum interaction distance consistently. You're disregarding holistic analysis by saying the problem is impossible to solve moment-to-moment.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I am mediocre, so everyone else must be.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Individual checks might result in innocent players getting put under scrutiny, but if you layer 3-4 different stats across a few raids I challenge you to come up with a counterexample for someone who maximizes $/time AND spends the 5th percentile least time in-raid AND who somehow loots > 2x the maximum interaction distance consistently. You're disregarding holistic analysis by saying the problem is impossible to solve moment-to-moment.

Sure. During times of high server load, almost if not everyone is going to be reporting all kinds of impossible position transversals and looting distances and whatnot because their clients are no longer being heard by the server with any sort of consistency.

Holistic analysis is cool and BSG already does a bunch of that, but you cannot leave it to automation to decide who eats the ban when the system flags someone. When you take away automation, you have to process all the red flags manually, and that takes time and makes players think that people aren't getting banned. Coincidentally, that happens to be the exact situation we're all currently in right now.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
How is the game even playable under the load you're describing? I don't see how lag prevents detecting the vacuum hack to extremely high certainty, either. If one player loots >X% of the cash value of the map, and several of those transfers occur near-simultaneously at extreme physical separation, and they do it consistently raid to raid, no one needs to review that. If you run the stats once the raid ends and there's a coherent timeline, then all of the timing issues you're describing go away.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

It always amazes me when people assume that this stuff has not been thought of. You honestly think it's super easy to do, they just haven't thought of it yet, or just randomly don't want to implement it?

edit: By the way, the screenshots/videos of the vacuum hack in tarkov show a warning on the screen that vacuuming loot will get you banned within like 2 hours... so they actually have figured out that part already.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Umbreon posted:

In most games I play, if I'm lagging it just teleports me back where it thinks I should be. If I try interacting with something shouldn't be able to reach, it just doesn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

beejay posted:

It always amazes me when people assume that this stuff has not been thought of. You honestly think it's super easy to do, they just haven't thought of it yet, or just randomly don't want to implement it?

edit: By the way, the screenshots/videos of the vacuum hack in tarkov show a warning on the screen that vacuuming loot will get you banned within like 2 hours... so they actually have figured out that part already.

You'd be surprised at the dumb poo poo people do because they don't realize the implications of doing it the lazy way.