Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peanut President posted:

french people are thin because they get all their calories from alcohol

By that logic there'd be nobody overweight in the UK and Ireland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

weight is mostly about how many calories you eat.

whether that weight is muscle or fat depends on your activity levels and exercise.

of course larger muscle mass burns more calories passively and the act of exercising burns calories but it takes quite a bit of exercise to burn off a typical meal. Much easier to balance the equation by eating less if the goal is to lose weight.

Not all calories are equal, brown rice has more calories but digests more slowly which also has an impact. The easiest calories to cut are carbs, starting with simple carbs i.e. sugars, because the body only uses them as energy. You are made out of protein and fat so you should eat those, especially healthy oils like olive, sunflower and fish oils.

Also alcohol is good to avoid.

There's no real tricks to it.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the only successful weight loss treatments medicine knows about are endocrine in nature. bariatric surgery and glp1 agonists, also ampetamines but lol

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Antonymous posted:

whether that weight is muscle or fat depends on your activity levels and exercise.

of course larger muscle mass burns more calories passively and the act of exercising burns calories but it takes quite a bit of exercise to burn off a typical meal. Much easier to balance the equation by eating less if the goal is to lose weight.

Not all calories are equal, brown rice has more calories but digests more slowly which also has an impact. The easiest calories to cut are carbs, starting with simple carbs i.e. sugars, because the body only uses them as energy. You are made out of protein and fat so you should eat those, especially healthy oils like olive, sunflower and fish oils.

My friend that is a gross oversimplification and also advice about individual habits isn't really useful when it comes to a population level epidemic

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Shame Boy posted:

By that logic there'd be nobody overweight in the UK and Ireland

hmm good point, maybe beer is just worse for you than wine

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Antonymous posted:

yeah like said above that's really oversimplifying

there are overfeeding studies where people gain weight by eating a ton of calories, but at some point they simply stop

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

perhaps capitalism can solve a sedentary lifestyle, idk

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

the hunter gatherer tribes that have been studied, where in some cases their lifestyle is quite sedentary and they eat sugars for a huge percentage of their diet (like some of the groups in the south pacific) is pretty interesting. they are all slim as gently caress, everyone's BMI is like 22 or less. I think the theory is living on an island, in isolation from others and civilization, means basically no exposure to pollutants and toxins.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think maybe shipping, packaging, cooking, and serving all of our food and drink in petroleum and having guts, brains, and blood full of the same might have something to do with the state of things

But who knows maybe the entire population of major countries completely changing their physical composition in half a century after a 200,000 year stasis might just be about not eating enough brown rice or not being able to count calories like our ancestors used to

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

actionjackson posted:

the hunter gatherer tribes that have been studied, where in some cases their lifestyle is quite sedentary and they eat sugars for a huge percentage of their diet (like some of the groups in the south pacific) is pretty interesting. they are all slim as gently caress, everyone's BMI is like 22 or less. I think the theory is living on an island, in isolation from others and civilization, means basically no exposure to pollutants and toxins.

i'm curious what is considered sedentary for a hunter-gatherer vs an american who only walks 20 ft to their car/couch twice a day

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think maybe shipping, packaging, cooking, and serving all of our food and drink in petroleum and having guts, brains, and blood full of the same might have something to do with the state of things

But who knows maybe the entire population of major countries completely changing their physical composition in half a century after a 200,000 year stasis might just be about not eating enough brown rice or not being able to count calories like our ancestors used to

yeah I mean a lot of the pollutants and toxins are certainly much more recent, as a result of industrial capitalism

and I think HFCS first showed up in the late 1970s

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i'm curious what is considered sedentary for a hunter-gatherer vs an american who only walks 20 ft to their car/couch twice a day

well part 4 of this shows some examples.

https://slimemoldtimemold.com/2021/07/07/a-chemical-hunger-part-i-mysteries/

the one about the Kitava has a good picture and a link to a research article

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the only successful weight loss treatments medicine knows about are endocrine in nature. bariatric surgery and glp1 agonists, also ampetamines but lol

amphetamines own

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they own too much, unfortunately

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
It's time to bring back mother's little helpers

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I should be allowed to have cocaine

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

so many things have changed in the last 100 years that our lives are incomparable to any previous time in human history

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Danaru posted:

Who can say they live among the free when their cries for premium schneef go unanswered

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Danaru posted:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Danaru posted:

Same god damnit :mad:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Antonymous posted:

my understanding is that sucrose, cane sugar, is 50% glucose 50% fructose.

Fructose is glucose + sucrose

nope nevermind, you're right

been too long since i've watched the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

stringless has issued a correction as of 21:51 on May 12, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

PokeJoe posted:

amphetamines own

Danaru posted:

Apparently before coke hit the scene americans were consuming staggering volumes of amphetamines. It really is amazing we didn't nuke the world into a smoldering cinder in the throes of amphetamine psychosis

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

coke? buddy we got meth now

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

capitalism made me fat simply because exxxon needed to put the 4 liters of coke i drink a day in a fossil fuel bottle, not in a drinking horn like my ancestors

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It's factually true if you chug mead from an aurochs horn instead of becoming an obese moron you'll be inspired to write sagas like a poet and also get ripped

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

explain rennaisance festivals then

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dungeon Ecology posted:

explain rennaisance festivals then

counterfeit horns

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

actionjackson posted:

well part 4 of this shows some examples.

https://slimemoldtimemold.com/2021/07/07/a-chemical-hunger-part-i-mysteries/

the one about the Kitava has a good picture and a link to a research article

Look at this dude. This dude is hot as hell and the article says that's the norm among the islanders?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

his pecs look like a bodybuilder's and those triceps and traps look photoshopped

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Shear Modulus posted:

Look at this dude. This dude is hot as hell and the article says that's the norm among the islanders?

Guy must be religious about using his standing desk going to the gym five days a week and putting all his macros in myfitnesspal (not to mention all the brown rice and beans he must be eating)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Norton posted:

so many things have changed in the last 100 years that our lives are incomparable to any previous time in human history

Flush-able toilets alone are a luxury every empire before 1900 would've gone to war and annihilated entire nation states for.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
The guy who spent a lot of time among the Hadza wrote a book about metabolism, which y'all might find interesting:

Herman Pontzer: Burn (it has a dumb marketing subtitle and I refuse to copy - Burn is a perfectly good title)

https://www.science.org/content/article/scientist-busts-myths-about-how-humans-burn-calories-and-why

quote:

By borrowing a method developed by physiologists studying obesity, Pontzer and colleagues systematically measure the total energy used per day by animals and people in various walks of life. The answers coming from their data are often surprising: Exercise doesn’t help you burn more energy on average; active hunter-gatherers in Africa don’t expend more energy daily than sedentary office workers in Illinois; pregnant women don’t burn more calories per day than other adults, after adjusting for body mass.

It's pretty dang interesting. Most of our ideas about how energy expenditure actually works are kind of bad, it turns out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pentyne posted:

Flush-able toilets alone are a luxury every empire before 1900 would've gone to war and annihilated entire nation states for.

not the English, Elizabeth I had one in 1596

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ECA stacks work, and aren't technically amphetamines, just a precursor.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
still endocrine unless sympathetic hormones stopped bein hormones somehow

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

pentyne posted:

The Minoans had flush toilets in 2K BCE, the Muslims had flush toilets during the Golden Age in the 8th-14th centuries, Elizabeth I had a flush toilet, and the first British patent for a flush toilet was issued in 1775.

e:f, flushed

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Maybe people are gaining weight because our society has been converted into a dopamine desert and our culture is built around the idea that you need to white knuckle the deeply unnatural and miserable conditions in which you live.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Like idk it's not really that surprising that people who hang out and connect with their community all day aren't gaining a ton of weight regardless of the food and exercise situation. They probably have a really high rate of ADHD too because most nomadic & hunter/gatherer cultures do. But despite being dopamine junkies at a higher rate than "civilized society" they don't need to eat to feel things because nobody is chaining them to a desk and telling them their ability to remain productive is the most important fact about them.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
no, the island of nauru has a coherent and stable community and their average bmi is getting into the high 30s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

no, the island of nauru has a coherent and stable community and their average bmi is getting into the high 30s

Nauru is an abandoned phosphate mine duct taped to an abandoned prison.