Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Nothing is real

Like, what is "real"? what does it mean

makes u thinkj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
what is happening???

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Takes No Damage posted:

Race used to be real, then we genocided the Neanderthals and Denisovans and now it's just a bunch of homo sapiens pots and kettles doing this:

The homo sapiens banged the neanderthals and turned em into denisovans.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
That doesn't sound right to me but I don't know enough about science to dispute it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ajaxify posted:

Joman songs

Lmao, these are fantastic. The little stops and dialog samples in the Electro House bit are great (Dee gurgling into the mic really got me).

Also every time I go back to 'The Gang Tries Desperately To Win An Award' I forget that Charlie's piano man bit is basically a Randy Newman impression.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

The homo sapiens banged the neanderthals and turned em into denisovans.

Yeah I can never remember which ones we actually murdered and which ones we just inbread with to the point there was no discernible genetic difference anymore. I think it was actually in this thread somebody recommended A Brief History of Humankind, the early chapters go through what poor neighbors our ancestors were.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

That doesn't sound right to me but I don't know enough about science to dispute it.

I JUST watched this scene a few days ago, but all of Sunny is such a blob in my head that individual episodes are meaningless to me now. Was it the one where Mac and Charlie get trapped in an empty swimming pool?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah I can never remember which ones we actually murdered and which ones we just inbread with to the point there was no discernible genetic difference anymore. I think it was actually in this thread somebody recommended A Brief History of Humankind, the early chapters go through what poor neighbors our ancestors were.

I JUST watched this scene a few days ago, but all of Sunny is such a blob in my head that individual episodes are meaningless to me now. Was it the one where Mac and Charlie get trapped in an empty swimming pool?

Wasn't it The Cereal Defence? I think there's also osteological finds of Sapiens with significant Denisovan ancestry but they've all but become undetectable in modern Homo. Goes to show how hard it is to find let alone categorise any differences among us at all

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Takes No Damage posted:

I think it's the one where Frank goes broke and they fire Charlie?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Takes No Damage posted:

That one is Mac and Charlie: White Trash, and the I dont know enough about the stars line is from The Great Recession.

the unabonger fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 12, 2022

Nov 6, 2002

The bar smells like trash!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah that's the nice trash smell he's been cultivating

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I altered the quote to fit the joke! sorry thread. that was quite the wild goose chase.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I also have to admit that I also commandeered an Always Sunny joke for my post. The neanderthals weren't actually banged into denisovans.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Mac, can a Neanderthal rip in half?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

CPColin posted:

Mac, can a Neanderthal rip in half?

Like tissue paper.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Takes No Damage posted:

Race used to be real, then we genocided the Neanderthals and Denisovans

They didn't fit the profile!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I thought it was funny that a racist caricature of an arab men as a terrorist is still ok but Martina Martinez isn't, is it inevitable for more Sunny episodes to be memory holed in the future or will societ at large will figure out this erasure of existing works of questionable taste and ethics is maybe not necessary? I don't know, it's not really a rant against cancel culture I don't give a crap about any of that, and we all have a folder of every sunny episode on our hard drives anyway like others itt said, it's just silly I guess.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Does anyone have a gif (w/ substitles?) of frank saying "orgy?" It's one of my favorite things. :) Thank u :egg:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I thought it was funny that a racist caricature of an arab men as a terrorist is still ok but Martina Martinez isn't, is it inevitable for more Sunny episodes to be memory holed in the future or will societ at large will figure out this erasure of existing works of questionable taste and ethics is maybe not necessary? I don't know, it's not really a rant against cancel culture I don't give a crap about any of that, and we all have a folder of every sunny episode on our hard drives anyway like others itt said, it's just silly I guess.

The whole thing started with twitter and internet writer idiots noticing 30 Rock had a couple episodes with blackface in them and then Hulu deleted them and then went on a hunt and got Always Sunny. It was literally just about makeup on faces which is why none of the other racial humor or racial slurs on Sunny got dinged. Since it didn't come from like a cultural shift or anything and just a corporation making dumb, inconsistent decisions anything could be next!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah there was no objective look into the context of any of it, just "they did black face, it's obviously because they are racist".

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
TBF, who wants the job of watching every scene from every TV show involving x-face and making the call if it's 'OK' or not? Ironic racism isn't necessarily racism, but it's also impossible to prove, at least at the time. Going by the following 12 years of the show the Gang, and certainly the actors, are not racist, but I can at least understand some suit upstairs at FX choosing the Nuke From Orbit option and taking an early lunch.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

1glitch0 posted:

The whole thing started with twitter and internet writer idiots noticing 30 Rock had a couple episodes with blackface in them and then Hulu deleted them and then went on a hunt and got Always Sunny. It was literally just about makeup on faces which is why none of the other racial humor or racial slurs on Sunny got dinged. Since it didn't come from like a cultural shift or anything and just a corporation making dumb, inconsistent decisions anything could be next!

One of those 30 Rock episodes was specifically about how only an idiot would do blackface in that context, and the other while yes, black makeup, was about a specific person for a specific purpose. It wasn't a caricature, the joke was being two black Swan(n)s, which would have made no sense without the black makeup. So I guess it's potentially crass, it's certainly not the same as traditional blackface. It's not even the same as someone dressing as even Mr. T, or something, where it would still be obvious what the costume would be without the makeup. Lynn Swann without being black would just be Pittsburgh Steeler #88. They could have easily not done the second joke, but it also very obviously wasn't done with any ill intent. The blackface wasn't about blackface.

The Sunny ones, also recognized as unacceptable in the show's context, were worse to a degree.

It's also not a big deal to remove them from streaming, no dog in the hunt. The purpose of the Sunny and white face / black face 30 Rock jokes were to call attention to black face with that being the laugh. Black face seriousness is still at a certain expense for humor. The Lynn Swann joke is just not the same to me.

It's certainly not 1:1, but 30 Rock also does Jewish stereotypes which are totally okay to everyone it seems.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
First the bed turd now this

Which episode will come to life next?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

First the bed turd now this

Which episode will come to life next?

That was actually based on a thing the writers did first.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah the mentioned it in one of the podcasts but Howerton actually did the cereal thing and once got rear-ended or something, spilling cereal all over himself

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

He also mentioned that the mood immediately turned from sympathy to "wait, why the gently caress were you eating a bowl of cereal in your car?"

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

glenn looks like a registered sex offender

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

His shaved head on the most recent podcast is :discourse:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Looke posted:

His shaved head on the most recent podcast is :discourse:

I deeply deeply want to see them keep that for a while so Dennis can do a wig reveal episode

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

IIRC a lot of it was around summer 2020, during the arms race by every corporation to co-opt as much woke language as possible without affecting any positive change whatsoever.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Puppy Galaxy posted:

IIRC a lot of it was around summer 2020, during the arms race by every corporation to co-opt as much woke language as possible without affecting any positive change whatsoever.

yeah I specifically remember the reaction to Hulu removing those IASIP episodes being a universal ?????. Like it might be my bubble but I saw zero support of it. Everyone understood that like, the Gang are not good people

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

XboxPants posted:

I deeply deeply want to see them keep that for a while so Dennis can do a wig reveal episode

Did I frighten you?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Why not just put a little disclaimer on Netflix/Hulu/home releases saying 'contains scenes of stereotyping. These are intended to mock racism, and the cast and crew do not endorse these actions'.

In episode, all of the normal people are shocked and appalled by the character's behaviour, and they end up being punished for it, its pretty obvious that the joke is 'racism is stupid and only done by stupid morons'.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
It's funny that Disney of all companies is better at this poo poo than Hulu or Netflix. I think the disclaimers on anything is dumb (who the hell is firing up Song of the South without knowing what it is?) but it's better than blind and random censorship.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

OldMemes posted:

Why not just put a little disclaimer on Netflix/Hulu/home releases saying 'contains scenes of stereotyping. These are intended to mock racism, and the cast and crew do not endorse these actions'.

In episode, all of the normal people are shocked and appalled by the character's behaviour, and they end up being punished for it, its pretty obvious that the joke is 'racism is stupid and only done by stupid morons'.

"The gang on 'It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia' are representations of the worst humans imaginable. This show's purpose is to portray their awfulness and the continual torture they invite upon themselves and anyone who associates with them with their behaviour. The fact we have to explain this to you is embarrassing for us both."

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Rape! this white boy has got his hands all over my beautiful brown body

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chaosbreather posted:

"The gang on 'It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia' are representations of the worst humans imaginable. This show's purpose is to portray their awfulness and the continual torture they invite upon themselves and anyone who associates with them with their behaviour. The fact we have to explain this to you is embarrassing for us both."

I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKjxFJfcrcA

Hey this actually ties in with the newest podcast, which is just the gang playing The Newlyweds game with each other. I deeply connect with Rob having "one drink" a night, size indeterminate.

Nov 6, 2002

OldMemes posted:

I think I might be in the minority here, but I think I agree with removing the episodes for two reasons. Never underestimate how stupid people are in their inability to understand satire and... racists will use anything they can find in the mainstream to justify their behavior.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Howerton has said in interviews that fans will come up to him when he's out and about and say 'the Gang reminds me of me and my friends, you guys are so cool' which is horrifying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Howerton has said in interviews that fans will come up to him when he's out and about and say 'the Gang reminds me of me and my friends, you guys are so cool' which is horrifying
Eh, the gang are obviously terrible people, but they have their moments of being a genuine friend group just cracking jokes and having fun.
Like cancelling all our plans for the day to investigate and discover the mystery behind who pooped the bed sounds like an amazing day of good-natured fun.
Or who wouldn't want to have their own version of Chardee Macdennis they've been playing for years?