Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
ngl I wasn't sure if that was Hayden Christensen's boots or Anakin Skywalker's lore-accurate space pilot boots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Gonna guess Hayden's from the treads.

He should have taken the Cushing approach to being in scenes where his feet will be out of frame.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

ngl I wasn't sure if that was Hayden Christensen's boots or Anakin Skywalker's lore-accurate space pilot boots

The other side of the camera.

After hearing recently how Batman's boots were just nike sneakers with leg warmers, I wouldn't be surprised if Anakin's boots were built up around real shoes. But while poking around for more information, I did find this picture of Anakin's socks.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
https://twitter.com/halhickel/status/1524813735902121993?s=20&t=96k1dcMOJ61Xg-eiXLqC9w

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGag8Qllgnw

In memory of Peter Cushing's slippers, Peter Cushing's Napoleonic miniatures

e: boys from 12 to 150, and for that more intelligent sort of girl that likes boys' games and books!

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 13, 2022

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

The gently caress

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Hell, if it means phil tippett got paid why not

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

a sexual elk posted:

The gently caress

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-mysteries-getting-to-the-bottom-of-max-rebo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Not since Lapti Nek will Max Rebo fans have their worlds rocked this hard.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Basically it's a failed effect, and to most people it looks like a guy with arms standing behind a keyboard because that's what it was and how they filmed the effect.

And then they managed to more successfully implement a similar concept with Sebulba.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
It looked that way to Lego too. I had no idea that wasn't the intended look

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, if you dig even deeper into it, most EU sources made the same judgement and assumed that he had a lower half and also wasn't naked. Which goes all the way back to the original Kenner toys. So for all intents and purposes, that was canon.

But with Disney's new EU some people have lowkey been trying to retcon him to be the original intent.

It is what it is. The Old Republic MMO I've started playing recently, and I think they kinda end up split between the two, because they have Ortolans, but while they're four-limbed, I think they got the height data from somebody in the no-legs camp which is why they're depicted as being tiny little dwarves.

Another possible galaxy brain revelation from the original intent: Max Rebo doesn't have ears.

Sy Snootles also has a weird thing where her puppet was originally supposed to have another mouth beneath the trunk, before they decided to put the mouth at the end of the trunk, and that kinda shifts a bit between shots, and there's a weird EU explanation about the species like the explanation for Ponda Baba having flippers and fingers. And I remember that most strongly from an episode of Dexter's Lab that riffs off of that.

I don't think there's any revelations about Droopy McCool and Joh Yowza.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The only canon Max Rebo is this Max Rebo anyone else is wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQxAmHdGtZA

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlothfulCobra posted:

It is what it is. The Old Republic MMO I've started playing recently, and I think they kinda end up split between the two, because they have Ortolans, but while they're four-limbed, I think they got the height data from somebody in the no-legs camp which is why they're depicted as being tiny little dwarves.
I think that's just because all the shorter speicies just use the same base model. The Ugnaughts and Jawas are the same height, as is Treek.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Bob Fett Show was months ago and somehow Wookieepedia hasn't made up a class name and backstory for these background ships yet:

You're letting me down, neckbeards!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Madurai posted:

The Bob Fett Show was months ago and somehow Wookieepedia hasn't made up a class name and backstory for these background ships yet:

I’m calling it a YT-6900.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fartknocker posted:

I’m calling it a YT-694200 modified FTFY Corellian Heavy Freighter

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Madurai posted:

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Unidentified_passenger_starliner

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/dlatusek12/status/1524801768474959873?t=oRnlZM6dVWmVrY1-YkHTsQ&s=19

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Madurai posted:

The Cowpatty

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Madurai posted:

We're in a new era, we can't just go around making up ship names and designations willy-nilly. We have to wait for Disney to figure out what it's called canonically and let us know.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Madurai posted:

Megabus

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Jesus, trigger warning

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Should be Pepsi

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

The flesh tone is….disturbing

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Madurai posted:

Upgraded version of this.

While we're on it.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

I played Kotor 1, actually

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That was in a bar, totally different.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the interesting things about forums is that poking around with a search engine you may just end up finding some interesting old discussions from years ago. Never stumbled on something like that with Tumblr.

Anyhow, I found an old forum thread talking about the Tantive IV, its scale, internal layout, and how it developed from the original plans for Han's ship.
https://boards.theforce.net/threads/secrets-of-the-rebel-blockade-runner-tantive-iv-unveiled.50045075/page-3

Apparently there was some thing where Lucas squeezed more money out of the producers at the last minute to get the Tantive set made, and the little corridor that Leia was in with the droids was the original set that was being made for Han's ship that they extended (also they call Han's ship the "pirate ship", so I wonder what was changed in how Han was written in the story).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Joe Johnston they mention in one of the images is the same guy who later went on to direct The Rocketeer and the first Chris Evans Captain America movie. He also came up with the original design for Boba Fett.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

The Joe Johnston they mention in one of the images is the same guy who later went on to direct The Rocketeer and the first Chris Evans Captain America movie. He also came up with the original design for Boba Fett.

Johnston's Star Wars Sketchbooks are pro-buys if you can find them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SlothfulCobra posted:

(also they call Han's ship the "pirate ship", so I wonder what was changed in how Han was written in the story).

http://www.starwarz.com/starkiller/adventures-of-the-starkiller-second-draft/

You can get a sense of it here. In his earliest human incarnation, Han wasn’t actually the ship’s captain at first, but a minor crewman who makes the deal with Luke, then tries to sell his pirate bosses Oxus and Jabba on it, fails, and just steals the ship instead.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

He also plays one (or maybe both) of the spacetroopers in the first movie

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
What's really interesting about that discussion is that they didn't use any of the shots from Rebels where the Ghost was literally docked to the Tantive IV and we could compare it that way.

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Darth Malbec and the Fettuccine menace

https://i.imgur.com/6L2UKzv.mp4

Linux Pirate fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 18, 2022

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

What's really interesting about that discussion is that they didn't use any of the shots from Rebels where the Ghost was literally docked to the Tantive IV and we could compare it that way.

I guess there is that little chart with the Millennium Falcon is up there, but yeah it's surprising when the Ghost docks and it seems something like a third the size.

I think the Ghost is also a bit bigger than the Millennium Falcon? At least it has more interior space, I guess the Falcon's forks could make it longer. And the Ghost's internal layout has always been kinda hazy, but for both it and the Falcon a lot of the internal rooms could probably be repurposed for cargo space, so they're big open space, while I imagine you can fit more into a tighter space with proper navy discipline.

There's also a lil hangar bay on the bottom in Episode 3, but that's also been retconned to be the Tantive III, an earlier ship, that was further retconned to be renamed the Sundered Heart and modded to have bigger engines.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the Ghost is also a bit bigger than the Millennium Falcon?

Ghost is length 43.9 meters, width 34.2 meters, height 14.5 meters
Falcon is length 34.52, width 25.61, height 7.8 meters

Ghost always felt smaller than the Falcon to me, even with its bigger crew

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Lol every time I remember that the tantive gets zapped out of the sky with nien nunb at the stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Vinylshadow posted:

Ghost is length 43.9 meters, width 34.2 meters, height 14.5 meters
Falcon is length 34.52, width 25.61, height 7.8 meters

Ghost always felt smaller than the Falcon to me, even with its bigger crew
The main difference is the Ghost actually has a fuckton of cargo space in it that you actually see as a big empty room with a gantry in it, whereas the Falcon's "main hold" is the room with the Dejarik table, which is pretty small. The Ghost also has at least three different deck levels to it, even if they're kind of wonkily spaced out.