Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
So BZ is on sale, but I'm getting mixed messages from the thread and, of course, Steam reviews are either "it's god-tier" or "they ruined SN". I guess my question is, if BZ existed in a vacuum, would you enjoy it? Or do you just tolerate it because it's as close to more SN as we're getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It's more Subnautica. It's got some very pretty areas and spooky enemies and it's fun to explore. The story is bad, the environments tend more towards cave diving like the back half of original SN than the open ocean wtf is that above me feeling of the original. The above ground portions are mostly a mistake (the iceberg section is good.)

I'm glad I played it, I'll probably never play it again and just play the original if I've got a hankering to get eaten underwater.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oldstench posted:

So BZ is on sale, but I'm getting mixed messages from the thread and, of course, Steam reviews are either "it's god-tier" or "they ruined SN". I guess my question is, if BZ existed in a vacuum, would you enjoy it? Or do you just tolerate it because it's as close to more SN as we're getting?

It's not really as good as SN in a lot of ways but it's still good and fairly peerless

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Same. It was more Subnautica, more condensed environments, and it didn't have the same magic but it was still fun. Cyclops was better than the sea truck tho.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I really enjoyed the seatruck in BZ which doesn’t seem like a popular opinion but there ya go

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Oldstench posted:

Or do you just tolerate it because it's as close to more SN as we're getting?

https://twitter.com/UnknownWorlds/status/1512146852258459649

(i'm starting at this job next week)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Congrats!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Oldstench posted:

If you like Silent Protagonist stories with non-telegraphed breadcrumbs for figuring out where to go, what to do, etc, then BZ is NOT that.

If you like the idea of Navi or some other sassy omniscient sidekick holding your hand and letting you know that "You should check out the Alien Base 200m below." *after 1 minute of not checking out the alien base* "By the way I just heard about the Alien Base 200m below your current position you should check it out!" Then BZ will fit that need well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo! Congrats!!

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

If you like Silent Protagonist stories with non-telegraphed breadcrumbs for figuring out where to go, what to do, etc, then BZ is NOT that.

If you like the idea of Navi or some other sassy omniscient sidekick holding your hand and letting you know that "You should check out the Alien Base 200m below." *after 1 minute of not checking out the alien base* "By the way I just heard about the Alien Base 200m below your current position you should check it out!" Then BZ will fit that need well.

It's not nearly this bad; you're told where to go but I don't recall being reminded over and over again. It was either literally once and I forgot it, or it actually doesn't happen.

I love the biomes in BZ, as well as the upgraded mechanics, like pinning recipes and a few of the new items.

I vastly prefer the music of the first game though the BZ soundtrack is also good.

I say get it, because it's the closest game you'll find that's like Subnautica, understandably.

Also, completely separately, but thanks to the discussion of No Man's Sky like a month ago, I bought it and holy poo poo it's my new favourite game. I know what it is and what it's not and it's doing everything I want. Love it.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 12, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

This rules.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Remember your pact with this thread. The game is to be a Maurgerite Reaper Leviathan murder simulator!

:black101:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

h e l l y e a h

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I would (and this means nothing for whatever they're making, I haven't even been onboarded, for all I know it's just a krill customization simulator) ideally like more non-inevitably-lethal interactions with predators. Teach them you're not worth the trouble, get an uneasy truce going, keep a wary eye on them in case it's been lean feeding lately. Learn the seasonal rhythms, when they get territorial, when they're bulking up for the cold season. That seems a lot more interesting than murdering all apex predators.

You can roleplay the tragic grizzly bear guy maybe, get too comfy, think you've tamed the power of aquanature. Fool!!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Would you like some more peepers milord reaper

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

General Battuta posted:

I would (and this means nothing for whatever they're making, I haven't even been onboarded, for all I know it's just a krill customization simulator) ideally like more non-inevitably-lethal interactions with predators. Teach them you're not worth the trouble, get an uneasy truce going, keep a wary eye on them in case it's been lean feeding lately. Learn the seasonal rhythms, when they get territorial, when they're bulking up for the cold season. That seems a lot more interesting than murdering all apex predators.

You can roleplay the tragic grizzly bear guy maybe, get too comfy, think you've tamed the power of aquanature. Fool!!

Congrats on the job!

Can you work it into the narrative that the protagonist has gills or a phobia of dry land? Just make sure we keep Subnautica 3 actually set under the water.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

General Battuta posted:

congratulations on the job

just bear in mind that sounds like a lot of work that can be short circuited with avoidance possibly followed by murder

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Would you like some more peepers milord reaper

Yeah it’d be cool to feed reapers something to temporary occupy them so you can explore an area.

Or maybe a handheld fish that gives off a pheromone that keeps big predators away. As long as you hold the fish you’re safe, but if you need to scan something you’re exposed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Subnautica 3 should be set in the treetops.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I mean, natural selection 3 would be a game in the Subnautica universe.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Nice!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

General Battuta posted:

It would be very cool if the ecosystem reacted naturally to the player's actions. Harvest too many plant resources in an area? There's not enough food, and the fish population crashes. Without enough fish, the predators don't have enough food, and become more aggressive to the player.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

General Battuta posted:

This dude isn't "tragic." He is a loving idiot and the natural consequence of people who project human empathy onto non-human creatures.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Thats great.

I loved SN and while I dont like BZ as much i've still played both a bunch because I just love the feeling of the game.
It really just hits all the right chords for me.

But not everyone is the same.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I liked Below Zero just as much as the main game

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

This dude isn't "tragic." He is a loving idiot and the natural consequence of people who project human empathy onto non-human creatures.

Yes, I know. That is why I called him a fool.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
That is fantastic, congratulations.

A narrative I'd suggest is "remember what everyone loved about the original game"

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The sea is called the inner space for a reason and I know General Batuta knows that better than most. It's the fog that is the darkness and the depth that does it in the first one for me. The very thing that triggered the Thallasophobia for all of us is what also got us hooked wasn't it? Lean into the phobia and people will find the adventure. In the dark. In the deep.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

uPen posted:

I mean, natural selection 3 would be a game in the Subnautica universe.

Will I be able to befriend a gorge like I did the cuddlefish?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

After your work on Destiny I'm excited to see what you come up with here. The Ariadne arm has plenty of potential!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Just don't get fired for being an awful person halfway through the writing cycle

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

You are going to do great!

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Ok storyline idea elevator pitch: What if you had a planet where it wasn't water but it was desert and there were giant leviathans in the sand? Instead of oxygen you'd have to manage water and you could have a big flying ship that could carry all your stuff, like a cyclops but instead it's like a Carry-all plane.

No need to credit me I just do this for the art not the gravitas.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Omnicarus posted:

Ok storyline idea elevator pitch: What if you had a planet where it wasn't water but it was desert and there were giant leviathans in the sand? Instead of oxygen you'd have to manage water and you could have a big flying ship that could carry all your stuff, like a cyclops but instead it's like a Carry-all plane.

Watch out, the antigrav hover bike and energy shields are joke items that draw every leviathan on the map to them in a berserk frenzy.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Omnicarus posted:

Do you have any idea how unsexy sand is? It gets everywhere, its horrible! From here on out only lubed ideas from you thank you

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Could probably work in some highly-adapted natives to interact with also. Maybe they could be a help or a hindrance depending on which story option you take.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

How about the next game is about being alone surviving in huge, agoraphobic environments interspersed with beautiful safe havens and terrifying behemoths

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I would buy that game.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I totally want to do a written LP-through of SN1 where Riley is an elite, special-forces, ex-Frontiersman insurance adjuster dispatched to the weird water planet in the Ariadne Arm to figure out What the gently caress, *Again.*

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Cyclops is like, one of the least fun things I have ever experienced in a video game. Doing anything in this thing is a goddamn nightmare. I honestly don't know if I want to finish the game anymore if it involves using this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

veni veni veni posted:

The Cyclops is like, one of the least fun things I have ever experienced in a video game. Doing anything in this thing is a goddamn nightmare. I honestly don't know if I want to finish the game anymore if it involves using this thing.

You're not really required to use it. Cyclops and prawn suit can both reach the lowest depths of the map and the suit has plenty of mobility once you get a grapple arm. You will eventually need to make a Cyclops though to finish the game specifically because one of the parts for the escape rocket can only be crafted on the in-cyclops module bench.