Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Floppychop posted:

For the frigate expeditions do you get better rewards the more ships you send out, or is it just a set amount if successful and more/better ships increases the success chance?

I think higher star-level expeditions get you more (not necessarily better) rewards. You can see the strength of your fleet from the stars before you send them out. I think if your fleet is lower than the star level of the expedition there's a higher chance that one or more of your frigates gets hosed up during the mission.

I've just sent out a fleet that either matches or goes beyond the star level of any given expedition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
If I'm not mistaken, distance is the deciding factor for rewards on frigate expeditions; the longer they have to travel, the more events they proc and the more stuff you get in the end.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

The_Doctor posted:

Sounds like Luton to me.

My sister lives in Luton and honestly yeah

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
:magical:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

"Tears"

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Stare-Out posted:

Is that what they've said? I've had it happen a couple of times and indeed today it was a mission where I had to gather 800+ of activated something or another and I already had it. I reported it anyway but man, the reward was like 250 quicksilver and a salvaged frigate module so drat it.

It would track; I always thought it was just something with collection quests specifically until I tried to grab a mission in the bugged center-of-odyalutai system and it started happening to nearly all of them

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Floppychop posted:

For the frigate expeditions do you get better rewards the more ships you send out, or is it just a set amount if successful and more/better ships increases the success chance?

The rewards are the same randomised ones regardless, but higher fleet ratings (and most importantly, decent ratings in all categories, not only the primary focus of the mission) improve the odds of success. A failed encounter can damage a frigate, and you'll either have to recall it (if you're online at the time it gets damaged) or let it continue, but if that same frigate suffers damage a second time, it'll be destroyed. If you recall it (or if it manages to survive the mission despite the damage), you'll have to go land on it afterwards and run around repairing all the broken poo poo on it to get it back into service.

The primary focus of the mission is they type that most encounters will be, but any mission can experience any type of encounter, so make sure the ships you send are reasonably well-rounded (ideally with each having double-digit values in most or all categories), and send at least a few frigates on every mission (which will also ensure you have redundancy if one does get damaged). These days I make sure all my fleets are 4-5 stars, which usually just involves sending out a few well-rounded ships on each mission once you have a bunch of S-class frigates), and I haven't had a failed encounter in a very long time. Sending more than you need doesn't cost you anything but frigate fuel, which is easy enough to come by (go mine some blue crystals, or buy and process a bunch of jelly for tons of dihydrogen, and shoot some space rocks for a few minutes for tritium).

Also, if you have frigates that aren't S-class yet and still need to level up, just have them tag along with a few of your high-class ships on long missions and they'll hit S class themselves before you know it. Lower-class ships do have a higher chance of taking damage from a failed encounter, but if your fleet is ridiculously OP, you won't have any failed encounters anyway.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I have about 1 'page' of S-class frigates due to neurotically checking almost every npc fleet that I spot in space.

My main thing with sending an extra ship or two over the minimum is the fuel. I can't seem to find enough di-hydrogen to harvest, and if I find it for sale the vendor only has like 200.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Floppychop posted:

I have about 1 'page' of S-class frigates due to neurotically checking almost every npc fleet that I spot in space.

My main thing with sending an extra ship or two over the minimum is the fuel. I can't seem to find enough di-hydrogen to harvest, and if I find it for sale the vendor only has like 200.

you can make infinite di hydrogen by crafting di hydrogen jelly in your inventory, breaking it down into more di hydrogen than you've used to craft it in a refiner and then repeating the loop until you have whatever amount of hydrogen you need

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Either trade your time for di-hydrogen by using a refiner to expand it, and/or send support frigates on the mission to reduce the overall cost by, I believe, 50%.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

really the fuel bottleneck is always tritium for me but they sell it in every outlaw system so I just sorta jump around buying that whenver I run out. that + the nanite generating stuff you can get + getting stuff for cooking are my little 30 minute NMS sessions every now and then when I'm not playing with friends. sometimes the outlaw systems sell hydrogen too. jumping outlaw systems is probably the best thing to do if you're past the commodity trading stuff though I've never really looked at the black market goods as an alternative because there's always so little of it on stations

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I buy my Tritium off of the ship NPCs at the space stations. You can walk away with a few stacks after only a few minutes.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Yep, NPC pilots sell tritium, and you can sometimes find dihydrogen jelly at trade terminals (and I think NPC pilots as well) and buy a whole shitload of it at once that way.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Freighter fuel management gets much easier once you've researched the Freighter inventory teleporter. Once you've got that installed, just buy any Tritium or Di-Hydrogen you run across, and beam it right to the Freighter. Every merchant or trade terminal I interact with, I check for the 2 ingredients, and I don't have to worry about running out.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

The Zombie Guy posted:

Freighter fuel management gets much easier once you've researched the Freighter inventory teleporter. Once you've got that installed, just buy any Tritium or Di-Hydrogen you run across, and beam it right to the Freighter. Every merchant or trade terminal I interact with, I check for the 2 ingredients, and I don't have to worry about running out.

What's the trick to getting the "Salvaged Frigate Modules" needed to upgrade? I only ever got two, which I think are from Frigate missions.

Speaking of, despite matching the minimum stars for the missions, my frigates keep taking damage. It's awfully annoying.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

JerikTelorian posted:

What's the trick to getting the "Salvaged Frigate Modules" needed to upgrade? I only ever got two, which I think are from Frigate missions.

You can also get them as mission rewards at the space stations, or you can find them on Derelict Freighters. One of the NPCs on the Space Anomaly will give you a free Derelict scanner once a week.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

JerikTelorian posted:

Speaking of, despite matching the minimum stars for the missions, my frigates keep taking damage. It's awfully annoying.
You want at least one star over to substantially lower the risk.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

The Zombie Guy posted:

You can also get them as mission rewards at the space stations, or you can find them on Derelict Freighters. One of the NPCs on the Space Anomaly will give you a free Derelict scanner once a week.

Also I think I read the freighter missions are system dependent. So if you find one that gives a frigate module, if you do the mission again in that same system it will give you the same reward.

You can also get them from shooting the cargo pods on frigates sometimes. If you fly up to a frigate you can see the contents of their cargo holds. If you see that it has a frigate module just shoot it and run. Blowing up the cargo pods on a frighter doesn't cost you reputation unlike when you blow up the ones floating around the freighter for whatever reason. They nerfed the drop rate a lot though so it's kinda rare to find the modules now.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

in my experience, only gek NPC pilots commonly have tritium for sale but I've only really been hitting up NPCs for tritium in whatever the current version of the game is. I try to spend more time in gek systems because of this

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I stacked about 100 of those green cargo containers on my freighter and would open them all up and usually get 10-20 di-hydrogen jelly's then break them down for dihydrogen. Then teleport to a system I knew sold trit by the thousands. It was basically an infinite supply since if I needed more, all I would have to do is save and reload to do it all again. But usually just clearing out the cargo containers once a day kept me topped up, iirc.

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 12, 2022

Savage Bliss
Jul 4, 2007

Squibbles posted:

Also I think I read the freighter missions are system dependent. So if you find one that gives a frigate module, if you do the mission again in that same system it will give you the same reward.

Excited to hear this, definitely going to check it out because..

Squibbles posted:

You can also get them from shooting the cargo pods on frigates sometimes. If you fly up to a frigate you can see the contents of their cargo holds. If you see that it has a frigate module just shoot it and run. Blowing up the cargo pods on a frighter doesn't cost you reputation unlike when you blow up the ones floating around the freighter for whatever reason. They nerfed the drop rate a lot though so it's kinda rare to find the modules now.

Yeah, I've noticed I can't find anything but the new loot like prismatic feathers, comet droplets, etc as well as gold and magnetized ferrite and stuff but no salvaged frigate modules since last patch.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I did a little bit of the refining jelly loop and holy hell is that a grind since you can only put 10 in a refiner at once.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The real winning play is

- Get a fleet of C-class support ships, focusing on 2 tonnes/250 LY
- Load up your carrier with S-class support modules
- Send out nothing but support ships to literally everything, scrap anything that gets to S-class but didn't RNG into "Reduced Expedition Fuel Costs" on level-ups
- Enjoy never having to grind jelly into fuel ever again because everything either costs 0 or 50 tonnes no matter how long it goes

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The real winning play is

- Send out nothing but support ships to literally everything, scrap anything that gets to S-class but didn't RNG into "Reduced Expedition Fuel Costs" on level-ups
- Enjoy never having to grind jelly into fuel ever again because everything either costs 0 or 50 tonnes no matter how long it goes

That sounds like a lot of loving effort to go through, only to discover that the real valuable promises are the ones me make... to ourselves. <3

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
There’s still a spare store space in the space stations (to the right of multitools) and my hope is one day it’s a freighter-related shop.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The real winning play is

already to much work

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Zombie Guy posted:

That sounds like a lot of loving effort to go through, only to discover that the real valuable promises are the ones me make... to ourselves. <3

play your relaxing casual space exploration game correctly or not at all :colbert:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I don't even know why you need all this money, the poo poo my settlement produces keeps me in pocket change for days, sometimes I sent the Normandy out on a run if I feel like it, and I can always break down a crashed ship for scrap.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
I'm properly hooked on this game but I can't stop thinking how much cooler it would be if you could build your own ships - or freighters and space stations.

Claim an empty solar system, build and upgrade a space station, use that station to start terraforming planets in the system and to build your own custom freighter and ships.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I don't even know why you need all this money, the poo poo my settlement produces keeps me in pocket change for days, sometimes I sent the Normandy out on a run if I feel like it, and I can always break down a crashed ship for scrap.

It's just another thing to do... figure out the easiest way to max out my wallet. Then use that money to max out all my inventories and fill them all with stacks and stacks of raw materials "just in case" I need them.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

TracerM17 posted:

It's just another thing to do... figure out the easiest way to max out my wallet. Then use that money to max out all my inventories and fill them all with stacks and stacks of raw materials "just in case" I need them.

This is why I don't play that often. Only when I feel the urge to experiment with a building style, or am bored enough to grind for nanites to upgrade some kit.

Or when new things are introduced and I get to improve my ~ a e s t h e t i c ~

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The real winning play is

I can confirm that this is a pro strat. Just every time you run into a fleet you can hire from, suck up their support ships. I used to not bother to send out ships most of the time because I got tired of screwing with fuel, but now that it's usually all free I'll launch a few all-support groups whenever I log in.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Are there any optimization tricks for this game? It runs like complete dogshit on my system, and I can't figure out why. I have an i5-9600k, 32GB RAM, and a GTX3600Ti. I know my CPU is a touch old but like, I don't have performance issues like this in any other game.

Stations are usually OK, but when I'm on a planet all bets are off and it comes a single-digit slideshow. On the other hand I can run Destiny 2 while streaming twitch, running a linux VM, and doing ninety other things with pretty much no issue.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

JerikTelorian posted:

Are there any optimization tricks for this game? It runs like complete dogshit on my system, and I can't figure out why. I have an i5-9600k, 32GB RAM, and a GTX3600Ti. I know my CPU is a touch old but like, I don't have performance issues like this in any other game.

Stations are usually OK, but when I'm on a planet all bets are off and it comes a single-digit slideshow. On the other hand I can run Destiny 2 while streaming twitch, running a linux VM, and doing ninety other things with pretty much no issue.

Ive had similar problems recently and i found resetting my comp solved it. I usually leave my cpu up 24/7. I should reset it more often.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
Finally getting back into NMS after several years. First time through, somebody gave me some super expensive stuff in the Nexus and kinda killed my enthusiasm to play the game because I felt like a god drat dirty cheater.

Couple of things: any good get rich quick schemes that don't involve me getting handed stuff by other players? How can I efficiently get nanites?

Also, found a beautiful planet with mountainous terrain and earth-like qualities right out of the gate with god drat brontosaurus mother fuckers walking around being cool as hell. Problem is there are aggressive sentinels all over the place. I suppose there's probably no solution to this?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

hotdog feet posted:

Finally getting back into NMS after several years. First time through, somebody gave me some super expensive stuff in the Nexus and kinda killed my enthusiasm to play the game because I felt like a god drat dirty cheater.

Couple of things: any good get rich quick schemes that don't involve me getting handed stuff by other players? How can I efficiently get nanites?

Also, found a beautiful planet with mountainous terrain and earth-like qualities right out of the gate with god drat brontosaurus mother fuckers walking around being cool as hell. Problem is there are aggressive sentinels all over the place. I suppose there's probably no solution to this?

Yeah not much you can do about sentinels. Maybe if you build up in the air a bit you can still have a base there?

Get rich "quick" by finding a planet with active indium and building a mining base. Or a chlorine and oxygen mine for a salt factory. These all take a decent amount of effort and exploration

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005

ZombieCrew posted:

Yeah not much you can do about sentinels. Maybe if you build up in the air a bit you can still have a base there?

Get rich "quick" by finding a planet with active indium and building a mining base. Or a chlorine and oxygen mine for a salt factory. These all take a decent amount of effort and exploration

I'll just chalk up the nice planet to a lost cause and move on. I'll probably end up making a thousand bases anyways.

Thanks for the tips!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The only true base is on your freighter.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

if you wanna get mega rich making places to harvest the 3 gasses + farms for plant ingredients + frigate runs for the industrial ores are probably less work than building a zillion silos for activated indium (depending on how often you want to play) but you're bottle necked by the time plants take to grow. selling endless indium is really boring for me personally :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The only true base is on your freighter.

this is all I've done this expedition and it's been a ton of fun. relying only on frigates for gas products keeps you space-middle-class but you can still crank out the highest tier industrial crafting stuff regularly with a freighter farm and buy anything you want.

buying/scrapping ships for nanite grinding isn't really a good way to get nanites in this playstyle but the outlaw stations have a ton of easy to buy stuff that refines to nanites. I've been really enjoying the weird mechanics you have to engage with to do stuff without automated mines/gas extractors/bio domes. It's relaxing to go to some weird planet to slurp up radon with portable extractors while on the hunt for precious protomilk: space's most precious resource and grilling out various foods while the extractors do their thing

my "base oriented" playstyle was just infinite portal jumping to get gasses, then plants then making the industrial stuff. much less fun to stare at the loading screen half the time while running around bio dome complexes the other half (and a smidgen of gas grabbing in the mix)

Marzzle fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 15, 2022