Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

Reaper paints are really good, Squidmar ranked them pretty much right behind Vallejo. I use them a lot, they're quite good and their blacks and whites alone are leagues better than Citadel's.

Yeah, if its the video where they compared like 32 brands or whatever, I figured I'd dive back in with some dripper bottles. I've got a bunch of Humbrol stuff but I find those better for static models, not the kind I'd be manipulating a lot.

Then I decided to take my old Ice Hellions concept and apply it as a Merc Group. Now I'm coming up with lore for said Merc Group being ex-Ice Hellions. And I might be trying to catalog my stuff to see what Mechs I should run to be appropriately themed.

Send help! :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Hello all!

I occasionally run battletech games and rpg sessions, but due to the proliferation of mech types, nukes, and nationalism in the setting (i like the smaller scale space fiefdoms thing) i stopped paying attention to the setting at 3060. But, i think it’s time i finally catch up to the “present” era. Are there any primers I could read to get through the century plus of lore from fedcom civil war to wherever we are now?

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Best Friends posted:

Hello all!

I occasionally run battletech games and rpg sessions, but due to the proliferation of mech types, nukes, and nationalism in the setting (i like the smaller scale space fiefdoms thing) i stopped paying attention to the setting at 3060. But, i think it’s time i finally catch up to the “present” era. Are there any primers I could read to get through the century plus of lore from fedcom civil war to wherever we are now?

You're in luck, catalyst game labs announced recently that one of the upcoming books in 4th quarter 2022 will be Battletech Universe, something that will cover everything leading up to the current ilClan Era:

https://bg.battletech.com/news/restocks-of-core-products-major-update-of-coming-releases/

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Fantastic, thank you!

Is there a TM book covering the common mechs of the ilkhan era? Like “technical manual: 3039” is for its own era?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Here's a short short history of the Battletech Universe, I wrote elsewhere. I also recommend time sink-hole sarna.net

1997: A russian coup d'etat kicks off the 2nd Cold War on Terra.

2014: Russians lose THIS Cold War too (somethings never change), and the Western Alliance use strategic defense to stop the planet from being nuked to hell and back as part of a Russian Civil War.

2016: Humanity takes its first steps out into the universe. Due to the constant speed of light, and not being able to circumvent it, the first ships can take decades or even generations to reach worlds light-years away

2107: Someone goes back to the research of two scientists who had been long thought crackpots for proposing a method to "jump" 30 light years instantly and realizes, "Hey This poo poo Actually Works!" The real colonization craze begins.

2235: Nearly 600 colonies had been formed within 120 light years. Terra tries to control it all, which is... difficult. By the time they hear about something going on the edges, the information is at LEAST six weeks old, due to the time it takes to recharge a JumpShip, and then to make a decision takes at least ANOTHER six weeks to send that decision back to the colony. Terran policy in dealing with these colonies had vaciiliated between "Screw Them, Let them Starve" and "We want to micro-control every thing they do.", depending on the party in control of Terra at the time. Rebellions start to form as worlds get tired of the whiplash between those two states.

2236: As a result of the latest shift in Terran political control, Terra decides that anything more than 2 jumps away from Terra is granted its freedom, whether they wanted it or not. The first Inner Sphere nations start to form in self-defense.

2314: By this point, control on Terra is theoretical at best and laughable at worst. Governments and seismic shifts in power start changing in weeks and months instead of years. Civil War breaks out.

2315: The Terran Navy comes out with a great idea. BOMB THEM ALL and take over, because, well, there's no way the politicians who got them into this mess can lead them out of it. Forms the Terran Hegemony.

The Age of War

2398: The first true interstellar war kicks off, forcing all nations to start grabbing for nearby worlds in self-defense. Regular and unrestricted use of Weapons of Mass Destruction cause several worlds to be permanently uninhabitable. Following a rare outbreak of sanity, nations sign the Ares Convention, which bans the use of those weapons. This has the side-effect of legitimizing military conflict to take over neighboring planets, but eh, at least they're not nuking planets till they glow anymore.

2439: The Terran Hegemony creates the first BattleMech, the Mackie. Uses it against its neighbors quite successfully, as it can do things that would require a whole combined-arms unit to do. All the other nations, through one method or another, end up stealing the plans for BattleMechs because they too have military industrial complexes that want to have trillions of dollars funneled to them. Wars continue at this level for the next hundred or so years.

2560's: The current director-general of the Terran Hegemony has a Eureka moment. Instead of trying to kill each other, why not create a "Star League" that allows inter-nation trade, and keeps Humanity from killing each other on a regular basis. With them as the leaders, of course. Between trade deals and the proverbial "I'm going to make them an offer they can't refuse" (In that if you're not with us, you risk all of us stomping you into the ground and MAKING you part of us), the Star League is formed in 2571... and peace breaks out all over the.. whoops!

2571: Immediately starts killing other, smaller nations that didn't want to join the Star League and really just wanted to be left alone. So much for ideals! Over twelve years, the Periphery is brought into the Star League over the ruins of their worlds, and then taxed heavily for the privilege of being stomped into the ground. Despite all this, for once, there is no real interstellar war. Mankind flourishes. We can't have THIS poo poo, so....

2766: Stefan Amaris befriends the boy prince of the Star League, and steers him to even more punishing taxes on the Periphery, who have had QUITE ENOUGH of this poo poo, thank you very much. Creates such a mess that great swaths of the Star League Defense Force is stationed out on the border, and then in a sudden yet inevitable betrayal, executes him, his family, and anyone who might have a drop of Cameron blood, or even liked the sound of the word Cameron. He thinks it's good to be thorough. He then proclaims himself the new leader of the Star League, and says "What, are you going to fight me about it?". The answer is, of course, yes.

2779: After a thirteen year long slog from the periphery BACK to Terra, the Star League Defense Force takes Terra back from the Usurper.

The Succession Wars

2780: The House Lords all claim to be the new leader of the Star League. They also fire the general of the Star League because they don't want HIM to be the new leader of the Star League. Said leader takes 80% of the greatest army of humanity ever, and peaces out.

2786: The First Succession War begins. The Ares Conventions are basically used for toilet paper at this point. The fighting only pauses 35 years later with no clear winner, because, well, everyone has so taxed their economy by 35 years of non-stop war and has lost so much technology that it's either stop fighting or die.

2821: the First Succession War ends.

2831: SURPRISE! The SECOND Succession War begins. Having pulled their nations from the brink of dissolution, the nations immediately suffer a case of deja vu and start blowing each other to smithereens again. ComStar aids all this covertly, under a divine prophecy that only when the Inner Sphere is bombed back to the stone age can Comstar rebuild Humanity

2864: The 2nd Succession War ends, also inconclusively, because well, humanity has nearly killed itself. Again. Due to the loss of methods of command and control, a neo-feudalistic society, with BattleMechs being treated like medieval knights, and the MechWarriors that pilot them becoming hereditary nobility.

2866: Guess what? Since apparently the lesson the FIRST two times didn't take, a THIRD Succession War kicks off. But this time, everyone seems to agree that there's no more attacking valuable technology that no one knows how to make anymore, because it's literally irreplaceable. Since it's all low-intensity raids and battles, this on and off status of war persists indefinitely.

3025: The third Succession War sputters to an end. Some lostech has been recovered, but again, with ComStar trying to suppress it as a holy mission, it has a long way to go.

3028: Whoops! Fourth Succession War time. But unlike the other succession wars, THINGS ACTUALLY CHANGE! An ancient memory core is found, restoring knowledge of hundreds of years of lost technology. This, combined with two Great Houses (Davion and Steiner) teaming up in a dynastic marriage, leads to them kicking a third Great House (Liao) in the jimmies and taking a good half of their stuff.

3039: The Davion-Steiner Alliance tries to kick the Combine in the jimmies and take THEIR stuff, to remove the last real threat to them being the pre-eminent power of the Inner Sphere. Unfortunately for them, the Combine actually, you know, fights back (aided by ComStar, who are not feeling this technological revival vibe going on). The war is considered a propaganda victory for the Federated Commonwealth, but tactically, it was a draw.

The Clan Invasion

3049: Remember that guy who peaced out with 80% of the greatest army ever? Well, they're back! His son turned them into a genetically-engineered, testosterone filled, might makes right bunch of fascist assholes with new military toys, and they start taking over the Inner Sphere in bite-sized chomps.

3050: The Clans inevitable push stutters to a temporary stop when a golden BB, created a dying aerospace pilot, takes out the Grand Leader of the Clan Armies (their ilKhan). This creates a chance for the Inner Sphere to get their poo poo together while the Clans debate who will be their next ilKhan for pushing on Terra.

3052: Comstar challenges the Clans to a proxy battle on the world of Tukayyid. If the Clans won, Comstar would give them Terra and join them, if ComStar won, the invasion would have to halt for 15 years. To the surprise of most (but not all) of the Clans, they actually lose the battle, when ComStar uses (gasp) tactics and logistics against them! COMSTAR GOOD!

Also 3052: The whackaloon Pope of Comstar, Primus Myndo Waterly, tries a coup d'etat on the Inner Sphere and the Clans at the same time. Fails miserably. (Nevermind, COMSTAR BAD!) Gets shot by her general for being a backstabbing rear end in a top hat. ComStar secularizes and all their religous whackaloons secede and form the Word Of Blake. This can only be a good thing right? At least all the technology-worshippers are stripped of power. (Spoiler Alert: They are not actually stripped of power)

3052-3058: Clans search for a political method to overturn their sworn word. Two Clans on opposite sides of the philosphical debate nearly kill each other in a battle to determine whether the invasion should resume or not. No one really wins.

3060: The Inner Sphere actually gets it poo poo together, forms the 2nd Star League and not only kicks one Clan out of the Inner Sphere, they actually follow up, and take over their home planet. Challenges the Clans as a whole to a battle where if the Inner Sphere wins, the war is permanently ended. Actually wins. Peace breaks out across the univer.. oh wait. The Davion-Steiner alliance pisses off a couple enemies, and gets some worlds taken from it after Victor Steiner-Davion thought it would be good to hide the fact that another house's heir had died under their care for cancer (only long enough to finish getting weapons deals, he swore)

The FedCom Civl War

3062: Nevermind. The Federated Commonwealth (that House Davion-Steiner combo I talked about each other devolves into civil war as the younger sister is mad that her older brother was mommy's and daddy's favorite, manages to take both halves of his nation through political backstabbing, but pisses her brother off enough to go to war to knock her off the throne. Said pissing off included hiring an assassin to kill their mother, and later Victor's soulmate, straight out of Romeo and Juliet.

3067: The Civil War ends. Katherine Steiner-Davion is deposed, and while her brother Victor is victor-ious (sorry, couldn't resist), he doesn't take the throne, since everyone is tired of war. But thankfully, peace breaks out across the.. DAMNIT, WORD OF BLAKE!

JIHAD!

3068: Word of Blake gets pissed the 2nd Star League didn't stick together (and invite them into the clubhouse), so loads up all their nuclear weapons, chemical weapons, cyborg monstrosities, and *shudder* PRAYER CIRCLES! and starts the equivalent of the Last War. The Inner Sphere at this point are old-hands at break ups and hooking back up, so form a multi-national coalition formed under a former Word of Blake POW, Devlin Stone. They kick Word of Blake out, and peace..

(wait..)

and peace breaks..

(what next? Aliens? Transdimensional cockroaches?)

and peace breaks out...

(Ok, you can start blowing poo poo up, the suspense is killing me)

PEACE BREAKS OUT ALL ACROSS THE GALAXY.

The Dark Age:

3130: DAMNIT, IT WAS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE Someone finds all of Devlin Stone's hidden plans for taking over the rest of the Inner Sphere that would come true SOME day, and thinks "Seize the day!" or "Seize the Inner Sphere today". Launches the plan which takes out the interstellar communications network, and starts the Dark Ages. The Republic gets mostly eaten by the nations who hadn't nearly disarmed themselves to the point where the plan actually would work. But that's ok, but Devlin Stone put himself on ice, like a living Excalibur, to be unfrozen in the Republic's time of need, and he can get us out of this mess.

ilClan Era

3150: Turns out, his plans only would work if his opponents did what he was expecting them to do. Two Clans (Wolf and Jade Falcon) land on Terra (Sounds like a Clan ChatterTube Video: Two Clans. One Terra). One Clan wins. The other clan survived. Kinda. The winning Clan says "We win the game! We control Terra so you all have to do what I say.." The other, mostly powerful Inner Sphere clans do their best owl meme impersonation and go "ORLY?" "NO WAI"

And peace breaks out all over..

You know what? I'm not going to even say it, anymore. Because peace ain't breakin out any time soon.

(There's the small matter of large chunks of the Inner Sphere being just about abandoned by any Military Forces because of the push on Terra, a whackaloon Capellan "God-Emperor" who wanted to join the wars on Terra, but has a major sad that he wasn't allowed past the Shield to do so, a couple of former-Mary Sue nations with major problems in leadership, the Kuritans disregarding one hundred years of actual progress and somehow getting to take Davion's Capital, and well.. everything else)

And we Love this game for it.

edit: Yes, I know, "Big Alaric Energy", but I already had written all of this up months ago for elsewhere, and this was just C&P.

edit 2: And I noticed this doesn't have the Wars of Reaving, or as I called it, the Clansanity, which basically wrote off the Clan Homeworld and Homeworld Clans for at least a century in game time

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 12, 2022

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Best Friends posted:

Fantastic, thank you!

Is there a TM book covering the common mechs of the ilkhan era? Like “technical manual: 3039” is for its own era?

They put out Three compilations, with a fourth coming:

Succession Wars
Clan Invasion
Jihad

They've also announced a Dark Ages Tech Manual Compilation, and did a series of small relerases, called the IlClan Recognition Guides, (only in PDF right now, to be compiled into a Technical Readout at some nebulous point in the future)

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.
Yeah as sirfozzie mentioned, there's those compilations Technical Readouts. To cover the common ilClan units until the ilClan Recognition Guide TRO comes out I'd say the Technical Readouts Jihad and Dark Age will cover a lot of ground for your group.

Also if you're into Alpha Strike, http://www.masterunitlist.info has everything you need for AS unit cards.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Not a single line about the Bird People? For shame!

(Thanks for this, excellent summary which has filled in a bunch of gaps for me too. Understand why you didn't include the Wars of Reaving because from all I've attempted to read about them online it's a clusterfuck of clans beating the gently caress out of each other over shifting ideological issues then yelling *sike* and turning on their allies over and over and over again with little rhyme or reason.)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
The Wars of Reaving are very simple: anyone I don't like is tainted, and it's a moral imperative for all untainted Clanners to destroy the taint. (All the IS clans are tainted because they got to invade the Inner Sphere which makes me mad.)

Then the geneticists pitch a tantrum because their precious bloodlines are getting destroyed and unleash their secret clone army, but because they're a geneticist conspiracy their army sucks and they get exterminated by the people with guns.

The people with guns eventually run out of reasons to kill each other, roughly around the time they kill the people who came up with the idea of killing everyone who was tainted. They settle in for a long sulk, polarizing into roughly two camps: "We've killed enough people for now, I guess" and "We should continue killing people".

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Breetai posted:

Not a single line about the Bird People? For shame!

(Thanks for this, excellent summary which has filled in a bunch of gaps for me too. Understand why you didn't include the Wars of Reaving because from all I've attempted to read about them online it's a clusterfuck of clans beating the gently caress out of each other over shifting ideological issues then yelling *sike* and turning on their allies over and over and over again with little rhyme or reason.)

I have another explainer on that one (I've been doing a variety of explainers for BTech reddit

Reasons for the Wars of Reaving:
The question was why did the Homeworld Clans initiate the Wars of Reaving, and the Inner Sphere Clans keeping them down

The first, and most important answer to why the Invading Clans wanted the Home Clans to stay out of the Inner Sphere: Because it made them special. They had the promised land, and by being the only people who could push on Terra, they kept the other clans from being in the race to be the ilClan. Also, it created a psuedo-"Farm League" for them to take the best warriors from whenever one of the Inner Sphere Clans suffered losses. (as happened after the Wolf-Jade Falcon Refusal War, where Vlad Ward and Marthe Pryde launched Harvest Trials against Home Clans units that would distinguish themselves.

What are Harvest Trials? Well, basically, Clan Law says that the Winning Side in a trial gets to take whatever the Trial was about, but if the defending side wins, can additionally claim isorla, or loot, as recompense for what the Trial cost them. So, they came up with a thing where they could have prospective units challenge them over something small, and then if they won, claim the other side's unit as their isorla.

Basically, Harvest Trials were "Hey, you look pretty dangerous. If we beat you in battle, Clan Law says we can take your whole unit as a prize. So if you want to fight in the Inner Sphere promised land, fight well against each other, but not TOO well against us when we come for you, if you know what I mean. *clan wink nudge*

So, think of it this way. The Invading Clans didn't want any of the Home Clans to achieve the same status because A) They didn't want any other people to join their club, and B ) Any Home Clans that joined the fight wouldn't be available for cherry picking later.

So, the political leaders of the Home Clans had gone as high as they could, , but really, they were moderate sized fish in small ponds, and they knew the Invading Clans would never take THEM because, well, to be a Star Colonel, a Galaxy Commander or even a Loremaster/Khan took at least some political ability, and the Invading Clans leadership didn't want anyone to threaten THEIR political position. They just wanted warriors. So a bunch of super ambitious fascistic-like warriors who saw military conflict as the answer to everything were told "Not only will you not grow any further, but any time we need more troops, all we have to do is say "Hey fellas, want to fight the inner sphere, and YOUR troops will say "ME ME ME ME ME" and leave you here in the Homeworlds". I think I joke about this in the one about the Wars of Reaving, but the Home Clans had a roughly twenty-five year case of blue balls.

Because of one set of trials, twenty-five years ago ((long ago that any warriors who actually fought in those trials were most likely solahma or dead), they couldn't do what the Clans were formed to do. Take back the Inner Sphere. So, they're constantly maneuvering to restart the war. After all, with a new war, the old rules about who could participate in the war would be gone. And the Invading Clans, are saying "Nah, we like this situation as it is. Sucks to be you guys. And if you try to change it, we'll stomp on you." So, combined with the Steel Vipers getting bounced from the Inner Sphere by the Jade Falcons, they had the spark ready to ignite. The Steel Vipers started claiming that the reason why the Clans hadn't advanced was because secretly, NONE of them wanted to be ilClan enough. After all, they had twenty five years, and for one reason or another, they hadn't done what the clans were formed to do. They had literally BECOME part of the Inner Sphere, rather then take it. So, in other words, the Invading Clans had become soft. Inner-Sphere tainted.

So, they whipped up a frenzy, and the Home Clans were willing to go along with this because well, the Invading Clans kept sending more of their stuff out of the Clan homeworlds, and were ripe for possibly taking. (Think of it this Way, the Invading Clans had one foot in the Clan Homeworlds and one foot in the Inner Sphere, and that foot in the Clan Homeworlds looked like it wasn't too firmly planted. Now if the Clans could find a cause celebre to push the Invading Clans out of the Homeworlds, they could then move towards being in the Inner Sphere. They got high on their own supply, they actually started believing their own hype that the Inner Sphere clans were tainted, and their material in the Homeworlds was ripe for the taking.

If the Clans had put together a logical front, with well-defined goals, and understanding who would get what out of the deal, it might have been a lot easier, at least numbers wise. Of course, between the logical conclusion that "Inner Sphere clans are tainted. Purge them", providing no escape route for the Invading Clans members in the Homeworlds, the fact that the various Home Clans wanted to be the big winner, with the most loot from the corpses of the Invading Clans as much, if not more than they actually wanted the Invading Clans knocked down a peg), the actual strength of the Invader Clans, well, poo poo got out of hand QUICKLY (didn't help that the Society was lurking underneath, trying to get THEIR hooks into changing Clan Society.

So, it wasn't JUST Home Clans vs Invading Clans it was "The Home Clans vs the Invading Clans AND Everybody versus Everybody over the spoils of the Invading Clans)

Let's take the final stages of the campaign against the Wolf Clan's holdings in the Homeworld, including the Wolves Genetic stock)

It got to the point that folks from different clans were fighting each other to the death over breaches in the wall to Wolf compounds, because they wanted to secure the glory/loot for themselves. At this point you don't have a United Clan Home Front, you have a bunch of marauding warlords on a holy war. And EVERYONE ELSE was the heretics.

Combined with the Invading Clans sabotaging their stuff on the way out, and taking what they could with them, the spoils of the war were much less than the Homeworld Clans expected. They had expected an easy win with all the loot being added to their stores, but truth be told, they lost way more in the fighting than they gained, and combined with the continuation of old grudges being settled after the end of the Wars of Reaving (with the Steel Vipers who had STARTED this whole Clansanity being one of the last victims of it), one can see why they haven't been back to the Inner Sphere for a hundred-seventy five years, if the notes in the Technical Readouts are any indication.

Edit: And the Wars of Reaving had the award for most ironical death. The Steel Vipers had a major mad on because they were kicked out of the Inner Sphere. So, they're part of the whole alliance to kick this off, and it mutates way out of control, leading to the Steel Vipers being the cause of their own demise. "Hey, wait, if the Inner Sphere is tainted, then this clan and its Khan (who just happens to be our ilKhan, and who is acting in a very-Inner Sphere way) should be killed as well"

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I do wish the book did a better job of matching the disappearance of the clan symbols on the sides to the pacing of the book

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Dragon POWER!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Nice!!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Taerkar posted:

I do wish the book did a better job of matching the disappearance of the clan symbols on the sides to the pacing of the book

I could see that working but I get why they did it the way that they did. Besides the literal reading, that the book is the story of the Wars of Reaving, it's also a capstone on the story of the Kerensky Cluster as a whole, so they went all the way back to the start, instead of beginning with just the 15 Clans they had at the time of writing.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Saalkin posted:

Dragon POWER!

God drat these clean lines make me so jealous. I need to tape off a line now.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Finished my Lyran Commonwealth 4th Alliance Guards (RIP). Not quite Peak Lyran, because I can't get a Blitzkrieg or a Hauptman (yet) but they've got big "don't talk to us our our child ever again" energy.

Command, this is Hardcase!
Paingood here!
This is Rooster~!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 13, 2022

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Very helpful. Thanks all!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hardcase here! Paingood here!
This is Rooster!

Oh god this takes me back...

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Fearless posted:

Oh god this takes me back...

Burned right into my brain. "Hunter here, spare parts for everyone!"

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

raverrn posted:

Burned right into my brain. "Hunter here, spare parts for everyone!"

"My armour's coming apart like paper...."

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Those are some sexy robots

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My six year old made friends with a neighbor in third grade. I mentioned to him last week when he was over playing that if he came over on a weekend, we could get one of my board games out since we'd have enough time to set it up and play, so of course this Saturday he was over at 8:30am. In any case, he took to Battletech like a fish to water and helped my son with the math and more abstract mental concepts. As you can see, the battle royale quickly turned into a 2v1.

When his mom came to pick him up (really to deeply apologize for letting her son show up before she had even woken up), the two tried to explain the game to her and it went well over her head. She looked at me and shrugged and said, "It's probably better than screen time."

In any case, the boys are very enthusiastic to play again and love acting out what their mechs are doing.

We basically played with all the rules today and they seemed to understand how heat worked pretty well, or at least well enough to know to alternate doing a lot of actions between their mechs so they had a chance to cool off.

Progress!

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Excited these guys are finally done and I can get them out on the table

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Ordered some more mechs from a maker on Etsy (Defiance Industries) and I'm quite pleased with the quality of the resin prints. I neglected to order bases for these along with the mechs themselves so I had to cobble some together out of styrene plastic and putty. I started working on the two light mechs first, a Javelin and this one here:

I shall name it Fred.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Lovely!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Thank you! I was pretty impressed with the model, the resin prints have very crisp and clear details. I've got a Javelin and a Victor underway, and a Nightstar and Highlander yet to do (yeah I've got an assault mech bias, I admit it) and am looking forward to them a lot.

I might pick up a few more mediums and lights so I have a bigger pool to choose from, are there any must-have medium and light mechs that folks recommend?

So far I have:

Wolverine x2
Shadowhawk
Griffin

Commando
Javelin
Jenner
Locust

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Most 3D prints will be the Mechwarrior Online models.

I really like PGI's Spider and Phoenix Hawk; and if you're willing to branch into Clan 'Mechs their Vapor Eagle is pretty great.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

PoptartsNinja posted:

Most 3D prints will be the Mechwarrior Online models.

I really like PGI's Spider and Phoenix Hawk; and if you're willing to branch into Clan 'Mechs their Vapor Eagle is pretty great.

I don't know how many Clan mechs I want to really include in my merc outfit to be honest, but the Phoenix Hawk and Spider are probably good options to include. Probably a Wolfhound and a Hunchback too because who doesn't love an AC20 at 50 tons?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I like PGI's Hunchback better. The CGL one looks like a stack of barrels whereas the PGI looks like a sack of bricks.

Same with the Centurion, PGI gave it a scary looking claw and shield arm

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
PGI's centurion is an oversized fat ugly lump and the weird double thumbs thing they gave most of their 'Mechs never prints well.

The centurion is supposed to be unassuming, the only reason it's famous is because of Justin Allard and he chose it explicitly because it was a piece of poo poo.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Centurions kick rear end though. Way too many missiles fit on a cent.

(I kinda wish CGL had brought the shield arm over though.)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I have a feeling they're saving that for when we (probably inevitably) get a PGI official Yen Lo Wang.

They're going to need some more hero 'Mechs for their kickstarter this fall, and I'm honestly shocked we didn't get Yen Lo Wang in the first kickstarter.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

PoptartsNinja posted:

PGI's centurion is an oversized fat ugly lump and the weird double thumbs thing they gave most of their 'Mechs never prints well.

I'll give you the lovely printing thing. The model I printed had safety railings on the knees for some reason (OSHA overreach probably) and they snapped off instantly. Battle damage!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The centurion is supposed to be unassuming, the only reason it's famous is because of Justin Allard and he chose it explicitly because it was a piece of poo poo.

They also decided that it should be shaped like a capital T, rather than giving it a vertical profile to make it look heroic. It's the same mistake they made with the atlas.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PoptartsNinja posted:

I have a feeling they're saving that for when we (probably inevitably) get a PGI official Yen Lo Wang.

They're going to need some more hero 'Mechs for their kickstarter this fall, and I'm honestly shocked we didn't get Yen Lo Wang in the first kickstarter.

Didnt Lo Wang get a remake like 6 years ago?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
In the spot where I really quite like the pgi cent design but also feel like it's not properly lanky like a cent should be.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I painted the little trashcan that could

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
PGI's take on the Stalker is great though. It's like a big, threatening marital aid

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Endman posted:

love that little dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

Fallen Rib

Endman posted:

That looks great dude. The edge highlighting is an inspiration.