Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ImpAtom posted:

Wait to be clear here people are genuinely discussing the realism of the randomly appearing paraglider, one of the most commonly appearing new features in video games which always basically appears out of thin air?

Excuse you, Link clearly pulls his paraglider from behind his back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ImpAtom posted:

Wait to be clear here people are genuinely discussing the realism of the randomly appearing paraglider, one of the most commonly appearing new features in video games which always basically appears out of thin air?

I think it was just me.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

As long as there's cool custom skins my dumb rear end will buy it

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I'm discussing the realism of Jason Todd's iconic signature ability, the soul trampoline

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

It would be more believable if the glider is always thirty feet away but is somehow never visible unless Nightwing whistles.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I just loving bet that you get to play as Batman at one point (like in a flashback or we get revealed he's still alive. We all loving know that's what is gonna happen.

I hope they then make it so he fights with the standard arkham formula.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Give me Damian, cowards

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

bunnyofdoom posted:

I just loving bet that you get to play as Batman at one point (like in a flashback or we get revealed he's still alive. We all loving know that's what is gonna happen.

Bruce trained and with hard work and determination, he got over his death.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

And the villain will have been the Joker all along

This is the first Arkham game I have zero interest in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isn't the end of Arkham Knight Bruce faking his own death?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This isn't a sequel to that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, Gotham Knights where Batman is dead isn't actually taking place after the Arkham game where Batman seemingly died.

But Suicide Squad is somehow in that same universe.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Remember how Rocksteady were adamant that NO IT IS NOT JASON TODD YOU WILL SEE AND BE ASHAMED OF YOUR WORDS AND DEEDS

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Bonny Jock Lemon posted:

Give me Damian Cassandra, cowards

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Gimme Steph goddamit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, Gotham Knights where Batman is dead isn't actually taking place after the Arkham game where Batman seemingly died.

But Suicide Squad is somehow in that same universe.

Despite Deadshot being black now despite not being so in his other two appearances.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Despite Deadshot being black now despite not being so in his other two appearances.

He learned a thing or two from observing the Punisher.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Can't believe my PS4 really is getting sunset. I liked Arkham combat, but this looks clunky. And it's always weird seeing the other Bat-Children just kinda...letting Jason shoot a bunch of people.

Oh yeah, the thread reminded me PS4 Spider-Man had what felt like Arkham-adjacent combat. I wasn't a big fan of it.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 13, 2022

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

Can't believe my PS4 really is getting sunset. I liked Arkham combat, but this looks clunky. And it's always weird seeing the other Bat-Children just kinda...letting Jason shoot a bunch of people.

Oh yeah, the thread reminded me PS4 Spider-Man had what felt like Arkham-adjacent combat. I wasn't a big fan of it.

No see, Jason is using "Non-lethal" rounds as he shoots someone off a building.

Also lol at non-lethal armour piercing rounds.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They all the use same AR Bruce set up that tells him the dudes he rammed the Batmobile into are just sleeping

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I'm discussing the realism of Jason Todd's iconic signature ability, the soul trampoline

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

Can't believe my PS4 really is getting sunset. I liked Arkham combat, but this looks clunky.

Yeah, this is the first in the whole series where I really don't give a gently caress if I play it or not. I gladly gave Asylum, City, Origins and Knight a ton of hours of my time but nothing here is calling out to me at all. Certainly nothing that's gonna make me drop 500 bucks on a new system. If I need to scratch my Batman itch, I'll fire up one of the old games and do the bonus levels that I still don't think I ever finished.

I'll honestly be surprised if Batman isn't a "surprise" unlockable character if you get the good ending or something and a lame "he faked his death!" bullshit conclusion to the main story mode. Knowing how games are going though, they'll just put him inside a loot box and charge $5 per costume.

Pass.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If I had three friends I could coordinate stuff with, I wouldn't be at home playing batman videogames :colbert:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Opopanax posted:

If I had three friends

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll honestly be surprised if Batman isn't a "surprise" unlockable character if you get the good ending or something and a lame "he faked his death!" bullshit conclusion to the main story mode. Knowing how games are going though, they'll just put him inside a loot box and charge $5 per costume.

Pass.

I'd put pretty good odds on The Court of Owls have Batman chained up somewhere, and they are the ones who faked his death. Or, even worse, he's kidnapped and brainwashed into working for the CoO and the last fight is against drugged up Bruce. Or double worse, Batman faked his own death so he could infiltrate TCoO and he's working undercover as their biggest, baddest Talon. So of course, you never really beat him.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If Batman is in the game, you can be sure it will be spoiled and plastered everywhere a few days before the game is released.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It'll be like a trailer where there's a frame that has like "Batman (Bruce Wayne)" as an option to who you can equip the purple epic gear.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The messed up thing is 4 player games were once my jam. Me, my friend, one of his siblings, and his mom. We played everything we could touch. Gauntlet, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1 and 2, Castle Crashers, Rayman Legends, that mediocre Ratchet & Clank game, and on. But this doesn't look worth the time. And would probably require all 4 of us to buy the game because that's how things work these days. I'm not even 30 and I feel old. I miss sitting next to my friend playing video games.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Isn't it only 2 player anyway?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=116Vptosbg8

Marvel Hearthstone by the original Hearthstone people is a thing now, beta's started for people with Android phones

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
yeah i can't wait to see how they monetize that to poo poo with microtransactions and pay to win. Card based games are such loving grifts

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You don't have to wait, they'll be selling cards. That's how these all work.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, card games were the original lootboxes.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I'm finally getting around to playing Miles Morales and I can't shake the feeling that it's a lot worse than the first Insomniac Spider-Man game. There are a few smart changes to the combat present, in particular giving you some helpful tools right away that were buried deep in the upgrade tree in the first game. Everything else feels worse, though. The venom powers break the flow of combat really badly, and they're so deeply woven into the fights because they're your main crowd control moves now on top of being necessary to disarm certain enemies. A lot of the new enemies have attacks that are very poorly telegraphed, which is especially bad since the timing on the spidey-sense indicator has been changed, making it much less useful for executing perfect dodges. Invisibility should have been a neat addition, but it's really inconsistent as a tool for stealth even though stealth sections have been made a lot more complicated. The game is also buggy as all hell whereas the original game was pretty polished.

It really feels like the game was rushed out the door for the launch of the PS5. I hope Insomniac gets all the time they need for Spider-Man 2, because I really don't want them to put out another dud like this. :(

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Dang, I think the exact opposite and loved all the tweaks to combat. Felt like a far better take than the original that really let you tear into enemies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not sure I get the part about Venom powers breaking the flow of combat. Is that referring to the brief charge-up animations for them?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Lobok posted:

Not sure I get the part about Venom powers breaking the flow of combat. Is that referring to the brief charge-up animations for them?

Yes, the big punch and the dash especially. They don't really feel part of your combo strings as a result of the wind-up animation and the cinematic effects that go with them. They much more closely resemble finishing moves than they do regular attacks. I wouldn't mind if they were minor parts of the player's arsenal, but you have to use them pretty frequently during mid- and late-game encounters when more powerful enemies start to show up in greater numbers.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JordanKai posted:

Yes, the big punch and the dash especially. They don't really feel part of your combo strings as a result of the wind-up animation and the cinematic effects that go with them. They much more closely resemble finishing moves than they do regular attacks. I wouldn't mind if they were minor parts of the player's arsenal, but you have to use them pretty frequently during mid- and late-game encounters when more powerful enemies start to show up in greater numbers.

I think they wanted the Venom moves to do double duty as quasi-Finishers considering the actual Finishers are much less accessible/plentiful than they were in the first game. I don't mind the charge-up but I wish there was an option to turn off the cinematic camera. I like controlling the view myself and both the Venom moves and Finishers reorient the way the game wants. People wonder a lot in my vids why I don't use more Finishers and one of the reasons is being forced into that view. It is better than the first game on PS4 because depending on your positions the angle does have some variety to it but not a ton.

Surprised you say it has less flow than the 1st game though. Even with the delay of the Venom moves, most of the variety of stuff you can do in the 1st game is tied to gadgets and so if you want to switch gadgets a bunch you're getting this halting, big ol' weapon wheel in your face each time.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Lobok posted:

Surprised you say it has less flow than the 1st game though. Even with the delay of the Venom moves, most of the variety of stuff you can do in the 1st game is tied to gadgets and so if you want to switch gadgets a bunch you're getting this halting, big ol' weapon wheel in your face each time.

Gadgets didn't really break the flow for me in the first game because I almost never used them. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

JordanKai posted:

Gadgets didn't really break the flow for me in the first game because I almost never used them. :negative:

I think that's pretty common. There are a few reasons why Miles has fewer gadgets than Peter but I wonder if Insomniac knows about how players use/don't use gadgets when they started working on Peter's combat for the sequel. I'd love if gadgets were more accessible. If it hadn't been for Peter's suit arms being in the trailer I would have said that they could use similar controls for Miles' Venom powers (L1 plus a button) but I'm guessing the arms will be his version of Venom powers. Though there's also the question of how a symbiote might play a part.