Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I also wonder if they had a plan if everyone just said they felt safe and didn't want to compete in the immunity challenge...

I was curious about this! Or even if just one person had wanted to compete. It's actually a more interesting prisoner's dilemma type situation than their shipwheel "protect your vote" gimmick because there's a chance they could have completely nullified the do or die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Everyone tells Omar everything and then he burns them :lol:

yeah Omar owns

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
They aren't put into sequester once they're voted out. Spilling secrets like Drea did might affect elimination order, but pretty much everyone left in the game was going to hear about it once they got to Ponderosa. People have won and lost the game specifically because of what people talked about once they were voted out. Realizing that Omar has duped everyone in the game could get him the crown, or just Miss Congeniality. It's just another element of how the game is played.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Romeo is going to become a bigger goat than Xander, somehow.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The Do or Die player surviving and the Knowledge is Power getting outplayed on both concurrent seasons with the odds in the twist’s favour is hilarious. I’ve seen enough.

Drea getting voted out made me realize she was my favourite player. The juxtaposition between her ‘horror movie’ player persona to the person immediately after getting voted out gave me whiplash.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shneak posted:

Drea getting voted out made me realize she was my favourite player. The juxtaposition between her ‘horror movie’ player persona to the person immediately after getting voted out gave me whiplash.

I can totally understand being a completely different person because you're in game mode like she was.

Anyway I just want to parrot how much do or die is dumb.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Antiquated Pants posted:

As for Drea, I think she crossed the line with calling out Omar. It's not uncommon for players to call out someone to "win" like she did with Mike, it's petty to put a target on them but everyone is generally aware of how other players are doing and calling out a winner is total hearsay. Calling out Omar as being the only one to know her secret and screw her over after the votes are cast is full-on game play while she's out. That was technically a really smart move by Omar, while Drea made a huge misstep by telling someone about her advantage (never tell anyone about your advantage!).

She's not out till the torch is snuffed, she's right to be playing and to mess with the scales. Omar took a secret and backstabbed her with it even though she has a chance to retaliate. Omar isn't a dumb player by any means so I would expect he had at least considered that possibility before making his choice. If he didn't, then he deserves the little sting.

I do agree that the jury reaction stuff is a bit questionable sometimes, but at the same time to win the game you gotta win the popularity contest. Give humans a voting system and a set of arbitrary criteria or framework they are meant to base their votes on, they will always vote with their guts on who they like most in the moment. Aside from removing the jury or forcing them to try and be as neutral as possible, which is bad tv, not sure how you could avoid the issue of jury-pandering or reading, except that sometimes pandering sometimes backfires.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I don't think there is anyway for Jeff to rig the game. It's an honest Monty Hall game that went the players way both seasons, despite the not optimal strategy. There's not going to be a way for Jeff to swap the box a Survivor picked without it being completely obvious to the players or jury.

I don't think he rigged the game, but I trust that if he wanted to, production team would be able to figure out some trick boxes with a little hidden button to push to switch the revealed symbol.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 12, 2022

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rankings time!

Omar

Lindsey
Mike

Maryanne
Jonathan

Romeo

Not really anything different other than Lindsey continuing to move up. One thing I worry about with Omar is if he gets burned for being kind of a snake and betraying people's trust after what Drea said but I still think he should win against anyone else. Mike and Lindsey were hard to rank but I am going off my gut that people will respect her gameplay a little more than his social game.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

garthoneeye posted:

I can’t think of a way to rig it for the player without some sort of magic trick style each box has a fire and skull.
I can think of a way to rig it against the contestant; Jeff just has to not offer the swap if they don’t choose correctly, but that just makes the odds worse it doesn’t guarantee they go out. I agree that it’s an honest Monty Hall, but there is room for fuckery.

I was thinking a magician-style prop box that has both options for Jeff to choose from. It would give production more control over the game, and the whole situation just felt too perfectly dramatic. I often have a hard time believing the "reality" of Survivor, though I realize it's edited to be as dramatic as possible as well. Survivor has done some players real dirty with random tricks before, but Do or Die just seems a step further in the BS direction.

Khanstant posted:

She's not out till the torch is snuffed, she's right to be playing and to mess with the scales. Omar took a secret and backstabbed her with it even though she has a chance to retaliate. Omar isn't a dumb player by any means so I would expect he had at least considered that possibility before making his choice. If he didn't, then he deserves the little sting.

I do agree that the jury reaction stuff is a bit questionable sometimes, but at the same time to win the game you gotta win the popularity contest. Give humans a voting system and a set of arbitrary criteria or framework they are meant to base their votes on, they will always vote with their guts on who they like most in the moment. Aside from removing the jury or forcing them to try and be as neutral as possible, which is bad tv, not sure how you could avoid the issue of jury-pandering or reading, except that sometimes pandering sometimes backfires.

I don't think he rigged the game, but I trust that if he wanted to, production team would be able to figure out some trick boxes with a little hidden button to push to switch the revealed symbol.
[/quote]

I just reviewed previous eps, and he hasn't said it this season... but I've just been powering through all the old seasons (thanks Paramount+) and every single episode Jeff says "once the votes are read, the decision is final. The tribe member with the most votes is out and must immediately leaved the tribal area."

Sure most people grumble, or shoot some angry shots, try to paint a bigger target on another players back for revenge and that's usually petty but whatever. I haven't seen someone yet call out a specific move after the fact like that before (not to mention just a long convoluted exit over all, which was kinda weird). If this really blows up Omar's game, I wouldn't be surprised if we see fewer reactions moving forward as production puts a limit to that. I could see Omar making a pretty big stink about it behind the scenes. I'm mostly curious what Omar will say about it... if nothing then I guess it really doesn't matter!

Khanstant posted:

I was thinking that originally, but there's so many super-easy manipulation techniques to get people to pick the box you want anyways it really isn't necessary. Especially when they are tired, starving, and at their wit's end.

Edit: I'm just mad Drea is out! I loved watching her think. She definitely said too much about observation in this tribal meeting though :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

if they wanted to rig the game they can just have production tell her before tribal that Jeff will give her a sign for which box is the right one, something as simple as where he rests his hands or if he taps his fingers, and just cut the edit to not show anything. It doesn't need to involve gadgets and trick lids or hidden compartments in the boxes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

You could rig the first half of the game easily enough by just marking the boxes. That guarantees that no matter what box is picked Jeff can open a skull first and offer the dramatic 50/50 swap.

I guess you could pull any degree of magician tricks to suggest the right box at that point. Or just outright tell the survivor what the signal is. But that’s seems a level beyond into full blown fake show and I don’t think that’s what this is at all. I could buy the first part because it guarantees we always have the drama of the second choice. After that a coin flip has just turned up heads twice. Not that big a deal.

I did enjoy Hai saying “always swap” and being wrong just because Im petty and like it when smug statistical rules I don’t understand don’t work out.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
Yeah honestly I’d buy it if there’s some Lindsay confessional where a producer is like “are you worried about the do or die tonight? you’ve succeeded in this game by going straight down the middle and never wavering so far…”

They’re certainly not above putting their thumb on the scale when it makes for better TV. honestly I don’t even know how you’d edit an episode where somebody does go home because of that. All the scheming and vote planning is just fluff in that case

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Honestly if they were going to rig something, Shot in the Dark seems like a better option. They're gonna be pissed if it doesn't work at all for two whole seasons after they introduce it

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My general philosophy on this stuff is they don't outright rig anything because that's too dependent on co-conspirators being able to play their parts and then keeping their mouths shut about it so the whole thing doesn't get exposed and turn the show into a joke. But I also think they have no problem weighting the scale. Like I said its easy enough to rig the first half of the game and setup the 50/50 scenario. After that MAYBE you hint at the right box and up the odds of the Survivor winning. Tons of subliminal cues you could do. Jeff said "You said you had a gut feeling and a fallback" and Lindsey said the fallback was the skull so maybe that was a deliberate clue to imply to her to follow her gut. But if they pick the wrong box anyway I imagine they'd just go with it because its the kind of "anything can happen" thing they love and creates more room for game chaos.

Just like I don't think they tell them secrets in confessionals or anything but they probably have a blanket "do you trust your allies?" question that seems suspicious when their ally is betraying them. And if they want to tip off the player they can always press that line of questioning and try and get it into their head. But I doubt they ever say "X is gonna betray you."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 12, 2022

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SweetJahasus posted:

I could not disagree more. Saying stuff about everyone on your way out is selfish and in a game like this it's bad sportsmanship. If you were still in the game and you voted someone out you wouldn't want every person there spilling your poo poo and trying to ruin your game.

If you had one enemy or someone who had been bullying or targeting you all game, sure try to blow up their spot but don't throw some poo poo on everyone because even nice things come with repercussions.
I subscribe to Shannon Guss's "trap door" cause, which is that as soon as the last vote is read, a trap door should open under the eliminated player causing them to immediately exit the game. They can't reveal who has an idol, who betrayed them, who they're going to vote for because they're out of the game. Physically.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I don’t count Jeff knowing which box has the flame as rigging at all. That’s fundamental to the premise of the setup. If Jeff doesn’t know which box holds the flame the probabilities don’t change and it’s much less interesting.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

garthoneeye posted:

I don’t count Jeff knowing which box has the flame as rigging at all. That’s fundamental to the premise of the setup. If Jeff doesn’t know which box holds the flame the probabilities don’t change and it’s much less interesting.

yeah if the host doesn't know the answers it's way less fun

It would be hilarious to see someone die inside if he revealed the flame though

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I lost track of advantages. Was Drea's "steal the idol" her shared advantage with Lindsey or a separate one? Did Lindsey just maneuver herself an idol?

I think we're sleeping on her a little. It seemed like she suggested that Mike move to Omar. She's been in a power position this whole game and kept her hands clean. It might be too under the radar, especially if Omar is there at the end, but I think she's played a very good game.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Separate -- the shared advantage was a steal-the-vote when there were just two, and now that Lindsay's the last woman standing it's an immunity idol, I think.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

I lost track of advantages. Was Drea's "steal the idol" her shared advantage with Lindsey or a separate one? Did Lindsey just maneuver herself an idol?

I think we're sleeping on her a little. It seemed like she suggested that Mike move to Omar. She's been in a power position this whole game and kept her hands clean. It might be too under the radar, especially if Omar is there at the end, but I think she's played a very good game.

Knowledge is Power (steal an idol) was something she won in a risk your vote thing earlier iirc. But yes Lindsey now has an amulet that is an idol because it's the last one left.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

garthoneeye posted:

I actually think her callout of Omar was one of the less damaging things. Mike and Lindsey know Omar was the one who blabbed; I don’t think either of them would keep it secret from the rest of the tribe how they knew if she didn’t.
Agreed. He betrayed her but everyone else was voting her so they're probably more like "Thanks Omar" than they are recalculating his danger level. Like yeah it ups his threat level a bit but what she said to Mike hurts him more, and then you've still got Lindsay wanting to target Jonathan so Omar likely has a few people ahead of him on the hitlist.

quote:

I don’t particularly care for the jury reacting to/commenting on stuff at Tribal Council because I think it adds to much potential for reading and playing to the jury when I think those relationships should depend more on how you treated jurors while they were still in the game. However, my favorite jury moment ever is Eliza’s reaction to Ozzy being voted out.
I watched 1 season of South African Survivor and the jury was getting so demonstrably frustrated that I'm convinced their reactions are the only reason a power player got taken out. I totally agree with you, let them hate you quietly, but not loudly, on the jury, and not on the way out.

Drea's exit was no real big deal but I don't like how it was basically celebrated.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its kind of the vibe of this cast. They generally seem like they're having fun so like Hai and Drea could have gone out very mad but instead just kind of choose to enjoy it.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

IcePhoenix posted:

Knowledge is Power (steal an idol) was something she won in a risk your vote thing earlier iirc. But yes Lindsey now has an amulet that is an idol because it's the last one left.
I think it might have been under the sitout bench and the extra vote she shot at Mike was from the shipwheel game.

In any case, Omar told Lindsay about how Mike was boned due to Drea's advantage and Lindsay suggested saving Mike instead. Her idea and yep they both got idols out of it with her amulet maturing and Omar physically holding Mike's idol. Although I'm not sure it's worth it for Omar to keep that idol. Omar also knew about Lindsay's amulet and let her turn that into an idol. Interesting choices to think about.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Final five is gonna be hilarious with one immune person and three people with idols.

If the fifth person plays their shot and wins what happens when everyone is immune

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IcePhoenix posted:

Final five is gonna be hilarious with one immune person and three people with idols.

Somehow that seems like the perfect ending for Romeo.

IcePhoenix posted:

If the fifth person plays their shot and wins what happens when everyone is immune
But i am of course pulling for that.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

IcePhoenix posted:

I think I heard that the three way "shared" idol Lindsay has actually expires at 6, not 5. The other two are at 5 though. So not super disastrous.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

STAC Goat posted:

You could rig the first half of the game easily enough by just marking the boxes. That guarantees that no matter what box is picked Jeff can open a skull first and offer the dramatic 50/50 swap.

Well that is a fundamental step to the Monty Hall game that they are playing. So there is a 100% chance Jeff knows which box has the flame, it's part of the game of chance they are playing. Jeff / the host will always open the box (or door) that doesn't have the prize.

I also don't think the game would be actually rigged in favor of a castaway, as it would be much more publicity and drama for the show to have someone get kicked off the game that way... and they love drama. It's why they won't make any attempts to stop players from burning bridges on their way out after being voted off.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I think Jeff is probably mad that none of his gimmicks are working but also can’t help but give away the flame box with his erection at the possibility of his gimmick working

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nexous posted:

I think Jeff is probably mad that none of his gimmicks are working but also can’t help but give away the flame box with his erection at the possibility of his gimmick working

And to think that he initially had much more extravagant gimmicks planned for these seasons, but Mike White talked him out of it.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Is this the first season he has had little mini-intros for challenges/gimmicks and compared them to the previous year. He has such glee when talking about how much it's going to blow the players' minds. It's kinda weird, and kinda amusing that he is just so drat into his tricks.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Antiquated Pants posted:

Is this the first season he has had little mini-intros for challenges/gimmicks and compared them to the previous year. He has such glee when talking about how much it's going to blow the players' minds. It's kinda weird, and kinda amusing that he is just so drat into his tricks.

I think he had even more intros last season compared to this season.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Nihonniboku posted:

I think he had even more intros last season compared to this season.

Ah, I'm only on season 34 of my re-watch and last season has pretty much been lost to memory for me at this point.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

did everyone in this thread suffer a concussion or something

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/erika_cas/status/1524540878467043330

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

did everyone in this thread suffer a concussion or something

I for one am glad to see that most people in the thread have as lovely of a memory of previous seasons as I do. Usually people have encyclopedic knowledge of boot order of every prior season and I'm sitting there like, "how do you remember this poo poo?"

Like I still don't even know who the gently caress is Kelly.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Kelly was great

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Once you’re voted out, you should be treated like any other member of the jury and you shouldn’t be able to burn poo poo down on your way out. It just ruins the integrity of the game a bit for me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Not making people mad when you vote them out is literally the game of Survivor IMHO. If you gently caress it up so badly that somebody tries to take you down with them, that's on you. Anything else is just an excuse for a gameplay error.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Great episode but the funniest part by far was Romeo's early ep camera talk where he said "I'm playing this game super chill, under the radar."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Raxivace posted:

Not making people mad when you vote them out is literally the game of Survivor IMHO. If you gently caress it up so badly that somebody tries to take you down with them, that's on you. Anything else is just an excuse for a gameplay error.

I don’t have a problem with jurors talking to other jurors and convincing them to not to vote for players. I don’t have a problem with people dumping info while the votes are read if you can tell it’s going against you by the number of off votes you have.
I think jurors shouldn’t be able to directly communicate with live players just like live players shouldn’t be able to talk directly to the jury. Once Jeff says that’s enough you’re a juror in my opinion.