Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I want the highway DLC where it automatically makes them side by side so you don't have to fiddle with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

These big grain silos are nice, and functional.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1702846864&searchtext=grain+silo
This one could easily form the basis of a huge repetitive mega-complex.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1735021493&searchtext=grain+silo

And Parallel Road Tool is great for highways or any other mix of networks you want to draw parallel
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1440928803

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Scratch the parallel road tool and go straight to the network multitool. It’s feature-complete and the guy got hired by Colossal Order for it (and IMT, and NCR, basically one modder providing three DLC’s worth of gameplay content).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I need to play with the new multitool more!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Question:
I tried to load the Map Editor for the first time I can remember, and it loads forever and then eventually crashes with an Oops the game crashed error message.
Loading a new game or a save works just fine, but for some reason the map editor crashes out on me just trying to load a blank new map.
I noticed it didn't have the Loading Screen Mod screen while loading.
Is there some trick to getting the map editor to run? Do I have to disable all my assets? Surely it shouldn't be trying to load those anyways right?

Baronjutter posted:

I need to play with the new multitool more!

There's a good tutorial here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrESkHbshDs

I can't imagine trying to build custom interchanges without the "create loop" tool

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Entropic posted:

Question:
I tried to load the Map Editor for the first time I can remember, and it loads forever and then eventually crashes with an Oops the game crashed error message.
Loading a new game or a save works just fine, but for some reason the map editor crashes out on me just trying to load a blank new map.
I noticed it didn't have the Loading Screen Mod screen while loading.
Is there some trick to getting the map editor to run? Do I have to disable all my assets? Surely it shouldn't be trying to load those anyways right?

There's a good tutorial here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrESkHbshDs

I can't imagine trying to build custom interchanges without the "create loop" tool

You do, in fact, need to turn off everything you're not planning to use (including basically every mod) to load any of the asset editors.

Definitely use the LoadOrderTool mod, as you can tell it to only include and activate specific things, then revert to a saved load order for normal gameplay.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Adding pedestrian bridges helped.

But turn off despawning and the left turn lane is still backed up for half a mile.

Here's the culprit: despite two left turn lanes feeding into a three-lane road, every single vehicle is trying to keep left and then weave into the correct lane for its destination after the light.

What's causing this behavior and what can I do about it?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

C:S has awful traffic ai

The solution is TM:PE

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

So I'm playing vanilla and my city isn't at the point of failure yet but I can tell that it's about to seize up and die, the first symptoms - like corpses sometimes taking too long to get removed despite more than ample coverage - are starting to crop up. I don't think I can save the city, so I have two questions:

Can someone recommend me some good maps to start over with? The ones that come with the game seem kinda boring, but the workshop is overwhelming.

And how do I prevent the city from going into rigor mortis at mid-size? Much of the game makes a lot of sense to me, but the traffic feels almost unmanageable, and that makes the entire game unmanageable.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

aniviron posted:

So I'm playing vanilla and my city isn't at the point of failure yet but I can tell that it's about to seize up and die, the first symptoms - like corpses sometimes taking too long to get removed despite more than ample coverage - are starting to crop up. I don't think I can save the city, so I have two questions:

Can someone recommend me some good maps to start over with? The ones that come with the game seem kinda boring, but the workshop is overwhelming.

And how do I prevent the city from going into rigor mortis at mid-size? Much of the game makes a lot of sense to me, but the traffic feels almost unmanageable, and that makes the entire game unmanageable.

The single biggest thing for me has been the concept of "lane mathematics." Even without TM:PE to sort things out, the idea that a 3 lane highway going into an off ramp should continue as a 2 lane highway until the on ramp where it becomes 3 again helps. Also keep in mind the Arterial-Collector-Local road hierarchy and think about how things like delivery trucks are going to behave. One situation you want to prevent is delivery trucks making left turns into their stops on two-way streets.

Biffa and CityPlannerPlays have good videos, and Biffa's city fix videos especially can help with traffic management concepts.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

lament.cfg posted:

C:S has awful traffic ai

The solution is TM:PE

Everything about that intersection is tmpe'd and they still won't get in the correct turn lane.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Arglebargle III posted:

Everything about that intersection is tmpe'd and they still won't get in the correct turn lane.

Use the lane tools to disallow the switch they’re doing until a node or two before the turn

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Warmachine posted:

Biffa and CityPlannerPlays have good videos, and Biffa's city fix videos especially can help with traffic management concepts.

CPP is good. I usually hate video LPs but I have watched uh... all of his videos.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
When a cim gets a job, do they hold that job until they retire/die/the building is removed or changes in some way?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Gamerofthegame posted:

I want the highway DLC where it automatically makes them side by side so you don't have to fiddle with it.

I'd pay double for a loving interchanges DLC on console so I don't have to build them all the same time

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Been recently binging CPP videos lately.... Pipes under the road where they belong, don't let perfect be the enemy of good ...

I'm on PC I should probably download some interchanges, I got stuck thinking I need to build them 100% of the time. Honestly surprised an interchange DLC of sorts didn't happen, to be honest.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
Building interchanges isn’t bad if you use fine road anarchy and the network editing mod. Lay down all your roads on the ground in bridge mode using anarchy so you can build with collision, and then edit the heights so you get those nice swoopy flyovers

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I’m tempted to make a CPP stream bingo card.

-perfect is the enemy of the good
-pipes go under roads
-respect the topography
-oops we should have pre-graded
-something burned down while we weren’t looking
-10 mins spent landscaping a parking lot
-accidentally left collision off
-accidentally left node snapping off

Free square in the middle obviously just says MULLIGAN

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

- easily avoidable problems caused by building with dirt roads then upgrading instead of just using the correct road to begin with

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Pipes? gently caress that, I need those nodes.

I use a "no pipes" mod.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I don't give a poo poo what's going on underground, and water pipes/power lines have no interesting gameplay options to deal with.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I don't give a poo poo what's going on underground, and water pipes/power lines have no interesting gameplay options to deal with.

I can see the appeal of using custom assets for big pylon transmission lines going for a realistic look, but yeah I turned on the “no pipes required” mod years ago and never lost led back.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Entropic posted:

I can see the appeal of using custom assets for big pylon transmission lines going for a realistic look, but yeah I turned on the “no pipes required” mod years ago and never lost led back.

Right, power lines for visual interest are one thing. But the gameplay implementation of them is pointless since there aren't any choices, you can't just not have power. And it causes issues when you want to have an isolated building that requires power. I got a mod for underground power lines to deal with that, it'd be easier if power/water just came as part of roads though. Lines as an option if you want the look.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yea a checkbox for Water, Sewer, Electricity (Above Grade), and Electricity (Below Grade) with associated cost differences would be nice. Fiber, phone, and natural gas would be cool too, but none of that are in game functions.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Right, power lines for visual interest are one thing. But the gameplay implementation of them is pointless since there aren't any choices, you can't just not have power. And it causes issues when you want to have an isolated building that requires power. I got a mod for underground power lines to deal with that, it'd be easier if power/water just came as part of roads though. Lines as an option if you want the look.

My beef with power lines is that the only thing they have is the overland transmission towers. They don't actually render any other kinds of power infrastructure like street-level overhead lines or substations or what have you. So you just have these long distance transmission towers running between two clumps and unceremoniously terminating at the edge of a district's abstracted "power zone."

It's pretty much the worst of all worlds. Water pipes are more interesting, since you can at least put them under roads (where they belong :geno: ).

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Having pipes and power lines have options and trade offs would be nice. I don't feel like the way it is now adds anything, but I feel like having roads do all of the heavy lifting to be even more boring.

I don't know what would be more interesting that isn't just adding needless tedium. A split between transmission and distribution would be nice (I think factorio did this???). Pipes being underground would be more interesting if there was a need for access for maintenance. Or something going wrong when you lower the budget too far?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

*coughs workers and resources-ish-ly*

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Jyrraeth posted:

Been recently binging CPP videos lately.... Pipes under the road where they belong, don't let perfect be the enemy of good ...

I'm on PC I should probably download some interchanges, I got stuck thinking I need to build them 100% of the time. Honestly surprised an interchange DLC of sorts didn't happen, to be honest.

I enjoy his LPs as well (especially the Tutoria series), my partner and I will have them on in the background of an evening if we don't have anything else to watch on various streaming services.

I also got her into donoteat01's series, which I dubbed "Communist Planner Plays".

Speaking of which, I've got a couple books on Soviet urbanism/city planning on my Amazon wishlist after watching Chernobyl a few months ago. Towering apartment blocks in a city of ~60k? Tell me more.

I know, the secret ingredient is totalitarianism.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Water pumps and pipes were introduced in SimCity 2000, when Maxis still thought of SimCity as part game and part educational tool--they were trying to introduce players to the concept that water isn't magic, it's something some people somewhere have to think about and meticulously plan for. But as a gameplay mechanic in a city building game it was stupid then and it's phenomenally stupid now that it's still there.

But it's not one-tenth as pants-on-head stupid of a game mechanic as deathcare.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

at least the SimCity water grid mainly took care of itself, you'd build a pump and you'd connect it to your city and the city would handle distribution to any adjacent construction instead of you needing to run a little water main under every loving block. Skylines has the worst of all worlds where it constantly forces you to engage with the mechanic, but there's absolutely no problem-solving or personality to it.

It's a game mainly about traffic management, I refuse to believe plumbing is innately too boring a subject for it. But if it's gonna be a thing people have to deal with for whatever reason you gotta have some actual meat there where you need to balance getting new areas serviced against existing landowners who'll flip their poo poo if you dig up their property to put in a new water main, or there's some whole process for water treatment to make it sustainable you gotta keep balanced, or a giant evil fatberg starts rampaging beneath downtown I don't fuckin know

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 16, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I wish that were true but it isn't, power was conveyed by zones starting with SC3000, but in 2000, 3000, and 4 you had to run all the water mains yourself. It's always been pointless busywork. Skylines is an improvement insofar as it lets you mod the busywork away, at least.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
Water pipes are fine, though uninteresting. The really annoying bit is power, because when you zone an area you can lay the water pipes right away, but you have to wait for all the buildings to spawn before you can hook up the power poles.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

In SC4 I just run all my pipes as soon as I can afford it in a big rectangular layout that waters every tile as efficiently as possible then never look at them again. Some of that is because when you have 9,000 plugins installed, swapping from surface to underground mode takes a while and can crash the game sometimes so it's best to do it as little as possible.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Water pipes in SC2000 were pretty pointless however. Since buildings transferred water through their own pipes all you needed to supply the whole city was a lot of one tile main pipes underneath roads and other obstacles. Just like the power lines.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Picking this game back up for the first time in a year or so. I bought the Airports DLC on console. I haven't done much with it yet.

When do you feel is approximately the best time to add the airport to your city? Not necessarily when it unlocks, but the point where you as a player decide to build it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Picking this game back up for the first time in a year or so. I bought the Airports DLC on console. I haven't done much with it yet.

When do you feel is approximately the best time to add the airport to your city? Not necessarily when it unlocks, but the point where you as a player decide to build it.

Of course the answer to this draws from real life. A few options exist. You have a small regional/municipal airport that grows as the city does, you have to build up an artificial island, or just eminent domain a shitload of farmland on the outskirts of the city, typically away from large populations but relatively close to a beltway for capacity and access to the city. Airports take huge amounts of planning and resources, I find myself never adding them because I prefer something I can micromanage better like trains or cars. But occasionally I'll plop one in and its usually when my city is healthy but has largely stalled in growth.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 17, 2022

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i think if grades and stuff actually mattered for water and power (like in real life) it would be more interesting. also you would have a reason to have water towers to supply water for people up in the heights. needing pumping stations, transformers and poo poo would be more interesting

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I think traffic honestly kills the game for me in a lot of ways. Especially since I'm making highways and expecting all the lanes to be used for speed. But also I don't know what I'm doing and am cursed with the knowledge of American traffic design and I'm sure that doesn't help either.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i think if grades and stuff actually mattered for water and power (like in real life) it would be more interesting. also you would have a reason to have water towers to supply water for people up in the heights. needing pumping stations, transformers and poo poo would be more interesting

"I just want to put in this library? Why am I calculating head and piping losses?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
In terms of game design, it seems like everyone has a collection of things they really want to nerd out over, and others they want to ignore. The game should accommodate that by allowing the player to select the level of detail they want in each specific system.