Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
if you're ever feeling down, just reflect on the big picture. we're right at the cusp of culminating a project that started 1.5 million years ago. how cool is that?

The largest mammals have always been at the greatest risk of extinction – this is still the case today

quote:

We see a steep decline in the average mass of mammals over time. Over the last 1.5 million years, the mean mass of hunted mammals decreased by more than 98%.

1.5 million years ago, our Homoerectus ancestors were roaming the earth with mammals that weighed several tonnes. There were the ‘straight-tusked elephants’ (which weighed between 11 and 15 tonnes), the Southern Mammoth, and incredibly large hippos. Species-by-species, these majestic animals began to disappear. The evidence points toward one main culprit: humans.

The small (our ancestors weighed around 60 kilograms), but big-brained, hominids hunted them to extinction.

quote:

As we see from the study in the Levantine, until around 20,000 years ago, most mammals were bigger than humans. But since then, the majority have been smaller. This overhunting of large mammals might have been the catalyst for our ancestors to engineer fine and intricate tools. Once we had run out of big animals to eat, we had to engineer tools to catch the smaller ones. 12,000 years ago the average mass of mammals was around 30 kilograms. Around half a human. This is around the time that farming began. The wipeout of the largest mammals is a global phenomenon that we see across many regions.

Indeed we find it so consistently that one way to estimate the dates at which humans first arrived on different continents is to track the timings of mammal extinctions. This period during which humans arrived in different world regions, and large mammals went extinct across the world’s continents is called the ‘Quaternary Megafauna Extinction’. Hundreds of the world’s largest mammals were driven to extinction.

and the pace of extinctions is increasing every day!

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yes the human race is going to go extinct and yes the permafrost is exploding and yes we’re speedrunning turning earth back into a lifeless rock, but have you considered these exciting opportunities to volunteer in your community?

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

some plague rats posted:

This is just unimaginably sad. It's self-fulfilling prophecy

ok. now that you’ve had your look you can go away now.

Jesus, this must be what it’s like to be set upon by missionaries…

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Mola Yam posted:

yes we destroyed the planet, but for a beautiful moment in time we slurped some apes

our civilization really perfected grifting.

how will people in 1000 years explain ape slurping to each other?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Justin Credible posted:

The questions I asked weren't hypothetical. They are questions getting asked more frequently, even from the X'er generation, much less the new ones coming down the pipe.

Thankfully my remaining surviving parent actually cares enough about me to try and understand where I'm coming from, and in return I try to understand why she made the decisions that she did, and where she is now in the remaining years of her life. It's too much for her to really look at how it is, and just wants to try and live out her remaining days with as much peace as possible. Totally understand that and I don't want her to suffer any more than she has under this inhuman system she was also born into.

I couldn't imagine the cruelty possible in a human, much less a parent if they told you, 'I reject your lived reality, and actually gently caress you for even making me look at the life I brought into this world in any kind of critical manner'. It's loving sick.

You know what, I agree. Your mom did make a mistake having you

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Justin Credible posted:

I also think any child currently here should be loved and cared for as much as possible, but apparently even suggesting hey maybe we chill somewhat on the pace of this new human life thing makes me a serial killer. Very healthy way to look at other human beings.

Best part is that it's an increasingly mainstream viewpoint given the cratering birthrate for younger people. But no, we're the fringe loons because some low self-esteem breeders are getting nervous

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

some plague rats posted:

Telling me to kill myself would be more direct.

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

some plague rats posted:

listen i know it's a lot to take in, but there's no need to be so defensive. just engage with the content at your own pace. we're all here to celebrate the anthropocene together

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Hubbert posted:

guys can you stop jumping for the bait

drama is temporary

collapse is eternal

it’s a slow news day :hurr:

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

how many individual plastic bags do you think you've been given in your life? Imagine them all in one big quilt

I misread this as plastic bugs, and was thinking that you were refering to things like these

the answer is far too many, btw. I've been given far too many plastic bugs

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I misread this as plastic bugs, and was thinking that you were refering to things like these

the answer is far too many, btw. I've been given far too many plastic bugs

get some plastic soldiers and make a battle diorama

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
hosed around and found out

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

some plague rats posted:

this was never really about the ethics of the biosphere collapse thread, was it?

Wakko posted:

if you're ever feeling down, just reflect on the big picture. we're right at the cusp of culminating a project that started 1.5 million years ago. how cool is that?

The largest mammals have always been at the greatest risk of extinction – this is still the case today

and the pace of extinctions is increasing every day!

:synpa:

awesome snipe thank you

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
climate change will kill me and everyone or everything i have ever known or loved but at least i wont die a liberal

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

some plague rats posted:

Yeah you absolutely are. Do you even write the stuff you write. It's absolutely deranged. You sound like francis dolarhyde

is there any climate situation where you would call having a child an act of harm

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

some plague rats posted:

This is just unimaginably sad. It's self-fulfilling prophecy

If we just work on our tone we still might Beat Capitalism.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Trabisnikof posted:

Goons: ahhhh PFAS chemicals are everywhere and killing the children!!!

Also Goons: what? You’re going to pump PFAS thousands of feet below ground noooooo don’t do that.

Like be realistic, is there a better place to store all those PFAS chemicals? Works for nuclear waste after all.

(Oh right I forgot this thread is also all scared of ~^*Atomz*^~ l’sigh)

syq

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i'm gonna march right up to that fossil fuel executive and tell him "cut it out!"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

some plague rats posted:

*rubs hands together* ooh hoo hoo now we're getting somewhere. let's make this a may to remember

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hubbert posted:

this was never really about the ethics of the biosphere collapse thread, was it?

awesome snipe thank you

Trying to engage fairly got me nothing but the most dog-brained nonsense so now I'm just shitposting

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

stunning! i remember the early climate threads babbling about how wealthy first-worlders would never get to experience the impacts of climate change in our lifetimes. who could see this kind of content and not be thankful with each new day?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I think the problem, rats, is we are 500 pages into the biosphere collapse thread. All of your revelations are old here.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how are a few of the homes on the edge not damaged at all

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

actionjackson posted:

how are a few of the homes on the edge not damaged at all

god loves them

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

some plague rats posted:

spr this conversation's getting kinda mean spirited, any chance we could lower the temperature in here tonight?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

vyelkin posted:

spr this conversation's getting kinda mean spirited, any chance we could lower the temperature in here tonight?

unfortunately climate change prevents this from occurring

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hubbert posted:

unfortunately climate change prevents this from occurring

even in a superheated climate we can still have the occasional cool and chill evening ❄

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

why would telling someone they should never have been born be more mean-spirited than saying someone's deranged like francis dolarhyde?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

vyelkin posted:

even in a superheated climate we can still have the occasional cool and chill evening ❄

born on a mountain, raised in a cave, grillin and chillin is all that i crave

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Colin Mockery posted:

why would telling someone they should never have been born be more mean-spirited than saying someone's deranged like francis dolarhyde?

the only francis I know is from Malcolm in the Middle and I intend to keep it that way

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i'm gonna march right up to that fossil fuel executive and tell him "cut it out!"

unthinkable levels of violence

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

some good news!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

vyelkin posted:

tell me you haven't read The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Working Group II Sixth Assessment Report Summary for Policymakers without telling me you haven't read The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Working Group II Sixth Assessment Report Summary for Policymakers

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 days!)

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Fly Molo posted:

yes the human race is going to go extinct and yes the permafrost is exploding and yes we’re speedrunning turning earth back into a lifeless rock, but have you considered these exciting opportunities to volunteer in your community?

I think people should still volunteer to help children. if you really believe that it's them who get the short end of the stick, wouldn't it make sense to invest time and empathy into improving their lives? For a couple of hours a week, you could absolutely make a huge difference for a kid who maybe won't ever get the chance to live in the world we currently do. I'm not blind to climate change, but if our children are truly going to be hurt the most by what we collectively do, then I'm going to make their lives positive and safe and help them cope with the world as best I can before I die.

I think a lot of the posters here are really concerned about where the world is headed (death), and their hearts break the most for all the kids who're basically hosed by things they have no control over. Why not spend some time helping those kids build coping skills? Chaperoning nature trips? Working at drop-in centers where teenagers can go when they don't feel safe or comfortable at home? It's not possible to avert the end of climate change, but you, Fly Molo, can make a huge difference for someone out there.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

No I am not interested in chaperoning teens wtf is this how you guys recruit mods?

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Pryor on Fire posted:

No I am not interested in chaperoning teens wtf is this how you guys recruit mods?

This is the second time someone has slyly implied that helping kids makes you a pedophile. Why is it that this is the go-to reason people have for not doing something that is objectively a moral good? What about this screams "you're a pedophile if you want to help kids"? Are you 100% incapable of extending empathy to children?

I'm a special ed teacher, and I've worked with kids for a very long time. The fact that you go straight to implying pedophilia is disappointing to me.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

NeatHeteroDude posted:

I think people should still volunteer to help children. if you really believe that it's them who get the short end of the stick, wouldn't it make sense to invest time and empathy into improving their lives? For a couple of hours a week, you could absolutely make a huge difference for a kid who maybe won't ever get the chance to live in the world we currently do. I'm not blind to climate change, but if our children are truly going to be hurt the most by what we collectively do, then I'm going to make their lives positive and safe and help them cope with the world as best I can before I die.

I think a lot of the posters here are really concerned about where the world is headed (death), and their hearts break the most for all the kids who're basically hosed by things they have no control over. Why not spend some time helping those kids build coping skills? Chaperoning nature trips? Working at drop-in centers where teenagers can go when they don't feel safe or comfortable at home? It's not possible to avert the end of climate change, but you, Fly Molo, can make a huge difference for someone out there.

I think you are projecting a little and are not really able to deal with the helplessness you feel at living in this world. If you were confident about the amazing impact you are having on the world you wouldn't have set up shop here for days to lecture people on how your mentoring of children matters while crossposting posts to another thread to also rant there about the amazing impact you are having on the world. It's desperate.

If those things make you feel better and are impacting people's lives for the better that is fine. Nobody here is (probably) seriously going to tell you to stop mentoring kids but this is barely even relevant to global biosphere collapse beyond a general guidance to do positive things for your surroundings which pretty much everyone is on board with.

Despite the fact you are all flooding into this thread you have obviously never read the thousands of posts here covering things like that and are instead fighting your idea of what you think this thread is like the last poster.

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Why is it that this is the go-to reason people have for not doing something that is objectively a moral good?

If that little nugget there, an "Objective Moral Good" is what brings you relief that's cool but it isn't as relevant as you seem to think it is. There are plenty of objective moral goods and they are only as important as you think they are.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 04:03 on May 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Pryor on Fire posted:

there's no need to be so hostile here in the climate thread friend. the vast majority of people involved in child services are not child molestors and it's a rightwing trope to project this. let's try and do better.

in this context it seems clear that NHD's fixation on helping the next generation is a form of bargaining and we should support them coming to terms with the future in the way that suits them best.