Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

I'm gonna gently caress the gay space rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I Am Fowl posted:

I'm gonna gently caress the gay space rock.

Godspeed, gamer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

That doesn't explain it! That's a different person! Also this is just Dr. Stone but with homosexuality now!

Y: The Last Straight

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
flcl's fine

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FLCL definitely gains a lot from being watched as a 13 year old in like 2004

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
my opinion on flcl hasn't really changed at all but i never thought it was the greatest thing i've ever watched i just thought it was a cool ova with some really striking visuals

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
its a solid 4/5

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

mycophobia posted:

its a solid 4/5

:hai:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/SugoiLITE/status/1524717644867575810?s=20&t=b90dR72zjMnW9WCDnOjvDw

marumaru
May 20, 2013

watched the trailer for that cgi gits

literally 1984

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

"No way to prevent this", says only nation where this happens on a regular basis

:911:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i am banning you from watching the sailor moon r movie until you make funnier posts

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

I feel like FLCL is just one of those shows where you either vibe with the show's aesthetic super hard or you don't and you think it's an impressive production but not much more. I watched it two years ago and thought it owned, and I can guarantee you that I certainly would not have appreciated it near as much had I watched it when I was a kid, so I don't really get the "you just had to be there" notion, but maybe that's cause I'm approaching it from the perspective of 12-year-old shounenbaby me in 2011 when anime was already much more mainstream than it was when FLCL was first airing on Toonami, and I did in fact just need to be there.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I caught a couple episodes as a literal child before my parents sent me to bed so for the longest time I thought I made it up lol.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

BlitznBurst posted:

I feel like FLCL is just one of those shows where you either vibe with the show's aesthetic super hard or you don't and you think it's an impressive production but not much more. I watched it two years ago and thought it owned, and I can guarantee you that I certainly would not have appreciated it near as much had I watched it when I was a kid, so I don't really get the "you just had to be there" notion, but maybe that's cause I'm approaching it from the perspective of 12-year-old shounenbaby me in 2011 when anime was already much more mainstream than it was when FLCL was first airing on Toonami, and I did in fact just need to be there.

Anime was super cool in 2000 - 2004 and you had to be there to understand.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

gay for gacha posted:

it's also cool in 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

gay for gacha posted:

The Anime Boom was a rad time. Inuyasha was one of the biggest anime in the world. I miss that.

Cowboy Bebop is the hit show of the era which never clicked with me. I don't like episodic storytelling.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Inuyasha was a big enough anime to get an entire-rear end PS2 JRPG, fully dubbed.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
inuyasha was my gateway anime

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Waffleman_ posted:

Inuyasha was a big enough anime to get an entire-rear end PS2 JRPG, fully dubbed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

it's also cool in 2022

Cooler than ever tbh.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Inuyasha ftw.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Wasn't this a launch game, too?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished the Chimera Ant arc. Not gonna lie that second last episode hit some real good bittersweet notes. I dont know if the agonizingly slow pace was worth it, but credit where it is due, that was a good episode.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

inuyasha was my gateway anime

I'm in a weird place because I definitely saw (and was addicted to) Pokemon and DBZ first but I never thought of them as Japanese cartoons. I was a dumb kid but also they were very Americanized in their dubs.

Inuyasha was not just given a more "faithful" dub, but of course it actually takes place in Japan and has a lot to do with Japanese history and mythology. So I also like to credit it as my gateway anime, just with a bit of qualification.

To this day I think it had the best collection of EDs ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI_el2XhI8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6mwBT9r1iQ

Dearest might be my all time favorite J-Pop song. I had it saved on my VCR back in the day, it's so perfect. And My Will hits me with a full on nostalgia hammer like nothing else can.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the very first episode I saw on adult swim was, in retrospect, probably the best episode in the entire show

(it's the one where tessaiga breaks)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

gay for gacha posted:

lol if you weren't being mystified by the iria/zeriam vhs your friend's older brother had in 1997 or whatever

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Wasn't this a launch game, too?

yeeeeeeep, somehow

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I had the DS Inuyasha RPG which has you play an american exchange student and basically felt like someones fanfiction which was funny. The game was not good at all tho.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

that sucks because that sounds like a neat setup for a spinoff game honestly

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm in a weird place because I definitely saw (and was addicted to) Pokemon and DBZ first but I never thought of them as Japanese cartoons. I was a dumb kid but also they were very Americanized in their dubs.

Inuyasha was not just given a more "faithful" dub, but of course it actually takes place in Japan and has a lot to do with Japanese history and mythology. So I also like to credit it as my gateway anime, just with a bit of qualification.

To this day I think it had the best collection of EDs ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI_el2XhI8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6mwBT9r1iQ

Dearest might be my all time favorite J-Pop song. I had it saved on my VCR back in the day, it's so perfect. And My Will hits me with a full on nostalgia hammer like nothing else can.

how can you forget BOKUTACHI WAAAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKt8_o1a9Cw

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I had the DS Inuyasha RPG which has you play an american exchange student and basically felt like someones fanfiction which was funny. The game was not good at all tho.

Secret of the Divine Jewel feels in multiple ways kinda like a spiritual successor to Secret of the Cursed Mask, which is the PS2 RPG I mentioned earlier. That one's also pretty fanfiction and it's also not good but it's like just competent enough that it's not a pain in the rear end to get through. I've never gotten too deep into Divine Jewel but I've always intended to since Cursed Mask is pretty dear to my heart.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Secret of the Divine Jewel feels in multiple ways kinda like a spiritual successor to Secret of the Cursed Mask, which is the PS2 RPG I mentioned earlier. That one's also pretty fanfiction and it's also not good but it's like just competent enough that it's not a pain in the rear end to get through. I've never gotten too deep into Divine Jewel but I've always intended to since Cursed Mask is pretty dear to my heart.

I don't like to post too many videos due to all the slowdown. Inuyasha has just so many amazing ED's.

How about this though, BoA produced a legendary Inuyasha ED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXsZKEiQhBE

...and the best Fairy Tail OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqRuzjIBkxY

Two of my favorite anime from different stages of my life.

Speaking of dubbed RPGs, the FT RPG not getting dubbed still rankles. I guess Inuyasha gave me unrealistic expectations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Waffleman_ posted:

I see your BOKUTACHI WAAAA

And raise you...

Another BOKUTACHI WAAAAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH_ZMA37TpQ

From like a few years later.

(From a lame series, granted)

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

The Anime Boom was a rad time. Inuyasha was one of the biggest anime in the world. I miss that.

Cowboy Bebop is the hit show of the era which never clicked with me. I don't like episodic storytelling.

You are objectively an idiot

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I obviously watched DBZ and sailor moon and a little card captor Sakura as a kid but they didn't click with me as being anime l guess. And we had a couple Ghibli movies on tape (kiki ftw). They came on cartoon network so I watched them. When I was older, like 12 or 13, I watched Bebop and GITS stand alone complex and thought they were amazing. Snow White with the Red Hair is probably the first anime I sought out myself that nobody else had seen lol.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

admittedly it was pretty funny when like, trigun and love hina started coming out on dvd (wow!) here and I was like hey wait this is like teknoman and sailor moon from when i was like 8

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It took me until I was like 18 to realize Power Rangers was using Japanese footage for the robot fights and stuff lol. I just thought everything from the 80s was weird like that. I mean its really not that out of place along side the running man and poo poo.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

The Colonel posted:

the author of that wrote a pretty widely criticized biographical manga about being pansexual that got cancelled over her expressing some pretty typically weird biotruths about the differences between men and women so it seems like, the work of someone who has very odd thoughts on gender and sexuality and confused ideas of how to express them

the one funny thing to note about this manga is that the plot explanation for why the main character is the one heterosexual woman on earth is because there was an astronaut who wasn't on earth when the asteroids hit, so he was the one heterosexual man left on earth

Meme Poker Party posted:

*Movie trailer narrator guy voice*

In a world where heterosexuality no longer exists...

lmao but also man that biotruths bit sucks 😔

i think my gateway manga was me buying tokyo mew mew volume 1 at a book fair in like 5th grade?? anime was probably dubbed pokemon eps on vhs or seeing some yugioh dm on tv before seeing bits of like, sailor moon (and fansubbed tmm eps in 3 parts and stuff) on yt

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

this game's, not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Going to anime conventions used to be the best way to get your hands on the good anime merch/shows way before it came stateside. The internet grew and ruined that. A lot of it was for the best, but I'll admit I do miss going into a dealer's room and just being blown away by poo poo I'd never seen before.

Also there was a mall 15 minutes from my house that had an FYE arcade/music/video store combo, so you could play Dance Dance Revolution and Soul Calibur 2 for a bit, then check out the newest anime VHS tapes and maybe try out this new game coming to GameCube called Resident Evil 4.

Hm. That was like 18 years ago.

:corsair: