Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
God I wish I had an out, I guess I'm just gonna save money for the kids and hopefully provide them with the option of escaping when they are older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

He also would have given direct aid to Putin's genocidal campaign in Ukraine and we'd probably be watching concentration camps being built in Kyiv in real time right about now.

Start your application now, friend. Even with a Canadian spouse to sponsor you, the paperwork to get permanent residency here sucks and has a pretty long processing time (currently estimated 12-18 months last time I checked).

I apologize. Genocidal terrorist.

And yes, that meets with what I know about the process, and that was at least 8 years ago.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Trump was a legitimate threat to this country and probably on a path towards MAD with China or whoever the hell. I'll gladly take whatever milquetoast D they throw out there to serve as a stop gap. Its not ideal, but I'll take "not ideal" over nukes flying.

e: The thing that bothers me is that there isn't a next man/woman up? I've got my wagon hitched to Fetterman, but he'd be well into his 60s before given the chance. I'm really hoping Charles Booker wins this year.

But remember even an elderly Fetterman can probably still bodyslam people!

It’s a good point about the existential thread of Trump. I mean how bad was the situation where the joint chiefs of staff had to do all the crazy poo poo he did to both avoid a foreign country acting on bed intel on trumps actions and the insane president using the military to prevent certification.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 13, 2022

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I apologize. Genocidal terrorist.

And yes, that meets with what I know about the process, and that was at least 8 years ago.

Lol I’ve had forms on my laptop since 2016 friends, most of this is me theory crafting. I’d probably just get a transfer to our GTA office as an interim step and make work do the heavy lifting on the green card equivalent part with a delay on full citizenship (roughly 10 years after application in my in laws experience, but I may be thinking of CA -> US)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/notwoofers/status/1524939287573176344?s=21&t=7mn06odg31xrrEJAGMWEMQ

So does this mean they were actually able to contain it before or it’s just been running wild like Hulkamania in the 1980s since 2020?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Marshal Prolapse posted:

It’s a good point about the existential thread of Trump. I mean how bad was the situation where the joint chiefs of staff had to do all the crazy poo poo he did to both avoid a foreign country acting on bed intel on trumps actions and the insane president using the military to prevent certification.

The problem with just tying a tourniquet on and calling the job done because "not Trump!" is linear time exists. The next fascist fucker that Republicans put in office will have all the lessons learned from Trump and none of that stopped-bleeding time is being used to fix any problems. I'm pretty certain the next election that gives them a legislative majority will be the last that they ever lose without violence.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Haven't seen additional confirmation of this yet, but the MN GOP appears to be purging its LGBTQ members.
https://twitter.com/mbrodkorb/status/1524896482658332672?t=55fFyq44U3JL7I-45uX6oQ&s=19

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The consensus at the time was Biden was a tourniquet on the femoral artery bleed that was the Trump presidency, but the Democratic leadership is now saying “the bleeding has stopped! We don’t need to repair the artery. It’s fine! The leg looks better in its new purple color! Vote please?” while the increasingly deranged Republicans are staring at the leg and drooling as they say “hey, you gonna eat that?”
I strongly agree that the Democratic leadership is suicidally complacent and desperately needs to change.

I'm also really worried by a lot of people on the forums vocally expressing the take away that they shouldn't ever vote for the Democrat and hopping on the dead-end "VOTE!" irony meme. Folks need to use the avenues available to them to press for positive change and guard against further regression, including, as one small component, voting where it matters.

I didn't vote for Clinton in '16. That vote didn't matter much because I knew my state had enough voters either willing to hold their nose or enthusiastically supporting her. If I were in a battleground state? Knowing what I know now, I'd have voted for her and cursed the party elite for forcing me to vote for hot garbage to ward off Christo-fascist seizure of the Supreme Court. Not knowing what I know now, who knows.

I'm not clear on what exactly the "VOTE!" memers are hoping to get across, but it's a dangerously lazy meme that seems more likely to engender nihilistic apathy and disengagement than encourage constructive outcomes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Holy poo poo.

https://twitter.com/notwoofers/status/1524939287573176344?s=21&t=7mn06odg31xrrEJAGMWEMQ

So does this mean they were actually able to contain it before or it’s just been running wild like Hulkamania in the 1980s since 2020?

Well, I guess now we find out if Omicron really is less deadly. :stonklol:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bird food bathtub posted:

The problem with just tying a tourniquet on and calling the job done because "not Trump!" is linear time exists. The next fascist fucker that Republicans put in office will have all the lessons learned from Trump and none of that stopped-bleeding time is being used to fix any problems. I'm pretty certain the next election that gives them a legislative majority will be the last that they ever lose without violence.

Oh I don’t mean to imply that was all that was needed, just the insane poo poo needed to get him out without a civil war or sparking a world war either by his own actions or others misreading his batshit crazy.

Milley isn’t a perfect guy, but man did a good job, even if it’s not good he had to do it. That’s more what I was speaking about. But yeah we need something far better then basic Russian combat medic care.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Well, I guess now we find out if Omicron really is less deadly. :stonklol:

Here’s a question, what if any vaccine does leadership or top leadership have there? It would be hilarious if Kim got it and drop dead because he didn’t have a vaccine and is a gigantic fat rear end (well more then me) who drinks a lot (assumption on my part) and smokes a ton (seen in pictures)

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

I strongly agree that the Democratic leadership is suicidally complacent and desperately needs to change.

I'm also really worried by a lot of people on the forums vocally expressing the take away that they shouldn't ever vote for the Democrat and hopping on the dead-end "VOTE!" irony meme. Folks need to use the avenues available to them to press for positive change and guard against further regression, including, as one small component, voting where it matters.

I didn't vote for Clinton in '16. That vote didn't matter much because I knew my state had enough voters either willing to hold their nose or enthusiastically supporting her. If I were in a battleground state? Knowing what I know now, I'd have voted for her and cursed the party elite for forcing me to vote for hot garbage to ward off Christo-fascist seizure of the Supreme Court. Not knowing what I know now, who knows.

I'm not clear on what exactly the "VOTE!" memers are hoping to get across, but it's a dangerously lazy meme that seems more likely to engender nihilistic apathy and disengagement than encourage constructive outcomes.

Voting obviously matters. To some degree.

But also, things have been gerrymandered to gently caress and back, so, for example, my vote only matters in statewide races because all of the republicans are going to win in anything with districts. Also, the minority of the population has the majority of EC votes and senate seats because rurality is political destiny now.

The real problem is when rational people feel/know their vote is useless and then the move to the next of the three boxes from which their freedom is secured.

We all know that a near supermajority of the country's population wants to keep Roe. We also know that it's unlikely that this will be represented when all votes are counted unless a few states have some incredibly improbable shockers and suddenly there's 60 dems in the senate and they hold their house majority. So now what?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Marshal Prolapse posted:

As a point of contention, the dude has a graduate degree from Harvard, spent 14 years as a mayor that served a minority community and is currently the Lt. Governor of Pennsylvania.

e: I'm not even starting on Giselle. That woman is a saint.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 13, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Here’s a question, what if any vaccine does leadership or top leadership have there? It would be hilarious if Kim got it and drop dead because he didn’t have a vaccine and is a gigantic fat rear end (well more then me) who drinks a lot (assumption on my part) and smokes a ton (seen in pictures)

They can kidnap Japanese citizens.

I’m sure they can get their hands on a few hundred bucks worth of pharmaceuticals.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Trump was a legitimate threat to this country and probably on a path towards MAD with China or whoever the hell. I'll gladly take whatever milquetoast D they throw out there to serve as a stop gap. Its not ideal, but I'll take "not ideal" over nukes flying.

e: The thing that bothers me is that there isn't a next man/woman up? I've got my wagon hitched to Fetterman, but he'd be well into his 60s before given the chance. I'm really hoping Charles Booker wins this year.

Kazinsal posted:

He also would have given direct aid to Putin's genocidal campaign in Ukraine and we'd probably be watching concentration camps being built in Kyiv in real time right about now.

Start your application now, friend. Even with a Canadian spouse to sponsor you, the paperwork to get permanent residency here sucks and has a pretty long processing time (currently estimated 12-18 months last time I checked).

My concern is what happens in 2024.

If it's Trump/Biden 2, Anxiety Boogaloo, Biden might have a chance simply because he's Not Trump but, if he wins, I have a bad feeling Trump/MAGAts/the GOP are going to openly call for Civil War or something similar.

If it's DeSantis/Biden, I'm concerned DeSantis probably mops the floor with Biden and we get 4-8 years of Trump Lite.

I also don't know who the Dems could run who could beat either with the exception of the "Not Trump" handicap.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

2024 is the problem in the scenarios Im playing through in my head. Its not great.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SquirrelyPSU posted:

As a point of contention, the dude has a graduate degree from Harvard, spent 14 years as a mayor that served a minority community and is currently the Lt. Governor of Pennsylvania.

e: I'm not even starting on Giselle. That woman is a saint.

Oh I know I love the crap out him and his wife. My wife does too. Honestly, he’s the first candidate I’ve actually cared about in a while.

Platystemon posted:

They can kidnap Japanese citizens.

I’m sure they can get their hands on a few hundred bucks worth of pharmaceuticals.

Oh I don’t doubt that I just question if they’d use it because of their own internal paranoia and Kim’s himself. I mean what if he has a moderate reaction and is out for a few days. I figure Kim would be terrified by that though.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Cugel the Clever posted:

Haven't seen additional confirmation of this yet, but the MN GOP appears to be purging its LGBTQ members.
https://twitter.com/mbrodkorb/status/1524896482658332672?t=55fFyq44U3JL7I-45uX6oQ&s=19

FWIW, I’ve voted in every election that I’ve been eligible to vote in- local, state, and national- since I was eligible to register, which was 20 years ago, and I’ll continue to do so. What has been a bitter pill to swallow is that my votes at the national level, be they in the primary or general, have meant absolutely gently caress all. In the past 20 years I’ve lived in California, New York and DC, all places where the primary contest has been decided by the time I get to cast my vote and all places that are reliably blue. My personal political stake in the most pressing question the country can ask itself- “Who do I trust to have launch authority on weapons that could end the world ten times over?”- is absolutely nil in comparison to voters in a dwindling number of early primary and swing states.

My “vote please?” comment was a crack at how Democratic politicians especially run on a campaign of preventing Terrible Thing from happening, and when Terrible Thing happens, their response is to tell us that we need to vote harder next election! How about trying to loving fight for what we elected you to do? How about Nancy Pelosi quits welcoming pro-forced birth Democrats into the party and tells them to gently caress off entirely?

Being a Democrat feels like being in a lovely, pseudo-abusive relationship sometimes. The leadership claims they learn every time they get their asses kicked in an election, yet fights against actual progressives like AOC and other members of the Squad. At this point I’m sick of feeling like I’m being gaslit by people who claim to represent my interests yet aren’t willing to actually fight for them or pass the reigns on to those who will.

You know that this subforum and the people who post here are the anti-CSPAM. Many of us are people who have experience being at the pointy end of the spear of our country’s misguided military adventures, and those who weren’t are smart or well-traveled enough to have seen some hosed up poo poo and recognize negative trends when they see them. So when posters here start talking about gunning up or getting a CCW, it’s less likely to be weirdo doomer LARPing as it is recognizing that we’re living in hosed up times and no one is coming to rescue us but ourselves. Admittedly I’m a cishet white male who would likely escape significant consequence should the next iterative candidate of Trumpy fascism take office, but I’m married to a non-white woman whose maid of honor at our wedding was a queer Jewish woman amidst a wedding party that had a few other queer minorities up there with us.

I really hope that didn’t come across as preachy or that you take it as a personal calling out. I’m just trying to convey my anger at a party that purports to represent me while whistling past the graveyard of knowing that we are looking at some dark loving poo poo coming down the pike and being seemingly unwilling to fight for us.

End rant. Peace and love to y’all.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I really hope that didn’t come across as preachy or that you take it as a personal calling out. I’m just trying to convey my anger at a party that purports to represent me while whistling past the graveyard of knowing that we are looking at some dark loving poo poo coming down the pike and being seemingly unwilling to fight for us.

End rant. Peace and love to y’all.
Not at all! I agree wholeheartedly with everything you wrote. I tried to note that I wasn't responding to your post specifically as being an example of indulging in apathy-inducing rhetoric; hope that came across.

poo poo's hosed up and bullshit and we've got decorum-oriented careerist octogenarians at the helm actively beating down anyone who might rise to replace them. So it's really important that we don't just stop at dunking on them and instead actively promote a mindset of making the positive difference we can at the margins. That might mean getting involved locally, having political conversations with friends, getting the training and equipment needed to respond to an increasingly militant and bloodthirsty right-wing, and voting where it counts.

And maybe that's exactly what some posters have in mind with the ironic "VOTE!". The dunking is just too far ambiguous for my liking.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 13, 2022

brains
May 12, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

My concern is what happens in 2024.

If it's Trump/Biden 2, Anxiety Boogaloo, Biden might have a chance simply because he's Not Trump but, if he wins, I have a bad feeling Trump/MAGAts/the GOP are going to openly call for Civil War or something similar.

If it's DeSantis/Biden, I'm concerned DeSantis probably mops the floor with Biden and we get 4-8 years of Trump Lite.

I also don't know who the Dems could run who could beat either with the exception of the "Not Trump" handicap.

desantis would not be a "lite" version by any measure

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

brains posted:

Well, arguably if we measure megatons only, but I get your point. Any of the new fascists getting the presidency will still bad for anything nuclear even if they're not as unstable as Trump

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Whoever gets out of the R camp alive is by default the new rear end in a top hat

e: I mean I'm not the only person that lives in Midwest-adjacent surely

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
at what point does it stop to matter what candidate the dems throw up because their four-year history at that point is being absolutely worthless, or arguably worse than useless

the party of "we'll let them take your rights but you can't protest outside their homes" has the guns pointed at their own supporters

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I think I said "well this is the best-case scenario for Biden" but I still voted for Bernie in the primaries. Not that I honestly think Sanders would have had much more luck trying to pass legislation through this Congress.

This. Can you imagine Joe Manchin being shamed by Bernie Sanders? I can't, so there would be no filibuster elimination, which means Sanders' legislative agenda would be just as dead as Biden's.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

There are dozens of brilliant individuals that that fit that bill that make me sick to my stomach that they already haven't been identified yet.

brains
May 12, 2004

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Well, arguably if we measure megatons only, but I get your point. Any of the new fascists getting the presidency will still bad for anything nuclear even if they're not as unstable as Trump

trump is capricious, racist, insecure, and aggressively stupid, but he is above all insanely narcissistic, so all his decisions are, at their root, made with the goal of benefitting himself personally, in whatever warped way he thinks.

desantis and his ilk are the "round up the undesirables by force" type of fascist. they're out there specifically to eradicate the groups they hate. their messaging has been pretty clear on that point.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Soon may the Fetterman come,
and take his seat in the Air Force One.
One day when the voting is done,
he'll take White House and go...

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Ataxerxes posted:

Soon may the Fetterman come,
and take his seat in the Air Force One.
One day when the voting is done,
he'll take White House and go...

Again, Booker.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I'm sorry, did I miss the part where this turned to CSPAM overnight?

e: And for the record, I voted for Sanders in the primary. Please and politely gently caress off.

I don't care who you voted for that wasn't part of the conversation, so you can kindly get off the cross. We need the wood.

Biden's time spent in Congress was a reason that people who wanted more people to vote for him said they should vote for him. Please note: At no point was "people" specified to only be people in this thread.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

CainFortea posted:

I don't care who you voted for that wasn't part of the conversation, so you can kindly get off the cross. We need the wood.

Biden's time spent in Congress was a reason that people who wanted more people to vote for him said they should vote for him. Please note: At no point was "people" specified to only be people in this thread.

GiP isn't a tree fort, and in no situation should be. I self reported myself for the rebuke I issued you yesterday. My original point is that this isn't a place where you can just drop in and carpet bomb your takes. Try better.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Chill, y’all.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Chill, y’all.

There isn't an emoji I can use here, but will do.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Seconding what FV said. poo poo's heated, tempers will follow, so maybe you don't need to respond immediately.

brains posted:

BMI

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1524863573809414173?t=HCDc5XQ4BHb2i9zJ3zEZPw&s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Tesla stock is down 29% since last month and whoopsie-doodle!

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1525064941551632384?t=fHIBRv15XQQXV-VvYy7vkQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/GoAngelo/status/1525064950477201409?t=qX4XLCvpATraD02bCvf8uw&s=19

Betcha paying $1B to get out of the deal is looking better and better for the dumbass

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1524790057273630721?t=1ba2X0qCEsJup5JxmB0fPw&s=19

This guy has been bashing The Lincoln Project and Megan McCain.

Is he good or is this a case of the enemy of my enemy is my friend?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The poison pill was accepting the deal.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Bored As gently caress posted:

https://twitter.com/SteveSchmidtSES/status/1524790057273630721?t=1ba2X0qCEsJup5JxmB0fPw&s=19

The latter, even more so than the average Lincoln Project Republican.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you have a blocky wall of text meme about how awesome you are I will automatically assume you’re an obnoxious rear end in a top hat.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Bored As gently caress posted:

When I saw that guy start to pop up I immediately thought Lincoln Project 2.0. Oh wow, the big insider info is Sarah Palin was unqualified and Meghan McCain is disliked? And he’s acting like this is top secret or useful? He’s even got the little Resistance logo in his image corner.

His substack has the title “no books, no money, just the truth” wonder if the plan is to try to become a talk show regular. If he had something in the ballpark of the Access Hollywood tape on Greg Abbott ok now we’re talking but this just seems like nothing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah he's just another "I was a Republican but now I am a Democrat" but iirc never actually registered as a Democrat anywhere. Just a guy trying to make a buck off centrist libs who lap that poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

McNally posted:

Seconding what FV said. poo poo's heated, tempers will follow, so maybe you don't need to respond immediately.

BMI

I don’t know, ole Ronnie D is getting up there in his weight too. Trump looks smaller than his presidency because he’s golfing everyday(instead of every 3rd day during his presidency) instead of shitposting on Twitter 24/7.