Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Since we are talking about names.

Both my brother and I were named after West Indian cricketers from the 1970s. Me after an elegant left handed batsman and my younger brother after a demon fast bowler.

To this day it breaks my fathers heart that my brother grew up to be an opening batsman, and I grew into a handy medium pace bowler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BrigadierSensible posted:

Since we are talking about names.

Both my brother and I were named after West Indian cricketers from the 1970s. Me after an elegant left handed batsman and my younger brother after a demon fast bowler.

To this day it breaks my fathers heart that my brother grew up to be an opening batsman, and I grew into a handy medium pace bowler.

Tell me you're from an ex-Empire country without telling me etc.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

My parents gave me 4 names, 1 first + 3 middle and I won bronze once in a bowling competition in Sardinia, does that count? What are we competing in btw?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

My parents gave me 4 names, 1 first + 3 middle and I won bronze once in a bowling competition in Sardinia, does that count? What are we competing in btw?

no surname? badass

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

no surname? badass

That was the government, I don't respect their authority (death to kings)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

death to kings.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I thought we agreed Bernadotte's tattoo was apocryphal

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

we agreed on no such thing!

anyway, canon will be decided by future generations so we might as well shove more material in there

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Carthag Tuek posted:

death to kings.

Now THAT'S a slogan I can get behind!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Your face is apocryphal!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Who cares about the tattoo's corporeal status when Bernadotte showed true commitment to the cause, in the end. It's a good tattoo to have too

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

FreudianSlippers posted:

Your face is apocryphal!

Clearasil helped me with that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Who cares about the tattoo's corporeal status when Bernadotte showed true commitment to the cause, in the end. It's a good tattoo to have too

in that case i will not post the photo of king frederik with the sailor tattoos

(implicit that i would rather post a photo of them all guillo—

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

he didn't guillotine himself

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My last name translated to singer in Latin. Ironically, none of us can sing worth a drat

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Platystemon posted:

IMO you should not name kids after figures from religion known for being wicked, whether or not their name happens to sound like butthole.

Yeah, pick virtuous things instead which is why we were given Witchfinder General Thou-Shalt-Not-Commit-Adultery Pulsifer.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Nth Doctor posted:

Yeah, pick virtuous things instead which is why we were given Witchfinder General Thou-Shalt-Not-Commit-Adultery Pulsifer.

I just want more Notwithstanding Griswolds. Is that too much to ask?!

Oh. I see.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Platystemon posted:

IMO you should not name kids after figures from religion known for being wicked, whether or not their name happens to sound like butthole.

If I want to name my kid Judas Herod I should be allowed to do so:colbert:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Caiaphas would be a baller name

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You can't make your name quite that awesome, but Witch Hunt is ten dollars on Steam if anyone wants to RP as the sort of dude who would be called Witchfinder-General Notwithstanding Griswold.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

my plan is to get as many twins as possible and name them after the approved unisex name list until they freak out about it and throw me in jail

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

my plan is to get as many twins as possible and name them after the approved unisex name list until they freak out about it and throw me in jail

The Great Danish Twin Robbery.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

The Great Danish Twin Robbery.

more a reveal than a robbery but yeah, itll be great

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

My great grandpa wanted to change his surname. He went to the local priest, as was customary back then, and said:

"I'd like to change my surname to Mountain*."

And the priest shook his head and said:

"Oh no no no, doesn't that seem a bit too ambitious? I think a Hill** will do for you."

And that's how our family surname came to be.

(* ** not the real name, but follows the same logic.)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Nth Doctor posted:

You name daughters after virtues. Prudence, Charity and so on. The sons, you name after… HEY, BESTIALITY, CUT THAT OUT!

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Doll House Ghost posted:

My great grandpa wanted to change his surname. He went to the local priest, as was customary back then, and said:

"I'd like to change my surname to Mountain*."

And the priest shook his head and said:

"Oh no no no, doesn't that seem a bit too ambitious? I think a Hill** will do for you."

And that's how our family surname came to be.

(* ** not the real name, but follows the same logic.)

:murder: I'll change my name to OlympusFuckingMons if I want to you gently caress

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

D34THROW posted:

:murder: I'll change my name to OlympusFuckingMons if I want to you gently caress

Sir, you would not be an upstanding citizen in Jante. What a shameful lack of shame

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_Jante

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 19:54 on May 13, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carthag Tuek posted:

Go to your room, Approved Unisex Name List III.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wouldn't be the worst name I've seen

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Platystemon posted:

Go to your room, Approved Unisex Name List III.

YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
In Sweden (and im guessing the other scandi countries) it was also common to have a so called "gårdsnamn" (=homestead name) as a kind of cognomen to differentiate people in a locality with common patronyms. Similarly, cognomens were often added to soldiers in the allotment system. Often these were bellicose names but not always. And as surnames become more common during the latter half of the 19th century and patronymic conventions were finally outlawed in 1966 many of these homestead and soldier names became inherited as fixed surnames.

Some titles could also be used for this function.
Commoners who entered the priesthood got proper surnames, often latinised. How for example Carl Linnaeus got his surname, from a peasant and clerical lineage. His father made Linnaeus a fixed surname when he enrolled at university, named after a lime tree growing in his family homestead.

Falukorv has a new favorite as of 13:47 on May 14, 2022

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Falukorv posted:

In Sweden (and im guessing the other scandi countries) it was also common to have a so called "gårdsnamn" (=homestead name) as a kind of cognomen to differentiate people in a locality with common patronyms. Similarly, cognomens were often added to soldiers in the allotment system. Often these were bellicose names but not always. And as surnames become more common during the latter half of the 19th century and patronymic conventions were finally outlawed in 1966 many of these homestead and soldier names became inherited as fixed surnames.

Norwegian surnames can more or less be divided into two haves: Homestead names and fixed patronyms. Occupational surnames like Miller is pretty uncommon and can be traced back to german immigration.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The history of that word and its cousins is fun. Damned scandinavians, sailing everywhere, making us use their words. The ultimate prize must go to Nizhniy Novgorod. Settle down New Newtown. We get it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

It kind of freaked me out when I realized that "yard" and "garden" were basically the same word

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

BRB, painting a GARD SARD sign.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Iceland was almost called Garðarshólmi (Garðar's Island) because one of the first settlers, albeit a non permanent one, was a man called Garðar Svavarsson. Though not a garður in the same sense as Kænugarður (Kiev), Garðaríki (Novgorod), or Mikligarður (Constantinople) the personal name is from the same root of fortress or walled town.

In modern Icelandic garður is just a garden or park. For example the amusement park/zoo in Reykjavík is Fjölskyldu- og húsdýragarðurinn (family and domestic animal garden).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Speaking of kings. Eric of Pomerania had a pretty sweet thing going on. After the death of his adoptive mother, queen Margaret I, he became the king of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. So naturally he found a way to gently caress it up for himself. Decided that ruling over three countries was not enough he went to war with Germany in order to retake Schleswig. Everyone hated this war because Eric raised the taxes and introduced a toll on ships travelling through Øresund (a straight between Sweden and Denmark). Soon nobles and peasants in all three countries revolted against him and he had to abdicate. Eric then spent the last ten years of his life as a pirate.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Alhazred posted:

Speaking of kings. Eric of Pomerania had a pretty sweet thing going on. After the death of his adoptive mother, queen Margaret I, he became the king of Denmark, Norway and Sweden. So naturally he found a way to gently caress it up for himself. Decided that ruling over three countries was not enough he went to war with Germany in order to retake Schleswig. Everyone hated this war because Eric raised the taxes and introduced a toll on ships travelling through Øresund (a straight between Sweden and Denmark). Soon nobles and peasants in all three countries revolted against him and he had to abdicate. Eric then spent the last ten years of his life as a pirate.

King of three (and half, hello Finland) countries? Hard work. Pirate prince of Gotland? Easy, chill, fun, lucrative. I know what job I'd choose.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The history of that word and its cousins is fun. Damned scandinavians, sailing everywhere, making us use their words. The ultimate prize must go to Nizhniy Novgorod. Settle down New Newtown. We get it.

that's lower newtown

tautological places are fun: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torpenhow_Hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Glendale Valley

The La Brea Tar Pits