Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’ve heard of you, the guy that ditched the iPod for a Zune. I thought it was a myth.

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I never owned a proper click wheel iPod. I had a Creative Zen Micro which was compatible with Yahoo Music's DRM. When the iPhone was announced, I thought it was so cool but expensive, so hung on to my Motorola and bought an iPod Touch just to see what it was like. My next phone was an iPhone.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

There's a great guy who builds new iPod classic's for reasonable prices for what they are, with new batteries, sd cards, new front cases, the whole nine yards.

I just got a green one from him last month, and have been loving it.

be warned, the gold colored one is closer to bronze though, a friend got it and doesn't like the front.

https://eoe.works

I use it at my home desk on a dock. I've had a blast ripping cd's from the library at higher bit rates, and my old music library and going through it. Sounds so much better than Spotify.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Zune HD was better than the iPod.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

FCKGW posted:

The Zune HD was better than the iPod.

Probably but it didn't matter. Like the Windows Phone, the Zune is now a footnote in the history of tech.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

My iPod Classic was the first little fiddly piece of electronics I ever repaired for myself when the battery went to poo poo.

I loved that thing.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’ve heard of you, the guy that ditched the iPod for a Zune. I thought it was a myth.

I did the same, but I love both the iPod and Zune.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i chose to buy a zune instead of an ipod. for a few months it seemed to be a huge mistake, but then they totally redid the desktop client to not just be a much slower and less stable version of windows media player and it got way better. i also had a zune hd which was extremely dope in terms of design but could do almost nothing compared to the ipod touch

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I had a 64MB Creative Nomad II before I got my first iPod. It was fun having to re-encode all my songs down to 64kHz so I could fit more than 10 on it.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

LionArcher posted:

There's a great guy who builds new iPod classic's for reasonable prices for what they are, with new batteries, sd cards, new front cases, the whole nine yards.

I just got a green one from him last month, and have been loving it.

be warned, the gold colored one is closer to bronze though, a friend got it and doesn't like the front.

https://eoe.works

I use it at my home desk on a dock. I've had a blast ripping cd's from the library at higher bit rates, and my old music library and going through it. Sounds so much better than Spotify.

Yeah, you can buy new copycat front and rear iPod Classic cases pretty cheap on fleabay - I redid a couple of old iPod Classics, a 30gig and 160 gig with new batteries, big fast SD cards and new shells, they look new and work better than new.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Would have been sick if Apple did a 20th anniversary iPod Classic or something last year. Just for funsies but it would have never happened.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I had a 64MB Creative Nomad II before I got my first iPod. It was fun having to re-encode all my songs down to 64kHz so I could fit more than 10 on it.

MiniDisc Players are way better than MP3 players, you peasant!
Sure, it's slightly slower to have to record the song onto the device, but then you can just buy another blank for three bux!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Weedle posted:

i chose to buy a zune instead of an ipod. for a few months it seemed to be a huge mistake, but then they totally redid the desktop client to not just be a much slower and less stable version of windows media player and it got way better. i also had a zune hd which was extremely dope in terms of design but could do almost nothing compared to the ipod touch

Yeah I went from a click wheel ipod to a zune so it was a killer upgrade. I loved the design language and ui of the client, etc.

I wouldn't have made that jump from an iPod touch probably.

Edit: also I was on a Windows machine and the iTunes client... Yeah.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is it weird that I want to buy the last iPod touch? 200 dollars isn’t that bad.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Years ago, we bought iPod touches for our daughters. Maybe we can sell them since they both have iPads now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kirios posted:

Is it weird that I want to buy the last iPod touch? 200 dollars isn’t that bad.

Until I got my AirPods Pro I wanted an iPod classic very badly. Just let me put a billion songs that I definitely 100% bought onto my stupid loving thing and let the battery last me for weeks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Now maybe people will stop calling them "iTouch"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Never

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Data Graham posted:

that one doesn't bother me too much because they're just omitting part of the name.

"iWatch" however is like nails on a chalkboard when someone says that to me.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I found my old iPod classic a few months ago, and after playing with it for a few minutes I was reminded that the click wheel version of Peggle is still the superior mobile version of that game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I unloaded my shuffle and classic at the Apple store just a few weeks ago for recycling. It still worked fine but I couldn't find any 30 pin cables anymore so I figured it was time to let it go.

The shuffle I never used, it was a prize at a game night and while the form factor was pretty neat it didn't hold near enough music and it's been made completely obsolete by phones and watches.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

empty baggie posted:

I found my old iPod classic a few months ago, and after playing with it for a few minutes I was reminded that the click wheel version of Peggle is still the superior mobile version of that game.

Harmonix had a really cool game for iPods called Phase. It was similar to Amplitude and it used your own music for the levels.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I still have my first-gen iPod from release week :911: somewhere

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Phase. I was so stoked for that game that, even as a poor college student who couldn't afford it, I went to the Apple Store on the day the game was released and bought whatever the current-gen iPod Nano (3rd?) was with no question of the price, because the iPod I was using at the time was too old to support Phase. The allure of a Harmonix game with a seemingly-infinite playlist of my own music was too strong to go against.

Truth be told, it wasn't that great in terms of making a chart from your songs, but yeah, rest assured I still played so much that the clickwheel "buttons" on the left, right, and middle got to the point where they no longer responded to presses unless you really jammed them down. The hardware (understandably) wasn't designed to be subjected to the wear and tear more akin to what a gamepad would receive. RIP to that Nano.

Thanks for reading my PhasePosting.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Data Graham posted:

I still have my first-gen iPod from release week :911: somewhere

Mine was stolen. I remember that day. I was so upset :( Had a good couple years with it though. Lol firewire. The 1st gen iPod was actually my first Apple device. I wouldn't get another until the Core 2 Duo white plastic MacBook circa... 2006?

[edit] vvv Oh yeah, I forgot I got one of those clip-on shuffles too, lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 11, 2022

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction
First iPod was the little square nano with the clip. I had a Touch for about a week but it was stolen out of my backpack on the bus, RIP Ancient Frog and KTdict C-E. The nano eventually led to an iPhone 3G and then when I needed a computer I got a MacBook Air and I haven’t looked back since. Seems like a pretty common pathway, although I didn’t mind the iTunes software on Windows.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
You guys rock a screen protector? I think I’m gonna have to go back to one on my next phone. I work retail in a pretty fast paced environment and I get so many micro scratches on my screen. I hate screen protectors though lol.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If you put it on properly and you didn’t just sort by the cheapest+shipping on Amazon you can’t even tell you have a screen protector fitted, why would you not.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you put it on properly and you didn’t just sort by the cheapest+shipping on Amazon you can’t even tell you have a screen protector fitted, why would you not.

poo poo, I've been buying generic ones off Amazon for a while and they're fine. As long as they have one of those guides to pop on the phone before installation, I never have a problem.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jose Oquendo posted:

poo poo, I've been buying generic ones off Amazon for a while and they're fine. As long as they have one of those guides to pop on the phone before installation, I never have a problem.

Yeah I buy the LK 3 for $10 packs of Amazon and they're great.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I love how online yesterday the discourse was, good riddance and nobody needs an iPod touch, and rip a product. 24 hours later, iPod touches are drat near sold out almost everywhere online (256 gigs) I can still find one or two iPod touches in 128 gigs, but very limited lol.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I need to start monitoring my blood pressure. Any recommendations for an Health.app connected, arm cuff (not wrist) type blood pressure kit?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I’ve managed to scratch the poo poo out of my 13 Pros screen somehow, to the point where it’s kinda annoying me.

Almost tempted to pay for a screen replacement because of it lol.

stoopidmunkey
May 21, 2005

yep

track day bro! posted:

I’ve managed to scratch the poo poo out of my 13 Pros screen somehow, to the point where it’s kinda annoying me.

Almost tempted to pay for a screen replacement because of it lol.

I had that issue along with WiFi troubles so I got with support and they sent me a replacement. Maybe yours has issues starting on WiFi too? Only downside is they put a hold on a card for the full price of the phone until the original gets back. I made sure to put a screen protector on the new one.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't use a screen protector. That I can never get them on right is probably at least a small part of why, but ultimately, I basically never get scratches and I have AppleCare if it breaks, so whatever.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

stoopidmunkey posted:

I had that issue along with WiFi troubles so I got with support and they sent me a replacement. Maybe yours has issues starting on WiFi too? Only downside is they put a hold on a card for the full price of the phone until the original gets back. I made sure to put a screen protector on the new one.

Unfortunately the phone has been perfect apart from that. It’s like £260 something for a screen replacement, I do wonder how much they’ll knock off for the trade in when the 14 pro comes out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Has anyone had their AirPod Pro ear tip fit test fail over time? I got mine last July and the test said medium tips were good. After I lost an earbud in September when it fell out on the train, I swapped for large and was generally happy. In the past month, I switched back to normal because my new concert earplugs fit well with medium tips, but just now, my AirPod Pros failed the fit test with either medium or large tips. I've tried blowing into the grills and cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol and q-tips since people claim dirt buildup can cause issues, but no luck.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 13, 2022

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The stock tips never worked for me. I could only get a good fit test with the comply foam tips.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anybody got one of those Backbone One game controller things and can recommend a case for the iPhone XS that should be compatible with it?

Something kind of grippy would be nice for the day to day use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

Has anyone had their AirPod Pro ear tip fit test fail over time? I got mine last July and the test said medium tips were good. After I lost an earbud in September when it fell out on the train, I swapped for large and was generally happy. In the past month, I switched back to normal because my new concert earplugs fit well with medium tips, but just now, my AirPod Pros failed the fit test with either medium or large tips. I've tried blowing into the grills and cleaning them with isopropyl alcohol and q-tips since people claim dirt buildup can cause issues, but no luck.

Evis posted:

The stock tips never worked for me. I could only get a good fit test with the comply foam tips.

I couldn't get a good fit test with the comply tips no matter what.

It's a crap shoot for anyone I think. They never really tell us what is in firmware updates but I am almost certain they gently caress with that test and the ANC in them. Interestingly enough after the firmware update from this week, I seem to get better results from the fit test and the ANC seems to be better for me at least.