Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

FlapYoJacks posted:

lmao these bezels

lol. why. sure, apple's roundRect is boring but at least it hasn't had bezels that big since the 3

aren't there a dozen android watches with better bezels and round faces? it's like they heard 'no really, this is the year apple makes a round watch' and tried to beat them to market with a knockoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

that watch looks like a kickstarter that goes after silent two years of vague updates and no products

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

google is really bad and android is really bad

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I would not be surprised if the new wear is using a samsung chipset.

Also, I like how google pay doesn't ask you anymore to pretty please download and use the new google pay. They just gave up because it's a POS that completely misread its user base. I hope they don't get google pay to try to convince you to use wallet, every single time you open it to pay for something. That poo poo gets old before the first time it happens.

Then again if wallet is some cool thing that cuts all bills by 10% with zero effort then maybe it could be worth it. I'm not holding my breath, though. And I'm switching to iphone this month (because my pixel 3a is losing support) so it's all moot. See ya later assholes!

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

sb hermit posted:

I hope they don't get google pay to try to convince you to use wallet, every single time you open it to pay for something. That poo poo gets old before the first time it happens.

Then again if wallet is some cool thing that cuts all bills by 10% with zero effort then maybe it could be worth it. I'm not holding my breath, though. And I'm switching to iphone this month (because my pixel 3a is losing support) so it's all moot. See ya later assholes!

quote:

How this rollout will go also depends on where in the world you are: in a lot of countries, the Google Pay app is becoming Google Wallet. That’s not the case in the US and Singapore, though — in those countries, Wallet will be a separate app, while Pay will stay around as “a payments-centered app that helps people pay friends and save and manage money.” In India, Google Pay is staying the same.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
:psyduck:

so which app is the one that lets you use your phone for nfc payment and store boarding passes and vaccine records and stuff? is that "wallet" already in the us?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

thanks for this. It sounds more insane than I had thought it could ever be.

Lysidas posted:

:psyduck:

so which app is the one that lets you use your phone for nfc payment and store boarding passes and vaccine records and stuff? is that "wallet" already in the us?

vaccine records and boarding passes will likely be put into wallet, while nfc payments will likely stay in pay, which will morph into the much unloved google pay 2.0.

I don't see why google insists on getting into the person-to-person payments field when venmo, paypal, zelle, apple pay (whose imessage integration is so cool), aliexpress, and other local systems already exist. It might be because they already have a foothold in some places and don't want to just abandon that userbase if there's a glimmer of hope for success.

The current older google pay (which I use all the time) already handles nfc payments and vaccine records just fine. I haven't tested boarding passes since I mainly used this phone during the pandemic.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A cool thing about Canada is that google pay, venmo, paypal, zelle, apple pay (whose imessage integration is so cool), aliexpress, and other local systems do not need to exist there because Canada has had the Interac network for decades, which you can use to send money to anyone with a Canadian bank account using just their email address, and there are no fees.

I understand that basically every country in the world except the USA has something similar. But americans like CHOICE

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

I don't see why google insists on getting into the person-to-person payments field when venmo, paypal, zelle, apple pay (whose imessage integration is so cool), aliexpress, and other local systems already exist.

those services don't funnel enough data about consumer spending habits directly back to the adwords division

also idk about other phones and i don't use my anroid often, but at least on mine there's literally nothing else that sort of replicates what apple pay does, so i'm happy i can use it to pay for stuff again instead of it just tracking my bills and poo poo without me asking

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

A cool thing about Canada is that google pay, venmo, paypal, zelle, apple pay (whose imessage integration is so cool), aliexpress, and other local systems do not need to exist there because Canada has had the Interac network for decades, which you can use to send money to anyone with a Canadian bank account using just their email address, and there are no fees.

I understand that basically every country in the world except the USA has something similar. But americans like CHOICE

zelle was originally created by a few major US banks before being sold to a neutral third party so it's the near equivalent of interac

and if you want to pay someone without a canadian bank account, you have your choice of paypal or apple cash

I think the only one that definitely doesn't work for person-to-person is venmo and google pay. Dunno about the chinese ones because I don't use those apps and I don't care enough about them

so yeah, americans like their choice, but canadians can have their choice too, as a treat

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

sb hermit posted:

zelle was originally created by a few major US banks before being sold to a neutral third party so it's the near equivalent of interac

and if you want to pay someone without a canadian bank account, you have your choice of paypal or apple cash

I think the only one that definitely doesn't work for person-to-person is venmo and google pay. Dunno about the chinese ones because I don't use those apps and I don't care enough about them

so yeah, americans like their choice, but canadians can have their choice too, as a treat

except zelle loving sucks because every bank has a slightly hosed up take on their implementation

my friend for example had his old cell phone number tied to receive zelle payments and no where in his bank’s app or on the website was there a zelle-specific settings area to edit it, nor does it automatically take whatever your contact phone number is from your profile

zelle apparently has QR codes now, but not every bank has implemented them

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Zelle should have just been a joint venture daughter company of every bank that participates in the US, and they could just have one Zelle app that every bank (that participates with it) provides an interface for rather than letting every dumb American bank bake in their own take on Zelle in all their lovely rear end apps

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sb hermit posted:

I'm wrong. Apple Cash is not available yet in Canada.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

except zelle loving sucks because every bank has a slightly hosed up take on their implementation

my friend for example had his old cell phone number tied to receive zelle payments and no where in his bank’s app or on the website was there a zelle-specific settings area to edit it, nor does it automatically take whatever your contact phone number is from your profile

zelle apparently has QR codes now, but not every bank has implemented them

this actually happened to my wife too, poo poo keeps asking her to check for a sms (despite the account being tied to an email address) she can't receive and therefore can't accept or send money. zelle is loving garbage

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Agile Vector posted:

that watch looks like a kickstarter most Google hardware projects that goes after silent two years of vague updates and no products

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
zelle is quite literally "boomer software" kuz its the thing baked into the b of a and wells fargo desktop web pages to send money. its dog poo poo.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
ive never gotten asked for "zelle" info from anyone under 900 years old or supremely stupid IRL

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have a client who is also a boomer ask me to help them set up zelle so they could receive payment from someone in the states. i took a look at it and told them to use paypal, because at least at the time there was no way to accept funds in a canadian bank account

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
zelle was great when i tried to use it years ago, i love paying several dollars worth of fees to transfer a few more dollars of money

banking in america sucks rear end

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Smythe posted:

ive never gotten asked for "zelle" info from anyone under 900 years old or supremely stupid IRL

can confirm, my insane Boomer Landlady demands we use Zelle

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Zelle is very easy to use, lol @ the old fogeys itt.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Venmo is ok but I prefer Paypal. I don't know if I'm setup to use Zelle but I've never done any transactions on it.

Apple Cash is real slick, though. Just SMS money everywhere.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I never had any troubles with Zelle with whatever bank I use, and it is 100% free? idk what people are talking about

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Zamujasa posted:

zelle was great when i tried to use it years ago, i love paying several dollars worth of fees to transfer a few more dollars of money

banking in america sucks rear end

zelle is loving trash but i've never been charged anything for using it, unlike paypal or venmo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

google watch's comically giant bezels are good, actually, since android users don't know anything better, and tech youtubers refuse to use them

bull3964 posted:

It actually doesn't. WearOS 3 doesn't work on iOS and Apple Watch doesn't work on Android.

People who chose to be platform locked due to the Apple Watch are doing it for the software ecosystem, not the hardware.

There is no hardware that Google can put out for a watch that will make it a viable alternative to the Apple Watch. Nothing. The sooner people understand that, the less disappointed they can be. This is why the Pixel watch never really mattered and if you wanted a decent Android watch you bought a Galaxy Watch 4 6 months ago.

Look at all the prominent tech YouTubers. They use an Android phone for their personal device and they have an iPhone and Apple Watch SPECIFICALLY to compete in fitness challenges. Unless Google pulls off a coup and gets Apple Fitness on a WearOS device, there's no overcoming that inertia.

All that aside, if you look at one of those apple watches face on and black out the case to match the display, the bezel sizes would be similar. I don't like the Pixel watch design because it's too minimalistic for my tastes and the design makes the bezels standout, but it doesn't really have any screen to body disadvantage.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my watch is casio

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

my watch is casio
the makers of the G'zOne phone

you have an impeccable eye for quality smythe

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
also smythe there is a big barbara kruger exhibition at the la county museum of art

you should go see it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

the makers of the G'zOne phone

you have an impeccable eye for quality smythe

fabulous device indeed

FMguru posted:

also smythe there is a big barbara kruger exhibition at the la county museum of art

you should go see it

ok ill go & not gently caress it up this time

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Smythe posted:

my watch is casio

i have an analog casio that sets itself via shortwave and charges via solar, it owns

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

i have an analog casio that sets itself via shortwave and charges via solar, it owns

cool

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
remember casio calculator watches? those were pretty nifty

FlapYoJacks posted:

lmao these bezels

:pwn:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Smythe posted:

lol yes

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I switched from Cox Gigablast to AT&T fiber and for the most part it's uneventful except the network doesn't seem to get clogged as much.

It comes with HBO Max which is worthless to me because I just watch Netflix.

It also comes with a 6 month free trial of Stadia Pro. I asked my roommate if he wanted it and he laughed for a good minute. But he did mention that supposedly it plays cyberpunk 2077 quite well.

Funny how these internet companies are trying to sweeten their deals with exclusive services that a lot of people don't want. At least they removed the data cap for now.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

I switched from Cox Gigablast to AT&T fiber and for the most part it's uneventful except the network doesn't seem to get clogged as much.

It also comes with a 6 month free trial of Stadia Pro. I asked my roommate if he wanted it and he laughed for a good minute. But he did mention that supposedly it plays cyberpunk 2077 quite well.

Funny how these internet companies are trying to sweeten their deals with exclusive services that a lot of people don't want. At least they removed the data cap for now.

lmao "cox gigablast" :gizz:

e: at&t owned hbo for some reason up until last month, i don't think it's that weird other than the "at&t owned hbo" part

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 13, 2022

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm just of a mind that these internet companies should just sell internet and not have vast media holdings.

They should also cut prices by 50% and the federal government should outlaw data caps but I'm not holding my breath for any of this.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

sb hermit posted:

I'm just of a mind that these internet companies should just sell internet and not have vast media holdings.

They should also cut prices by 50% and the federal government should outlaw data caps but I'm not holding my breath for any of this.

they should be nationalized and run as a public utility

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

sb hermit posted:

hbo max actually has a good library, especially when it comes to older films. i wouldn't pay for it separately, but since i get it for free with my internet service, it's fine

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

carry on then posted:

they should be nationalized and run as a public utility

if you look at the PMG system of various similar countries it seems exceedingly unlikely that this would be better than the status quo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

lmao how does this keep happening??