Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Alchenar posted:

I feel like this propaganda line that Ukrainian success shows what incredible things Russians could achieve if only they were led by Americans might be risking some unintended consequences

This does raise an interesting point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

KitConstantine posted:

We've been debating if it's genocide and Russia just...tweeted it out.

Excellent throwback :golfclap:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://mobile.twitter.com/sea_inside3/status/1524864715234721826

:prepop: Never interrupt your enemy…
https://mobile.twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1524813119620624385

https://mobile.twitter.com/sarahrainsford/status/1524758110287679488

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Putin being sick is obviously speculation entirely without further evidence but I gotta say it would make a lot of the decisions that happened in the past, and that are happening now make a lot more sense. The sense of urgency of the invasion, the "well lets keep going and hope for the best" decision making process, etc. It would make a lot of sense if Putin isn't gonna be here in 5 years and felt like he desperately needed to check one last box off for his legacy.

Barack Obama himself speculated something was going on with Putin, because he's never known him to gamble the entire farm recklessly.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i watched this footage, pretty hard to stomach. but the whole thing is incredibly casual on the part of the russian soldiers, exactly like villains in an eyeroll worthy hollywood blockbuster. it's unbelievable

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Putin being sick is obviously speculation entirely without further evidence but I gotta say it would make a lot of the decisions that happened in the past, and that are happening now make a lot more sense. The sense of urgency of the invasion, the "well lets keep going and hope for the best" decision making process, etc. It would make a lot of sense if Putin isn't gonna be here in 5 years and felt like he desperately needed to check one last box off for his legacy.

Barack Obama himself speculated something was going on with Putin, because he's never known him to gamble the entire farm recklessly.

I'll be so mad if there is so much death and destruction due to a despot's steroid-induced psychosis.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

This is beyond stupid. Like who are they even doing this for? They must know it sure as hell won't change Finland's mind, and if it's for internal propaganda why not just not, then say you did?

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i watched this footage, pretty hard to stomach. but the whole thing is incredibly casual on the part of the russian soldiers, exactly like villains in an eyeroll worthy hollywood blockbuster. it's unbelievable

Yeah. Seems to be a mix of no sleep, lots of booze, and lots of Russian propaganda about Ukrainians not being "people" and all the other people around you in your army constantly getting killed. But sill that's just some unbelievably horrible cruelty there.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

dr_rat posted:

This is beyond stupid. Like who are they even doing this for? They must know it sure as hell won't change Finland's mind, and if it's for internal propaganda why not just not, then say you did?

I'd say it's more defensive posturing than anything else. Finland joining NATO is something Putin has railed against for years. At the same time, it doesn't take much to recognize that Russia's invasion of Ukraine began with a troop buildup, maybe it's preemptive before Finish takes a more aggressive stance?

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Russia has been against Finland joining Nato since it's inception. So much that Nato probably didn't even want to risk having Finland in it when USSR existed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doesn't positioning troops on their border push Finland towards joining Nato ASAP holy poo poo guys I don't care what they ask for we gotta get this signed right now?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Looking forward to Chechnya's and Karelia's admissions to NATO in 2032

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The Lone Badger posted:

Doesn't positioning troops on their border push Finland towards joining Nato ASAP holy poo poo guys I don't care what they ask for we gotta get this signed right now?

Yeah, any rational government would see that, but rational government has not been happening for some time in Russia.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

There's always been troops there and Finnish NATO membership is a done deal, this is just posturing and honestly would be kinda weird if they didn't respond in that way.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

slowdave posted:

There's always been troops there and Finnish NATO membership is a done deal, this is just posturing and honestly would be kinda weird if they didn't respond in that way.

Well, Finland applying might be a done deal, but doesn't joining require the unanimous ascent of every existing member?

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

What exactly is this? It is a picture of a van? Russia has military bases next to Finnish borders anyway, why would they need to shuffle stuff all the way from Ukraine?

Edit: Oh yeah, there's more stuff behind the van. Still...

Context: Am Finnish, will head for a northern land border if need be.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, Finland applying might be a done deal, but doesn't joining require the unanimous ascent of every existing member?

It's Finland, any current NATO member state trying to block their entry would be committing political suicide by trying to stop them from joining.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
u mad bro?

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1524871034104647681

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Medvedev has been so obviously drunkposting since the beginning of the war its adorable how clunky he is at playing the hawk.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The Lone Badger posted:

Putin's actions leading directly to Russia going from having an eighth of its western border be with NATO countries to a full third makes me suspect he may not be the 5-D chess genius we've been led to believe.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

How dare you russophobically imply the possibility of a nuclear war! Anyway if you don't stop this we'll nuke u.

d64
Jan 15, 2003
A Chinese publication: "NATO’s northward expansion risks turning Europe into a new powder keg"

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202205/1265536.shtml

It sounds nutty but hey, maybe they actually have a more sober picture of what's the likely outcome of all this.

More seriously, it's telling that the piece does not even mention the war - but it does get one thing right. Whoever or whatever caused it, Finland is a big loser in this situation of worsening relations. Finland's economy is far more interlinked with Russia's than any Western European nation's is.

Regarding talk of Putin being very sick and possibly getting replaced soon, it seems very possible that with the way the ruling clique is set up, whoever replaces him will be even more hawkish and less inclined to democratic leadership. At least seems very much not a given it'd be the opposite.

If those sickness rumors are true, there is probably an intense 24/7 game going on with people close to him jockeying for position to inherit or usurp power. See Stalin's last years.

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013

It’s amazing that Russia lacks so much introspection that they can’t see why their yelling about nuclear weapons is falling on deaf ears. It seems like the entire country has given themselves brain damage from all the gas Europe no longer wants.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

d64 posted:

A Chinese publication: "NATO’s northward expansion risks turning Europe into a new powder keg"

It sounds nutty but hey, maybe they actually have a more sober picture of what's the likely outcome of all this.

More seriously, it's telling that the piece does not even mention the war - but it does get one thing right. Whoever or whatever caused it, Finland is a big loser in this situation of worsening relations. Finland's economy is far more interlinked with Russia's than any Western European nation's is.

Regarding talk of Putin being very sick and possibly getting replaced soon, it seems very possible that with the way the ruling clique is set up, whoever replaces him will be even more hawkish and less inclined to democratic leadership. At least seems very much not a given it'd be the opposite.

If those sickness rumors are true, there is probably an intense 24/7 game going on with people close him jockeying for position to inherit or usurp power. See Stalin's last years.

Good old china, NATO bad; also lets make our own

Also no they have no idea like the rest of this what the outcome of this will be. They do have a remarkably ignorant idea of european history, especially the recent part.

Despera fucked around with this message at 08:44 on May 13, 2022

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

d64 posted:

If those sickness rumors are true, there is probably an intense 24/7 game going on with people close to him jockeying for position to inherit or usurp power. See Stalin's last years.

He's also offed all the smart people around him, right?

(...Maybe we'll get a good sequel to "Death of Stalin" in a few decades?)

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

I get that Finland is a victim of geography but I still find it hard to feel too sorry for any country whose economic stability (or, more likely, morally questionable profit) is contingent upon a sociopathic tyrant keeping their crimes just decorous enough to avoid ruinous backlash - see also Germany

Re: succession chat, the first and primary necessity for any despot is to ensure the nullification of any potential rivals. Putin has achieved this and continues to maintain this, so if/when he goes, he will be replaced by someone who is very likely to be in a much weaker position (in terms of talent, resources, and alliances) and who will inherit the same tyrant's dilemma. A losing foreign war on your border and a hardening coalition of neighbouring hostile nations is not something any ruler usually wants to juggle at the same time as shoring up their tenuous claim to newly acquired power - inherited military adventurism is generally a bad idea for a brand new ruler unless they have a disproportionately powerful regional military and can achieve quick success to legitimise their rule

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

d64 posted:

If the cartoon didn't give it away, it's content-less propaganda from people checking boxes.

quote:

Finland and Sweden may now think that after joining NATO, they could receive protection from others. But be careful: Finland will be right at the forefront in the anti-Russia campaign. If anything goes wrong on the front line, Finland will be the first to face the consequences, Sun noted.
:cmon: Finland was already at the forefront, that's literally why they're joining NATO.

quote:

The fatal imbalance in the European security architecture has brought the continent to great disruption and catastrophe. This should offer a lesson to the Asia-Pacific.
Does the article go on to say that China should draw down its military to correct the security imbalance in the region, something they are apparently deeply concerned about?
You will be shocked to learn that it does not.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Finland is also a big loser if Russia decides Finland should be Russia

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
Yeah, I can’t imagine what happens to Russia after Putin dies. He is clearly not thinking about his successor and appears to have purged all competent administrators for corrupt and/or inept booklickers (see Shoigu).

With a completely disastrous foreign war, hostile foreign relations with literally the entire world, and a weak central government, I can’t see how Russia doesn’t have years of Dark Ages level of unrest.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Father Christmas very upset about people lying about gift wishlists

https://twitter.com/Falcon_Malteser/status/1524790757864968199?t=qAeMn3jDZwAxJEY3Yf6_eQ&s=19

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The sense of urgency could be from the demographic crisis Russia is facing. Even Putin had another 20 good years in him, the population contraction means that there won't be a better time than now to try this.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/01/03/russia-demography-birthrate-decline-ukraine/

"A brief glance at Russia’s population pyramid illustrates this knock-on effect. There are around 12.5 million Russians between the ages of 30 and 34 who were born around or just before the collapse of the Soviet Union. But there are around 6.5 million people between the ages of 20 and 24 who were born during the chaos of the late 1990s. This smaller base of people able to bear children means the birthrate is almost destined to decline. And that is exactly what has happened; after a brief period of natural population growth in the mid-2010s, Russia’s population once again began to contract in 2019. It will continue to do so well into the foreseeable future."

In addition to that, a more free, more prosperous Ukraine next door would lead to a brain drain as Russia's skilled workers emigrate somewhere better.

"Do nothing" would lead to bad results for Putin and "Reform a corrupt system" was clearly not on the table, so he tried for war again.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

jeffreyw posted:

Yeah, I can’t imagine what happens to Russia after Putin dies. He is clearly not thinking about his successor and appears to have purged all competent administrators for corrupt and/or inept booklickers (see Shoigu).

With a completely disastrous foreign war, hostile foreign relations with literally the entire world, and a weak central government, I can’t see how Russia doesn’t have years of Dark Ages level of unrest.

I think it's way too early to be talking seriously about what happens after Putin goes, that's something that could drag on for a long time and in the context of Ukraine's immediate future is largely irrelevant except as some daydream miracle

BUT I don't think a North Korea style result is likely for Russia in that case, even if the new power is a literal clone of Putin you still have the early days of being an unknown quantity where you can pretend to be a lot more amenable to constructive/repaired relationships, and the West is broadly disinterested in punitive or costly containment strategies - I reckon they'd jump at the opportunity to drop sanctions, reinstate trade, and just cry "but how could we have known??" once it goes to poo poo again. Post-Putin Russia could very well exploit this susceptibility to bad faith appeals to deescalation, giving minimal concessions until they feel ready to resume doing whatever lovely crimes they hold closest to their heart

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

There's a lot of garbage in everything Chomsky says there. Like claiming that Ukraine hasn't tried to negotiate, even though they have, and it was Russia who indicated that until Putin wants to, there's no point in it. This is even further than his previous nonsense where he was talking about how Ukraine's 'preconditions' was what was spoiling the negotiations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Stop elder abuse and let grandpa drink his herbal tea in peace without giving rambling useless interviews every week, he needs strength to outlive Kissinger yet

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

slowdave posted:

And in fact there are less troops near the border than ever because in most garrisons two thirds of battalions have been sent to Ukraine and they have also taken casualties there. There's nothing to worry, Finland is more than capable of protecting itself.

Dick Ripple
May 19, 2021
Noam looking rough these days.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Nenonen posted:

And in fact there are less troops near the border than ever because in most garrisons two thirds of battalions have been sent to Ukraine and they have also taken casualties there. There's nothing to worry, Finland is more than capable of protecting itself.

I mean, the fear with NATO Russia war was never really the ground forces.

https://twitter.com/russianforces/status/1524870096858009600

d64
Jan 15, 2003
Continuing on Fin/Swe NATO membership, now that the process is almost started officially, probably going to be more objections to it

https://twitter.com/WillRuger/status/1524723150327529474

Again, would suck if this take turned out correct!

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

d64 posted:

Continuing on Fin/Swe NATO membership, now that the process is almost started officially, probably going to be more objections to it

https://twitter.com/GarrisonMoratto/status/1524750817709895682

These people miss the point big time. Finland's military doesn't matter. All that stuff will be taken out pretty quick in the event of war when Russia escalates to deescalate.

The point is that it moves the nuclear trip wire further to protect another country. If a conflict actually happened of course it would be entirely destroyed as an entity, the point is preventing that in the first place.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

d64 posted:

That dude has literally zero power or influence or ability to object.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

DandyLion posted:

It won't matter, at the time they are expelled russia will be 50+ miles away at least (and with no more warfighting capability to do anything about it).

I would imagine the UA simply rounds them up and ships them back across the border.

Take them into custody and use them as bargaining chips to negotiate an exchange for qll the Ukrainians kidnapped and eent to Siberia.