Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the federal Election
This poll is closed.
Labor Majority 48 42.48%
Labor Minority 29 25.66%
Liberal Majority 3 2.65%
Liberal Minority 12 10.62%
UAP Majoirty 21 18.58%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dr_rat posted:

So the ballart courier has an article about it, but when I tried to open it, it just gave me the first sentence and a shitload of ads. Something about police operation to search for weapons. Possibly you'll have more luck :shrug:
https://www.thecourier.com.au/story/7736686/major-police-operation-in-ballarat-cbd-today/

yeah I cant get around the paywall. tried everything except going around my pi-hole because i cant be arsed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Taylor does have that quintessential seat-warmer look to him.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
angus taylor is probably most likely in that case, being one of the most senior figures from the right of the party in the lower house beyond dutton. tudge might have been a contender but lol

tehan also seems like a reasonable chance though, maybe karen andrews except i still can't really see the federal libs backing a woman for leader

no way in hell would it be hawke, he's morrison's closest ally and is absolutely despised by the other two factions for loving with nsw pre-selections

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Laserface posted:

Does anyone know what the gently caress is going on in Ballarat? There is some Hyper Intense cop presence, stopping anyone and everyone on the street with full authority to search persons/bags for anything illegal without a warrant.

my friend lives there and hes shown me some FB screenshots of tradies getting stopped on their way home and getting searched.

what the gently caress the purpose is, is totally missing from all the info on facebook.

There is a search everyone order in effect for twelve hours, per the declaration on this twit account I follow

https://twitter.com/vicpol_searches/status/1524245424814829568

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Isn't Angus Taylor too corrupt to be leader if Albo makes an ICAC, he's like at the center of a dozen scandals unless I'm mixing him up for someone else.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
yeah but that's the level of talent the liberals have

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

DRINK ME posted:

There is a search everyone order in effect for twelve hours, per the declaration on this twit account I follow

Is there anything that justifies this? they're stopping literally anyone with a bag according to my mate. hes just walking around filming everything from a distance in case something gets weird.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

lih posted:

maybe karen andrews except i still can't really see the federal libs backing a woman for leader

Unfortunately I thought she was a senator for some reason. Their current cabinet is very upper house heavy.

In all likelihood, since I'm never fortunate, it'll be some backbencher nobody's heard of.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Laserface posted:

Is there anything that justifies this? they're stopping literally anyone with a bag according to my mate. hes just walking around filming everything from a distance in case something gets weird.

yeah we live in a police state

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://www.news.com.au/national/fe...7d4418ec3284a49

quote:

Laura, a child care worker, is asked what her main issue is in the election.

“My key thing is getting rid of Scott Morrison. I don’t know the best way to go about that. I don’t know enough about it,’’ she says.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN

Laserface posted:

It’s been a while since I looked - I started following the account after a friend got searched in footscray a year or two back and we found out they publicise declared areas in advance. From this page there doesn’t seem to be much reason needed.

Vicpol posted:

Planned designated areas

Victoria Police may declare an area if the Chief Commissioner (or delegate) is satisfied that:

*there has been more than one act of violence or disorder with a weapon in the past 12 months and there is a likelihood that there will be violence or disorder with a weapon again

*there has been violence or disorder with a weapon at a previous event or celebration, this event is happening again and there is a likelihood that there will be violence or disorder with a weapon at this event again

Notice of this declaration is advertised in the Government Gazette and a daily newspaper at least seven days before the area is designated for searches to occur.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Pleasant Friend posted:

Isn't Angus Taylor too corrupt to be leader if Albo makes an ICAC, he's like at the center of a dozen scandals unless I'm mixing him up for someone else.

He is at the center of a dozen scandals, but also you could be mixing him up with someone else considering the current LNP.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

DRINK ME posted:

Anyone in the area who can get a duffel bag of dildos and quickly?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anidav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0MMrmteZfk

Can we all appreciate how desperate and cooked the lnp ad campaign guys are?

LNP copium hits different

Pleasant Friend posted:

Fantastic. Great move. Well done Angus

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Fantastic. Great move. Well done Angus

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

And then it happens. It’s the moment that occurs in just about every focus group, according to pollsters.

The voters raise the issue of the Mr Morrison’s family holiday while bushfires raged down Australia’s east coast.

Unprompted.

Sally, 25, is sitting in a striped T-shirt in her lounge. She’s still annoyed by the bushfire holiday 18 months after the event.

She lives in the electorate of Werriwa in Sydney’s western suburbs. She’s a carer. But she doesn’t find the Prime Minister very caring.

“Where was he? When there were bushfires? Wasn’t he in Hawaii or something?’’ says Sally.

“Like he just left the country. And that’s not how a leader should be. A leader should be like, ‘my country needs me’. Clearly he just …”

She trails off and shakes her head in disgust as another voter, Amanda, interrupts.

“He just wanted a holiday,’’ she says. She shakes her head too.

“Yeah,’’ says Sally. “I feel like he thinks he’s bigger than us, he’s looking down on the whole country. He feels he’s superior.”

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Fairfax's TERF Island/Plague Island correspondent takes a break from her busy schedule of writing about how authoritarian Australia's COVID policies are to interview the election's poster candidate for transphobia. Perhaps one day she'll file a story that relates to Britain somehow.

https://twitter.com/latikambourke/status/1524881724261343232

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
And the comments, of course, are flooded with the same 2-3 terfbots trying to hijack every reply demanding any fact checking in this fluff piece. I dunno why that bothers me as much as it does since it's bog standard bigotry practice but jesus christ I just wanna punch them through the internet.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

quote:

Today brings the end of Week Five, and confirmation that the Prime Minister has reached the bargaining phase in the crushing 360-degree employee review that this campaign has become.

These moments are never easy to witness. Here's how it happened.

In the at-risk Victorian Liberal electorate of Chisholm, whither the PM had repaired to fiddle with motherboards at a tech factory and wax lyrical about the Member for Chisholm, Gladys Liu, in front of an underwhelmed-looking cohort of lab-coated employees, the PM assumed the position for his daily press conference.

Sky News reporter Andrea Crothers — part of the travelling media pack well accustomed to the PM's fondness for avowing what "Australians know" to be true — slipped in a diabolically simple question.

"Prime Minister, isn't part of your problem that you keep telling them what they know, rather than listening?"

Now, asking Scott Morrison a question is easy. Getting an answer is harder. And more often than not, you get the answer to the question the PM would have liked you to ask, rather than the one you actually did.

And in this case, he started out by explaining that Australians know him for his strength and decisiveness during the pandemic. A classic interview manoeuvre from the "What's my weakness? Oh, I guess it's probably that I'm a workaholic" job interview school.

But having started talking, he somehow couldn't stop.

"I know [that] Australians know I can be a bit of a bulldozer when it comes to issues," he confided.

For a man who loves to be photographed hard-hattedly astride various pieces of heavy machinery, the revelation that to some extent he actually identifies as a vehicle feels… significant.

But it didn't stop there, either.

"As we go into this next period on the other side of the pandemic, I know things that are going to have to change with the way I do things," Mr Morrison continued.

For the entire time he's been in office, Mr Morrison's entire offering has been incumbency. "I'm the Prime Minister," he likes to remind people. As of today, however, he's prepared to be a different kind of guy, if we'll just give him another chance.

I'm going to change! I'll be different! I promise I'll stop hitting you sweetheart. I'm going to be a different man! That other PM wasn't the same PM I'll be next week! I promise you! I would never lie to you!

Clark and Dawe would have an epic version of t contrasting the current PM with the soon-to-be-elected-PM he says he will be. Totally different guy. But still strong. But different. In a good way. The old way was good too.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Laserface posted:

yeah I cant get around the paywall. tried everything except going around my pi-hole because i cant be arsed.

A major police operation will be conducted in Ballarat today, which will see a heavy presence in the Ballarat CBD.

The planned operation will see police from the Public Order Response Team, among others, swarm the streets in a highly-visible street blitz.

Advertisement

Ad

Sergeant Gerard Collihole from Melbourne's Public Order Response Team said people can expect a strong police presence within the Ballarat CBD.

"The area has been declared a designated area for the Control of Weapons Act so members will be approaching people at random within that area explaining to them that there is search provisions that apply until 10pm tonight," he said.

"It's not just about detecting people with weapons, it's about targeting everything that goes on within the declared area as a whole, so other things that may arise during the shifts like shop steals or public disorder incidents, road policing matters and members can attend to all that as well ... it's a holistic thing."

As part of the operation, police will have the powers to stop any person in a public place and search for weapons, without needing a search warrant.

The one-day blitz will run until 10pm on Friday.

The map below shows where the police will have the authority to search anybody.

The blitz will focus around the CBD, with the Ballarat train station and Bridge Mall area expected to be among the focal points.

Under the Controlled Weapons Act 1990, members of the police force are authorised to exercise the following powers:

- (a) in a public place in the designated area, without warrant, stop and search for weapons:

(i) any person;

(ii) anything in the possession or control of the person;

(iii) any vehicle with a person in or on the vehicle; and

(iv) anything in or on such vehicle.

Advertisement

Ad

- (b) detain a person or vehicle for so long as is reasonably necessary to conduct a search;

- (c) seize and detain any item the member reasonably suspects is a weapon; and

- (d) request a person who is the subject of a full search to disclose his or her identity, and (e) direct a person to leave the designated area if the police officer reasonably believes the person is wearing the face covering primarily to:

(i) conceal their identity; or

(ii) to protect them from the effects of a crowd control substance; and the person refuses to remove the face covering when requested to do so;

- (f) direct the person to leave the designated area if the police officer reasonably believes the person intends to engage in conduct that would constitute an affray or violent disorder.

Major police operation in Ballarat CBD today

Advertisement

Ad

Acting Senior Sergeant Paul Allen said police use data, including from community interactions, to determine the need for the operation.

"We get a number of community interactions with people, Neighbourhood Policing says that we interact more in the community, we get discussions with local businesses, we get all this feedback and it comes into data," he said.

"This is what its telling us, that people just want more police in this area - so we provide it with the assistance of the public order response.

"Within the first hour they've seized a knife off a person within Ballarat, so that shows straight up very quickly what our problems are - and we're on it immediately."

A missing person was also located through the first hour of the operation.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/bradpsychology/status/1524983273872494593

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Channel 7 claims that they have built a Super Computer, code named the Mirror of Dreams. They believe after a significant investment it will call election results faster and more accurately than Antony Green.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Will we have to rename the swimming pool?

Anidav posted:

Channel 7 claims that they have built a Super Computer, code named the Mirror of Dreams. They believe after a significant investment it will call election results faster and more accurately than Antony Green.

Garbage in, garbage out. For election stuff I really don't get what sort of computations they would be having it do that would make them more accurate. its an election of like 20 million voting pop(?). This stuff shouldn't be taxing for any reasonably modern computer. Probably going to sit there 99.9% idle most most of the time unless some one installed some malware on it that mines coins on it in the background.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 11:45 on May 13, 2022

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Scomo new tactic, act like a pathetic loser to gain sympathy votes.

"I can change after the election"

How many people needlessly suffering from DV have heard that before.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_0bRylRZg0

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 13, 2022

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Anidav posted:

So basically 4 interns and Excel spreadsheet?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Anidav posted:

The system goes online May 21, 2022. Human decisions are removed from election calling. DreamMirror begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 19:14 a.m. AEST, May 21st. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So basically 4 interns and Excel spreadsheet?

Excel? Try Lotus 1-2-3

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Channel 7 actually has 3 different supercomputers, but all three of them have to be in agreement before Mark Riley can call the election, you can see the system in action here:

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

They represent Kochie as a scientist, Kochie as a mother, and Kochie as a woman.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Kochsper
Mel-Doyle-Chior
Grantdenyersar

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
y'all are loving weebs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

GoldStandardConure posted:

y'all are loving weebs

:nyoron:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Bill Posters posted:

A major police operation will be conducted in Ballarat today, which will see a heavy presence in the Ballarat CBD.

The planned operation will see police from the Public Order Response Team, among others, swarm the streets in a highly-visible street blitz.

Advertisement

Ad

Sergeant Gerard Collihole from Melbourne's Public Order Response Team said people can expect a strong police presence within the Ballarat CBD.

"The area has been declared a designated area for the Control of Weapons Act so members will be approaching people at random within that area explaining to them that there is search provisions that apply until 10pm tonight," he said.

"It's not just about detecting people with weapons, it's about targeting everything that goes on within the declared area as a whole, so other things that may arise during the shifts like shop steals or public disorder incidents, road policing matters and members can attend to all that as well ... it's a holistic thing."

As part of the operation, police will have the powers to stop any person in a public place and search for weapons, without needing a search warrant.

The one-day blitz will run until 10pm on Friday.

The map below shows where the police will have the authority to search anybody.

The blitz will focus around the CBD, with the Ballarat train station and Bridge Mall area expected to be among the focal points.

Under the Controlled Weapons Act 1990, members of the police force are authorised to exercise the following powers:

- (a) in a public place in the designated area, without warrant, stop and search for weapons:

(i) any person;

(ii) anything in the possession or control of the person;

(iii) any vehicle with a person in or on the vehicle; and

(iv) anything in or on such vehicle.

Advertisement

Ad

- (b) detain a person or vehicle for so long as is reasonably necessary to conduct a search;

- (c) seize and detain any item the member reasonably suspects is a weapon; and

- (d) request a person who is the subject of a full search to disclose his or her identity, and (e) direct a person to leave the designated area if the police officer reasonably believes the person is wearing the face covering primarily to:

(i) conceal their identity; or

(ii) to protect them from the effects of a crowd control substance; and the person refuses to remove the face covering when requested to do so;

- (f) direct the person to leave the designated area if the police officer reasonably believes the person intends to engage in conduct that would constitute an affray or violent disorder.

Major police operation in Ballarat CBD today

Advertisement

Ad

Acting Senior Sergeant Paul Allen said police use data, including from community interactions, to determine the need for the operation.

"We get a number of community interactions with people, Neighbourhood Policing says that we interact more in the community, we get discussions with local businesses, we get all this feedback and it comes into data," he said.

"This is what its telling us, that people just want more police in this area - so we provide it with the assistance of the public order response.

"Within the first hour they've seized a knife off a person within Ballarat, so that shows straight up very quickly what our problems are - and we're on it immediately."

A missing person was also located through the first hour of the operation.

Wow! A knife within the first hour and a missing person! How many pissed off people did they find?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
https://twitter.com/Mark_Clayton1/status/1524936756746780672

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

:downsbravo:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Eediot Jedi posted:

Wow! A knife within the first hour and a missing person! How many pissed off people did they find?

really grabbing at straws throwing the disoriented old person with dementia in to justify it. Its not like it was going to be a kidnapped child or something.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

The whole point is they're not a political party

That seat is Liberal held and they're encouraging people to put both Labor and the Greens above the libs in the order they see fit

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/kevinbonham/status/1525078806599348224

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The whole point is they're not a political party

That seat is Liberal held and they're encouraging people to put both Labor and the Greens above the libs in the order they see fit

Don't try to reason with the Twitter post