Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Lol how many loving cartoons did he put out about bitcoin being the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I looked into Bitcoin and concluded it was a ponzi scheme and a scam and it turns out I was right about this all along, also I really wish I'd bought in because it turns out I'm even worse at gambling with precious metals

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

put your money in gold and silver but NOT if they're in metal disc form

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

bunnyofdoom posted:

Lol how many loving cartoons did he put out about bitcoin being the best

Probably commissions, because he will draw absolutely anything for some fiat money to absolve him from his debts lol

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

VitalSigns posted:

I looked into Bitcoin and concluded it was a ponzi scheme and a scam and it turns out I was right about this all along, also I really wish I'd bought in because it turns out I'm even worse at gambling with precious metals

"I wish I had bought into this one pyramid scheme when I could have been at the top instead of pissing away all of my money on the bottom of this other pyramid scheme"

Scams are all about timing and luck, 4 people get rich to every 400,000 or more that lose everything.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I dont know posted:

This is a comic strip. You shouldn't have the characters describe the thing they are looking at, just show it. There is no reason not to have a few extras wearing orange. You can just reuse some old clip art and the fill tool.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Roberts writing the opinion in McCullen v. Coakley: Haha gently caress yeah!!! Yes!!
Roberts with protesters within a 35-foot buffer zone around his house: Well this loving sucks. What the gently caress.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

On the debate on the minimum wage, where Albanese says he would like to see it rise by a dollar per hour to match inflation and Morrison is screaming blue murder over the idea. Earlier in the campaign Scott Morrison said Albanese doesn't have a "magic pen" to increase wages.

Letch:

Wilcox:

That's Scott Morrison describing things he has and hasn't done.

Shakespeare:

Katherine Deves, the transphobic candidate Scott Morrison hand picked to run, hovering behind the railing. 'Not my fault' if moderate Liberals lose seats: Katherine Deves (SMH).

Warren Brown:

Lethbridge:

Scott Morrison said Alan Tudge will be education minister if they win the election. Tudge is currently hiding as questions are still swirling about the ex-staffer he had an affair with who alleges he was abusive and was paid $500k in taxpayer money for reasons not yet disclosed.

Leak, Son of Leak:

YouGov poll says at the moment Labor would win a majority of seats. The choice between steak and mince meat was a line Albanese said in the third debate regarding a minimum wage rise.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Lisa Benson

Stuart Carlson

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

Al Goodwyn

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

KAL

Steve Kelley

Kevin Necessary

Marty Two Bulls

Michael Ramirez

A Movie Happened

Marshall Ramsey

Drew Sheneman

Jeff Stahler

Scott Stantis

Dana Summers

Gary Varvel

Matt Wuerker

Tony Branco

quote:

American Babies First: We’re spending billions for Ukraine and for feeding and housing illegal aliens but can’t provide Formula for our own babies.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Raised By Birds posted:

Stuart Carlson

This needs an edit, and it wouldn't take much.

Kellies nomination: Most uncomfortably naked political party

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The baby formula shortage was caused by a bacterial infection, right? Like, as far as I can tell this isn't a break down in the supply chain this was caused by the product actively being recalled after two infants died.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The baby formula shortage was caused by a bacterial infection, right? Like, as far as I can tell this isn't a break down in the supply chain this was caused by the product actively being recalled after two infants died.

To be more accurate, it was caused by the plant being negligent and unhygienic because it made them more money to not do things correctly and safely

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Branco almost certainly blames it on formula needed for the concentration camps on the border, and sees it as Biden stealing formula form Americans to give to illegals. As opposed to just doing the bare minimum to keep people we're unjustly imprisoning alive. Even if Trump went with the Branco approved method of killing migrant kids it wouldn't make up for the shortfall caused by the Abbott plant contamination, and there's no way Trump would have done anything to stop the plant contamination.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

The high cheekbones and small eyes help the elephant really nail the Mitch McConnell look while still keeping it distinctly as an elephant.

A Good Caricature, or AGC for short.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Did she bring the l'il sign with her to the store, or can conservatives in the brancoverse conjure signs into existence as needed à la Wile E. Coyote?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

And here I thought that conservatives were against a nanny state.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

A Movie Happened

Two of these are unspecific and don't really mean anything, two more are things that never actually got made into law, and at least one of them is actually because of Republicans not taking covid seriously and causing it to drag out longer than it would have otherwise. Two of them are something both parties support (I would call overturning women's rights "big government," and Republicans loving love spending billions on the military) and one of them is something that has nothing to do with the economy.

So like, yeah, ultimately Republicans carry the most blame.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

SubG posted:

Did she bring the l'il sign with her to the store, or can conservatives in the brancoverse conjure signs into existence as needed à la Wile E. Coyote?

Conservatives don’t want women to have a voice, but they’ll begrudgingly allow sign bearing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lotsa layers here; a summary follows. At the outset, note because of exactly this sort of microbiological contamination issue, infant formula is one of the most heavily regulated food areas. Conversely, FDA's been able to do very little inspection work during Covid (and is of course incredibly, stupidly underfunded).

1. The shortage is caused by a combination of supply chain issues, the recall, and layers of bullshittery by Abbott, the manufacturer. FDA's actual recall was for a relatively small set of brands/products (though still enough for it to cause problems), and didn't include any of the real specialty medical food products that Abbott is the exclusive manufacturer of, and which are the most pressing supply issue.

2. The degree of general infant formula shortage appears to be getting magnified by anti-regulation groups like Cato and the right wing, which are trying to blame this on Biden, somehow. Stats reporting on actual shortage rates are pretty mixed, and as above, it's unclear how much is supply chain issues and how much is the recall.

3. Abbott performed some separate voluntary recalls before the formal recall occurred. "Voluntary" here means FDA told them to issue the recalls, which is a practice the agency usually follows first to let companies save face and let the agency save money on enforcement actions and defending against lawsuits from the companies.

4. Abbott is blaming the FDA recall for all shortages of all product lines, in part by taking advantage of how the agency has very little ability to legally talk about the details of an ongoing investigation. I can't actually tell if production has halted on all of the products being tied to the recall or not. It's possible that after the initial recall, Abbott discovered that their lovely practices were affecting a much broader set of products, which would explain why there's shortages of these other products.

5. FDA's being blamed for all this, but you can see how they're in an impossible bind: they're being blamed for both restricting access to the formula with all their damned safety regs, and for not enforcing the regulations harder/keeping the products safe.

6. FDA ran a routine inspection of the facility last fall. This resulted in warnings about needing to improve bacterial infection monitoring and safeguards, but no serious disciplinary action. According to a whistleblower, Abbott was manipulating or misrepresenting their safety practices during the inspection, complete with some "I can't believe they fell for it!" correspondence.

7. FDA isn't coming out of this clean, either- the whistleblower warning was supposedly sent around to a few people at FDA last year, before the outbreak and deaths, and it's not clear the agency was acting on it. From what indirect coverage I've seen, the warning was accurate and serious, but it looks like the sender sent it direct to random officials rather than through the proper channels, which may be why it wasn't followed up on fast (if at all).

8. An additional layer of messiness is that the whistleblower warning coverage is...very suspiciously timed. There's been a recent set of moves to promote the idea that the food division of FDA is badly organized (true) and should instead be structured entirely under a particular executive at the agency (a guy with deep industry ties and an advocate for things like "let's privatize inspections!" and "supply chain tracing on the blockchain!"). The main thrust of this push was a big article in Politico a few weeks back. I discuss the issues with the article here. Politico also got oddly exclusive, detailed reporting on the whistleblower, who supposedly sent their information to every one of this guy's rivals, but not him.

9. The first coverage of the whistleblower from Politico (which is where I got the content that made the warnings look accurate and serious) immediately tried to tie it to this whole effort to promote the exec. All the subsequent articles about the shortage/recall dropped that angle, which suggests the situation's changed behind the scenes somehow.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 13, 2022

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: E Pluribus Nada

Ted Rall posted:

If a two-party democratic system is to be viable, it has to have a basic shared set of facts, values and issues about which people may differ, and should differ, about solutions. At this point in time, however, the United States doesn’t qualify because the American people are obsessed about totally different things depending on their political orientation.

First Dog on the Moon: Did First Dog on the Moon help Scott Morrison win? And other election quandaries

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: E Pluribus Nada

Republicans, famously not obsessed with abortion. Rall is such a stupid mother fucker

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hey, guess who isn't dead yet! Unfortunately!

https://twitter.com/drybonescartoon/status/1524819697774080002

Kellies nomination: Worst Overall

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Imagine drawing that and not feeling scummy, like scum

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Let it not be said that Kirchen spent even a second not being poo poo.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
the auspol cartoons seem to be making a big deal of these teal independent people. are they actually good people or have any chance of being elected or what, what's the d&d gossip on them

also holy poo poo kirschen what the gently caress made you think drawing a dead journalist like that was a good idea

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Angepain posted:

the auspol cartoons seem to be making a big deal of these teal independent people. are they actually good people or have any chance of being elected or what, what's the d&d gossip on them

also holy poo poo kirschen what the gently caress made you think drawing a dead journalist like that was a good idea
Kirschen is just a man who loves genocide. He works for a newspaper owned by a guy currently in the administration doing the genocide.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Angepain posted:

Kirschen doesn't consider arabs to be human, makes it easy to be this poo poo.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Imagine drawing that and not feeling scummy, like scum

Isn't this the guy who lovingly drew Assad gassing his own people like he was a hero for doing so, or did I fall for that being an edit?

Why's he even feel the need to claim it wasn't the IDF that shot her? Like they themselves haven't even stated as much as far as I've seen and they literally just raided her funeral. Kirschen's a real POS out loud whenever it's a day he can't just copy+paste a drawing of himself dancing because it's a holiday

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Isn't this the guy who lovingly drew Assad gassing his own people like he was a hero for doing so, or did I fall for that being an edit?

Why's he even feel the need to claim it wasn't the IDF that shot her? Like they themselves haven't even stated as much as far as I've seen and they literally just raided her funeral. Kirschen's a real POS out loud whenever it's a day he can't just copy+paste a drawing of himself dancing because it's a holiday

He drew one of Assad as a fumigator, but we didn't settle on the intention of it, which could be read as "a thing happened," an endorsement, or critical (after all, Assad's not in the IDF).

edit:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

Same cognitive dissonance as a Holocaust denier. "We didn't kill this person, but it would be good if we had".

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

He drew one of Assad as a fumigator, but we didn't settle on the intention of it, which could be read as "a thing happened," an endorsement, or critical (after all, Assad's not in the IDF).

edit:

Oh yeah that's the one, it's probably not intellectually honest of me but I default to whatever the worst possible interpretation could be with this guy because, well, how often would I be wrong in doing so

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

Oh yeah that's the one, it's probably not intellectually honest of me but I default to whatever the worst possible interpretation could be with this guy because, well, how often would I be wrong in doing so

With the poo poo he puts out it is hard to blame you.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Raised By Birds posted:

Michael Ramirez

Ah yes, "extreme policies" such as

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Kellies nomination: Worst Overall
Seconded, if I didn't know Kirschen then I'd think that was a parody Kelly attempt with the worst cartoon idea with the worst execution.

Angepain posted:

They're small l-liberals who probably would have fit into an actual broad church Liberal party if it hadn't lurched to the right over the last three decades and was overly hostile to women. The thing is they are running in what are traditionally blue ribbon safe Liberal seats - ones which have always gone Liberal, absolute plum seats reserved for those with leadership ambitions - but they are ones where the voters want moderate Liberals like Malcolm Turnbull and very much not Scott Morrison.

There are a whole bunch of cartoons about them because the teals very much have a chance of being elected or at least everything the Liberals are doing suggest they are extremely afraid of this. They have a better shot in the Australian preferential voting system than in FPTP voting - if the Liberal incumbent's vote drops below 45% then a teal independent who comes second with 25% or so has a good chance because the rest is probably voting teal over Liberal.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Electricity? That'll never catch on!

Korthal
May 26, 2011

I work for WIC, so here's what I have gleaned. The factory that produces all the Alimentum and some other formulas shut down because there were reports that two infants died from salmonella. No formula that was sealed had been found with any contamination, but they recalled it all just in case. Alimentum is a gross formula for babies (and some adults) who are allergic to everything. It's actually kind of gross, because all the proteins and carbs are predigested so it actually smells like vomit. Anyways, this meant that all the parents who had this ultra specialized formula had to turn to Enfamil's Nutramegin. Unfortunately there wasn't enough Nutramegin, and then some rumors started that there was a shortage of all formula. Remember Toilet Paper in 2020? Panic buying has to be the #1 reason for the shortage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah they're called power lines you dipshit.