Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

harperdc posted:

Looks like Motorsport wrote about that engine, the Porsche 3512, a couple years ago, and it looks like there is a McLaren anecdote in there.

lmao 'sign the Honda contract' just direct like that.

lol and then they went to arrows, told them they were the problem and secretly tried to get their main investor to buy jordan instead lol

holy poo poo

and then they apparently cut off 2 cylinders and shoved it in the carrera GT and called it a day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

so uhhhh who wanted red bull and who wanted mclaren again?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Climate change makes me question my F1 future says Vettel as he talks Putin, Brexit and more

https://www.racefans.net/2022/05/13/climate-change-makes-me-question-my-f1-future-admits-vettel-as-he-talks-putin-brexit-and-more/

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

lol and then they went to arrows, told them they were the problem and secretly tried to get their main investor to buy jordan instead lol

holy poo poo

and then they apparently cut off 2 cylinders and shoved it in the carrera GT and called it a day?

quote:

"They approached me after the teams they wanted didn't want to do it," [Arrows founder/Footwork boss Jackie] Oliver recalls. "We had two choices. There was the new small Ford HB V8, or the Porsche. I told Ohashi of those two options, and he said, 'Porsche!' I said, 'It costs more money.' 'It doesn't matter...' Stars came into his eyes."

lmao of course the rich Japanese dude wanted to go Porsche.

I don't think they just lopped the cylinders off, it was probably a more modern design, and I do remember it was supposed to be in the LMP car that Porsche skipped in favor of the Cayenne SUV development.

I also trust that they might trust their F1 partners a little more when it comes to the engine design this time...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ArmZ posted:

Climate change makes me question my F1 future says Vettel as he talks Putin, Brexit and more

https://www.racefans.net/2022/05/13/climate-change-makes-me-question-my-f1-future-admits-vettel-as-he-talks-putin-brexit-and-more/

I did actually subject myself to this because I wanted to hear what Seb had to say, and the way it's being portrayed as if he's on the verge of leaving was not how he actually answered this question at all.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

harperdc posted:

lmao of course the rich Japanese dude wanted to go Porsche.

I don't think they just lopped the cylinders off, it was probably a more modern design, and I do remember it was supposed to be in the LMP car that Porsche skipped in favor of the Cayenne SUV development.

I also trust that they might trust their F1 partners a little more when it comes to the engine design this time...

its pretty funny they wanted TAG to use their name the first time because they were scared of looking like idiots if the engine sucked, and then proceeded to do exactly that the second time

nerox
May 20, 2001

Someone pay him $500 so he can send the F1 thread his opinions on watches, rice cookers, cast iron, and Hamilton's fraud status.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Thanks Ants posted:

as if he's on the verge of leaving was not how he actually answered this question at all.

might not be up to him

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
F1 has to be one of the least environmentally friendly sports that exists today. If a driver actually cared enough about the environment to actually give up their extravagant lifestyle I would be surprised.

Then again most of these drivers have no self awareness at all, so maybe he believes it

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

harperdc posted:

the Las Vegas race supposedly happening in or around Thanksgiving weekend will make for a very interesting question both for people going to the race and also for viewership over that weekend. Remember, that's also apparently going to be a Saturday night race too.

Saturday night race on the west coast, Sunday starting time of 1am on the east (!)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

daslog posted:

F1 has to be one of the least environmentally friendly sports that exists today. If a driver actually cared enough about the environment to actually give up their extravagant lifestyle I would be surprised.

And that’s mostly from the whole “World Championship with races all over” factor than anything else. Shipping all that freight in a very not-optimized way around the world two or three times in a year is massively environmentally unfriendly.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
What a dire schedule of races. Miami, Spain and Monaco.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Nowher posted:

What a dire schedule of races. Miami, Spain and Monaco.

I've found that playing video game tracks changes how I view the real races. I didn't like spain or Cota but they are fun to drive so now I like them in real life.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

ArmZ posted:

I've found that playing video game tracks changes how I view the real races. I didn't like spain or Cota but they are fun to drive so now I like them in real life.

Bernie would be rolling in his grave right now

if he would ever die

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

ArmZ posted:

yeah, on the one hand I do remember a long, 20-year procession of Spanish GPs that aren't great, but on the other, that is definitely a fun challenge in the F1 games or others. and they might get the chicane-less version back as a Grade 1 circuit? that would be nice.

also I'm glad you can now choose a shorter season in the F1 game careers because skipping Monaco is a time-honored tradition.

boop the snoot posted:

Bernie would be rolling in his grave right now

if he would ever die

god, this.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
i have mario kart on the switch. which tracks resemble spain and monaco the most?

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
Monaco is the SNES Rainbow Road for sure.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Nowher posted:

Monaco is the SNES Rainbow Road for sure.

What part of Monaco do you leap off the track to take a shortcut?

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I always felt that the Monaco tunnel exit should have a ramp to clear the chicane.

nerox
May 20, 2001
If F1 drivers are playing Mario Kart 64. Which driver is the rear end in a top hat who is going to jump the walls in Wario Stadium to do 10 second laps?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

nerox posted:

If F1 drivers are playing Mario Kart 64. Which driver is the rear end in a top hat who is going to jump the walls in Wario Stadium to do 10 second laps?

Literally all of them

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

nerox posted:

verstappen obviously

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I have a ceramic coated weed grinder so it doesn't get all grody, and also probably releases some awful chemicals into my lungs so I die a tragic, young death.

live young, die fast

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

harperdc posted:

And that’s mostly from the whole “World Championship with races all over” factor than anything else. Shipping all that freight in a very not-optimized way around the world two or three times in a year is massively environmentally unfriendly.

ehhh, to be honest the logistics doesn't bother me as much as the sheer waste the tires generate tbh. You just can't recycle them in any good way and its just a giant lump of steel, rubber and a shitload of volatile chemicals that gets used for like 30 minutes then thrown out.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Lots of bad coffee opinions ITT.

italian quid posted:

Mustard did you get your coffee grinder from eight ounce coffee?

The Baratza I got from Espressotec and the Timemore I just got off Amazon because at this point I'm 100% WFH so I'm never in the city anymore .

nerox posted:

Someone pay him $500 so he can send the F1 thread his opinions on watches, rice cookers, cast iron, and Hamilton's fraud status.

I was genuinely thinking about getting Will Buxton to do a Cameo for the thread because I've wasted $50 on dumber things, but I don't want to put him through the torture of having to read this shithouse thread.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

I was genuinely thinking about getting Will Buxton to do a Cameo for the thread because I've wasted $50 on dumber things, but I don't want to put him through the torture of having to read this shithouse thread.

He deserves it

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MustardFacial posted:

Lots of bad coffee opinions ITT.

The Baratza I got from Espressotec and the Timemore I just got off Amazon because at this point I'm 100% WFH so I'm never in the city anymore .

Its weird how WFH full time has completely reframed going out to buy poo poo as a complete pain in the rear end now lol

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

italian quid posted:

Its weird how WFH full time has completely reframed going out to buy poo poo as a complete pain in the rear end now lol

before covid getting into a restaurant on a weekday was still a 30 minute wait so two years of not doing that has broken me of ever wanting to wait around again.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

italian quid posted:

I haven't stepped foot in a grocery store in over a year. I can't even fathom spending multiple hours of my life doing shopping like that anymore.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

your friend wicka posted:

I haven't stepped foot in a grocery store in over a year. I can't even fathom spending multiple hours of my life doing shopping like that anymore.

I'm like a five minute walk from a grocery store now so usually I'll just run down right after work and grab what if anything I need for dinner but I completely kiboshed costco, the whole thing feels like a massive time sink and like I'm a cattle on the slaughter line the whole time.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Cimber posted:

I just made my kids watch the 'SuperMax' youtube video.

I presume CPS was called on you shortly after you clicked play on the video

Rhopunzel posted:

holy poo poo

Long story short, yeah that's what Porsche got up to, but not after completely overhauling the engine internally and in secrecy as an "engineering exercise". I did a full writeup on the CGT and how it came to be, as we had one available in our showroom back in February. My first few versions of the write up took a big ol' poo poo on the 3512 before final editing.

quote:

The deep roots of the Carrera GT can be traced back to the late 1980s, when Porsche was supplying Formula 1 teams with a dominant Techniques d’Avant Garde badged 1.5L turbocharged V6 engine. With engine regulation changes looming on the horizon, legendary Porsche engineer Hans Mezger would lead the charge for the development of a 3.5L, naturally-aspirated V12 engine. Known as “Type 3512,” this new V12 powered the Footwork Arrows Formula 1 team for the 1991 season. Type 3512 would be Porsche’s swan song in Formula 1, as the 1991 season culminated with Porsche’s departure, and Porsche has yet to return.

Back at Stuttgart, having watched all top-tiers of motorsport transition to naturally-aspirated V10 engines, Porsche decided to reengineer Type 3512 in secrecy over a period of 3 years. At the direction of Horst Hachart, this project would be undertaken by Herbert Ampferer, transforming Type 3512 into a 3.0L V10 unit producing an astonishing 760HP. Porsche treated the redesign as an engineering study exercise to explore their prowess, and prove to themselves that they were still capable of producing an engine fit for the highest levels of motorsport at the time. Upon its completion, however, the reworked Type 3512-based V10 engine was shelved, not seeing the light of day again until 1998.

Porsche’s success in Group C and GT1 was nothing short of legendary, with the 956/962 remaining the most successful sports racing prototype of all time, and the 911 GT1 extending that dominance through the late nineties. The winds of change were approaching by then, with the retiring of “production-based” GT1-class racers giving way to the birth of the dedicated prototypes, leading Porsche to begin secret development of a LMP900-class car to compete in the 2000 season, beginning life under the designation “9R3.” Aptly named the LMP2000, Porsche dusted off the previously shelved Type 3512-based V10 and installed at its core - with displacement increased from a modest 3.0L to a monstrous 5.5L in compliance with the LMP1 engine regulations, as well as a revised valvetrain.

After a few tedious months of development, Project 9R3 produced a single running prototype which would spend two days testing at Porsche’s revered Weissach test track. At the masterful hands of racers Allan McNish and Bob Wollek, the LMP2000 set the overall track record and was received with great praise from the drivers. Despite the success reported in testing, in May of 1999, Porsche’s CEO informed the Project 9R3 team that the LMP2000 was to be canceled, as the team's budget was reallocated to the development and production of the nascent Cayenne SUV. Porsche would squirrel away the LMP2000 into the deepest corner of it’s storage and deny its existence until 2017.

Not all was lost with the cancellation of Project 9R3, however. To generate buzz at the 2000 Paris Auto Show, Porsche decided to develop a road-going supercar concept around the core of Project 9R3, which it dubbed “Carrera GT.” With scintillating good looks and weapons-grade motorsport DNA underneath, the Carrera GT Concept was an immediate sensation, with well heeled Porsche customers demanding its’ production. At this time, Ferrari and Mercedes were in a supercar arms race, with the Enzo Ferrari and McLaren SLR both deep into development. Not one to be outshone by their competitors, Porsche tapped into the dividends of the Cayenne SUV project to fund the creation of the Carrera GT Concept into road-going reality.

Penned by Harm Lagaay, who had already made his mark at Porsche with the 968 and 993, the road going Carrera GT represented the pinnacle of Porsche Motorsports engineering and design of the time. Featuring a carbon fiber monocoque and subframe produced by ATR Composites Group of Italy, the howling, Type 3512-based V10 now bored and stroked to 5.7L making 605HP mounted amidships, mated to a slick-shifting 6-speed manual driving the rear wheels, the Carrera GT was the stuff of motorsports dreams. The interior was executed to perfection, devoid of any gimmicks, simplistic and elegant while being ergonomically efficient, with a beautiful beechwood shift knob serving as a love letter to Porsche’s legendary 917 racer, further cementing the Carrera GT’s Le Mans bloodline.

Met with the highest praise by motoring journalists across the world, the Carrera GT was an instant success and a “last of its kind” supercar, setting the bar stratospherically high for a true analog driving experience. “You'd have to dig to find much else about the Carrera GT that isn't thoroughly wonderful,” Motor Trend would note. Evo Magazine would go on to state, “That V10 is an absolute masterpiece. So free-revving and instantaneous, so responsive to the most minute throttle inputs, you don't so much drive the Carrera GT as play it like an instrument,” concluding their 2005 review with, “More demanding and less forgiving, the Carrera GT is a racer at heart, cohesion building in line with your commitment.” An instant icon, the Carrera GT was immediately one of Porsche’s greatest hits, with worldwide adoration only continuing to increase to this day.

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 13, 2022

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
A grocery store opened up the street from me a few days ago and it has a full service bar inside.

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

boop the snoot posted:

A grocery store opened up the street from me a few days ago and it has a full service bar inside.

nice, love to get a handy while i'm deliberating which rice to buy

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

italian quid posted:

ehhh, to be honest the logistics doesn't bother me as much as the sheer waste the tires generate tbh. You just can't recycle them in any good way and its just a giant lump of steel, rubber and a shitload of volatile chemicals that gets used for like 30 minutes then thrown out.

If you’re talking about the amount of carbon put out, the logistics should bother you. Flights are big time polluters (what was the stat, the running of an entire GP weekend by the cars put together is about the same as a single trans-Atlantic flight?) and cargo ships are still using extremely nasty bunker fuel that makes Euro V and VI level diesel fuels look squeaky clean by comparison.

I do understand the waste of tires, and I think that’s partially why it looks like there will be changes to the qualifying rules to require running on all three sets during dry quali sessions.

GramCracker posted:

I did a full writeup on the CGT and how it came to be, as we had one available in our showroom back in February. My first few versions of the write up took a big ol' poo poo on the 3512 before final editing.

This is awesome (though of course a shame you couldn’t dunk on the 3512 too much).

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Nowher posted:

I always felt that the Monaco tunnel exit should have a ramp to clear the chicane.

Formula E could do this by setting up the boost zone or whatever they are called in the tunnel.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

MustardFacial posted:

Same, but I couldn't figure out how to post it anonymously :xd:

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Which formula 1 driver would be best to read Tony's posts?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Rumor has it only 4 of the drivers can actually read.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

harperdc posted:

If you’re talking about the amount of carbon put out, the logistics should bother you. Flights are big time polluters (what was the stat, the running of an entire GP weekend by the cars put together is about the same as a single trans-Atlantic flight?) and cargo ships are still using extremely nasty bunker fuel that makes Euro V and VI level diesel fuels look squeaky clean by comparison.

I do understand the waste of tires, and I think that’s partially why it looks like there will be changes to the qualifying rules to require running on all three sets during dry quali sessions.

This is awesome (though of course a shame you couldn’t dunk on the 3512 too much).

Logistics is absolutely the greater of 2 evils but also largely out of its hands until the EU starts mandating plane boat emissions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

spaceblancmange posted:

Which formula 1 driver would be best to read Tony's posts?

Previously I would have said Mazapin, but of active drivers Lance Stroll. He has the whole sister thing going on.