Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

pogi posted:

. I’m in a field I like, doing work I feel fulfilled by.

this is used to under pay you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

i say swears online posted:

it's been impossible to hang out with my friends downtown the last couple years just because they go to expensive places but i'm finding it super hard to show up at bbqs and pool parties now too because we just have zero in common

Why aren't they hooking you up with a job that pays well like them?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

wolfs posted:

wrong motherfucker

see: FEMA Homeowner’s Guide to Retrofitting, chapter 7

glass blocks rule

you said flooding resistance is not flood damage resistance

if you're already resigned to your house filling with floodwater, well i have some bad news about how much poo is in floodwater

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

that chart once again shows the supremacy of tile

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
it's all of it btw, all of the poo

floodwater is sewage

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
We have an entire unused, unheated, uninsulated second floor that could be two bedrooms and a bathroom if we weren't poor :sigh:.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you said flooding resistance is not flood damage resistance

if you're already resigned to your house filling with floodwater, well i have some bad news about how much poo is in floodwater

I’m resigned to living within 500 feet of a creek called “Dry Creek” AND that the climate is a-changing

anyways

glass bricks are wet flood proofing

That document also goes over dry flood proofing where you keep the water out

also yes tile is a winning material

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

glass brick and concrete are the ideal construction materials

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Joey Steel posted:

Why aren't they hooking you up with a job that pays well like them?

my internalized "more money = better than" has murdered my self esteem and I wallow in pity instead of improving things because it seems so daunting. I see my friends in do-nothing makework jobs and honestly tell myself I couldn't do it; I've never worked in an office or gotten a salary before and I'm 37 so it all seems so impossible because I graduated into the 2008 recession and nothing ever gets better

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

wolfs posted:

That document also goes over dry flood proofing where you keep the water out

without digging out my copies of the fema flood books, i can tell you that the portion where this is discussed involves a huge caveat where they explain how floodproofing your house in that way is a good method of floating it down the street, particularly if you're on the gulf coast and live in a pier and beam construction house

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

IAMKOREA posted:

I mean do it, you totally can dude. If you can get through calc and diffy q you can learn to code well enough to get a job in a few months. Highly recommend Harvard's cs50, it got me a job

what job did it get you? pleasure share your journey. I am interested and looking for hope.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lol

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

my internalized "more money = better than" has murdered my self esteem and I wallow in pity instead of improving things because it seems so daunting. I see my friends in do-nothing makework jobs and honestly tell myself I couldn't do it; I've never worked in an office or gotten a salary before and I'm 37 so it all seems so impossible because I graduated into the 2008 recession and nothing ever gets better

yeah but like most people when they get more money just kind of spend more money on poo poo they don't really need, kinda like how people when they move to a bigger house or apartment just end up filling that space up with stuff too

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i only got through triggy noms

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah but like most people when they get more money just kind of spend more money on poo poo they don't really need

there is indeed an infinite number of things to spend money on esp with houses

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah but like most people when they get more money just kind of spend more money on poo poo they don't really need, kinda like how people when they move to a bigger house or apartment just end up filling that space up with stuff too

I just wanna go to the dentist, man

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
getting teeth pulled is cheaper than paying to have a room painted

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

I just wanna go to the dentist, man

:smith:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I've painted plenty of rooms for like $75?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i had a tooth pulled last year and i think it was like $10 copay

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I've painted plenty of rooms for like $75?

lmao how big was the room

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

euphronius posted:

lmao how big was the room

about three afternoons' worth I guess

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that’s hundreds of dollars of paint

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

looks like someone splurged on something other than watercolor

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

don’t you have a masters degree

friend nepotism should get you climbing the ladder

you’re credentialed enough

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wolfs posted:

don’t you have a masters degree

friend nepotism should get you climbing the ladder

you’re credentialed enough

a lot of it is psychological, I've already convinced myself I would fail. been applying to salaried positions for fifteen straight years now and get like an interview every six-eight months

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
have you tried using a recruiter? headhunters have gotten p good at it (for certain industries)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

have you tried using a recruiter? headhunters have gotten p good at it (for certain industries)

If nothing else they can get your foot into the door.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol it's been a couple years but I paid for linkedin premium to message a bunch of recruiters and the few that responded just said "sorry can't help". it was pretty devastating, but I definitely give up too easily on these things

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
try googling recruiter companies near you and cold call them that way, they'll at least take a meeting even if you never hear from them again

also depending on your state laws they might be preventing from touching anywhere that you've already applied yourself recently, so keep that in mind

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that helps, thanks

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

you sound a lot like me except im 40, i did a retail.sales job i liked but paid 45k until COVID so i got on the state job treadmill and just got a promotion

i loving hate office work its mentally exhausting and tedious but at least i dont have to stand all day and my idiot to work ratio is lower now, plus wfh

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Redfin market insights for April

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Ornery and Hornery posted:

what job did it get you? pleasure share your journey. I am interested and looking for hope.

this is probably a trap, but some code boot camps are legit and will bend over backwards to get you hired somewhere. I 4xed my income and have not and will never be anything other than a decent developer. the benefits, flexibility and opportunity are pretty astonishing as a former retail/service worker.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

euphronius posted:

there is indeed an infinite number of things to spend money on esp with houses

nope, this is stupid and impulsive

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

lol I genuinely hope all the techlords who bought houses on RSUs-as-income get burned. Except for my one friend who lucked into a non-technical amazon job, bought a house in white center last year, and just had a kid :/

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TheSlutPit posted:

lol I genuinely hope all the techlords who bought houses on RSUs-as-income get burned. Except for my one friend who lucked into a non-technical amazon job, bought a house in white center last year, and just had a kid :/

lots of people moving from cali to texas paid all cash and won't be financially ruined by a significant downturn, especially compared to 2008. there's a lot of wealth out there

is that kind of leveraged purchase very common?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

that line is fake though they’re making up that garbage.

it’s still means it’s bad and prices are dropping

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

TheSlutPit posted:

lol I genuinely hope all the techlords who bought houses on RSUs-as-income get burned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

They're all moving out of Seattle, my coworkers who live in places like Renton and Tukwila say their rents are skyrocketing. Lol