Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I was earnestly considering for a bit not ever coming out as trans or whatever I was. My wife was fine with who I was and it was whatever. And the prospect of having a kid really broke me with that. The idea of not being my true self to my child, lying by omission, and not being proud of yourself pushed me. And I realized I had already been working with queer kids at school--I had already been the teacher kids came out to because kids be wise.

When I came out, I didn't really know how far I wanted to transition or go with any of this, or even fully what words I wanted to use. But I couldn't hide what it was.

And I think for me the thing was that it was never about become a woman or becoming trans. It was just about being and honest and becoming myself.

Alito's goes on some naval gazing tangents that leave the door open for sodomy laws and gay marriage bans down the line.

quote:

Furthermore, the draft decision mentions the case of Obergefell v. Hodges by name -- twice.

The first time the case was mentioned, the draft decision writer, Justice Samuel Alito, listed Obergefell v. Hodges as one of two examples of Supreme Court decisions that relied on Roe and Casey legal arguments.

The second time Obergefell v. Hodges is mentioned is further down in the draft decision, in pointing to an argument made by the U.S. solicitor general, a member of the U.S. Department of Justice, in a brief in the Mississippi case.

The solicitor general argued that the Supreme Court couldn’t overturn Roe and Casey because the court earlier said that gay people in Obergefell v. Hodges had the due process right ”inherent in the concept of individual autonomy,” and that “decisions concerning marriage are among the most intimate that an individual can make.” Those legal concepts came from the earlier abortion cases, the solicitor had argued in September.

But Alito disagreed in his draft decision, saying that the earlier Roe and Casey decisions were weak.

“Unable to show concrete reliance on Roe and Casey themselves, the Solicitor General suggests that overruling those decisions would “threaten the Court’s precedents holding that the Due Process Clause protects other rights,” he wrote. “As even the Casey plurality recognized, ‘(a)bortion is a unique act’ because it terminates ‘life or potential life.’”

Alito goes on to clarify that the majority on the court say the concerns are over the constitutional right to an abortion and no other right.

While not an immediate threat, it's worth remembering that many of our victories like the right to choose have been through the courts, and we should remember how fragile that is.

Anyway here is also a fun story about a bi BYU student who flashed a pride flag sewed into her gown at her graduation. While I'm not Christian, I do think it is important when Christian allies and members take back the ground and remind folks that spirituality does not need to belong to bigots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It's absolutely a threat. Fifteen minutes after that decision drops, the TX AG is going to issue guidance only allowing marriage certificates to be valid for straight marriages based on 'Original, unaltered certificate of birth'. Shortly backed up by executive order from Abbot to bait a civil rights suit that can be escalated through the 5th District to Alito's desk.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hawkperson posted:

Most people who feel this way say something like “I am comfortable with any pronouns.”

On a personal note, this drives me up the wall. It's like, just give me a solid answer because if you don't then next time I need to address you all I'll remember is that I asked you but now I have no idea what pronouns you use and I must have forgotten, like an rear end in a top hat! This is absolutely a me problem!

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i default to they in that situation cause its safe lmao

Dog King
May 19, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Miss Broccoli posted:

I sure hope that "I'm trans but I don't want to act on it because the technology isn't there yet" and "I would transition if medical technology was better" don't get you excluded from anything. I can see people being sensitive if they felt like you were attacking their choices here though, people are (rightfully and understandably) pretty sensitive so you may have to be particular with your language. I've had a vaginaplasty myself and I can understand why someone wouldn't want to go through it for the result thats available right now but golly gosh my heckles would be up if I felt it was getting poo poo talked and I'm not alone.

I think that's what happened last time I talked about it, which is why I don't usually talk about it anymore, and if I ever do I try to emphasize that this is just me personally who feels this way and I'm not saying anything about what anyone else should do.

Miss Broccoli posted:

I don't want to be pushy but I would advise still looking into some sort of gender counselling. I know quite a few trans people who said this sort of thing as a cope, to keep themselves in the closet. I know more who are out and want things like Phallo but and are miserable without a penis, but current tech isn't good enough especially in Australia where there is 1 surgeon who can do it and it costs 100k AUD and it sucks for them.

The reason I don't get gender counseling or pursue anything along those lines is because there's a just a fundamental mismatch and it's not possible to change either side of the mismatch, currently, to my satisfaction. Like on that button test, I answered "yes" to question one and "yes if it made me straight" to question two, but those don't reflect the realities of gender confirmation or conversion therapy.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess I personally find it hard to beleive that you can be happier not transitioning but that could be a me problem. What exactly about the current technology doesn't do it for you out of curiosity? Theres an awful lot of misinformation out there about what the different aspects of medical transition do and dont do.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
There's some downsides to GCS, even with as far as the medicine has come. Especially so if you're transmasc, there's certain functionalities that will always be lacking, for now. There's also the current problem of motherhood/fatherhood being impossible with current medicine. I know plenty of trans women who will always personally feel incomplete because, with current medicine, they can never carry a child.

It's also all very expensive with lengthy (and, again, expensive; not eveyone can afford to avoid working for 1+ months, I can't even go without work for a week right now) recovery times. Not everyone can afford that or has the opportunity, and the risk of complications is very real and in some situations sounds incredibly gross and uncomfortable and is something that is either only fixed through further surgery (if it's even an option).

I think I probably skew closer to non-binary than a lot of transfemmes and so I have no urge to get GCS (and I'm also some flavor of ace so "correct" sex just isn't that big of a deal to me), though I wouldn't mind FFS if it was on the table. Maybe some day; again see expenses/recovery times, and I'm literally uninsured right now. For me a lot of going through with transitioning was... kind of reliant on "I don't see any real downsides to the permanent/side effects of E HRT" as well as a Need To Know if I could really pass and and be happier as a woman, and thus far my experience has been yes, but I wouldn't say my previous experience up to this point was necessarily a huge negative, it's more like things are just better now, and from that view point I could see circumstances that would leave someone as being content to not transition.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, that's a thing. Even something relatively more minor like top surgery for trans dudes is out of reach for a lot of people due to the costs and recovery time involved.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Minera posted:

There's some downsides to GCS, even with as far as the medicine has come. Especially so if you're transmasc, there's certain functionalities that will always be lacking, for now. There's also the current problem of motherhood/fatherhood being impossible with current medicine. I know plenty of trans women who will always personally feel incomplete because, with current medicine, they can never carry a child.

It's also all very expensive with lengthy (and, again, expensive; not eveyone can afford to avoid working for 1+ months, I can't even go without work for a week right now) recovery times. Not everyone can afford that or has the opportunity, and the risk of complications is very real and in some situations sounds incredibly gross and uncomfortable and is something that is either only fixed through further surgery (if it's even an option).

I think I probably skew closer to non-binary than a lot of transfemmes and so I have no urge to get GCS (and I'm also some flavor of ace so "correct" sex just isn't that big of a deal to me), though I wouldn't mind FFS if it was on the table. Maybe some day; again see expenses/recovery times, and I'm literally uninsured right now. For me a lot of going through with transitioning was... kind of reliant on "I don't see any real downsides to the permanent/side effects of E HRT" as well as a Need To Know if I could really pass and and be happier as a woman, and thus far my experience has been yes, but I wouldn't say my previous experience up to this point was necessarily a huge negative, it's more like things are just better now, and from that view point I could see circumstances that would leave someone as being content to not transition.

You're completely right but Dog King didn't say it was prohibiteively expensive, he said the technology wasn't there. It does set of a red flag for types of thoughts like "I could never pass", "I'd be an ugly clockable freak", and whatever other internalised bigotry you can think of. King also didn't say it was surgery, just the technology and bought up crispr.

I'm one of of those women who doesn't feel quite complete, and I got it because it was either get it or die, my dysphoria about that thing was horrendous and debilitating. gently caress, 12 momths ago i was 2 months out from surgery and checking myself into the mental hospital cause I couldn't take it. I don't really have any other way to quantify it other than other trans people looked at me and told me to my face they were glad they weren't me :/. For me it's not about sex, or childbirth, or anything, its just feeling right in my body and I would slam the button every time to just have genital nullification or w/e (like a barbie doll) if that was the only option. I was nearly killed in 2015 and I paid for my vagina with the payout from that, I had to nearly die in order to not die later.

I also don't at all think you have to desire surgery or have dysphoria about your junk to be A Real Tran. Even if we could transplant a vagina and uterus, or dick and balls, its never going to be an easy thing to go through before cost even comes into it and I don't think your gender is made invalid by looking at it and going 'thats not for me'.

Miss Broccoli fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 6, 2022

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I don't personally think that everyone with dysphoria would benefit from transition. Usually it would be because of extreme social consequences, but also people have different degrees and experiences of dysphoria that might just make the tradeoff not worth it. This sort of person would still benefit greatly from a gender therapist. The point of gender therapy isn't to get you to transition, it's to help you work through gender issues. They can help people cope with their situations.

For me, my experience with gender therapy was that I needed support getting through my transition and managing dysphoria. The further along I got, the less I needed it as my dysphoria was alleviated. If transition wasn't available to me, I'd probably benefit from therapy to manage my dysphoria even more.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It could also be a general skepticism about one's own self image. Like I can't imagine ever being particularly enthusiastic about my body and certainly not if it takes a lot of effort to change and/or upkeep. I've never liked it and I don't think I'm ever going to.

It makes a lot of sense to me that someone would be reluctant to sign up for making big changes to their body even if it were free and even if, in an ideal world, they might prefer it to be different, same reason I've never considered plastic surgery, because I am pretty sure the complaint isn't with the actual physical nature of my body and just that I'm not capable of feeling positively about it. And if that's the case then the one I've got is OK, it can lift heavy objects, it isn't falling entirely to bits, it is relatively low maintenence as they go. Plus the parts of masculinity I really want to distance myself from are behavioural anyway.

Exposure to gender theory if anything has helped a lot with that. Who I am isn't defined by my body shape and I find that pretty easy to internalize. It's more like I'm just stuck driving a mediocre car, it's not ideal but it's not going to get me to put in the effort to get a sports model because driving in general is crap.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 6, 2022

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
When I worked out that I had gender dysphoria and started experimenting with my appearance, I learned that the ceiling for how enthusiastic I could be about my body was much higher than I thought.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Dog King posted:

The reason I don't get gender counseling or pursue anything along those lines is because there's a just a fundamental mismatch and it's not possible to change either side of the mismatch, currently, to my satisfaction. Like on that button test, I answered "yes" to question one and "yes if it made me straight" to question two, but those don't reflect the realities of gender confirmation or conversion therapy.

I think it's a totally understandable perspective and it's very reasonable to say that the upsides of transitioning don't seem like they'd outweigh the burdens, especially if the potential results don't seem like they'd be good enough to satisfy you. I don't know you, I don't know your experiences, so how could I possibly say what's right for you?

But with that said, I guess I would encourage you to make sure that you're properly evaluating the costs and benefits. Even if you do consciously acknowledge what your situation is, I think it's pretty easy to slip into a surface level understanding of everything surrounding these issues because it's pretty uncomfortable to dig deeper. It's very easy to convince oneself that things aren't that bad, or to just miss the fact that there's a whole other level of positive life experience that's just completely inaccessible to you right now because you have nothing to compare your current life experiences to. And also, the existing technology is really quite impressive now, provided that you have access to it.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Colonel Cool posted:

I think it's a totally understandable perspective and it's very reasonable to say that the upsides of transitioning don't seem like they'd outweigh the burdens, especially if the potential results don't seem like they'd be good enough to satisfy you. I don't know you, I don't know your experiences, so how could I possibly say what's right for you?

But with that said, I guess I would encourage you to make sure that you're properly evaluating the costs and benefits. Even if you do consciously acknowledge what your situation is, I think it's pretty easy to slip into a surface level understanding of everything surrounding these issues because it's pretty uncomfortable to dig deeper. It's very easy to convince oneself that things aren't that bad, or to just miss the fact that there's a whole other level of positive life experience that's just completely inaccessible to you right now because you have nothing to compare your current life experiences to. And also, the existing technology is really quite impressive now, provided that you have access to it.
I mean, yeah: these are the things you tell yourself in the closet. You make up excuses, "Well, I'll forget about all this if the rest of my life is good" or "I'll never pass" "My shoulders are too wide/narrow/I'm too tall/short, I have breasts/I won't like having breasts/I'm straight etc. etc. etc."
Meanwhile, I'm sitting here typing this smiling like a doofus because I just injected estrogen for the second time (I switched to injectable recently for reasons. It went about as well as my first unsupervised injection could be expected to). I didn't get it quite right, but whoo boy, you know when the estrogen's hit! No matter how you're taking it.
And I could never, ever have felt this good before.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/keffals/status/1522684337497456640

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_OI1FXX4x0

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Well, that's loving horrible

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
just as a sort of update? she seems to be doing okay: is currently streaming minecraft! https://twitch.tv/viowynn. Obviously what's going is terrible.

smug n stuff fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 7, 2022

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

I mean, yeah: these are the things you tell yourself in the closet. You make up excuses, "Well, I'll forget about all this if the rest of my life is good" or "I'll never pass" "My shoulders are too wide/narrow/I'm too tall/short, I have breasts/I won't like having breasts/I'm straight etc. etc. etc."
Meanwhile, I'm sitting here typing this smiling like a doofus because I just injected estrogen for the second time (I switched to injectable recently for reasons. It went about as well as my first unsupervised injection could be expected to). I didn't get it quite right, but whoo boy, you know when the estrogen's hit! No matter how you're taking it.
And I could never, ever have felt this good before.

My partner is planning on taking estrogen and at least partially transition and I'm very curious to know more about how it feels! I'd really like a better understanding of the process so I can be as supportive as I can. It breaks my heart how much their dysmorphia(?) impacts their life and I want to be there to help them as much as possible.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

smug n stuff posted:

just as a sort of update? she seems to be doing okay: is currently streaming minecraft! https://twitch.tv/viowynn. Obviously what's going is terrible.

Is there any update on how the attempt to put her in foster care for a crime she didn't commit is doing?

Because the whole thing is bullshit. Having some bigot say you can't go to school (She can't even use the freaking bathrooms.) and then calling the truant officers on her after she complies with that demand so that she gets removed from her family's care is classic catch-22 nonsense used to gotcha minorities, only this time it's the school system.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Archonex posted:

Is there any update on how the attempt to put her in foster care for a crime she didn't commit is doing?

Because the whole thing is bullshit. Having some bigot say you can't go to school (She can't even use the freaking bathrooms.) and then calling the truant officers on her after she complies with that demand so that she gets removed from her family's care is classic catch-22 nonsense used to gotcha minorities, only this time it's the school system.

I personally don't want this to become an extended discussion of this one person's situation, because a) She's a kid and it feels kind of sketchy and b) based on what I've seen it seems like it will be difficult to draw many general conclusions about like The Law and The Government, besides that they are transphobic - the specifics seem like a very complicated situation.
But: she says she's been put in custody of the TN dept of child services and is spending weeknights at a foster home. She's spending weekends at her home.
About the school situation. It's a bit difficult to parse but what she has said was: the school pressured her to switch to an online school system for reasons that weren't clear to her (presumably transphobia stuff). The online school system was under-resourced and didn't feel like she was being educated (presumably she doesn't go very much because of this). There was a court case and the government said that it was a case of educational neglect, presumably on the part of her parents. Thus the foster care thing.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My partner is planning on taking estrogen and at least partially transition and I'm very curious to know more about how it feels! I'd really like a better understanding of the process so I can be as supportive as I can. It breaks my heart how much their dysmorphia(?) impacts their life and I want to be there to help them as much as possible.
Hmm. It’s hard to describe, and of course, it depends on the delivery mechanism. There are 3 I’m familiar with.
Pills you generally take twice a day sublingually and are either 1 or 2 MG. Patches secrete a small amount daily through your skin, and you put a new patch on (and remove the old one) twice a week. Injection is once a week and gives you the best estrogen bang for you buck, but also you have to stick a needle in yourself and dispose of the needles. This will be accompanied by Spironolactone in pill form(twice daily), to block testosterone (it also happens to be a fantastic diuretic), and eventually progesterone (once daily) for mood stability and fat redistribution.

As far as feel: I started on pills and basically felt non-descriptly better pretty much immediately. Like, you know, my brain was always meant to operate in a female hormonal balance. Injecting is way more visceral though, because rather than having a steady level of estrogen, you have a big spike on injection day and taper down over the week. I basically felt high yesterday lol: I was really giggly and really wanted to be cuddled (so far as I know, that’s common). The lady I’m seeing likened it to how she feels when she’s ovulating.

oh god oh fuck
Dec 22, 2019

I didn't notice the immediate dramatic brain shift some others did but I did over time notice I was a little more emotional and less aggressive. A lot of the changes are so slow you don't notice them until you stop and compare to how you were pre HRT.

Everything that's come I've been happy with though. Prior to starting I was filled with a lot of doubts over whether I'd regret it but as soon as I did I knew for certain I was never going back.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Thank you both for the input! I really appreciate it. I think it's a little bit mysterious for the both of us so this stuff helps a lot.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
A heads up that today Alabama’s law banning gender affirming care for minors goes into effect. While it is easy to just dunk on Chuds, this will certainly make it more likely for children to harm and even kill themselves.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
This is the first time such a law has actually made it into effect. This is going to be as bad as the Bell v Tavistock injunction was. Hopefully it doesn't last as long. The longer it remains in effect, the worse the effects will be on this kids who have been forcibly taken off their medicine.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Vice was able to get in touch with Wynn.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/88gyev/cops-trans-girl-twitch-stream

quote:

Police officers entered the bedroom of a 16-year-old trans girl in Tennessee while she played Minecraft live on Twitch in late April—and the confrontation was caught live on stream.

The streamer, a girl named Wynn who goes by VioWynn on Twitch, in an email to Motherboard said she was pressured to do online school rather than attend in person, and that she has refused to go to the online school and thus has been considered “truant.”

In a recording of the stream, Wynn says, "This will probably be the last stream ever because they're trying to get me to either kill myself or go into foster care or something. Instead of just giving me an education. Honestly, I just want to go to school. But they don't want me to go to school because I'm trans. I'm just really stressed out."

She goes on to say that authorities are trying to place her into foster care. “I was already adopted once, I don't need to be adopted again,” she says on the stream. “I just need to be able to go to school. I'm just worried I'll get abused.” Wynn told Motherboard she believes they were doing a wellness check on her, but that she is being pressured by authorities to enter foster care.

According to Wynn, on the morning of April 27, she had a court date where she’d learn whether she had to go into foster care; she was being denied an education, she claimed, as her school pressured her to attend classes online with fewer resources than in-person students received. “I consider it being denied an education, though it legally isn't considered as such, so that's why the judge considered me truant,” she said. Other students also took an online school option, but she was the only one she knew of who was pressured heavily to stay home, she said.

"I don't understand why the state of Tennessee would rather ruin a child's life than just let her go to school, but it really shows where their priorities are,” Wynn says on the stream, before the police enter the room. A tweet about the situation went viral this weekend:

Wynn told Motherboard that she expected the police were coming that day because she overheard her parents talking about it. “I was insanely stressed out so I decided to stream, as it's one of the only things that reliably makes me happy and calms me down,” she said. She got about 17 minutes into the stream session playing Minecraft when a police officer opens the door behind her and several more walk in. They see her streaming live, and her reaction is extremely casual: “OK, well, now there’s an officer in here just trying to join the stream,” she remarks while they mill around behind her, in full view of the camera. She continues playing Minecraft. “I’m just gonna act like they’re not here because that’s easier,” she says to her viewers.

At that point, the police told her dad to cut the power, she told Motherboard, which is when the stream stopped.

“The police forced me to turn around in my chair and then acted very angry with me, with an officer even saying that he ‘didn't see any tears’ and got mad at me for crying as I had tears running down my face,” she said. “They made me leave my room and had an officer search it. After that, they told me I shouldn't have put the chair against my door and then took my door off of its hinges. They asked if I was suicidal, I said no, and then they left.” They came back later that day, she said, to watch her get into her caseworker's car to be taken to foster care.

“The treatment overall was unempathetic and very cold and angry on their part,” she said. She was allowed to come back home for the weekend because they were unable to place her in a foster home on a Friday, but is in foster care now, she told Motherboard.

Tennessee is one of the most hostile states toward transgender youth. Last year, Gov. Bill Lee signed off on legislation that would make it illegal for doctors to provide gender-confirming hormone treatment to prepubescent minors, and became the first state to require public restrooms to have signs saying whether they allow trans people to use bathrooms in accordance with their gender. And last month, Lee signed H.B. 1895 / S.B. 1861, legislation that would remove funding from school districts that allow trans students to play sports.

Organizations and child welfare groups including the Human Rights Campaign, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the American Medical Association have condemned trans-affirming care bans and spoken in support of gender-affirming care for trans kids. Children’s health advocates have called the attack on trans rights in Tennessee a mental health crisis.

Wynn told Motherboard that although she’s in foster care currently, she’s doing better now. “I feel less stressed since I now understand more of the ins and outs of foster care,” she said. She was able to have “two amazing streams” at home since then. “The plan now is to try getting a new court date for the foster care people to tell a judge that I don't need to be in foster care in hopes that I can be officially released from DCS custody,” she said, and the school has agreed to let her attend summer school to catch up in time for the second semester of 11th grade next year.

She seems to be in good spirits, at least, and shares more details about her situation. She was really terrified though, and it's disgusting that she was terrorized like this and has to deal with so much loving bullshit.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Thank you both for the input! I really appreciate it. I think it's a little bit mysterious for the both of us so this stuff helps a lot.
I wasn't sure what I was getting into at first either. I think that's natural. The one thing I remember clearly from the informed consent consult is, "In about 2-4 months, you'll begin to develop breasts. And those are yours to keep - they won't go away even if you stop taking estrogen." But, that's basically the earliest development that isn't fully reversible. Your partner will have plenty of time to pilot being on estrogen before that starts up. My breasts are two of my favorite things, so I'm glad they're mine to keep!

Dr. Stab posted:

This is the first time such a law has actually made it into effect. This is going to be as bad as the Bell v Tavistock injunction was. Hopefully it doesn't last as long. The longer it remains in effect, the worse the effects will be on this kids who have been forcibly taken off their medicine.
Unfortunately, I'm not holding my breath on the Courts helping us out here.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Unfortunately, I'm not holding my breath on the Courts helping us out here.

Nor I. The lower courts are still (mostly) doing their jobs and enjoining obviously illegal poo poo, and that's useful as a holding action-- even a few months of respite gives folks room to organize, and it can take the Supreme Court a while to find room on their packed schedule of deleting human rights for any particular case. But a holding action is what it is, and even that's not reliable depending on where in the country you are and how thoroughly the local district and appeals courts were packed with shameless theocrats.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Right now, I think when it comes to LGTBQIA+ stuff, the Court is basically about reading the tea leaves on if Gorsuch is feeling more like a Libertarian or an Originalist that day.

It is worth remembering the court gave us a big victory. But with over-turning Roe, it's hard to imagine the Court telling states they can't bar any medical procedures or treatments.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 13, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1524889683376807937?t=TnmYgAeACxRxJh1ozX33TA&s=19

Lmao Freddie deboer ran face first into the paradox of tolerance yet again. Maybe this will inspire introspection on the concrete effects of taking an absolutist position of free speech?????

it won't

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm getting kind of tired of people who sort of give their trans ally bonafides before going BUUUUUUT. The issue is that I think they push other folks who take part in discrimination into parody and don't realize there have always been people saying things like, "Hey, live and let live, gay people can do what they want, but I don't want my kid knowing about it and marriage is between a man and a woman...," "Hey, I respect women, but there are just some things better left for a man and I think that's common sense," "Hey, I have no issue with Black people, but why are they coming to my school/using those names/wearing those clothes/speaking like that/etc." So as long as they're not a screaming bigot, they are not themselves a transphobe or capable of transphobia.

And I do think that there genuinely are potential allies who are confused who need guidance even if it is tiring to be in a constant state of leading a TED Talk on gender to just exist.

But then you have someone like Ben Shapiro who actively weaponizes this. He'll use his supposed Libertarian beliefs as a smokescreen. "Hey, I have no problem with adults saying they're trans or transitioning but [Insert Ben Shapiro literally spending the past decade spreading misinformation like misinterpreting data, misinterpreting the DSM 5 to make it sound like being trans is still a mental illness, restating the findings of incredibly flawed and unreplicated studies as fact, purposefully leading a misinformation campaign against the pretty well established social, psychological, and medical methods of combatting gender dyshrhopa]."

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 13, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's just the usual bullshit.

"I don't personally have the will to do violence against you, so I'll just pretend you don't exist and hope others do the violence for me offscreen so I can pretend it never happened."

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
None of the language-like noises that precede "but" contain meaning.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

doingitwrong posted:

None of the language-like noises that precede "but" contain meaning.
I think I differentiate just normal rear end people who are genuinely expressing a concern as bigoted and foolish as it may be from public figures who make a spectacle of their feelings about the trans community. And my experience is that normal rear end people tend to at least listen and digest when you talk to them about these issues. So, I think for them the stuff before the but can be somewhat instructive in how to respond to them because it is coming from a place of trying to explain themselves.

I think part of the problem is people like Chapelle, Rowling, or Shapiro will sometimes retreat to this place of "Look I'm just telling you where I'm coming from" and ignore both their position of power as well as the fact that they're not some dumpy uncle stumbling into a conversation with their trans niece, they're public figures who literally won't stop loving talking about trans people.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The power of those bigoted concern trolls is they can make themselves seem reasonable to the ignorant. "I think trans people have a right to exist in normal society but I'm also hearing lots of stuff about an epidemic of child mutilation and that sounds bad." is a thing that can be said by both a bigot and a genuinely ignorant person. But, it's usually extremely easy to tell which is which if you start trying to explain things. The bigot will argue along whatever lines they can use to advance an anti-trans position, both showing that it was really about transphobia and not concern for the health of children, and also tipping their hand that they know more than they said they did at the outset.

e: and, more specifically, this kind of jerk will keep "just asking questions" long after the questions have been answered. And, they will call anyone who calls out what effect they're having a crazy TRA. I remeber when the announcent was made to weaponize CPS in Texas, and Jesse Singal posted a wall of screenshotted "threats" and it was mostly people saying "these policies are the result of your fear mongering."

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 13, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Then you can point out that there is an epidemic of infant genital mutilation to force intersex children into one of two binary boxes, and it's been going on for decades, and that's a perfect example of a real world harm caused by viewing sex and gender as binaries, and is far far worse than anything caused by supporting a child to socially transition.

Then you get to find out if they're really against child mutilation or they're just against trans existence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think part of the problem is people like Chapelle, Rowling, or Shapiro will sometimes retreat to this place of "Look I'm just telling you where I'm coming from" and ignore both their position of power as well as the fact that they're not some dumpy uncle stumbling into a conversation with their trans niece, they're public figures who literally won't stop loving talking about trans people.

An example of a wider problem where there is very little conception of the idea that you stop belonging entirely to yourself when you have a platform, intrinsically everything you say then becomes dangerous, like if you were wearing a magic ring that gave you super strength and had to think hard to avoid punching through walls trying to perform normal tasks. So everything you do no longer can be done just for or as yourself, it is necessarily done as a signficiant component of society.

People generally don't become famous to have that ability, and a lot of people just refuse to acknowledge that it exists because they don't like the responsibility it puts on them, and normal people often refuse to acknowledge it too because they are often invested parasocially with famous people and want to imagine that they are, fundamentally, just like them, that their views are just like a random person talking to a friend or something.

And yes, as you note, it becomes very readily weaponised by all sorts of people, right wing pundits, idiot rich and famous people who can't stop gobbing off about whatever stupid idea is in their head today, even up to corporations doing the trite "oh we're sorry we offended people we will learn from this and try to grow" shite when they do something (likely calculated) to piss people off.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

An example of a wider problem where there is very little conception of the idea that you stop belonging entirely to yourself when you have a platform, intrinsically everything you say then becomes dangerous, like if you were wearing a magic ring that gave you super strength and had to think hard to avoid punching through walls trying to perform normal tasks. So everything you do no longer can be done just for or as yourself, it is necessarily done as a signficiant component of society.

People generally don't become famous to have that ability, and a lot of people just refuse to acknowledge that it exists because they don't like the responsibility it puts on them, and normal people often refuse to acknowledge it too because they are often invested parasocially with famous people and want to imagine that they are, fundamentally, just like them, that their views are just like a random person talking to a friend or something.

And yes, as you note, it becomes very readily weaponised by all sorts of people, right wing pundits, idiot rich and famous people who can't stop gobbing off about whatever stupid idea is in their head today, even up to corporations doing the trite "oh we're sorry we offended people we will learn from this and try to grow" shite when they do something (likely calculated) to piss people off.
Yeah 100% this.

An aside about social media; the horror of big social media accounts that they enable you to DO violence, while at the same time enabling violence to be done TO you. Like, the more followers you have on twitter, the more likely it is the algorithm will boost a smear campaign against you that incites violence. Conversely, the more followers you have on twitter, the more ability you have to propagate a smear campaign. And that combines; if your a minor celebrity, you can most easily incite violence against other public figures, and especially other public figures who use the same social media platform as you.

This isn't some natural law of internet nature thing, either, its specifically social media's business model that incitement is good business. Twitter amplifies death threats because it ultimately makes them more money. Two posts that say the same thing, but one incites violence and the other doesn't? The inciter post is more dramatic, exciting, generates more engagement, and twitter chooses THAT for wide broadcast to millions over the others that languish at 200 views.

Journalists roughly know how many people are going to see their work, or know that their message might go viral. Twitter obfuscates that fact, and encourages you to treat their platform as if your chatting in a loud bar with a few friends, not been filmed by a british rag who will only publish the worst things you say, decontextualized in the worst possible light, to cause as much harm as possible. I honestly think that social media's as platforms have more responsibility for the incitement that occurs on them than the low follower accounts who are performing the incitement, because like, a 16 year old with ten followers can't be expected to know "I would love to punch ____ lmao" would get shown to two million people, but a billion dollar corporation could, should, and does know that.

And to bring it back to this thread, this thing social media companies do, this incitement? They are more likely to aim it at you if your not a straight, white, cis, able-bodied man. LGBT+ people will get disproportionately hit by incitement campaigns, and LGBT+ people will disproportionately be held personally responsible for decentralized incitement campaigns. Often, perversely, LGBT+ people will get hit by incitement campaigns, and the harm that will supposedly justify the incitement is that they participated in an incitement campaign themselves. And again, this isn't neutral law of the internet. This is the intentional result of a system designed to profit a corporation.

Rob Filter fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 14, 2022

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Guavanaut posted:

Then you can point out that there is an epidemic of infant genital mutilation to force intersex children into one of two binary boxes, and it's been going on for decades, and that's a perfect example of a real world harm caused by viewing sex and gender as binaries, and is far far worse than anything caused by supporting a child to socially transition.

Then you get to find out if they're really against child mutilation or they're just against trans existence.

I think the usual right wing response to that is to just say "But intersex people are an incredibly small percentage of the population," which of course doesn't answer the question and is purposely dodging it, since they're just against the existence of trans people and don't actually care about infant genital mutilation.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I have always used they/them occasionally to refer to people of any type. Example sentences:
"Oh, Mike? He's a good person. I gave them an Olive garden gift certificate for their birthday.
Oh, Mike? They're a good person. I gave him a Olive garden certificate for his birthday."

No one has ever complained about this, but I wonder if it is something I should try to avoid? I've never cared much about pronouns because for some reason people have always occasionally called me she/her even when I've had a full beard, but I understand that they are very important to other people and I don't want to hurt people.

Also, the websites I have looked at explaining pronouns don't tell me what to do when someone lists he/they. Does that mean that I should use sentences like my first example, or that either he/him or they/them is valid, or are they letting people know that they are male non-binary?

Finally, why are so many people assholes to bisexual people? I've never come out to any LGBT group as bi because I've never met an official in person group where the members didn't look down on us. Is this just bad luck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

CrazySalamander posted:

Finally, why are so many people assholes to bisexual people? I've never come out to any LGBT group as bi because I've never met an official in person group where the members didn't look down on us. Is this just bad luck?

Bisexuals seem to have this bad rep with the people I know where both sides think they're odd sluts that need to pick a side. Het think they're just flirting with the other side and should settle down, and gays think they're trying not to be gay so they can't represent/solidarity/etc. How can you trust someone to have your back when they can just play with the opposing team?