Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

gschmidl posted:

Update to the update: Pilot Germany, not realizing Pilot Austria already fixed the problem, also fixed the problem.

I let them know because I'm an honest moron, let's see what happens.

I am more than confident they will tell you to keep it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Keetron posted:

I am more than confident they will tell you to keep it.

I assume so too, but it still feels wrong to just keep both without saying anything. This way my conscience is clean.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I’m just catching up on the Noodlers saga, and I’m a little surprised at the apparent genuineness of that apology. It wasn’t really a complete one, but that’s more action toward an appropriate apology than the usual libertarian crank caught doing a racism. I guess in this kind of community it’s not like there’s a bunch of chuds who will rush to his defense despite no previous interest in niche writing accessories like you’d get for Black Rifle Coffee Company or My Pillow.

Well it looks like it wasn't genuine at all since he is now throwing a shitfit and randomly renaming a bunch of his inks and discontinuing others. For example Apache Sunset is now Southwest Sunset :v:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Xun posted:

Well it looks like it wasn't genuine at all since he is now throwing a shitfit and randomly renaming a bunch of his inks and discontinuing others. For example Apache Sunset is now Southwest Sunset :v:

[surprised pikachu]

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

gschmidl posted:

[surprised pikachu]

Except no surprises.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Xun posted:

I'm not sure what's a shitfit about it? He seems to be changing all of the ones that reference any kind of ethnicity in the name (and all of the Ahab pens for some reason) which is probably for the better anyway.

list is here

Heath fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 13, 2022

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

The CHUDs in the comments though

yikes

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Heath posted:

I'm not sure what's a shitfit about it? He seems to be changing all of the ones that reference any kind of ethnicity in the name (and all of the Ahab pens for some reason) which is probably for the better anyway.

list is here

Some of the name changes feel a bit like an overreaction -- like I don't think anyone had a problem with Ottoman Azure -- but dropping the word Napalm from Dragon's Fire was probably a good idea. And I legitimately don't know what the current thinking is on names like Apache or Kiowa

And on the whole, while I don't want to give Tardiff too much credit, one of his best known inks highlights how the US Government tried to screw over a bunch of black soldiers. So y'know, people contain multitudes and all that.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
He's definitely got the vibe of the Boomer guy who is a "history buff" but is educated entirely by 90s-early 2000s History Channel

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Heath posted:

list is here

It just reads as a really childish overreaction to me :shrug: have you never seen someone spitefully go overboard on "corrections" when they get called out on something? There's a huge difference between antisemetic stereotypes and referring to the ethnicity of....ottomans?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
They're mostly inks that were brought up in the reddit threads as things people took issue with, so it sounds like he's listening. I don't think it was really necessary either, but it's a reasonably quick turnaround and it looks like effort to me.

The real test is if he prints the labels with the old title behind jailbars or some dumb poo poo, which is also possible

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Maybe I'm the last to know, but I was unaware the Oster guy also sucks.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Everett False posted:

Maybe I'm the last to know, but I was unaware the Oster guy also sucks.

Dang it, you're not the last to know, and that's extremely disappointing to me. I admit I know basically nothing about British political history so I had never even heard of the Rivers of Blood speech until now and yeah, that's a really heartless reference to make. It looks like the ink is discontinued but a few places still carry it. I know nothing about Australian politics either but yeah, looking at the Robert Oster Ink twitter, there's... uh... certainly something going on with him. I love Oster inks, but they're a lot like Noodler's in the sense that I can probably just not support them anymore and I won't think twice about it in a few months.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Oof and oster inks are good too :(

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
No ethical consumption under capitalism, etc.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Xun posted:

It just reads as a really childish overreaction to me :shrug: have you never seen someone spitefully go overboard on "corrections" when they get called out on something? There's a huge difference between antisemetic stereotypes and referring to the ethnicity of....ottomans?

Almost everything in the list was specifically called out in online discussion forums for various connotations (or appropriations, which is a fine line it looks like he is going to err cautiously on). He basically crowd-sourced this list, so I'm not sure why people are saying he over-reacted.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I "wonder" who wanted the antifa one gone.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

gschmidl posted:

It's not what you think it is.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

gschmidl posted:

Somebody probably pointed out that Churchill was not in fact anti-fascist.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
You know which of his inKKKs hasn’t been put on the list for a name change?

Monkey Hanger.

Yes, from a Brit history POV it’s about a dumb incident with a real monkey, but that’s just a nice bit of plausible deniability, when the name can easily be seen as something far more malicious to anyone with history of Bad Stuff in the US (hint in the first line of this post for anyone who’s not figured it out. I’m not going to post any form of the n word in the pen thread, I’m white AF).

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Kerbtree posted:

You know which of his inKKKs hasn’t been put on the list for a name change?

Monkey Hanger.

Yes, from a Brit history POV it’s about a dumb incident with a real monkey, but that’s just a nice bit of plausible deniability, when the name can easily be seen as something far more malicious to anyone with history of Bad Stuff in the US (hint in the first line of this post for anyone who’s not figured it out. I’m not going to post any form of the n word in the pen thread, I’m white AF).

I mean, by your own admission you know what specific incident it's referencing, but you're deliberately choosing to take a hateful interpretation of it, and that's not really fair, is it?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Heath posted:

I mean, by your own admission you know what specific incident it's referencing, but you're deliberately choosing to take a hateful interpretation of it, and that's not really fair, is it?

That's the thing about a dogwhistle. Someone who's in on the 'joke' can see the intention, but it's opaque to anyone else.
Also, this one's got a double angle to it, because the whole thing with Hartlepool is still kinda racial, just a more pop-culturally acceptable target.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 14, 2022

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

gschmidl posted:

I don’t attempt to claim I have a deep scholarly understanding of the history but the Bengal famine of 1943 has blame on Churchill and his war policies.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011

Kerbtree posted:

That's the thing about a dogwhistle. Someone who's in on the 'joke' can see the intention, but it's opaque to anyone else.
Also, this one's got a double angle to it, because the whole thing with Hartlepool is still kinda racial, just a more pop-culturally acceptable target.

I suppose you could give Tardiff the benefit of the doubt here because it was made for Pure Pens UK as an exclusive ink, so they would have had to have some say in the name. Maybe they even brought up the whole event as a historical oddity that would have piqued his interest. But yea, release that with any other vague reasoning and it would have had a whole other connotation really quickly.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

This is all stupid in the domain of writing implements, the idiot shouldn’t have been giving these names to begin with. I am glad we are at the point he is renaming stuff under public pressure but it will allow people to do business with him, washing their hands clean.

If nobody else makes any financially crippling decisions soon, I will do it myself and go to PW Akkermans tomorrow to buy one of those limited edition pilot 1911s or something.

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
I think I'm done with financially crippling decisions for the year, although Dad just picked up a Platinum 3776. I'm staring at 33 bottles of ink and we've estimated that each bottle could yield up to 3200 pages of writing (with our EF/F nibs). I'll just have to live vicariously through grack buying a new Delta soon.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I bought a Pilot Iroshizuku tasting flight and now have a lot of small bottles of ink. Trying asa-gao in my Sheaffer, it writes incredibly smoothly. I'm surprised at how much of a difference it makes.

The ink is super pretty. I think with the way I take notes I just prefer a finer point, if I write more slowly this M can work nicely but that will get in the way of getting my thoughts down. Maybe I can use the broader nib when I'm writing something longer form and the EF for planning.

I was surprised how easy it was to buy syringes and needles at the pharmacy for refilling cartridges, I thought they'd want some justification but the guy just got em out on the counter.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

If you got blunt tip syringes (sharp tip may be fine in the extreme short term but you should be real careful for obvious reasons) then I'm sure they just figured you have your own meds and know what you're doing.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

It'd be pretty pointless to not sell them unless there was a reason. The worst case is someone using them for drugs but in that case at least they're using new needles.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I agree but pointlessness often doesn't stop people being dicks

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

sb hermit posted:

If you got blunt tip syringes (sharp tip may be fine in the extreme short term but you should be real careful for obvious reasons)

Sankis posted:

It'd be pretty pointless to not sell them unless there was a reason.

Har har!

.....I'll show myself out.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Keetron posted:

If nobody else makes any financially crippling decisions soon, I will do it myself and go to PW Akkermans tomorrow to buy one of those limited edition pilot 1911s or something.

I did some ill-advised retail therapy that's due to arrive on Tuesday.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Keetron posted:

If nobody else makes any financially crippling decisions soon

Don't be ridiculous.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

gschmidl posted:

Don't be ridiculous.

Nice catch! Did you get the full set with the charm and everything?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dad Hominem posted:

Nice catch! Did you get the full set with the charm and everything?

Pen only (and it's only shipping out next week), but at a good price compared to what I've seen out there.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I've not been able to buy any pen stuff since 2020 due to lack of employment but golly the moment that situation is resolved im planning on some very dumb purchases.

Ever since I learned how surprisingly affordable urushi pens can be i haven't been able to stop thinking of them...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

:swoon::hf::pcgaming:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

OMFG this is what I come here for.

Yesterday I called in sick from work and got in the car to drive around and visit a few shops, the pen shop pwakkerman.com being one of them, fully planning on throwing money at them for a 21K M nib pen. Then on the way to the first shop, I received a phonecall that my kid was not doing well in school and if it would be possible to pick him up. I dropped by the first shop (bought some Bristol board to make into travel journals) and then drove to the school. My son was indeed not well so we went home where he siphoned away what little energy I had left (which was the reason I called in sick to begin with).

At the end of the day I was more drained and tired than at the start, bought no pen, made no money and completely failed my attempt at retail therapy. I did get some parenting points, I hope the reward will be worth it.

Maybe I'll try again next week, I am negotiating a pay cut in return for one day a week.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

japanese-packaging.png

This is the 1974 Pilot Heart Sutra, so it's slightly older than I am and, unlike me, is in near-mint condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

gschmidl posted:

japanese-packaging.png

This is the 1974 Pilot Heart Sutra, so it's slightly older than I am and, unlike me, is in near-mint condition.

Congrats again! I'll have to dig out the page in Fountain Pens of Japan that covers these. I think there's a photo of the temple ritual where each of these pens was blessed by a priest.