Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Shinji2015 posted:

I think at this point it's on borrowed time. The original plan behind WYE was to go to political events during the 2020 election, but then Covid happened, it became another news podcast, and then they all got busy with their other projects that cover the same topics. They're stretched thin, and unless they shift the focus of the podcast again, I don't see it sticking around.

:hmmyes:

I remember hearing at some point that WYE would end on THE TRUTH!!!

so this was the swan song in character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Testekill posted:

You gotta wonder how things would have gone if she had a different upbringing, maybe she'd have always been a hosed up individual but it really seems like the parents couldn't figure out how to raise a severely autistic child.

Somewhat controversial but I would very much like everyone involved with kiwi farms to die in a loving fire.
Yeah I mean, I knew there were some truly awful people on the internet who get their kicks at others’ expense, but making an entire forum that’s dedicated to systematically harassing one obviously troubled person IRL for years on end is some next-level poo poo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah I mean, I knew there were some truly awful people on the internet who get their kicks at others’ expense, but making an entire forum that’s dedicated to systematically harassing one obviously troubled person IRL for years on end is some next-level poo poo.

To think, S.A. has teetered on that edge one time too many...

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Testekill posted:

You gotta wonder how things would have gone if she had a different upbringing, maybe she'd have always been a hosed up individual but it really seems like the parents couldn't figure out how to raise a severely autistic child.

Somewhat controversial but I would very much like everyone involved with kiwi farms to die in a loving fire.

Seems pretty normal sentiment to me.

Yeah I think if she had different parents, she probably would have ended up mostly normal. Normal parents would have cracked down on the love quest poo poo and the store bands, but apparently the parents either ignored a lot of it or ended up encouraging it like when they almost ran over that store owner. Also apparently she kept getting banned from places as late is a couple years ago before the bad thing. yeah the whole thing is a loving horror, i think her dad tried but he didnt know how to do it and he ended up just giving up.

Zugzwang posted:

Yeah a lot of them are as hosed up as she is if not way way worse. All that poo poo attracts the worst of the worst. i know there were several big "civil wars" with the trolls over loving with her after the "old guard" mostly quit around bobs death and was replaced by even worse weird fucks.

Samovar posted:

To think, S.A. has teetered on that edge one time too many...

I think SA were the ones who found her intially.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 13, 2022

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
yeah, when Robert mentioned the original thread being spun off of another about another internet strange person - the deep lizard brain wants to say it was from thst guy with the really long name that started with a U?

i think the show does a great job of capturing part of the struggle, in that she's weird in a way that sort of compels further attention. I've soaked up so much information just out of going "wait, what the gently caress? no I gotta get a load of this" even though I inevitably go along with my day pretty quickly

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

neongrey posted:

yeah, when Robert mentioned the original thread being spun off of another about another internet strange person - the deep lizard brain wants to say it was from thst guy with the really long name that started with a U?

i think the show does a great job of capturing part of the struggle, in that she's weird in a way that sort of compels further attention. I've soaked up so much information just out of going "wait, what the gently caress? no I gotta get a load of this" even though I inevitably go along with my day pretty quickly

Ulillillia, the guy who was really obsessed with bubsy

I, like Robert, followed CWC when the fandom around her started, and I kept up intermittently, but between realizing that kiwifarms was ultra toxic and hell dump was also ultra toxic, I made myself stop reading those sites/forums

Probably for the best

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I didn't get it and feel relieved that I didn't understand the appeal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

rotinaj posted:

I, like Robert, followed CWC when the fandom around her started, and I kept up intermittently, but between realizing that kiwifarms was ultra toxic and hell dump was also ultra toxic, I made myself stop reading those sites/forums

Probably for the best

I never followed the Ulillillia story either, but I got the impression that was the following outsider art type of thing rather than harassing him.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
he had a bunch of people reaching out to him but yeah he's mostly notable in that I don't think he ever came to ill because of the attention, though his quirks seem a lot more harmless

quick google suggests he's doing all right now, which is nice

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

rotinaj posted:

Probably for the best

Helldump felt a little better imo because it was goon-on-goon callouts, and if you didn't like what someone said you could potentially turn the tables or just ignore them/leave the forums altogether (but most chose to engage and dig themselves into deeper holes instead). But yeah, ultimately the world is better off without it I think.

Grand Fromage posted:

I never followed the Ulillillia story either, but I got the impression that was the following outsider art type of thing rather than harassing him.

I started out "marveling" at Ulillillia (to use one of Robert's terms from these last few CWC episodes) but once he got on Facebook and started accepting friend requests there, he graduated to full-blown friend territory in my book. I legitimately enjoy reading updates on his life (he just moved cross-country!), and he wishes me a happy birthday every year :3: The world could use more people like Ulillillia.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Did Helldump ever turn into persistent IRL harassment?

I mean, Robert was describing numerous people seeming to befriend Chris Chan, setting up dates (finally, a boyfriend-free girl!), and then welp, it was all for the lulz. It’s like she’s in a perverse Truman Show, except she knows she’s being watched. I can’t imagine what that would do to a person.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not to the level of what happened to Chris Chan but yeah. There's a reason it was closed. Plenty of goons have unfortunately had to deal with real life harassment because of the forums, both in and out of Helldump.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Probably for the best

i never followed ulililila, outside knowing they were apperently a pretty chill but weird person. i followed others like zombaby and bunch of ones no one remembers from chan boards 10 years ago.

Zugzwang posted:

Did Helldump ever turn into persistent IRL harassment?

I mean, Robert was describing numerous people seeming to befriend Chris Chan, setting up dates (finally, a boyfriend-free girl!), and then welp, it was all for the lulz. It’s like she’s in a perverse Truman Show, except she knows she’s being watched. I can’t imagine what that would do to a person.

whats hosed up was those were the "innocent" days of it. you had poo poo like liquid chris and weird poo poo like that, which was weird and gross but just weird hosed up lovely pranks. it got really hosed up once her dad died and most of the older guard quit and then it became a bunch of competing factions over who gets control trolling her. some wanted to gas lite her into believing insane poo poo(and she is someone with a very tenuious grip on reality) or they wanted her free range aka let her do whatever and laugh or cheer at the results. it sorta reminds me of this in game note i found in witcher 3 that was a written by a vampire discussing the various methods of keeping a human population. either you directly control/gently caress with them or you let them "free range" and sorta protect them from other threats.

its hosed up but following and talking about this poo poo(never on KF, just lovely chan boards) was a part of my late teen years and i eventually lost interest mixed with realizing troll poo poo was gross when it exploded justifiably in my face. when the Bad Thing came out and then blew up on twitter, it was loving surreal because i can remember where i was when i learned like its 9/11 or something. its loving weird and depressing how many people spent their teenagehoods watching this loving horror show.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 13, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The only one I remember following in great detail was the dollfucker. I think people were pretty good about don't touch the poop, but it was a while ago.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

The only one I remember following in great detail was the dollfucker. I think people were pretty good about don't touch the poop, but it was a while ago.

yeah, i don't remember SA really going all out on anything except for zombabies dad or something like that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

rotinaj posted:

Probably for the best

I remember ulilila a bit but I dont remember getting obsessed or anything like that, and I think I never heard anything about them for like a decade but it's cool that they're doing well it seems

Chris chan I remember staring more at the people writing the wikis and poo poo for being more hosed up for a while because I just remember clicking some poo poo and then coming to a page where it was tracking every shirt she had ever worn in videos and stuff and :chloe:

I remember this vividly because they were giving the shirts ficking nicknames and tracking frequency and like

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I remember ulilila a bit but I dont remember getting obsessed or anything like that, and I think I never heard anything about them for like a decade but it's cool that they're doing well it seems

Chris chan I remember staring more at the people writing the wikis and poo poo for being more hosed up for a while because I just remember clicking some poo poo and then coming to a page where it was tracking every shirt she had ever worn in videos and stuff and :chloe:

I remember this vividly because they were giving the shirts ficking nicknames and tracking frequency and like

yeah its loving nuts. the timeline and all the "sagas" listings are more nuts in my opinion. its honestly sad because she is hosed and probably was to an extent since she was born. it would have helped if she never engaged online but i kinda think her parents hosed her up so bad she would have probably done some stupid assault crime or worse in a spur of the moment meltdown. i mean her mother helped he almost run over a dude. i think if she is very lucky she gets the unicorn social worker in some health center somewhere and reality cracks in.

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
By the time people were able to mess with Uli on Facebook the mods were taking a hard stance against being mean to him or mocking him directly, if I remember correctly. I loved the Uli story because it ends positive and the people that did interact with him were mostly nice about it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Squashy posted:

By the time people were able to mess with Uli on Facebook the mods were taking a hard stance against being mean to him or mocking him directly, if I remember correctly. I loved the Uli story because it ends positive and the people that did interact with him were mostly nice about it

yeah, its genuinely nice. some of those guys have been able to move on thankfully.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I know quite a bit about this week’s episode and yeah, I still refuse to watch Twilight Zone: The Movie.

Cool that Max Landis inexplicably has a loving career.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

If Robert is going to do more movie stories, it would be interesting if he did Titanic. No, not THAT Titanic, THIS Titanic:

https://militaryhistorynow.com/2020...itime-disaster/
https://www.timesofisrael.com/goebbels-titanic-cinematic-disaster-turns-70/

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 17, 2022

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

teen witch posted:

I know quite a bit about this week’s episode and yeah, I still refuse to watch Twilight Zone: The Movie.

yeah, never have either. but watch the shows, least the originals and some of the 80s ones. peels kinda suck outside His own episode. also the various 80s spinoff stuff like tales from the darkside

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

AceOfFlames posted:

If Robert is going to do more movie stories, it would be interesting if he did Titanic. No, not THAT Titanic, THIS Titanic:

https://militaryhistorynow.com/2020...itime-disaster/
https://www.timesofisrael.com/goebbels-titanic-cinematic-disaster-turns-70/

On this general topic, there was a good documentary a few years ago called Hitler's Hollywood (narrated by Udo Kier) on the Nazi film industry, and the Nazi Titanic is one of the film's covered.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

teen witch posted:

Max Landis has luckily mostly been run out of hollywood/comics since it came out that he was a MASSIVE sex pest/viciously abusive a la Marilyn Manson. Pre-Me Too I think.

Article - CW for accounts of sexual assault and abuse https://variety.com/2019/film/news/max-landis-sexual-assault-accusation-1203246371/

It didn't help that Bright was p much universally panned

not sure if he's snuck his way back in lately though

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

KitConstantine posted:

Max Landis has luckily mostly been run out of hollywood/comics since it came out that he was a MASSIVE sex pest/viciously abusive a la Marilyn Manson. Pre-Me Too I think.

Article - CW for accounts of sexual assault and abuse https://variety.com/2019/film/news/max-landis-sexual-assault-accusation-1203246371/

i believe i have talked about it on the forums before. my gf's mom's boyfriend was good friends with him at one point in college. hell he got one of his cats from him because of a messy breakup. he says he isnt surprised at all from the accusations and while he never saw anything like that, he would apparently have massive loving insane scary mood swings mixed with emotional abuse.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

KitConstantine posted:

He tried to do a third tongue-in-cheek summary of a nerd thing in the vein of Death and Return of Superman / Wrestling Isn't Wrestling last year, only it's just him in front of a green screen for an hour and a half. It's sitting at like 60k views.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Froghammer posted:

He tried to do a third tongue-in-cheek summary of a nerd thing in the vein of Death and Return of Superman / Wrestling Isn't Wrestling last year, only it's just him in front of a green screen for an hour and a half. It's sitting at like 60k views.

thats from years and years ago. i think he latest thing was bright. he was on RLM once before the accusations came out and he clearly genuinely made them uncomfortable the whole time

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
His Youtube channel is...sad. It's just him pitching movies and comic books into the void.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats from years and years ago. i think he latest thing was bright. he was on RLM once before the accusations came out and he clearly genuinely made them uncomfortable the whole time

Oh WOW I’ve always skipped that episode with him! Holy poo poo now I’m morbidly curious

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
(Sees Robert promoting a Simpsons rule 34 tweet)

YOU'RE A BAD MAN ROBERT!!!

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The funniest Max Landis story will always be him pretending to be an ex-girlfriend on another forum that I posted on. 'She' had a weird vendetta against Kelly Kelly and would always praise his stuff a little too much.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

teen witch posted:

Oh WOW I’ve always skipped that episode with him! Holy poo poo now I’m morbidly curious

its mostly him be loud and weird and dickish and going really really hard and evans. like they are clearly having a good time but its kinda clear he is a little too loud and dickish for their taste.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really enjoying these recent episodes on some of the Bastards of Hollywood that we've been getting. Combine protestant white male entitlement with wealth and public adoration and you're bound to produce a sizeable percentage of monsters to decent people. Like I knew John Wayne sucked for some of his political views but it was amusing to hear that he was also a lazy drunk piece of poo poo from day to day as well. And John Landis...absolutely gently caress that guy. I've heard a lot of episodes of this show, but that story (you know the one) is probably the most horrified I've ever been during a listen. He should STILL be in jail.

So now we've heard about Hitchcock (another great series of episodes), Steven Seagal, Weinstein, John Wayne and John Landis...who else is a Hollywood Bastard? Keeping in mind of course that a good Bastard is of course evil, but has also accomplished something that could be seen as impressive or difficult in a vacuum (like being a good actor or making an occasional good movie here or there)

The parts I enjoy the most are stories about on set behavior. I've heard stories about Chevy Chase being hard to work with but I'm sure there are much better candidates than he

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

timp posted:

I'm really enjoying these recent episodes on some of the Bastards of Hollywood that we've been getting. Combine protestant white male entitlement with wealth and public adoration and you're bound to produce a sizeable percentage of monsters to decent people. Like I knew John Wayne sucked for some of his political views but it was amusing to hear that he was also a lazy drunk piece of poo poo from day to day as well. And John Landis...absolutely gently caress that guy. I've heard a lot of episodes of this show, but that story (you know the one) is probably the most horrified I've ever been during a listen. He should STILL be in jail.

So now we've heard about Hitchcock (another great series of episodes), Steven Seagal, Weinstein, John Wayne and John Landis...who else is a Hollywood Bastard? Keeping in mind of course that a good Bastard is of course evil, but has also accomplished something that could be seen as impressive or difficult in a vacuum (like being a good actor or making an occasional good movie here or there)

The parts I enjoy the most are stories about on set behavior. I've heard stories about Chevy Chase being hard to work with but I'm sure there are much better candidates than he

what was the hitchcock one about? i remember reading about him being kinda of hosed up prankster prince type dude and he was loving terrified of cops(like a genuin phobia) and being insanely demanding, like poo poo they accuse kubrick of.

id like to here about Polansky or woody allen. id also like tarantino because as much as i LOVE his movies, he is also kinda of a weird prick though not a sex pest at all apparently.

while i love the super serious ones. i do love the "lighter" ones or the ones about unknown monsters like tann.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 20, 2022

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what was the hitchcock one about? i remember reading about him being kinda of hosed up prankster prince type dude and he was loving terrified of cops(like a genuin phobia) and being insanely demanding, like poo poo they accuse kubrick of.

Yeah pretty much this. It's been a while since I listened but as an example one time he left one of his actors chained up on set overnight, pretending like everyone forgot about him. And yeah, definitely lots of that Kubrick-style "my vision is more important than people's safety" attitude. As recapped in Part 1 of the Landis ep, pretty much everything you see in The Birds is actually happening; he had handlers just throw cages and cages of birds on the actors and they were getting pecked and clawed during every take, sometimes for days at a time until Hitchcock was satisfied they got the shot

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dapper_Swindler posted:

id like to here about Polansky or woody allen. id also like tarantino because as much as i LOVE his movies, he is also kinda of a weird prick though not a sex pest at all apparently.

while i love the super serious ones. i do love the "lighter" ones or the ones about unknown monsters like tann.

it turns out he was really good at getting actors to act traumatized because he was psychologically traumatizing them

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

he physically, mentally, and sexually harassed Tippi Hedren. and stalked her too.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

teen witch posted:

RLM delisted it. I think it's still on their channel, but you used to only be able to find it by going way back in the BotW playlist. I also think it might've been reuploaded by fans since then.

The primary reason to watch that episode is because it's the one with Neil Breen's Double Down. Landis himself does have strong "invited himself to the show" energy.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

id also like tarantino because as much as i LOVE his movies, he is also kinda of a weird prick though not a sex pest at all apparently.

I don't think you could get an entire episode out of Tarantino. The worst thing on his record is likely the car accident on the set of Kill Bill that left Uma Thurman with some permanent damage, and I believe even she's buried that hatchet at this point.

Dude mostly just sits around watching other people's movies.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wanderer posted:

RLM delisted it. I think it's still on their channel, but you used to only be able to find it by going way back in the BotW playlist. I also think it might've been reuploaded by fans since then.

The primary reason to watch that episode is because it's the one with Neil Breen's Double Down. Landis himself does have strong "invited himself to the show" energy.

yeah, i assumed as much with tarantino.

also i am not shocked with rlm delisting it. they are mostly good dudes and Landis came off as a weird douchbag who got weirdly overly aggressive and mean humored, like RLM leans into some hosed up and kinda mean humor, hell one of my favorite bits is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fogrOZESI3o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HDoPtmf7w0 but landis just came off as an edgy shithead kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Tarantino at least went to anti-police brutality protests and pissed off a bunch of cops. So he has that going for him.

He did, by his own admission, know “enough to say something” about Harvey Weinstein. I don’t think that’s atypical for people in his position, but that doesn’t excuse him either.