Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

There is an apocryphal story about how it's a portmanteau of "child homo" so there is potentially a bit of baggage there. It's not the n-word though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Whenever there are big headline auctions, it seems like the selling prices are always like 10x the estimate. Is this because they are bad at estimating or because they give intentionally bad estimates so the auction sounds more successful?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

smackfu posted:

Whenever there are big headline auctions, it seems like the selling prices are always like 10x the estimate. Is this because they are bad at estimating or because they give intentionally bad estimates so the auction sounds more successful?

The latter.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
Why is it when building a food stockpile, you want tins of spam and such, but not things like tins of meatballs or tinned curry?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

OscarDiggs posted:

Why is it when building a food stockpile, you want tins of spam and such, but not things like tins of meatballs or tinned curry?

Er... I give up. Why?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

OscarDiggs posted:

It’s probably a cost thing, you’d want to maximize how many calories you can afford to fill your stockpile I would guess.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

Hyperlynx posted:

Er... I give up. Why?

If I knew I wouldn't have asked.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Spam could be a flavorant in a number of different dishes, where a prepared meal is less flexible.

And I guess calories per volume/weight matters if you consider having to move or trade.

I'm guessing here.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

OscarDiggs posted:

If I knew I wouldn't have asked.

I'm teasing because it's such an oddly phrased question. I don't know what the difference you're getting at between tins of spam and tins of meatballs or curry. Besides which I know nothing about food stockpiles, but definitely also the first thing.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I'm not a big fan of spam but its arguably less gross than canned meat dishes that are meant to have a long shelf life. Hell, it's probably tastier if you have access to a stovetop and some hot sauce and freeze dried vegetables

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

smackfu posted:

Low balling brings in people who can afford the estimate and then will bid on something else to make themselves feel better after getting blown out of the water on their preferred item

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

greazeball posted:

Low balling brings in people who can afford the estimate and then will bid on something else to make themselves feel better after getting blown out of the water on their preferred item

Yeah, the sellers hope to provoke a bidding war, where at least two people who could barely afford the list price get invested in acquiring the sold item, and end up bidding more than they would otherwise spend to avoid missing out.

On a related note, I'm seeing houses sell for 40% over list price in my neighborhood. This isn't the sellers being dumb; it's the same basic strategy as your auctions. Except that it's coupled with a blind bid (buyers don't know what other buyers are offering). I don't know exactly how that affects things, but I'm confident that real estate agents do know, and that if it were advantageous to them to have open bids, then they'd do that instead.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, the sellers hope to provoke a bidding war, where at least two people who could barely afford the list price get invested in acquiring the sold item, and end up bidding more than they would otherwise spend to avoid missing out.

On a related note, I'm seeing houses sell for 40% over list price in my neighborhood. This isn't the sellers being dumb; it's the same basic strategy as your auctions. Except that it's coupled with a blind bid (buyers don't know what other buyers are offering). I don't know exactly how that affects things, but I'm confident that real estate agents do know, and that if it were advantageous to them to have open bids, then they'd do that instead.

Escalation clauses are The Thing in real estate these days. If you really want a house you have no option but to commit the absolute most you can possibly spend in the escalation and hope no one else takes the same strategy.

We just bought and sold homes recently, and it was great as a seller, but absolutely awful as a buyer.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

OscarDiggs posted:

There's no rule saying so, fill your stockpile with all the tinned meatballs you want imo. Your basement ceiling's the limit!

If you mean why is spam the stereotypical stockpile food, I'd guess probably because it was one of the earlier long-lasting preserved/canned meat products out there, and apocalypse prepping first became big in the 50s, so a lot of the imagery we have of bomb shelters etc come from then (and were continued by media based on them, e.g. Fallout)

I'm pretty sure these days people stockpile more dehydrated than canned food anyway.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
The stupidest question.

In the below Calvin and Hobbes, what does Calvin mean when he says "Understudy!"?

I think I understand what an understudy is. Is Calvin calling out for one to take his role because Susie hurt him? Or is there another meaning here I'm missing.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I think that's the joke, that he's hurt and needs the understudy to fill in, but it's not one of the better strips for sure

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Is there a resource to figure out what all the emojis mean when they're sent in Slack? I'm confused by the people using 🙌 all the time, and I don't want to send out any inappropriate emojis like peach or eggplant. Maybe something that expands on https://slack.com/blog/productivity/some-of-the-ways-we-use-emoji-at-slack.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Trickortreat posted:

Is there a resource to figure out what all the emojis mean when they're sent in Slack? I'm confused by the people using 🙌 all the time, and I don't want to send out any inappropriate emojis like peach or eggplant. Maybe something that expands on https://slack.com/blog/productivity/some-of-the-ways-we-use-emoji-at-slack.

https://emojipedia.org/raising-hands/

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

I think that's the joke, that he's hurt and needs the understudy to fill in, but it's not one of the better strips for sure

Either Watterson messed up or the newspapers mandated 4 panels, because there's a solid punchline in the third panel.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Susie's reaction in the fourth panel makes it a literal punchline and I think is the kind of effort that raised C&H above the other bland comics of the time, but I think the strip would've been stronger just with Calvin laid out and not saying anything (but that's because I stumbled so hard over the understudy bit).

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I feel like he had a fair number of strips where the punchline is an earlier panel, but he uses the last panel to really drive the point home to an almost unnecessary degree.

Susie beating the bejesus out of Calvin when he's being a jerk is a standard trope for the comic, though.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
so back in 2016, the LA times did a feature about a surreal saga in irvine, california: the tl;dr of it is that two psycho lawyers planted drugs in the PTA mom's car to get back at her over an imagined slight against their son, but instead they got hilariously owned.

i'm bringing this up because i found out earlier that this saga was supposed to get a movie called Framed starring julia roberts as the PTA mom in this saga, but i haven't been able to find the actual movie itself googling around--no release date or anything. is it still in production hell, or was it just dropped?

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 13, 2022

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Whats Fragmaster up to?

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

so back in 2016, the LA times did a feature about a surreal saga in irvine, california: the tl;dr of it is that two psycho lawyers planted drugs in the PTA mom's car to get back at her over an imagined slight against their son, but instead they got hilariously owned.

i'm bringing this up because i found out earlier that this saga was supposed to get a movie called Framed starring julia roberts as the PTA mom in this saga, but i haven't been able to find the actual movie itself googling around--no release date or anything. is it still in production hell, or was it just dropped?

doesn't seem to be any industry news about it

the author of the book says it's still "soon to be a netflix movie" on their website

you could ask them if you really want to know

https://www.rileyjford.com/film-tv/

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Goon Boots posted:

doesn't seem to be any industry news about it

the author of the book says it's still "soon to be a netflix movie" on their website

you could ask them if you really want to know

https://www.rileyjford.com/film-tv/

aw man. thanks for the link

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
What's the word for these kind of lint clumps that are stuck to threads coming out of the fabric? And what's the best way to get rid of them? A regular lint roller doesn't work because they're physically tangled up in the threads and all.
This is on the arm of a sweater:

I also have a white fuzzy-ish pillowcase that's absolutely covered in the same things, but they're little spots of grey lint (from my grey bedsheets) which makes it look pretty ugly. They don't come out in the dryer either. I even tried running the vaccuum over the pillowcase and no dice.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's called "pilling." You can get clothes shavers whose job is to remove those. I used one ages ago and it worked fine.

edit: Not a rec, this is just the first amazon one I found: https://www.amazon.com/Bymore-Fabri.../dp/B08CX43PWS/

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 13, 2022

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Off topic but that's a fascinating read. Thanks!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Gin posted:

Off topic but that's a fascinating read. Thanks!

Agreed, I spent the last 30 or 45 minutes reading through it all. Anyone who wants more of this kind of thing, I recommend the podcast Dirty John. One season, one story, really good listen. At the end of episode 2 you'll be thinking, how the gently caress can there be any more episodes, that about wraps things up. Nope!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I just signed up for Nextdoor and as best I can tell, it's where the very worst boomers go to moan about how their tax dollars are being spent (improving infrastructure? Protected bike lanes? NOT ON MY loving WATCH!), and advertise yard sales. Is that all it is? I'm not missing something?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That's called "pilling." You can get clothes shavers whose job is to remove those. I used one ages ago and it worked fine.

Just be warned, once you start shaving your sweaters, you'll find yourself shaving couches, blankets, chairs, and anything else you own with old upholstery.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

regulargonzalez posted:

I just signed up for Nextdoor and as best I can tell, it's where the very worst boomers go to moan about how their tax dollars are being spent (improving infrastructure? Protected bike lanes? NOT ON MY loving WATCH!), and advertise yard sales. Is that all it is? I'm not missing something?

nope, that's pretty much it

it's a place for neighborhood gossips to gather in the information age

you may be interested in the GBS next door thread where they compile bommer-iest of nextdoor messages

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960602

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

regulargonzalez posted:

It’s also a place for people to complain about fireworks on July 4th and New Years

Nextdoor is pretty great for lost pet posts though

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I got a ring doorbell and there is some neighborhood group feature on it where you can read about old racist boomers who live nearby saying “I heard some loud bangs last night… Hoodlums with guns?”

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Goon Boots posted:

nope, that's pretty much it

it's a place for neighborhood gossips to gather in the information age

you may be interested in the GBS next door thread where they compile bommer-iest of nextdoor messages

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960602

Insta-bookmark'd

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Yeah the one thing you haven’t seen yet are the racist posts, which are sure to come. “I SMELLED WEED WHEN WALKING THROUGH THE PARK AND THREE BLOCKS LATER I SAW TWO BLACK MEN LAUGHING, I THINK THEY WERE HIGH!” Followed by 10 breathless comments of, “did you call the police?” “No, but what is this neighborhood coming to?!”

The only thing I’ve ever seen on Nextdoor that was worth my time was someone who posted “BRUNO IS LOOSE” with no further information, followed by a neighbor’s comment, “should we be afraid?” I still giggle when I think of it.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I had a local chud threaten to sue me "for liable" because I posted a link to a news article about him once.

I also managed to get someone banned because he was too stunningly racist even for nextdoor.

Other than that though the site just makes me infuriated knowing that these fuckers live near me.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Other popular topics on nextdoor:
  • I just heard a helicopter.
  • I just saw some litter.
  • I just heard sirens.
  • I just saw some teenagers in a public place.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

On an unrelated topic: you know how Facebook will interrupt your feed with a series of suggested friends? Most of them are people I have friends in common with but usually the first person on the list is a 19-23 year old super-thot with a location 2000 miles away and no friends in common. How and why do they appear on my suggested friends list? Do they just somehow pay to appear in that list so if I friend them they can try to scam me or push me to their OF page? Does Facebook actually let you pay to appear in suggested friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Facebook algorithm wants to show you things it thinks you'll click on.