Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

mlmp08 is a grumpy guts but he's right and the extrapolating wildly from single video sources is not bright work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

CommieGIR, if missiles just don’t work, Ukraine’s behavior makes no loving sense. Ukrainian helicopter pilots are also doing the “lob rockets wildly from friendly lines” tactic and the Ukrainian air force flies rather little and when it does, flies while nearly scraping bird nests from treetops.

It's also possible that even if the missiles didn't work and all they had to worry about was WW2 era flak guns and Russian planes they'd probably do this anyway, because each individual airframe is basically irreplaceable in the short term.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

What are you talking about? What 'Lob rockets wildly from friendly lines'? Are you talking about the unguided MLRS systems?

No, I am talking about Ukrainian aviation units and how they avoid SAMs. I am not talking about truck-based systems evading SAMs.

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1525060762254942208?s=21&t=KeCHBfbhoeuRzw5SURQFBA

I think you do not understand SAMs very well and should probably bow out on this argument.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Those are Russian soldiers filming the launches right? I guess I haven't looked but I've never really seen much footage from the Russian side. At least, nothing I haven't purposefully avoided. So, did they upload the videos? If so, to what end? Are they from captured soldiers/phones? Just curious.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Alchenar posted:

mlmp08 is a grumpy guts but he's right and the extrapolating wildly from single video sources is not bright work.

Maybe, but given that issues with Russian issued equipment is a well established and well proven thing right now, between vehicle issues, lack of basic maintenance, and outright failed systems, why would this be the exception.

Again: This system is not why these guys are flying at treetop level, they are avoiding the longer range S-300/S-400 systems that have deep coverage of the Russian front.

mlmp08 posted:

No, I am talking about Ukrainian aviation units and how they avoid SAMs. I am not talking about truck-based systems evading SAMs.

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1525060762254942208?s=21&t=KeCHBfbhoeuRzw5SURQFBA

I think you do not understand SAMs very well and should probably bow out on this argument.

You don't even understand what I'm saying. I am talking about Ukrainian aviation units. You made a claim that Ukraine is 'firing wildly' and I asked what you are talking about. The only rocket based system 'firing wildly' would be MLRS systems. Nobody is wildly firing SAMs

The Ukrainian units fly at tree top level not to avoid these systems, but to avoid longer range systems that are covering the front.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 13, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Again: This system is not why these guys are flying at treetop level, they are avoiding the longer range S-300/S-400 systems that have deep coverage of the Russian front.

That is an incorrect understanding of things. I feel like casual observers at least know about the SA-22 and SA-11/17 by this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

That is an incorrect understanding of things. I feel like casual observers at least know about the SA-22 and SA-11/17 by this point.

Still waiting for you to explain who is wildly firing SAMs

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah you are giving the Russian maintenance system way more credit than its earned given they are issuing vehicles to the front lines with tires that were made in the USSR.

Im not giving it any credit, I'm just saying that one video is not evidence of a given system's reliability. Anecdotes are not data, and all that.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

You are really committing to your misreading of their post.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

CommieGIR posted:

He said this, "Ukrainian helicopter pilots are also doing the “lob rockets wildly from friendly lines” tactic" and posted a video of a helo doing just that.

You're the one with the reading comprehension issue.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Dude, I posted that Ukrainian air power was wildly firing rockets. When you were confused I posted a video of a Ukrainian Hind doing that to make it clearer. I explicitly wrote that I was talking about helicopters wildly firing rockets into the air. I never said a single word abut Ukraine “wildly firing SAMs”

SAMe are NOT rockets. Mi-24s can carry rockets, and we have seem both Russia and Ukraine firing rockets pretty wildly on ballistic trajectories because they fear one another’s short-range air defenses.

SAM systems fire missiles. Missiles are not rockets.

Chill and read before posts before making posts like the above.

E: beaten

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Okay I stand corrected there, and I misunderstood that you meant them trying to avoid SAM systems by shooting wildly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This will surely have the intended geopolitical effects.

https://twitter.com/MarQs__/status/1525142491019763718

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

All that said, we can certainly add those two datapoints to the lengthening trend line of "Russian forces are not doing a great job of maintaining Soviet legacy systems and may not be proficient users of them in general."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

This will surely have the intended geopolitical effects.

https://twitter.com/MarQs__/status/1525142491019763718

Finland get's 10% of their electricity from Russia, but apparently this was an issue with payment

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1525143284812853248?s=20&t=BF4n5xltTb3jD16MnFS7QA

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Are the payment issues that they won't pay in rubles

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Are the payment issues that they won't pay in rubles

It's likely that plus the existing written agreement doesn't require payment in rubles. But it's totally about NATO membership.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/space_osint/status/1506688082657091584

RIP Russia's secure comms capability

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hahahaha holy gently caress

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That was captured like a month ago, bet its already in US hands.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1525200009368686592?t=DQlZVD-ckLNolXN0EG5e7w&s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm gonna make a civ6 faction of Ukraine that gets like +500% when fighting defensive wars

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That's a nice change of pace music wise.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm gonna make a civ6 faction of Ukraine that gets like +500% when fighting defensive wars

+5 gold and production from foreign trade routes while at war, your opponent cannot start new trade routes.

Special unit: Bayraktar - replaces drone. Friendly units within five spaces cannot be seen by enemy units.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

pantslesswithwolves posted:

RIP Russia's secure comms capability

Not quite, this is more RIP Russia's ability to jam radars and protect their equipment from aircraft & PGMs. And according to the article I posted a couple pages back, they seem to have given up using this stuff not long after the war started.

edit: oh and Russia has been talking on cell phones and SC/PT this whole time, this must be like a turkey shoot for the SIGINT & EW folks

bees everywhere fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 13, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Special unit: Babushka - replaces worker. Tiles worked gain +1 food for each unit killed on tile.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bees everywhere posted:

Not quite, this is more RIP Russia's ability to jam radars and protect their equipment from aircraft & PGMs. And according to the article I posted a couple pages back, they seem to have given up using this stuff not long after the war started.

edit: oh and Russia has been talking on cell phones and SC/PT this whole time, this must be like a turkey shoot for the SIGINT & EW folks

It is hard to imagine entering a conflict and having to admit you can’t do anything with your entire concept of EW but here we are

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

+5 gold and production from foreign trade routes while at war, your opponent cannot start new trade routes.

Special unit: Bayraktar - replaces drone. Friendly units within five spaces cannot be seen by enemy units.

Special Unit: Tractor. Once per turn, unit can steal enemy unit in adjacent tile.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Special Unit: Tractor. Once per turn, unit can steal enemy unit in adjacent tile.

Oh that’s good and there’s already an apostle ability that allows you to do that with barbarians.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Actually yeah this, tractor is a regular worker otherwise

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Double adjacency bonus for culture districts when in a defensive war.

Being the target of a war declaration immediately triggers a crisis. All countries supporting the crisis get diplomatic favor based on the number of countries supporting.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I want to watch an anchorman style fight between CIA, NSA, and DIA over who gets to touch it first.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I want to watch an anchorman style fight between CIA, NSA, and DIA over who gets to touch it first.

CIA has already licked all over the container, officially claiming it.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orange juche posted:

CIA has already licked all over the container, officially claiming it.

Yeah, but someone from DIA probably stuck their dick in it first to try and claim it.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

This is super interesting.

We are watching the best of the Soviet Army vs the Modern World.

They are speed running their playbook, and I think we are one significant setback away from Russian deploying non-Nuke CRBNE (or whatever new thing they call it). Everyday, I'm shocked we aren't seeing confirmed Chemical Weapon deployment.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

These gentlemen seem...poorly outfitted
https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1525206092485120000?s=20&t=fL_8qkpQnwjwB3Vuz94m5Q
I find this genuinely upsetting :( especially given reports of Russian press gangs in the 'independent' republics

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Marshal Prolapse posted:

NSA gets to touch it first, CIA gets to touch the officer that was found nearby, and DIA complains about funding.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1525176043539144704

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Looool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Good thing Russian plumbers have more legislative authority than the Russian Duma.