Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

i also played that (graal online) when i was a kid. i distinctly remember fishing, playing some sort of dressup with weird skins or something? weird roleplaying and "internet-girlfriends" (i have no idea who any of these people were). though this was on one of presumably many different worlds or gamemodes or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Also it's simple, 'Theme Park' means 'I play a sandbox MMO and this is a MMO I dislike' and 'Sandbox' means 'I play a Theme Park MMO and this is a MMO I dislike'.

This was the impression I sorta started with but some good posts here regarding sliding scales and whatnot too. Also entirely forgot I played Galaxies.

cmdrk posted:

I’m working on something halfway between that and BYOND. Built from the ground up, more focused on getting some decent network/backend code in place. I want to make it easy to spin up your own realm or discover other people’s content.

Been working on an SS13 styled game engine in rust off and on if you wanna hmu with what you've got so far. We're pretty locked in on a single concept but a bunch of my code should adapt to any sort of tile based stuff.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If ya'll are in here making games, will one of you please make my isometric old west MMO that allows folks to be a cowboy / native american / bandit and build their own ranches / camps / hideouts and run around the world taming horses and robbing banks and getting into all sorts of shenanigans?

Please? I will buy you many coffees or energy drinks or whatever stimulant you need.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ranzear posted:

This was the impression I sorta started with but some good posts here regarding sliding scales and whatnot too. Also entirely forgot I played Galaxies.

Been working on an SS13 styled game engine in rust off and on if you wanna hmu with what you've got so far. We're pretty locked in on a single concept but a bunch of my code should adapt to any sort of tile based stuff.

neat, anything SS13 adjacent is cool

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

kedo posted:

If ya'll are in here making games, will one of you please make my isometric old west MMO that allows folks to be a cowboy / native american / bandit and build their own ranches / camps / hideouts and run around the world taming horses and robbing banks and getting into all sorts of shenanigans?

Please? I will buy you many coffees or energy drinks or whatever stimulant you need.

Please send me a pallet of Monster. I'll have a prototype done by Sunday.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

kedo posted:

*Pablo Nergigante voice* Done.

Also, why isometric?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

30.5 Days posted:

Also, why isometric?

UO inspiration I'm sure, but it's a giant initial pain in the rear end for users learning whether up goes left or left goes left. Rendering is okay, just a visual transform. I've thought about doing a 'partial iso' where it's not a 45 degree rotation but maybe like 20 degrees so up is still up, and this also simplifies basic z-ordering but partial tile ordering is still necessary.

Maybe I'll pop over to the cobol projects subforum and make a thread for whatever I'm deciding to work on. I have both the tile based SS13-esque project and a more analog 2D collision based project on the back burners.

Edit: I suppose it's called 'trimetric projection' or at least that particular one has some nice math and other alignment benefits.

Double edit: Yeah, have investigated this before - A well calculated trimetric projection lends to an equal number of vertical squares as horizonal squares in a 16:9 window while well enough preserving aspect ratio of the standees compared to using 16:9 rectangular tiles in a square projection.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 13, 2022

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeah, UO inspiration. Like a heroin junkie, I'm always searching for something that replicates that first high of my first true MMO. At one point I also (ridiculously) thought that, since I'm some breed of developer (web), it would be feasible for me to pick up game design as a side project and just make my own mmo goddamn it, and I figured isometric would be easier than first person. But, of course, this was a pipe dream.

Ranzear posted:

Maybe I'll pop over to the cobol projects subforum and make a thread for whatever I'm deciding to work on. I have both the tile based SS13-esque project and a more analog 2D collision based project on the back burners.

Definitely do this and post about it here! I for one would be interested in seeing what you produce.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I would like a weird west mmo

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

FrostyPox posted:

I would like a weird west mmo

You'd really have to do something like this to keep it interesting. The Division showed us that spending all day shooting just regular dudes is actually kind of boring, leaning into the demonic angle would be best.

Hell, you can even lean into classic American folklore instead of Lovecraft and do more "someone made a deal with the devil and now the west is hosed" style things.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

brb guys i forgot to pick up the wendigo quest back at the saloon

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Ranzear posted:

Ranzear posted:

Maybe I'll pop over to the cobol projects subforum and make a thread for whatever I'm deciding to work on.

hey that's great! I'm working in Godot for my front-end (and all of the network code is in Erlang on the backend :science:) but I will definitely follow along if you post a thread. I've been taking baby steps with Rust dev (like hello world and getting a taste of the borrow checker) and like what I see so far.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Nerf Rustler, buff Ranger imo.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

blatman posted:

brb guys i forgot to pick up the wendigo quest back at the saloon

Larry Fessenden account spotted

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Also Skinwalkers are cool and creepy

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i have a suggestion for an NPC, he loves playing cards adn always has an ace or five up his sleeve's...

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yes thread, yesssss. Workshop this game until a goon dev feels a burning need to create it...

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

FrostyPox posted:

Also Skinwalkers are cool and creepy

Just pops out of nowhere when you start digging.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

The Skinwalker can kill NPCs it comes across and then takes their form but only repeats one line of dialogue the NPC says, and also somehow looks a bit off but I don't know how that would work in an MMO

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Sorry there is at least a 10 year moratorium on "monster pretends to be normal and you have to figure out who is it" unless you are specifically referencing The Thing. Otherwise your game will just be filled with Amogus memes.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Did The Thing ever travel by vent?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Sorry there is at least a 10 year moratorium on "monster pretends to be normal and you have to figure out who is it" unless you are specifically referencing The Thing. Otherwise your game will just be filled with Amogus memes.

gently caress I forgot about Amogus cuz I don't play it.

I am big mad now :argh:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

kedo posted:

Yes thread, yesssss. Workshop this game until a goon dev feels a burning need to create it...

I'll get the wiki started

Pryce
May 21, 2011

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Did The Thing ever travel by vent?

I think he uses Teamspeak now.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

advertise player housing except its just the ability to set up a tent that gets blown away by the wind overnight

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Goddammit, now I actually want a Weird West MMO, gently caress all of you.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

im going to make my fortune by supplying sawdust to the saloons to use as flooring (its to soak up the spit because nobody uses a spitoon)

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Spitooned!
45 Minutes
You hunkered down in a saloon with insufficient sawdust! Confarn it!

-2 Accuracy

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

cmdrk posted:

Did anyone play Graal Online in the early days, when it was more obviously a rip off of the SNES Zelda? Like the 1.39 days if you’re familiar.

I’ve got loads of great memories of that as a kid.

One of the best things it had was a built in level editor and scripting engine. I spent a ton of time trying to build my own PlayerWorld and made some kinda fun stuff for my friends.

I’m working on something halfway between that and BYOND. Built from the ground up, more focused on getting some decent network/backend code in place. I want to make it easy to spin up your own realm or discover other people’s content. I dunno if that’s sufficiently MMOy for folks but I love those intimately sized game communities. Neverwinter Nights had a similar Persistent World server concept that was really enjoyable as well. Maybe Roblox fills that niche for folks, especially younger people. But eh, I want to build something less exploitative of children.

What do you think? Does something in that vein have a chance in 2022?

Yeah I spent a lot of time on the Valikorlia server I think it was called? Lots of real edgy "Nothing personal kid" *Teleports behind you* roleplay going on.

BYOND has a lot of similar feeling games nowadays, and Roblox i'd imagine as well. I got a similar feeling from asynchronous browser games like The Mush too for some reason, even though it's incredibly different. Might just be the types of community that latch onto those games.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I have no idea where the right place for this is, but I'm interested in playing https://store.steampowered.com/app/1870320/World_Seed/ and was wondering if anyone had tried it. Is it an MMO? Is it a survival game? I have no idea.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
It has a demo(?) at https://worldseed.eu/ too. Poked around at it. I think there are dungeons that are multi-person? But haven't explored that yet. That and the global chat are the most 'multiplayer' I saw in my brief time with it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I want to try world seed but man, little confused.

The game is marked as F2P on steam, but isn't, but is on the website, until full release.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yeah it's a weird game. Chat engagement is weirdly important. The world is randomized every hour, but all the stuff in that world, dropped loot,etc is the same for everybody. And since the search area gets larger as you advance, players sharing locations of stuff is weirdly important, and if you're high enough level you can fast travel to the locations shared in chat.

But it's still just your dude alone on the map as far as I can tell

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

That sounds less like a mmo and more like a sp game with built in Discord.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
Give me an open source Everquest engine or some other MMO engine to be used to build a new game off of. It would be a lot of fun and all kinds of modern tools don't support 200 people in a "zone" today.

I can dream.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Guild wars 2 loves huge groups of people slaying dragons or whatever and it is awful. Too much particle effects

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

PyRosflam posted:

Give me an open source Everquest engine or some other MMO engine to be used to build a new game off of. It would be a lot of fun and all kinds of modern tools don't support 200 people in a "zone" today.

I can dream.

This is my dream too. Just lean into those restrictions of the past. Maybe a server tick every 6 seconds is all a person really needs.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
That was what the "admin" licenses of Legend of Aria were supposed to be, but the support wasn't great, the default codebase was pretty bad, performance was awful, they were outrageously protective of it, and the inability to do anything on the client side was a real drag sometimes.

And of course it phoned home to the license server more or less constantly so when they shut down (they pivoted to blockchain so should be soon) the whole thing's going to stop working.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

cmdrk posted:

This is my dream too. Just lean into those restrictions of the past. Maybe a server tick every 6 seconds is all a person really needs.

If you cap raids at 16 or 24 or something you could move to 3 sec ticks on modern hardware. I'm sure damage and healing could be simplified as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

30.5 Days posted:

That was what the "admin" licenses of Legend of Aria were supposed to be, but the support wasn't great, the default codebase was pretty bad, performance was awful, they were outrageously protective of it, and the inability to do anything on the client side was a real drag sometimes.

And of course it phoned home to the license server more or less constantly so when they shut down (they pivoted to blockchain so should be soon) the whole thing's going to stop working.

Not too surprised. I only remotely cared about it because of the Legends of Ultima server, which got bogged down in its own developer hell.