Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I've been thinking the same thing since VTSAX is diving and I'm anticipating stock grants this year. A quick search turned up https://www.physicianonfire.com/tax-loss-harvesting-vanguard which covers some Vanguard-specific stuff. I'm mostly interested in finding the best alternative to VTSAX to avoid a wash sale since I don't want to sit on my hands for 30 days. All this is probably on bogleheads already.

e: Some bogleheads seem to recommend VFIAX as a TLH partner to VTSAX, which seems close if not ideal.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

A quick follow-up question: I previously sold VTSAX shares using average cost (it was the default and I wasn't thinking about tax loss harvesting).

I've now changed to SpecID, but I believe that change will only allow me to harvest losses on VTSAX lots acquired from this point forward. Is that correct?

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Loucks posted:

e: Some bogleheads seem to recommend VFIAX as a TLH partner to VTSAX, which seems close if not ideal.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Ersatz posted:

A quick follow-up question: I previously sold VTSAX shares using average cost (it was the default and I wasn't thinking about tax loss harvesting).

I've now changed to SpecID, but I believe that change will only allow me to harvest losses on VTSAX lots acquired from this point forward. Is that correct?

Your previous lots (before switching to SpecID) will be forever averaged. Your new lots will be accurate to each purchase. You can still tax loss harvest the old lots, but they will have the pre-switch average cost, so depending on what that cost is, you can still choose to tax loss harvest.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

80k posted:

Your previous lots (before switching to SpecID) will be forever averaged. Your new lots will be accurate to each purchase. You can still tax loss harvest the old lots, but they will have the pre-switch average cost, so depending on what that cost is, you can still choose to tax loss harvest.
Interesting - thanks!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

tpink posted:

Jesus, that’s sad. But also, come on, dude.

:pusheen:

God I hate Crytpo.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Mu Zeta posted:

If you're ever tempted to dabble in gambling then check out all the suicide stuff in this crypto subreddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/terraluna/

What happened that caused the price to drop so much so fast? Is this some scam coin?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Astro7x posted:

What happened that caused the price to drop so much so fast? Is this some scam coin?

My (poor) understanding is that there were two coins tied to each other - Luna and TerraUSD. TerraUSD is supposed to be tethered to the dollar. The way it works is by having a backing of Luna (so basically buying a TerraUSD is like buying the Luna that backs it) and burning or minting new Luna to keep the price the same - if the Luna's value goes down, TerraUSD mints more Luna to prop up its value and if Luna's value goes up, TerraUSD burns Luna to lower its value back down. This works if TerraUSD is very small relative to Luna, such that the minting and burning doesn't cause huge inflation or deflation swings, but guess what happened?

Basically, at one point TerraUSD hit like 50 cents on the dollar and the entire thing collapsed under hyperinflation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have no idea if this is accurate but it seems to be circulating:

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
Well, this sure is an interesting time to have started my investing career with index funds about a month ago. As I understand the numbers should eventually, in theory, go up too :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Fabulous Knight posted:

Well, this sure is an interesting time to have started my investing career with index funds about a month ago. As I understand the numbers should eventually, in theory, go up too :v:

Yes.

That or the global economic order is doomed, but in that case, there's no safe investment other than maybe take some classes in wilderness survival and stock up on canned goods, lol.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
This might be a silly thing to do, but in addition to my regular DCAin, I put in some larger "good until canceled" orders for VTI in the event of 20% drops. I figure I might as well try to view a potential bear market as an intellectual challenge and buying opportunity.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 12, 2022

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

I doubt that the conspiracy theory the Blackrock is taking down crypto is the accurate post. The explainer seems clearer and more plausible/backed up with sources. https://www.todayintabs.com/p/unstable?s=r

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Fabulous Knight posted:

May I present to you the first trade on my account.

It worked out. Eventually.

Leperflesh posted:

Yes.

That or the global economic order is doomed, but in that case, there's no safe investment other than maybe take some classes in wilderness survival and stock up on canned goods, lol.

I am considering selling off a bit of stock to put solar panels on my house!

(not seriously, but I toy around with the idea enough that if things do go seriously pear shaped I'll be kicking myself for the rest of my life, however long that might be)

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Bremen posted:

Yeah, looks like you had a similar start. My understanding of everything is still kind of shaky but in a way I'm sort of glad I started just now since I guess it's a chance to get more assets for less. I'm actually really looking forward to the next purchases, and I kind of hope the markets keep going down until then.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Bremen posted:

I am considering selling off a bit of stock to put solar panels on my house!

(not seriously, but I toy around with the idea enough that if things do go seriously pear shaped I'll be kicking myself for the rest of my life, however long that might be)

Check your state's laws - in North Carolina, solar panels have to be connected to the grid, so they can't power your house if the power goes out (unless you're charging some kind of battery storage).

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mons Hubris posted:

Check your state's laws - in North Carolina, solar panels have to be connected to the grid, so they can't power your house if the power goes out (unless you're charging some kind of battery storage).

How much did this cost the utility companies to get put into law? It's obscenely blatant.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

KillHour posted:

How much did this cost the utility companies to get put into law? It's obscenely blatant.

Connecting solar panels to the grid is generally far better for the homeowner and a net loss for the utility company - it lets you sell off the excess power (at a legally mandated high rate, at least where I live) and avoid needing a battery system, which would be quite expensive. It only really matters if you're trying to set up a power system to work if the power grid goes down, which doesn't really hurt the power company.

That said, this might be getting off topic for the retirement thread. Then again, it might not - it effectively is a long term investment.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bremen posted:

(at a legally mandated high rate, at least where I live)

Yeah, so that's the part that's changing a LOT.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mons Hubris posted:

Maybe this is reductive but if you actually have cash right now, isn’t this actually a good time to invest? Buy low sell high and all that?

i get where you're coming from, but personality types prone to sitting out on the sidelines usually don't follow through with the buy part. if it's cheaper than it was yesterday, surely it will be even cheaper tomorrow. then they miss the bottom and then get scared that prices are now too high to buy. over on bogleheads forum i've seen people who got out of equities in 2008 and are still waiting for the right time to get back in

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
As far as wash sale rules go, there seems to be some IRS guidance that buying into an IRA would run afoul of wash sale rules. I'm well beyond 30 days from doing a Roth backdoor so that's not a problem, but I definitely am buying various index funds twice a month through a 401k and an HSA, and from what I can see there's no specific IRS guidance on those. Obviously not looking for financial advice (:ninja:) but has anyone avoided trying to do some tax loss harvesting because of retirement account contributions?

At the least I'm guessing I can do some extra legwork to find some good funds that aren't "substantially similar" or whatever to any holdings in my retirement accounts to ease my conscience if I wanted to try to harvest losses from my taxable accounts. But I'm just curious whether anyone here has worried about this in the past.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

fourwood posted:

As far as wash sale rules go, there seems to be some IRS guidance that buying into an IRA would run afoul of wash sale rules. I'm well beyond 30 days from doing a Roth backdoor so that's not a problem, but I definitely am buying various index funds twice a month through a 401k and an HSA, and from what I can see there's no specific IRS guidance on those. Obviously not looking for financial advice (:ninja:) but has anyone avoided trying to do some tax loss harvesting because of retirement account contributions?

At the least I'm guessing I can do some extra legwork to find some good funds that aren't "substantially similar" or whatever to any holdings in my retirement accounts to ease my conscience if I wanted to try to harvest losses from my taxable accounts. But I'm just curious whether anyone here has worried about this in the past.

My opinion? Don't worry about it.

401k's being controlled by an administrator seems intentionally left out of the guidelines, but there are of course accountants who believe otherwise. But after decades of no guidance from the IRS and zero evidence of enforcement of this, I think worrying about this is not worth it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KillHour posted:

Net Metering - Great for the individual home owner. Terrible for the utility, the distribution grid, home owner's without solar, renters, multifamily buildings, low income households, etc.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

fourwood posted:

VTI vs VOO. Seems pretty straightforward most of the time to find different-enough funds. If you list what you have and what brokerage(s) you use, I imagine this thread should be able to list some options.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The intention of the wash sale rule is to disallow tax avoidance through brief, inconsequential sell-and-then-buy of an investment.

Your tax-sheltered accounts like an IRA have no tax avoidance because there's no capital gains tax assessed within that sheltered space. You can't avoid taxes you would never have paid.

I think if you did something like: Sell XYZ in your brokerage account, immediately buy that many shares of XYZ in your IRA, then 31 days later sell it in your IRA and buy it back in your brokerage account, you have technically used the IRA to perform a wash sale and gotten to tax loss harvest XYZ while never actually being out of the security.

Don't do that.

But if you're just... moving your stock holding from your brokerage account to your IRA, for long-term holding, that's fine. There's no "taxable basis" for the shares in the IRA because there's no future date on which you sell them and then look at the purchase price and calculate a short or long term taxable capital gain.

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer or your lawyer, always obey the law, consult a professional if you have doubts.

Jul 3, 2004

careful!
Forgetting about your intention, the wash sale rule is very simple and clear, and is more about the timing and the "identical-ness" of the security you are rebuying.

Leperflesh posted:

I think if you did something like: Sell XYZ in your brokerage account, immediately buy that many shares of XYZ in your IRA, then 31 days later sell it in your IRA and buy it back in your brokerage account, you have technically used the IRA to perform a wash sale and gotten to tax loss harvest XYZ while never actually being out of the security.

Don't do that.

Right, that's pretty blatant...

Leperflesh posted:

But if you're just... moving your stock holding from your brokerage account to your IRA, for long-term holding, that's fine. There's no "taxable basis" for the shares in the IRA because there's no future date on which you sell them and then look at the purchase price and calculate a short or long term taxable capital gain.

But that is still a wash sale IF you claimed a loss. Just because your intention was to hold it for the longterm doesn't change the very simple wash sale rule. IRS guidelines are clear. In fact, this is the worst thing you can do. If you do a wash sale in your taxable, it's actually not that bad since the wash is actually added to your basis of the replacement shares for when you eventually sell. If you do the IRA as a wash, you have no basis, as you said, which means you never get that loss back. Again, a pretty clear case that is often talked about in tax circles.

fourwood is talking about 401k's, not IRA's. In 401k's, you can just leave your contributions as-is and not overthink what you are doing in your taxable account. The IRS specifically left 401k's out for this reason... it's somewhat controlled by an administrator, designed to be set-it-and-forget-it, and have no history of going after anyone who does this.

80k fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 13, 2022

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p550.pdf

see page 56

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK I see: If I sold XYZ at a loss in my brokerage account (because it's temporarily below my cost basis), and claim a loss, but buy XYZ in my tax sheltered space and it subsequently goes up, then I can't claim a loss because it is a wash sale.

quote:

You cannot deduct losses from sales or trades
of stock or securities in a wash sale unless the
loss was incurred in the ordinary course of your
business as a dealer in stock or securities.
A wash sale occurs when you sell or trade
stock or securities at a loss and within 30 days
before or after the sale you:
4. Acquire substantially identical stock for
your individual retirement arrangement
(IRA) or Roth IRA.
If your loss was disallowed because of the
wash sale rules, add the disallowed loss to the
cost of the new stock or securities (except in (4)
above).

A plain reading seems to be that you simply don't get to deduct the loss on your taxes, but you can still do the sale, and you don't adjust the cost basis in (4).

But 401(k)s aren't mentioned at all. The implication is that you treat them like a normal account and adjust cost basis, even though cost basis is irrelevant within a 401(k)? Or, are we to understand that the IRS does not consider it a wash sale at all?

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

Leperflesh posted:

But 401(k)s aren't mentioned at all. The implication is that you treat them like a normal account and adjust cost basis, even though cost basis is irrelevant within a 401(k)? Or, are we to understand that the IRS does not consider it a wash sale at all?

The IRS has no guidelines, so there are really no implications. Practically speaking, you almost certainly will not be in trouble leaving some automatic contributions going during the time a loss is taken in your taxable account. My opinion is... just don't worry about it at all. The IRS excluded 401k's for a reason, presumably to avoid this headache on an account that they expect most people not to think about, and has had decades to make guidelines on it, and choose not to worry about it. I suggest we all do the same and don't worry about it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hmm.
:hmmyes:
OK

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
That's interesting, I didn't realize that. I explicitly avoided using the same funds in my taxable and 401k just to prevent the automatic contributions from causing a wash sale. I guess that was not at all necessary.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Since we're talking taxes, here's a hypothetical sequence:

Contribute to Roth in 2021
Contribute to Roth in January, 2022
Recharacterize part of the 2021 Roth contribution to a new Trad IRA in 2022 before tax day (April 18) because they were over the Roth limit
Recharacterize all of the 2022 Roth contribution to that same Trad IRA in 2022 after tax day (April 18) because they were over the Roth limit

The person has no other IRAs.

After doing all that, can the person convert the entire T-IRA to the Roth in 2022 without any weird tax gotchas? I presume there would be taxes to pay on part/all of the conversion, but not double or ongoing taxes somehow, right?

Jul 3, 2004

careful!

pmchem posted:

Since we're talking taxes, here's a hypothetical sequence:

Contribute to Roth in 2021
Contribute to Roth in January, 2022
Recharacterize part of the 2021 Roth contribution to a new Trad IRA in 2022 before tax day (April 18) because they were over the Roth limit
Recharacterize all of the 2022 Roth contribution to that same Trad IRA in 2022 after tax day (April 18) because they were over the Roth limit

The person has no other IRAs.

After doing all that, can the person convert the entire T-IRA to the Roth in 2022 without any weird tax gotchas? I presume there would be taxes to pay on part/all of the conversion, but not double or ongoing taxes somehow, right?

I'm pretty sure this is OK. There used to be a waiting period for certain types of recharacterizations that no longer apply and people still remember them. But there shouldn't be any rule now. Honestly, I would probably lose sleep hoping the 1099-R's are not messed up next year, but there shouldn't be any issue doing what you are proposing.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Turns out I’m a big dummy and my 401k is all in a target date fund anyway. :downs: Then my HSA is in total market and my taxable brokerage is all in VOO, so pretty sure I’m covered on going VOO->VTI, since nothing in my retirement funds is a 500 Index fund to be identical to VOO on any automated purchases coming up. Probably should have figured this out first but it sounded like an interesting discussion and I think that panned out, so thanks y’all.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I was looking into tax loss harvesting and surprised to learn that it’s not a slam dunk that it’s a good thing. Good explanations here. https://rationalreminder.ca/podcast/158

quote:

But you're selling this thing at a loss, which means when you re-buy in the new asset, whatever it is, your cost basis on the new asset is going to be the same as your sale proceeds from what you just sold, which means effectively, because the thing that you sold had a higher cost base, which is why it was at a loss, when you do the re-investment, you're reducing your adjusted cost base relative to if you had not done this procedure. A lower adjusted cost base means when you eventually sell that asset in the future, you're going to have to pay the tax on that amount. So even though you're getting an immediate tax savings by triggering this loss, you're creating a larger future tax liability that should directly offset your immediate tax savings. The difference is in the timing.

quote:

Tax deferral is a good thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that tax loss selling is bad because it's just a deferral. Deferring tax is good.

quote:

Now, in my example, I'm assuming that this person has capital gains to offset. If that's not true and you're just triggering losses for the sake of triggering losses, you can carry those losses forward, but they're not going to do anything for you.

quote:

That's one of the things that comes up when you start digging into when does tax loss selling make sense, one of the criteria is if you're doing a lot of trading. So if you have an actively managed strategy and you are realizing a bunch of gains, then this whole process becomes more compelling, but if you're a buy and hold index investor and you're almost never realizing gains, that diminishes a lot of that.

icecastle
Jun 9, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

This is like posting Q garbage.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

doingitwrong posted:

I was looking into tax loss harvesting and surprised to learn that it’s not a slam dunk that it’s a good thing. Good explanations here. https://rationalreminder.ca/podcast/158
Those are good points, and White Coat Investor takes a few of them on here: https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/tax-loss-harvesting/

In addition to what he says, I have in mind that any capital gains tax that I pay while I'm working is likely to be higher than the 0% rate that I'll likely be paying after retirement (I'm married and don't expect to have an income higher than ~$80k after retirement, even accounting for the 401k).

So, if I harvest now and carry those losses forward to the year I retire, sell my house, and move, I'd expect them to help offset gains realized then. If I were to instead just sit tight without harvesting, I'm not really expecting to benefit from offsetting gains in the future.

I may have some of the above wrong, and would welcome criticism if so. But I think this would be an instance of deferring taxes possibly turning into not having to pay the taxes at all.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 14, 2022

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

icecastle posted:

This is like posting Q garbage.
Cool, please post the real explanation of what happened instead to enlighten the rest of us.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

moana posted:

Cool, please post the real explanation of what happened instead to enlighten the rest of us.

hmm, the burden of proof should not be to explain a mystery if you're pointing out that something is just 4chan conspiracy-theory bait.

"The sky is flashing lights because of aliens fighting Russia!!"
"No that's conspiracy theory garbage"
"Well why then?"
<poster doesn't know the physics of aurora borealis so can't quickly explain it>

as actual related content, coindesk is posting denials by all parties:
https://www.coindesk.com/markets/20...h-ust-collapse/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
Like all conspiracy theories, this one doesn’t even make sense when you think about it for 5 seconds. What is Blackrock’s motivation for trying to crash these coins?