Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

muscles like this! posted:

There was an old webcomic that did something like that as a gag. The Blue Fairy brings a sex doll to life and she instantly hangs herself.

Sexy Losers. Now that's a horrible, horrible blast from the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

There was an old webcomic that did something like that as a gag. The Blue Fairy brings a sex doll to life and she instantly hangs herself.

Sexy Losers, I think. Man I haven't thought of that comic in a long, long time.

E:fb

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Saw Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness yesterday and my IIMM is how quickly of a heel turn Wanda went into the Scarlet Witch between WandaVision and the movie. I enjoyed the themes of exploring grief and the character arc of Wanda in the Disney+ show, so her personality felt… off. Even after her character arc is resolved at the climax, it barely felt earned IMO.

I also hate that all the nerds that can crow about being kinda right in predicting John Krasinski as Reed Richards back in WandaVision because this movie was likely being filmed right around the time of the show so there were sightings of John in costume and people probably conflated the two, but COVID-19 happened and pushed Spider-Man: No Way Home out beforehand.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
My IIMM is that it is almost impossible for me to tell John Krasinski and Zachary Levi apart unless I see both their pictures together.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My IIMM is that it is almost impossible for me to tell John Krasinski and Zachary Levi apart unless I see both their pictures together.

I forgot what Levi looked like so I looked him up, and now I kinda wish he played Mr. Fantastic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Breetai posted:

Sexy Losers. Now that's a horrible, horrible blast from the past.

There's a running gag with the Dutch Wife Fairy. I remember that comic too well. To be fair, it's uh, memorable.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I haven't seen the fourth, but sounds like it more or less follows on from that. The Brave Little Toaster, its spiritual prequel, also fits well here. The relatively vague and open themes of children's media actually fit the exploration of existential ideas- after all, they're not really that complicated, and inherent to every sentient being.

The fourth movie is how a talking doll is basically a kapo overseeing a concentration camp for toys (an antique store). Gabby gabby desperately wants to be a model minority, her main impetuous is fixing her voice box (ie ditching your foreign accent) and in the process will betray and oppress other toys in the process. In spite of imitating the book showing how to hold a teacup and eventually getting a chance to impress the little girl, she gets rejected nonetheless. No amount of voice box phrases or poses can get humans to respect her the way she wants.

Bo Peep goes from being little more than a sexual prize for Woody in the first film to the most actualized toy in the cast. She knows who she is, she doesn't need to be some kind of model minority to justify her existence and doesn't feel the need to cram herself within the confines of human dictated Toy Culture.

Forky explores the notion of agency and suicide. He never got to choose to exist, and would rather not exist. To Woody, this is a ludicrous idea. He was willed into existence by a lonely God, and carries an unjust burden to exist for the happiness of that God. The whole time Woody is trying to reunite them, and it is only when Forky can embrace existence on his own terms that he decides to be the girls toy.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Y'all have just completely hosed any rewatching of Toy Story for me ever :psyduck:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think you guys are overthinking Toy Story a little too much but I'm enjoying reading it.

The really baffling thing is why Buzz, who's entire deal is that he doesn't know he's a toy, plays dead along with everyone else any time a real person shows up and consistently worries about getting busted. Right out of the proverbial box, he thinks he's a space ranger who crash landed on a distant planet and who can fly for real but he still goes limp any time Andy or the mom get near him.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Android Apocalypse posted:

I forgot what Levi looked like so I looked him up, and now I kinda wish he played Mr. Fantastic.
"the guy from Chuck" would have been way better, yeah

they've got similarities but definitely some face-blindness involved in not being able to tell them apart tho

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

BiggerBoat posted:

I think you guys are overthinking Toy Story a little too much but I'm enjoying reading it.

The really baffling thing is why Buzz, who's entire deal is that he doesn't know he's a toy, plays dead along with everyone else any time a real person shows up and consistently worries about getting busted. Right out of the proverbial box, he thinks he's a space ranger who crash landed on a distant planet and who can fly for real but he still goes limp any time Andy or the mom get near him.
This is a survival instinct that all toys possess. It's the reason that even incredibly dimwitted toys like Rex don't blow their cover. In fact Woody getting all the toys to scare Sid was probably very difficult.

It explains how even really needy or emotionally broken toys don't even blow their cover. Key and Peele voiced the bunny/duck toy trapped for years because nobody could win them as a prize for the rigged midway game. These were toys who were "joking" about murdering an old woman to escape the antique store. You'd think they'd be desperate enough to 'come to life' enough to get taken off the wall and escape. But they never did, they played by the rules.

Similarly, Gabby Gabby could talk normally, if she was so desperate to impress that little girl why bother with the voice box? But 'playing the part' was so intrinsically linked to their existence that they couldn't break out of it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Because the other toys/native people do it, so Buzz follows suit, not because he's a toy, in his mind, but because if you're a visitor on an alien world and everyone freezes if a giant monster shows up, you loving freeze too.

I am just so glad Toy Story wasn't out when I was a kid; the idea that my toys could feel betrayal when I didn't play with them anymore, or be sad if I gave them away, or turn into murderous loving monsters if they were replaced, would be worse than any Chucky movie ever. gently caress, I was one panicky anxiety mess of a kid who sometimes worried the stuffed animals I slept with felt left out if they got accidentally kicked off the bed, so they got special love the next day. But then the other toys might be jealous, so do they get another kiss or....this is probably why I chewed my nails till they bled when I was a kid.

I still want a movie with Chucky where the kid he goes to is a loving monster, and Chucky spends most of the movie trying to get the gently caress and stay the gently caress away from him or her.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Where does this scene fit in?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It fits into the garbage

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That level owns though, as you fight an evil doll in a hard boss fight and Woody has a really hard time dealing with the fact that he's having to inflict harm upon fellow toys while Buzz Lightyear freaks out that whatever is turning the toys evil might infect him as well. It's all about personhood and the violation of their agency.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

That level owns though, as you fight an evil doll in a hard boss fight and Woody has a really hard time dealing with the fact that he's having to inflict harm upon fellow toys while Buzz Lightyear freaks out that whatever is turning the toys evil might infect him as well. It's all about personhood and the violation of their agency.

And then Woody calls out the anime edgelord boss for being an rear end in a top hat who refuses to let himself care about other people or be cared about. Interesting that Buzz in particular is worried, because the Kingdom Hearts segment is implied to take place before 3 where he flat out gets brainwashed and his original deluded mental state abused to harm his friends.

The relationship between the children and their toys is also worth exploring, because it doesn't really fit into a single category either; not slaves and their master, or a god and their subjects, or even like, robots and their owner. In some ways the toys can have outright parental concern, especially with Woody implied to be a father figure for Andy, and Toy Story 3 has a lot of clear empty-nest themes. The dynamics between toys differ too; Andy's toys act like a workplace with staff meetings and agendas, while Molly's are more like an improv troupe. Goes along with the different dynamics you see with Sid's toys, who don't mirror his cruelty but are fiercely protective and caring to defend themselves from it, and the daycare toys during and after Lotso's regime show the culture changing.

Allegory is a theme with a lot of Pixar movies and it's a surprisingly tricky tightrope to walk to maintain suspension of disbelief, you have to keep the allegory going well enough to keep people from getting taken out of it, whether children or adults. The toys scaring Sid could maybe be an allegory for Sid's imagination getting carried away with a sudden attack of conscience, of being judged for his cruelty by those he thought were silent and helpless. (He certainly seems a fan of horror movies, he might have watched something with similar themes recently)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The ending of Toy Story 1 is just G-Rated Herbert West.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The thing about Sid is that he doesn't know that toys are sentient. He doesn't do what he do because he's cruel but because to him it's a harmless hobby. It's not even an unusual hobby.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alhazred posted:

The thing about Sid is that he doesn't know that toys are sentient. He doesn't do what he do because he's cruel but because to him it's a harmless hobby. It's not even an unusual hobby.

Uh, Sid is pretty clearly shown to be engaging in cruelty and bullies his sister, actively taking and mangling her toys and rubbing it in her face. Between the very aggressive dog and child able to get dangerous fireworks there's a lot of implications that household isn't healthy.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Sometimes the existence of a movie combined with the fact that I sat through it irritates me. This was the case for the sequel to Drumline. It's just the same movie, except now it's a girl and the "humbling initiation", the "good but they get in a fight and they get demoted/threatened to get removed" and the climax where they win the championship scenes the whole movie is built around are made more ridiculous and over the top. It's irrationally irritating because like with bring it on, there's not really any more you can do with the concept than make it more outlandish, but still.

the movie is not good
Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments: the movie is not good

Cowslips Warren posted:

I am just so glad Toy Story wasn't out when I was a kid; the idea that my toys could feel betrayal when I didn't play with them anymore, or be sad if I gave them away, or turn into murderous loving monsters if they were replaced, would be worse than any Chucky movie ever. gently caress, I was one panicky anxiety mess of a kid who sometimes worried the stuffed animals I slept with felt left out if they got accidentally kicked off the bed, so they got special love the next day. But then the other toys might be jealous, so do they get another kiss or....this is probably why I chewed my nails till they bled when I was a kid.
Along similar lines, the aforementioned Brave Little Toaster was traumatic to a lot of people.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Brave Little Toaster is somewhat worse in that appliances can literally "die", like the Air Conditioner that works itself to death or the blender that gets vivisected by the hardware store owner. There's also less class solidarity as the more "modern" appliances treat the gang with outright hostility.

Like they have a whole musical number about how broken down cars are subject to genocide.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

It's because of that goddamn movie I am still, to this day, hosed up at the idea that I might accidentally suck up my cord while vacuuming and choke the vacuum.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Panfilo posted:

Brave Little Toaster is somewhat worse in that appliances can literally "die", like the Air Conditioner that works itself to death or the blender that gets vivisected by the hardware store owner. There's also less class solidarity as the more "modern" appliances treat the gang with outright hostility.

Like they have a whole musical number about how broken down cars are subject to genocide.

At least they can die, dude.

Like, at least that's an option.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Yeah, remember that toy soldier Sid blew up with an M80? He's still alive, all the scorched fragments scattered all over the yard, still conscious but little more than gravel.

While the toys don't seem to feel pain, they experience the trauma of getting mangled. Ducky and Bunny are horrified to see the dismembered half of a plush unicorn "Is that what we look like...on the inside?". A polly pocket doll is devoured by a cat and later regurgitated. Slinky dog almost gets ripped in two on multiple occasions.

And toys reliant on batteries for locomotion seem particularly vulnerable. RC can only move when his batteries are good. Anyone can control him manually with his remote. Also him and a few other toys can't even talk for some hosed up reason. It's weird, toys like RC are badly handcapped by their function as a toy, toys with specific articulation are bound by that articulation mostly so some dolls move very stiffly.

But then you have Bo Peep, a porcelain lamp decoration that can move perfectly fine. Even when her arm breaks off she can just tape it back together with full range of motion. Rip RCs battery out though and poor guy's a quadriplegic.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009

Breetai posted:

Hmm, would I rather be a boring baby doll, or a badass metal spider baby?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Breetai posted:

I wonder what the in-universe explanation for the cronenberg toys' existence is

Like the crab baby is a baby doll head glued to erector set stuff, and it works. Is it a new toy with a new personality? Did it keep the consciousness of the baby doll? Given the lack of a brain, is a toy's head the locus of conciousness? If that is the case, how is an erector set crane with barbie legs moving around? Also, it seems like attaching diy parts to a toy makes those parts work as part of their body - could any other toy build their own body parts?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's a whole bit in Toy Story 3 involving Mr Potato Head and various elements of that character that really just raise further questions.

I think the best explanation is that the consciousness is distributed evenly among the different parts of the toy, which work collectively when assembled or when choosing to work collectively but which can also function semi-independently. The babyspider probably has limited consciousness from the baby head with little odd bits of ramshackle intelligence from the erector set that it's able to organize when it has spider legs. The cranelegs probably has about half a barbie's worth of consciousness with the odd bits of the erector set which it can use to form intelligence as well.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So from all this I'm getting that Cronenberg should be the one to direct the toy story reboot?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Manager Hoyden posted:

Like the crab baby is a baby doll head glued to erector set stuff, and it works. Is it a new toy with a new personality? Did it keep the consciousness of the baby doll? Given the lack of a brain, is a toy's head the locus of conciousness? If that is the case, how is an erector set crane with barbie legs moving around? Also, it seems like attaching diy parts to a toy makes those parts work as part of their body - could any other toy build their own body parts?
Same way Forky exists. A human believed it to be a discrete individual toy and that gave it sentience. Note that Ducky and Bunny could be argued to be one single toy yet most people would accept "this is two toys sewn together" and thus they have two distinct personalities.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Machine Spirit.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I wouldn’t be surprised if the potato heads work differently just because their whole concept as toys is based around mixing and matching parts

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Okay but what if you take a potato head part and jam it into another toy. Does the potato head just start to take over, or are there two consciousnesses? Important questions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

what if you put the potato head parts in an actual potato and then eat the potato and the potato becomes part of you and you keep doing this do you eventually become mr potato head

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

OwlFancier posted:

what if you put the potato head parts in an actual potato and then eat the potato and the potato becomes part of you and you keep doing this do you eventually become mr potato head

Well, then you're Mr. Potato Head.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
As I've said, the toys gain sentience from a human believing they are a toy upon their creation. In most cases mass produced in a factory. But also Sid's Frankentoys and Bonnie's creation of Forky.

Mr. Potato Head existed as a gestalt that could move and use the pieces of himself. However I don't know how unique that really is, they're inconsistent if a dismembered part of a toy can move/see normally already.

Also, the toy doesn't even have to be humanoid, in one of the Toy Story shorts featuring kids meal toys there's a light up beyblade thing that clearly responds when Zurg is reluctant to leave the display in pursuit of Tiny Buzz. I'm also assuming interactive electronic games might also have sentience like Simon or Bop It.

Another thing I observed is that in most cases these toys don't exist long enough to develop past the "self aware but entirely dependent on a child for emotional needs" phase of their existence. Most of the really old toys we see have gone loving insane for one reason or another (Lotso, Gabby Gabby, Stinky, the cowgirl doll) or are consumed with ennui over the mortality of humans (understanding that kids grow up and lose interest in toys). The only truly enlightened toy is Bo Peep who knows what she is and doesn't let it define her existence. She's the only one that really makes the most out of her immortality and has empathy to not take out her hardships on others.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

OwlFancier posted:

Uh-huh, that's how you get sentient poo.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

That Italian Guy posted:

Only in SA does this statement makes sense and sound reasonable.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

That Italian Guy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlqjtqkoRdM

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Senior Year: It feels like every character Rebel Wilson plays is fundamentally the same. Can we stop? Also 21 jump street handled the concept of older people going back to highschool and growing up a lot better.

e: retracting my comment about billy madison since the same criticism could be made about him, but I'll stay on the record that I liked billy madison more than this movie.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 23:49 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
My 11 year old likes horror movies so I let him watch the original IT tv miniseries and, man, that 2nd half or last third is rough

I can forgive the shoddy effects because you can basically see them using up their budget in real time as the series unfolds. But how the gently caress can none of the grown ups loving ACT and get so blown away by their child actor counterparts?

I've seen John Ritter, Annette O'Toole, Harry Anderson, Richard Thomas, Richard Masur and Dennis Christopher be GOOD in things, if not great, but geez. Bad acting always takes me right out of anything and all these grown up actors loving suck. It's not the writing. More like they only had one take or some poo poo.

Tim Curry chewing scenery is loving great though and saves the whole thing.