Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

Use more commercial grade stuff like Zenitel or axis if you're really that deep into the backend stuff? Go full blown SIP setup if you want to go crazy.

Last time I looked those were all very proprietary backend. SIP doesn't address video and I'm a telecom network engineer by trade so yeah, I'm fine spinning up a session border controller for a doorbell but that's not a realistic thing I've found on the hardware side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

So... what's the most obnoxious thing that's gone missing on the exterior of your house? Someone stole(?) my loving doorbell. Went out front this morning and there's a nice big hole + wires where it ought to be.

It wasn't an expensive one or anything (a dumb-bell, if you will), but what the gently caress, people.

We had a smart doorbell get ripped off recently; guy managed to point it at his face while it was recording, but he was wearing a mask, so :shrug:
It doesn't even work without the home base part mate, what are you doing??

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

Last time I looked those were all very proprietary backend. SIP doesn't address video and I'm a telecom network engineer by trade so yeah, I'm fine spinning up a session border controller for a doorbell but that's not a realistic thing I've found on the hardware side.

I think Axis's ACAP platform is an open SDK, and they support ONVIF. Could use the SIP call as an initiator to pull the RTSP video/audio stream? Pushing it to mobile would be something else I'd imagine. I know it integrates seamlessly with enterprise-grade platforms like Genetec, but lol at running something like that for home automation/security $$$$

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Motronic posted:

It's 2 wires. Take it off and replace it with a regular button. You will need to find the doorbell transformer to remove the bypass on it to make that work (find it, send pics, we can walk you through that).

There are no good options I'm aware of right now for video doorbells, even if you're a home automation nerd trying to roll your own backend systems. Someone please prove me wrong. I will very much appreciate it.

Eufy doesn’t require a subscription and has local storage but it still runs off the company’s servers (there is also HomeKit support but I haven’t touched it). Whether it’s an acceptable form of IoT or not I can’t say; I’ve long since stopped giving the slightest poo poo about sending my lawnmowing activity to the federales and President Xi.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

BigHead posted:

I have to uninstall the PO's Ring doorbell. First, I hate IOT and monthly subscriptions to doorbells. But more importantly, I have no idea what the login and password or whatever the gently caress for it, and as far as I know the PO is peeping on my glorious front lawn hydrangeas. Anyone have good ideas for non-subscription based doorbells? I'm open to anything up to and including the talking door knockers from the Labyrinth.

As Motronic suggested, I also reccomend a button. Ours is a wired one and I swapped it to something cute, made of brass with a tiny bulb in it shat should last another decade at least. For wireless I reccomend just the cheapest option and buy a new one every few years.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I bought this for my front and back doors. Lights up. Looks nice. Feels solid. Would recommend. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FQ57UZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I flash my dong at my Ring doorbell every morning, take that, coppers.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sirotan posted:

I bought this for my front and back doors.

Doorbell on your... Back... door? Was not aware this is an option. Do you have one of those homes where there's a formal front door that's impossible to walk to unless you hop through a formal garden, and the "real" main door is on the side by the car parking area

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Hadlock posted:

Doorbell on your... Back... door? Was not aware this is an option. Do you have one of those homes where there's a formal front door that's impossible to walk to unless you hop through a formal garden, and the "real" main door is on the side by the car parking area

Nah, and I guess it is more like my side door, and is next to the driveway. Side door doesn't really get used much but anytime someone comes to visit and parks in the driveway, they tend to use that door and I just can't hear when people are knocking if I'm on the other side of the house. The doorbell chime does a two tone ding-dong for the front and a single ding for the back so you know which door someone is standing at. It's actually very handy.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Is is worthwhile to hire a paint crew from a dollar perspective? Nah, I could take a long weekend and save on the labor upcharge.

Is it worthwhile to hire a crew of painters so everything gets done in a day and we avoid my toddler trying to wrap herself up in like a ghost using the plastic wrap covering the floors and furniture? 1000%.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

As someone who just finished Newbie Homeowner's First Accent Wall over the course of a long weekend while wrangling two newly-introduced cats, it would take a strong DIY differential to keep me from hiring out my painting task next time

On the plus side I am extremely proud of the clean lines and having touched up the areas around the blinds that hadn't seen fresh paint for 20 years

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I've never paid anybody else to paint an interior before; I grew up in a household where you did it yourself, dammit. I'm too fragile to paint this one, and please don't argue.

Is it possible to find a painter who will, say, paint only the bathrooms, or does it have to be a whole-house job for it to be profitable? And who takes care of moving the furniture, the painters or you?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Is it possible to find a painter who will, say, paint only the bathrooms, or does it have to be a whole-house job for it to be profitable? And who takes care of moving the furniture, the painters or you?

I'm going to be finding this out for my region (WI) soon, I can report back but it may still be a few months out.

POs did a poo poo paint job, but in my dining room/kitchen they then put up a poo poo wallpaper job, then rounded the whole thing out with ANOTHER poo poo paint job on top of the wallpaper. So I'm looking to hire someone to deal with dining room/kitchen area, and then probably my office upstairs that has another poo poo wallpaper job on top of, you guessed it, a poo poo paint job :psyduck:

Planning on painting everything else ourselves - starting on the entry hallway next week during my staycation :coolslime:

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if there are window fans for 20" window frames? Trying to find something that'll push hot air out in conjunction with other fans in one room.

It'll fit a window AC but I'm hoping to avoid those until it gets really really hot.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

Anyone know if there are window fans for 20" window frames? Trying to find something that'll push hot air out in conjunction with other fans in one room.

It'll fit a window AC but I'm hoping to avoid those until it gets really really hot.

this sounds like a job for a 20" box fan

fusionpit
Sep 8, 2005

Does that make me crazy?
College Slice

MJP posted:

Fans directly in a window won't do much, since they mostly gather air from the sides. You will want to move the fan a few feet back from the window, which may require a stand fan.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

fusionpit posted:

Fans directly in a window won't do much, since they mostly gather air from the sides. You will want to move the fan a few feet back from the window, which may require a stand fan.

What?!

Dedicated window fans are excellent, the ones that clip into the window frame. Pulls air from outside of your room and out through the window or pressurize your room with outside air and have it escape from another window or door.

Seems the problem is they are for a minimum 22" window. I like the idea of the 20" box fan if it opens to 20" square. Fill the gaps with cardboard.

fusionpit
Sep 8, 2005

Does that make me crazy?
College Slice

I was referring more to box and stand fans, but Bernoulli's principal is a huge factor: https://youtu.be/1L2ef1CP-yw

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A fan blowing at an open window sucks, yes. We're talking about sealing a fan into a frame with no way for the fan to suck air in from outside. This will create negative pressure in the entire room.

timepenguin
Jul 1, 2006

Precisely.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've never paid anybody else to paint an interior before; I grew up in a household where you did it yourself, dammit. I'm too fragile to paint this one, and please don't argue.

You should be able to find someone to say do just 1 room but I don’t know price wise how someone would charge for a small job vs taking on big jobs.

We are currently having the majority of our house painted and the painters moved everything except the fridge. We only really needed to remove items from walls and removed items from cabinets/bakers rack so when they moved furniture it was easy for them.

I’ve painted so many walls and had my fair share of wallpapering (removal and adding) throughout my parents various houses. So I’m all about DIY and in the past year we have already painted the master, 2 of 3 bedrooms and 1.5 bathrooms. However, our living room has 18ft ceilings and I’m not about messing with scaffolding or an even bigger ladder than I already have. So we decided time vs money we’ll pay someone to do the walls and trim in living room and everything else that more or less connects (stairs, hallways, dining room, kitchen, bonus room) which all said is probably 2300sqft. Plus I just added wainscoting to the dining room and I’d rather let them do it cleanly.

New coats are already improving the spaces tenfold, not sure if it was POs or prior POs but the paint and touch up jobs and the flat paint that was used was awful and it didn’t help it was a brownish color and all switch/outlets were painted over. So next up is replacing god knows how many of those…

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Johnny Truant posted:

POs did a poo poo paint job, but in my dining room/kitchen they then put up a poo poo wallpaper job, then rounded the whole thing out with ANOTHER poo poo paint job on top of the wallpaper. So I'm looking to hire someone to deal with dining room/kitchen area, and then probably my office upstairs that has another poo poo wallpaper job on top of, you guessed it, a poo poo paint job :psyduck:
Our PO did high-quality work for themselves, but they hired a painter to prep for sale who put one coat,which has already worn through, on the floor, and put a skim coat on the kitchen cabinets and woodwork that has peeled off from the force of human hands opening the cabinets. No, neither of us has long nails.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Paint chat, I'm on the second to last room of my house to get painted since I've moved in. It's a bedroom and I scraped the popcorn off and will be painting the entire room a solid deep blue, including trim and door. Yes the ceiling will be blue. No it was not my decision. I am thrilled though to just be able to use the big roller.

This room has the worst prior paint job of any room though. Very thin like the poster above, it's splotchy when you get up close and the sheen is splotchy too.

Unrelated, I'm having a wood fence replaced right now, it should take a few days since it's just one guy, and I'm glad that one guy isn't me. It's about 60ft long, would have been a pretty straight forward gig to do with a buddy, however writing a check is a lot easier. And it's cheap.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

timepenguin posted:

You should be able to find someone to say do just 1 room but I don’t know price wise how someone would charge for a small job vs taking on big jobs...

I deal with this all of the time.

Not just painting, but just about any trade will have a baseline figure that they will charge because whether it's a 120-SF room, or a 3500-SF house, they still have to bring the dog & pony show to your house to set-up. So quotes for say, a bathroom are not scaleable to your 1000-SF finished basement; the small jobs will also seem hideously expensive. If you can get them to do a larger scope of work, the cost gets more reasonable-looking.

The other issue is that many contractors prefer large-scope jobs; they make more money on them; so it can be difficult to find anyone to paint your bathroom, or re-trim one door, etc. If you are getting astronomically-high quotes, the contractor may be telling you that they really don't want the job.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

When I had my previous house painted I had to have a whole floor done at a time otherwise no one wanted the hassle of the small jobs.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm going to be finding this out for my region (WI) soon, I can report back but it may still be a few months out.

Planning on painting everything else ourselves - starting on the entry hallway next week during my staycation :coolslime:

I got a dude here in Milwaukee that did the entire outside of my house (brick plus trim) and all of the inside last summer and then the ceilings over the winter. He's an odd dude but a good painter so depending on where you are in WI, happy to give you a referral.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Well I installed a new ignitor and that didn't fix my furnace issue. I used a thermometer to check and it never went above ambient temp.

Thinking it's either the pressure switch or the control board.

***Wait***

Success. I don't know what happened. I went to test the pressure switch to ensure it was not stuck open or closed, saw it was functioning and then plugged it back in, turned the switch on and bingo. I saw the glow of the igniter and it fired right up.

It was plugged in the whole time so I'm not crazy. It might have been stuck open ... And it just closed. So I might need to replace it soon anyway if this happens again.

Verman fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 13, 2022

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

BigPaddy posted:

When I had my previous house painted I had to have a whole floor done at a time otherwise no one wanted the hassle of the small jobs.

Mine wasn’t a floor, but it was the tricky half of one. Seemed to work out pretty well - they had all the big stuff done by early afternoon and weren’t rushing the detailed work to get done by 5.

The next room up for painting if we expand the family also has a crappy PO paint job and a 6” strip of wallpaper going around at chest height. I should probably tackle it before we’re on a time crunch, but then I’d have to clear out all the stuff we’re storing in there instead of just closing the door and pretending it doesn’t exist :(

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

My line for hiring out painting is how much sketch ladder work is required

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Any tips for protesting property tax appraisals for those of you go have to deal with all that malarkey? Is it recommended to use a service/realtor, or should I just look at Zillow myself for comps and take pictures of things around the house that need fixing?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Gin_Rummy posted:

Any tips for protesting property tax appraisals for those of you go have to deal with all that malarkey? Is it recommended to use a service/realtor, or should I just look at Zillow myself for comps and take pictures of things around the house that need fixing?

Your city should have an appeals process. This will not involve Zillow.

Also to add depending on your cities scheme for assessments (house by house? Census tract? Neighborhood?) you may be looking for relief, not a reassessment. Again they will have a process for this. You should also look for your state laws around assessments.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 14:47 on May 13, 2022

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Gin_Rummy posted:

Most Texas AD's won't take any info from Zillow or whatever.

I've never protested, but some neighbors have. You need to present pictures of the current condition of your property, real comp information from 3 or so local comps, possibly an appraisal from someone licensed, and then a sound reason why your property value should be adjusted. Folks that do all that generally get their property values adjusted down.

There's a whole bunch of screaming about property values in my area (Comal County), but the market is nuts and I don't think a lot of people are going to get the results they think they are by protesting. My appraised value went from 375 to 417 this year, but they're selling the house next door to me, same size and finishes for 500K. Not much to protest.

I'm not a fan of the services, but some folks have reported they've worked. They take a percentage of your savings as payment though and the paperwork isn't that hard to fill out.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
And also, depending on where you live, the protest process, assessment assistance companies, and the county essentially work together in extremely dubious ways.

Why yes, I live in the Chicago area. Why do you ask?

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Most Texas AD's won't take any info from Zillow or whatever.

I've never protested, but some neighbors have. You need to present pictures of the current condition of your property, real comp information from 3 or so local comps, possibly an appraisal from someone licensed, and then a sound reason why your property value should be adjusted. Folks that do all that generally get their property values adjusted down.

There's a whole bunch of screaming about property values in my area (Comal County), but the market is nuts and I don't think a lot of people are going to get the results they think they are by protesting. My appraised value went from 375 to 417 this year, but they're selling the house next door to me, same size and finishes for 500K. Not much to protest.

I'm not a fan of the services, but some folks have reported they've worked. They take a percentage of your savings as payment though and the paperwork isn't that hard to fill out.

Yeah I’m in much the same boat as a North Texan. I fully expect to not get any result from a protest, but figured I should at least try and maybe stop some of the bleeding, rather than just roll over and take it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

This is going to be fun.

Brewerytown and West Philly could see major tax spikes after the new property reassessment

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/p...appy/ar-AAX4XMH

:munch:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Beef Of Ages posted:

I got a dude here in Milwaukee that did the entire outside of my house (brick plus trim) and all of the inside last summer and then the ceilings over the winter. He's an odd dude but a good painter so depending on where you are in WI, happy to give you a referral.

I'll def take the rec if you want to just shoot me a PM! Might be a bit far but I'll never turn down any sort of rec.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

This is going to be fun.

Brewerytown and West Philly could see major tax spikes after the new property reassessment

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/p...appy/ar-AAX4XMH

:munch:

Seems like they won't be chillin out maxin relaxin all cool.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
West Philly is in the process of being gentrified to hell; University City is pushing out there in a major way and they're gonna get whatever they want.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I guess a follow up from a while back. Got a Spacepak air handler system installed. Took 3 days, including upgrading the breaker panel. The only issue we got is the external disconnect got hosed up at some point and needs to get replaced.

We got a Bosch variable speed heat pump system and this thing is keeping our house really comfortable. We'll see how it handles the summer, but it's also only running at 30% capacity and it's sitting in the high 70's.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Replaced my scratch-built catio - the unfinished wood was getting gnarly - with this knock-down kit from the mail-order Evil Empire.

Kit was about $75 more than the materials cost of building one from scratch. It was designed to roll around and had doors. I ditched the doors & wheels.

Dorian is still figuring it out, the other five are even more wary & no one has elected to try the higher floors yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

PainterofCrap posted:

Replaced my scratch-built catio - the unfinished wood was getting gnarly - with this knock-down kit from the mail-order Evil Empire.

Kit was about $75 more than the materials cost of building one from scratch. It was designed to roll around and had doors. I ditched the doors & wheels.

Dorian is still figuring it out, the other five are even more wary & no one has elected to try the higher floors yet.

Link, please.