Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

this is simply not true imo. for example, if grimgrog is giving you a hard time and you raze black crag, where he has his high priority blorc building, then you likely just shut down his entire ability to spam blorcs at you, for possibly a very long time. figuring out where your enemy is spawning his nasty high-tier units and shutting down those settlements is key to fighting efficiently on the campaign map.

If you can do that then why wouldn't you just take or raze all of his settlements? You're just going to raze Black Crag and then disband the army or march it home or are you gonna take the region next to it and the one next to that?

By all means you can play out a little narrative where you role play that that is what happened but it's not going to be a very effective strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

this is simply not true imo. for example, if grimgrog is giving you a hard time and you raze black crag, where he has his high priority blorc building, then you likely just shut down his entire ability to spam blorcs at you, for possibly a very long time. figuring out where your enemy is spawning his nasty high-tier units and shutting down those settlements is key to fighting efficiently on the campaign map.

Yeah but that would involve defeating him, you can't.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

lurksion posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2806253575
More Manual Control (For Non-Artillery Units!)

Seems interesting. Wonder if someone will figure out how to hack in WASD movement next for Warhammer 3 FPS edition. Probably very unlikely

Lmao can't wait for some modder to essentially turn Warhammer into the next Kingdom Under Fire game

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

If you can take Black Crag from Grimgor - his most fortified and powerful settlement - you can simply wipe his faction out.

The enemy's military production heartland is, virtually without exception, always in their strongest and most developed cities. If you can muster the force to get to and smash your enemy's strongest and most developed cities to cripple their military production, you can almost definitionally muster the force to kill them. Any army that can take Black Crag is very likely going to be strong enough to keep killing orcs until there are no more orcs.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

uh why not simply use an agent to Damage Building??

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The AI still draws from building recruitment pools, same as the player. Even if they get bonuses to recruitment speed and cost, taking away the only settlement that gives them high tier units means that their replacement armies will be full of chaff.

This does nothing to change the fact that Grimgrog is literally unbeatable though

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like that even End Times still makes Grimgrog come off as a badass.

quote:

Grimgor later became bound to the Wind of Beasts and commanded a huge army known as the Beast Waaagh! In the process, he managed to conquer the Ogre Kingdoms. Greasus Goldtooth was fiercely vain and independent, and tried to resist, but Grimgor was able to kill the massive monster by clubbing his head in with his own sceptre. The Ogres viewed Grimgor as the living avatar of the Great Maw, and thus the entire Ogre race decided to follow him as well.[4]

With the combined might of the Greenskin and Ogre races, Grimgor cracked the Great Bastion of Cathay and burned the Dragon-fleets of Nippon. The Far East became green. Meanwhile, Greenskin slaves had heard the prophecies of the avatars of Gork and Mork, and slave revolts broke out across the Chaos Dwarf empire. Eventually, the Waaagh! set hundreds upon thousands of Greenskins free from the slave pits and fought against their sadistic masters. In the end, the Chaos Dwarf empire was shattered.[7]

As Grimgor stood upon his ornate throne as a conqueror, he and all of his warriors were suddenly teleported into the vast spires of Middenheim. Gork had sent them to partake in the great battle that would decide the fate of the world...[4]

quote:

"I will not be felled by a beast," Archaon snarled, his voice carrying over the clamour of battle. He surged to his feet, even as Grimgor reached him. "I am Archaon, and I am the end made flesh," he shouted. He slashed out, nearly opening the orc’s belly. "What do you say to that, animal?"

"Grimgor says shut up and die!"

I'm voting Grimgrog.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Did they ever port Grimgor over to Age of Sigmar like they did with every other factions "big names"?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

If you can do that then why wouldn't you just take or raze all of his settlements? You're just going to raze Black Crag and then disband the army or march it home or are you gonna take the region next to it and the one next to that?

By all means you can play out a little narrative where you role play that that is what happened but it's not going to be a very effective strategy.

No, because Grimgor can make multiple armies and send them out. You can bypass them and hit strategically with one tough army instead of playing defense or whack a stack.

Another example that comes up frequently is whether to counterattack Manfred in Stirland or Talabecland, or if you just bypass him in the field and destroy Sylvania, reducing him to much weaker recruitment while his powerful armies slowly get whitttled down by the AI.

Anyway the complained of impossible task was hitting Nuln, a city which isn’t known as a pushover, to take out the empire artillery production. You can definitely do that, just not very effectively with Nuln (because they usually don’t confederate with Franz very quickly).

Lt. Danger posted:

uh why not simply use an agent to Damage Building??

This works too

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Collapsing Farts posted:

Did they ever port Grimgor over to Age of Sigmar like they did with every other factions "big names"?

Sadly no, although the first playable Orc force in Age of Sigmar is I think the Ironhidez or something like that.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Black crag and Karaz a Karak are both real close to the frontlines, black crag especially theres been a number of times where I've been able to take it but not neccesarily hold it because theres a lot more orc out there but long term they're severely diminished. Of course that doesnt mean the overall point isnt mostly right, its capitals and big cities and in 3k food provinces that are the ones that matter the most

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Damage Building doesn't actually do anything though

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lt. Danger posted:

Damage Building doesn't actually do anything though

Yeah it reduces the output of econ buildings but damaging a recruitment building does nothing.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

No, because Grimgor can make multiple armies and send them out. You can bypass them and hit strategically with one tough army instead of playing defense or whack a stack.

Another example that comes up frequently is whether to counterattack Manfred in Stirland or Talabecland, or if you just bypass him in the field and destroy Sylvania, reducing him to much weaker recruitment while his powerful armies slowly get whitttled down by the AI.

Anyway the complained of impossible task was hitting Nuln, a city which isn’t known as a pushover, to take out the empire artillery production. You can definitely do that, just not very effectively with Nuln (because they usually don’t confederate with Franz very quickly).

This works too

I hate to break it to you but you suck at TW games. You're talking about things as challenges that I barely even think of as trivial obstacles.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Another trivial obstacle, he sighed, as he autoresolves with his 20 stack again.

This isn't really a burn at you, this is mostly how I end up playing every TW

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I hate to break it to you but you suck at TW games. You're talking about things as challenges that I barely even think of as trivial obstacles.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
conquering the fantasy gnome kingdoms is mere childs play to a military mind such as my own

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Also there is no real incentive or reason have something like "take out Nuln to cripple artillery" when basically every province is as good at producing artillery as Nuln is. The landmark is nice but it's not like it's the only way to get artillery.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
its someone coming up with a narrative to enjoy their game more, and it's fine, and cool

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The real crime is that Nuln is represented as the capital of Wissenland under Emmanuelle von Liebwitz, when every true fan knows it's an independent city-state hotly contested between Reikland and Wissenland. Elspeth von Draken rules Nuln, and the province is de facto under the Toppenheimers of Pfeildorf. Wissenland more like lol.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:22 on May 13, 2022

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The real crime is that Nuln is represented as the capital of Wissenland under Emmanuelle von Liebwitz, when every true fan knows it's an independent city-state hotly contested between Reikland and Wissenland. Elspeth von Draken rules Nuln, and the province is de facto under the Toppenheimers of Pfeildorf. Wissenland more like lol.

Wow, I sure hope somebody was fired for that blunder.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Out of a cannon, hopefully, towards an enemy of the Empire

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

This is such a good post.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

this too long for a thread title?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Gonkish posted:

I mean the "theaters" thing is completely unexplained and entirely speculatory, we have no idea if it's anything substantial or just something the coders used for their own clarification. Don't read too much into it.

The Reddit thread also has this:

quote:

Theaters don't have anything in common with the theaters in ETW. They are already in use in WH2 and are used for diplomacy & AI. An Ulthuan theater groups several factions together which would be expected to see certain changes for a Tyrion play through for example. That's why Wulfrik is included, because he's supposed to invade Ulthuan, not start on it.

The Screenshot you've posted isn't a confirmation of a startposition either, it merely shows a camera route. This can indicate Nkaris homeregion, but it could also just be his army starting there with his capital being somewhere else. Considering that the Nkari marker is for Tyrion's intro, this could also indicate a custom start change, i.e. AI Nkari gets moved to Ulthuan if the player starts a Tyrion campaign, while Nkari starts somewhere else when controlled by the player.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

However will CA live this one down?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

sounds like this failspeth can suck it lol

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Elspeth better be a DLC LL or I will write several sternly worded posts that no one will read because they will make less sense than your average Arghy post. :colbert:

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
If you are doing a Dwarf game taking out Black Crag certainly helps. And taking out Sylvania makes the vampires easier to deal with too. This is true no matter how much you have played the game. Knowing this is not a symptom of "sucking at the game".

Maybe you think this is trivial because only play on normal battle difficulty Funky.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 14, 2022

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I thought Nuln was capital of Wissenland but countess Von Liebwitz was trying to turn it into an independent city that she would be the Elector Countess of and could give rump Wissenland to a political ally?

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Lords of the realm 2 had this really cool (and very frustrating in multiplayer) scorched earth feature where whatever you did with your town was actually represented on the strategic map, meaning that an invading army could go off the road and wander into your fields, burning them to the ground and destroying your grain production. Then of course it also had real time battles with hundreds of units. No total war game has actually managed to improve upon it IMO. All your buildings and farming etc are just abstracted to slots in a menu.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
In medieval 2 you could identify buildings you built in city maps and if they were hit by a siege weapon the building would actually be damaged afterwards.

Atilla also had you able to burn whole cities to the ground with fire based attacks, it was neat but I mostly remember it just setting my graphics card on fire.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oof that was a bit of a dickhead post for me to make. I was kind of shitfaced at the time. I'm not really sure what I was going for but I hope it was a bit that I just faceplanted. Anyway, sorry DrZimbardo I'm sure you don't suck at TW nearly as much as I suck at posting.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
ok that’s very nice of you but the post was hilarious

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Carcer posted:

In medieval 2 you could identify buildings you built in city maps and if they were hit by a siege weapon the building would actually be damaged afterwards.

Atilla also had you able to burn whole cities to the ground with fire based attacks, it was neat but I mostly remember it just setting my graphics card on fire.

Atilla's newish 1212 AD mod is a very good Medieval III if y'all are wanting a TW fix while waiting for Hams III to get better.

CA definitely had a sorcerer curse Atilla though. Got a PC that can run the modern TWs on max settings, while streaming, but Atilla still makes it struggle.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I was born into a long line of Princes, renowned commanders all! I studied at the Diesdorf Military College! Where did you study, some shack a hedge witch called a "school"?

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
*gets defeated by a 10 stack of basic archers at Agincourt*

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

It would be dumb but very on theme to have Bretonnian cavalry get antsy and suffer "Primal Instincts" "Honor Demands It!" if they're left alone too long.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Tirranek posted:

It would be dumb but very on theme to have Bretonnian cavalry get antsy and suffer "Primal Instincts" "Honor Demands It!" if they're left alone too long.

I wonder if some of the overhaul mods back in 2 have done this already. It could easily be built using the current system of status effects and triggers/disable flags. I never got into SFO 2 so I'm not sure

You can give units an attribute that would make them rampage if they have not charged in X many seconds, or rampage and auto attack if they are within x many feet of an enemy and not charging for too long. Then turn off once they engage in melee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Huh Kostaltyn gets to do some fun stuff with unit recruitment

Literally instant free army everywhere in the span of a turn or two after recovery time