Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Here's a gross question.

I'm moving soon. Do I leave the bolt on seat/bidet on the toilet? Or replace it with a regular one for the new owners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Here's a gross question.

I'm moving soon. Do I leave the bolt on seat/bidet on the toilet? Or replace it with a regular one for the new owners?

Are you moving from a house you owned or from a rental? If it's a rental and you bought it, bring it with you. If it's a house, things bolted in place can be complicated. I got my free tv because it was mounted to the wall, therefore it came with the house. There's a term for this but I don't recall it at the moment. Not sure if it applies to toilet seats.

I would like to think nobody out there will kill a home purchase over a used clip-on bidet but I'm sure they're out there.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Verman posted:

Are you moving from a house you owned or from a rental? If it's a rental and you bought it, bring it with you. If it's a house, things bolted in place can be complicated. I got my free tv because it was mounted to the wall, therefore it came with the house. There's a term for this but I don't recall it at the moment. Not sure if it applies to toilet seats.

I would like to think nobody out there will kill a home purchase over a used clip-on bidet but I'm sure they're out there.

Convey. If it conveys, it stays.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

This turned out nice - had a local guy build this. Need to paint it this weekend.

Radiator covers cost so much more than I would’ve thought.

Next projects on the list:

- deck repair, painting, and sealing
- repointing on the side of the house

And this was in a house with very minor upgrades needed!

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Upgrade posted:

This turned out nice - had a local guy build this. Need to paint it this weekend.

Looks super nice!

nwin posted:

Convey. If it conveys, it stays.

Yeah thinking ill leave it. It was there during showing, theres language that nothing with the house materially changes between showing and closing so yeah.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MrLogan posted:

Link, please.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JLJKLF8?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_dt_b_asin_title

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Looks super nice!

Yeah thinking ill leave it. It was there during showing, theres language that nothing with the house materially changes between showing and closing so yeah.

Oh sorry, I was talking to the other person asking what the term was to stipulate if something comes with the house.

If I moved into a place with a bidet, I kinda think I’d uninstall it and replace it with my own unless it was a really nice one. I’m moving out of my rental and have a cheap one I got from tooshy but I’ll probably just junk it because it’s a few years old and I don’t want to move it with my other stuff.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
We just got back from a week in London and I was again reminded that we poop like absolute savages in the United States, ie, without a Toto Washlet.

The PO redid all of the bathrooms in our house to look like this:

All of them have in-wall tanks and no visible connections to water. I'm guessing that installing a Toto washlet would involve a GC/a lot of money, right?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Ask me in a month once I've gotten off my rear end and finally called around for quotes to install a Toto wall hung toilet. But you don't need to do that if you just want the washlet part, it can be installed inline with the existing toilet water supply. You will need an electrical outlet nearby, however.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What are your opinions on snaking a garden hose through the bathroom window

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sirotan posted:

Ask me in a month once I've gotten off my rear end and finally called around for quotes to install a Toto wall hung toilet. But you don't need to do that if you just want the washlet part, it can be installed inline with the existing toilet water supply. You will need an electrical outlet nearby, however.

Yeah but my water is all in the wall?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah but my water is all in the wall?

Derp. Somehow thought the photo was toilets you saw on your trip and failed to comprehend your entire message. In that case, yes. A lot of the European made wall hung toilet carriers don't actually have water outlets where you'd need to plug in a washlet (Toto does, Geberit does not) so you're looking at busting open the wall and running a new water line.

Edit:
If you can figure out what model of toilet carrier is in your wall, it's possible you could get an add-on kit. Here's a screenshot of an email I got back from a Geberit vendor when I specifically asked about washlet water connections. I also uploaded the washlet connection information they sent me in a PDF. May or may not be helpful for you.

PDF: https://www.file.io/PzIN/download/xAdtOVbI1laK (If someone has a better idea for an anonymous file share site please let me know)

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 14, 2022

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
That's super helpful, thanks. Looks like there's a Geberit inside the wall. What does one of these water connection kits do? Do you essentially end up with a secondary water connection on the side of the wall/toilet, or is there something more complex that it does/does it directly connect to a washlet?

ie, does it just make more sense to buy a new toilet with a built in bidet.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Residency Evil posted:

That's super helpful, thanks. Looks like there's a Geberit inside the wall. What does one of these water connection kits do? Do you essentially end up with a secondary water connection on the side of the wall/toilet, or is there something more complex that it does/does it directly connect to a washlet?

ie, does it just make more sense to buy a new toilet with a built in bidet.

Check that PDF I uploaded, it has pics of what the connections look like depending on washlet model. Yes you end up with a water connection on the side of the wall somewhere. Unfortunately a lot of them look like absolute garbage due to the number of adapters you need. I decided I was gonna go with a Toto brand carrier after they sent me this because they have the washlet water outlet integrated in the carrier and the bowl styles allows you to completely hide the power and water connections under it vs next to it like the Geberit.

New toilet is gonna cost you $$$$

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
My wife and I are interested in air conditioning. Summers in Seattle are getting warmer every year and portable units are not great. For the time being, I just want a vertical casement window unit for our bedroom. More efficient than a portable unit and no floor space being used or water to be emptied.

That's about $500. It's a temporary solution for the next year or so but it will leave us comfortable at night which is all we really need. We've only been in the house a year so we have a few other things we're throwing money at like redoing the yard and painting the exterior.

My wife on the other hand is asking about central air. We have a forced air gas furnace and floor ducts but the furnace was installed in 1998 so it's likely close to the end of it's life. My thought is to do it all at once when the time comes in the next year or so. New furnace and air conditioning at the same time. I just don't think the time is right now. She's asking if we can just install air conditioning with our current furnace. We might be able to but I would prefer to wait until we do the furnace also so that the units are designed to work together and the warranties are aligned. Plus it will likely be cheaper at once vs two separate installs.

My buddy keeps recommending mini splits but since I already have a furnace and duct work, I would rather not have those on my walls. We've got a mid century house and I just don't like the look of the units.

Seems like a decent plan right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Sirotan posted:

Check that PDF I uploaded, it has pics of what the connections look like depending on washlet model. Yes you end up with a water connection on the side of the wall somewhere. Unfortunately a lot of them look like absolute garbage due to the number of adapters you need. I decided I was gonna go with a Toto brand carrier after they sent me this because they have the washlet water outlet integrated in the carrier and the bowl styles allows you to completely hide the power and water connections under it vs next to it like the Geberit.

New toilet is gonna cost you $$$$

Ah yeah, the PDF makes it pretty clear. The bummer is that all of the bathrooms were replaced/redone in this house in the past year and a half or so. Seems like if we were to do it, it'd make the most sense to replace everything with Toto stuff.

I guess I'll keep on pooping like a savage. :sigh:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Residency Evil posted:

Ah yeah, the PDF makes it pretty clear. The bummer is that all of the bathrooms were replaced/redone in this house in the past year and a half or so. Seems like if we were to do it, it'd make the most sense to replace everything with Toto stuff.

I guess I'll keep on pooping like a savage. :sigh:

Did you miss the hose through a window post?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If the vanity was right next to the toilet you could probably tap in that way. It would work, but look only marginally better than a hose through the window.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Just make a ramp dude

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

This is probably how I’d do it.
No.

(The original photo didn't show the layout well, but a ramp with a reasonable slope would have blocked a door, protruded into the walkway in front of the workbench, and into my parking spot.)

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Elephanthead posted:

Did you miss the hose through a window post?

Just imagine the pressure!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TerminalSaint posted:

No.

(The original photo didn't show the layout well, but a ramp with a reasonable slope would have blocked a door, protruded into the walkway in front of the workbench, and into my parking spot.)

Looks good. Sometimes I take the hard way and gently caress it up anyway so congrats.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Verman posted:

My wife and I are interested in air conditioning. Summers in Seattle are getting warmer every year and portable units are not great. For the time being, I just want a vertical casement window unit for our bedroom. More efficient than a portable unit and no floor space being used or water to be emptied.

That's about $500. It's a temporary solution for the next year or so but it will leave us comfortable at night which is all we really need. We've only been in the house a year so we have a few other things we're throwing money at like redoing the yard and painting the exterior.

My wife on the other hand is asking about central air. We have a forced air gas furnace and floor ducts but the furnace was installed in 1998 so it's likely close to the end of it's life. My thought is to do it all at once when the time comes in the next year or so. New furnace and air conditioning at the same time. I just don't think the time is right now. She's asking if we can just install air conditioning with our current furnace. We might be able to but I would prefer to wait until we do the furnace also so that the units are designed to work together and the warranties are aligned. Plus it will likely be cheaper at once vs two separate installs.

My buddy keeps recommending mini splits but since I already have a furnace and duct work, I would rather not have those on my walls. We've got a mid century house and I just don't like the look of the units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rqZZgVxnCk

On the serious note I should have my heat pump installed by this time next week. They did offer a discount to do the furnace and coil install at the same time. I would for sure get them both done together. I agree that minisplit are not as attractive as using the ductwork you already have.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Mini splits are great for places that get hot and cold but not that cold in the winter. Cheaper and less invasive than putting in central air would be as well. Have if you do it then think about if you want to run multiple heads. Say one downstairs and smaller ones in bedrooms. My previous home had a single head mini split and I was thinking of having it replaced with a multi head unit so I could put a unit upstairs as well. Was cheaper than two separate units would have been.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Verman posted:

I think so; our house had central heat via a gas furnace with all the ducting so adding the AC was relatively trivial and surprisingly less expensive than I expected. However, aligning warranties and stuff seems like more trouble than it's worth, especially as summer approaches.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

StormDrain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rqZZgVxnCk

On the serious note I should have my heat pump installed by this time next week. They did offer a discount to do the furnace and coil install at the same time. I would for sure get them both done together. I agree that minisplit are not as attractive as using the ductwork you already have.

The Sears commercial takes me back. Also I never noticed the “and you know Sears will be there to back it up” line :newlol:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Beef Of Ages posted:

I think so; our house had central heat via a gas furnace with all the ducting so adding the AC was relatively trivial and surprisingly less expensive than I expected. However, aligning warranties and stuff seems like more trouble than it's worth, especially as summer approaches.

I have a 20 year old central AC/gas furnace so I am budgeting for death of those systems soon. The technician I spoke with says it really doesn't save very much to replace both at the same time vs. one at a time, and he would rather opt to keep the system that is working while replacing the other one, since it might still be good for 5 years or whatever.

Not sure if that is correct but that's what the dude said.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Being Seattle, we hit 109 last year which was bananas, but its usually hot for a week or two and a portable unit in our bedroom was fine enough. This summer is just going to be too expensive for a full furnace replacement and ac install and I don't want to add ac think I'm just going to do a window unit for this summer and pony up next year for both. It's a single story mid century ranch so there's no basement.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Verman posted:

Being Seattle, we hit 109 last year which was bananas, but its usually hot for a week or two and a portable unit in our bedroom was fine enough. This summer is just going to be too expensive for a full furnace replacement and ac install and I don't want to add ac think I'm just going to do a window unit for this summer and pony up next year for both. It's a single story mid century ranch so there's no basement.

It might be worth looking into a ducted heat pump system that can do both AC and heating. I got a Bosch 3 ton variable speed unit and I haven't gotten a chance to test it's heating ability, but it does a great job cooling. Only reason why I'm not using it primary for heating is that we have a radiator system already in place.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

BigPaddy posted:

Mini splits are great for places that get hot and cold but not that cold in the winter.

This is the common take in this thread but Norway is one of the world leaders in heat pump installations. Do they mostly use central heat pumps instead of mini splits or something?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I need a sanity check on a house and what kind of work it would need.

Saw a place today for $625,000. POs are boomers looking to ditch their nest for sunny California. POs didn't have the best priorities - relatively new deck, jacuzzi in the backyard, kitchen relatively recently renovated (but no vent hood for the stove???), brand spanking new toilet-and-shower bathroom in the basement.

On the other hand: oil heating is old, neglected, and blocked off (I have no idea how the tank gets refilled or serviced), water heater is over a decade old and needs replacement, no AC aside from one wall AC from the 90s, half of the basement is half-assed-half-finished and yet used as a spare bedroom, the driveway has multiple potholes, the siding is crumbling, no access to the attic whatsoever (just a panel dropped over a square hole in the ceiling), sewage pipes are Amontillado'd behind some lovely new planks and seem corroded, walls are all plaster and who knows what's behind them, poured concrete foundation has some cracks and is a bit suspect, and the garage uhhhhhhhhh

Yeah.

The location is okay though not stellar, and the commute isn't great for me. I don't like the layout of the living room, the layout of the kitchen kinda sucks, and the driveway is weirdly shaped and narrower than I'd be happy with. Just for that, I'm not really feeling the place, and I'm going to pass on it.

But I can't help but wonder idly about the work it'd need anyway:

• Demolish the garage: $_____
  • Remove the jacuzzi: $_____
  • Repave the driveway: $_____
  • Remove the oil tank and oil heating: $_____
  • Add heat pumps for heating and cooling: $_____
  • Replace the siding: $_____
  • Replace the cast iron sewage pipes with PVC: $_____
  • Cut in attic access: $_____
  • Various layout fixes (e.g. unfuck the basement): $_____

This all sounds possible, but also like a lot. Probably more than I'm willing to deal with. Normally this would just look like typical upkeep and a bit of remodeling, but the one-two punch of the emaciated garage and the dipshit jacuzzi are enough to just put me off of the whole place.

Would it actually be sane to take on this much work in this economy/market? Keeping in mind that contractors are hard to get ahold of right now.

:sigh: If the commute was better, I'd genuinely consider it. But as-is, it's not worth it.

BigPaddy posted:

Mini splits are great for places that get hot and cold but not that cold in the winter. Cheaper and less invasive than putting in central air would be as well. Have if you do it then think about if you want to run multiple heads. Say one downstairs and smaller ones in bedrooms. My previous home had a single head mini split and I was thinking of having it replaced with a multi head unit so I could put a unit upstairs as well. Was cheaper than two separate units would have been.

Hmm. Does that mean it'd be inadvisable to install mini-splits as a replacement for old oil heating in Massachusetts? Boston can get pretty cold over the winter. Especially if it's a two-story home, I hear that ground source heat pumps are better than air source.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Personally I wouldn’t touch that house with a stolen dick.

As for mini splits I used mine in the winter in conjunction with my oil heating. It couldn’t keep the place warm by itself but it did help keep oil use down.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, the whole thing just felt like a bad idea. Sucks, too, cause I was kinda into it until I showed up. Then it really went to poo poo.

Good to know re: mini-splits. A lot of Boston houses have either neglected oil heating, or neglected central furnace heating. I often have to think about what it would take to kill one or the other. It would be nice to have heat-pump or electric heating.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I know that the claimed low temperature limits on a heat pump are not at full capacity. Of course, the lower the temperature outside, the more capacity you need. Is there a calculator anywhere to figure out the btu available at the lower temperature?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That house is a piece of poo poo. It's probably close to being a tear down if that's how the detached garage looks (which is 100% a teardown).

You've been constantly saying you want someplace that is "move in ready" and doesn't require a lot of work. Why are you even bothering to look at/post about houses like that?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Motronic posted:

That house is a piece of poo poo. It's probably close to being a tear down if that's how the detached garage looks (which is 100% a teardown).

You've been constantly saying you want someplace that is "move in ready" and doesn't require a lot of work. Why are you even bothering to look at/post about houses like that?

Because it looked nice from the photos but the photos don't tell you the whole story and realtors will realtor and you should never buy a house sight unseen? This is really not that out of the ordinary.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Because it looked nice from the photos but the photos don't tell you the whole story and realtors will realtor and you should never buy a house sight unseen? This is really not that out of the ordinary.

Your agent should be getting disclosures for properties you might want too look at. If they are aware of your preferences they should have looked at those disclosures and told you not to waste your time on this one.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You're not legally required to provide disclosure forms in Massachusetts, and a lot of places here have owners who are either clueless or unscrupulous and therefore won't. I don't think any of the four homes I saw this weekend had disclosure forms. I'll start asking for disclosure forms up front for houses that interest me, but there's no guarantee I'll get them.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
What’s the difference between a dipshit jacuzzi and a regular jacuzzi

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Whether it’s located in freezing-rear end Greater Boston or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Is it a built in thing or a free standing hot tub? I had one in NH and yeah winterizing it sucked and I always paid someone to get it ready in the spring because ain’t got time for messing with dead mouse filled water.