Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I find this amusing.

https://twitter.com/LairdBarron/status/1520030728595124225?s=20&t=tC2sfdWWddg9T_XWjGm_lA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
...I did not have "Laird Barron is a Greyhawk/BX grog" on my 2022 bingo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

If you're running a DG campaign set around the Fall of DG, this short film is some awesome inspo. Definitely C-tier writing, acting, and production value you'd expect from an amateur short film, but for what it is I really liked it.

There were also some anachronisms that had me :spergin: like a reference to JSOC and some gun nerd poo poo but whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0V24IEHao

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 8, 2022

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The 2022 Night at the Opera Summer Jam is open! Not a contest, but a chance to write neat Delta Green related stuff, and to riff on other people's ideas to build a stack of useful, fun, interesting things for Delta Green.

Details here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aV-LlownvxYZ9U3auv8UjynpoAwJmAOx-qZjEJgF-dA/edit?usp=sharing

The core loop is that you write up a cool thing, a setpiece, an npc, an artifact, a group, a houserule, etc. You submit it, then you take someone else's cool thing and write a new cool thing adjacent to it. Someone wrote up a cult, maybe you write up their central tome, or the deprogrammer trying to bring them down.

Jam runs though July 4th.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hi thread! I wrote a custom scenario for my campaign, and I'm pretty happy with how most of it has come out. I'd love to get some feedback from folks on it, as I still feel like the last part of it could be made a lot more concrete and tighter, when compared to the beginning of the scenario. A lot of it was heavily inspired by the Delta Green scenario "Observer Effect", the structure of which I adapted for a 1930s setting and to fit with the overarching themes of my campaign.

The Furious Engine.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

DrSunshine posted:

Hi thread! I wrote a custom scenario for my campaign, and I'm pretty happy with how most of it has come out. I'd love to get some feedback from folks on it, as I still feel like the last part of it could be made a lot more concrete and tighter, when compared to the beginning of the scenario. A lot of it was heavily inspired by the Delta Green scenario "Observer Effect", the structure of which I adapted for a 1930s setting and to fit with the overarching themes of my campaign.

The Furious Engine.

The problem with this scenario is that you have created an even more extreme version of CoCs "nothing matters, we are all doomed" problem. By making it a stable timeloop, you have told the players their actions are meaningless, as the world will end July 9th, 2029, no matter what they do. What reason is there to continue the campaign?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

The problem with this scenario is that you have created an even more extreme version of CoCs "nothing matters, we are all doomed" problem. By making it a stable timeloop, you have told the players their actions are meaningless, as the world will end July 9th, 2029, no matter what they do. What reason is there to continue the campaign?

I legit never thought about that. Uh...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Maybe they each have something they want to know? Looping video games usually have some way for you to resolve the loop. But on the way there you usually learn more and more about the world. You could decide that that's your focus, but you're going to want the characters to each be very curious about something that they don't know the first time around.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

DrSunshine posted:

I legit never thought about that. Uh...

you have to let there be an out that resolves the loop but prevents the convergence.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mycroft Holmes posted:

you have to let there be an out that resolves the loop but prevents the convergence.
Have an additional discovery, or insight, be found somehow or other - the complication on this new 'status quo,' although you may wish to place it indefinintely into the future. (Although to be fair, for people in the 1930s, an end date of 2029 is certainly soon enough to be motivated, but not so soon that they will necessarily want to just go home and die.)

Let that insight be that this injury, damage, this acceleration, can be reversed - the method is very simple - consciousness must cease! If there is no consciousness of the appropriate sort in the appropriate space at the time, then the sheet unbends; the crack seals up; in time it is as if it was never there in the first place. The marks and the chains are eroded. And if that time should be done then consciousness may return. This presents its own challenge: How could you make this anything other than cyclical epochs?

The answer is some form of stasis.

Destroy your minds trying to figure out ways to do it. Stasis fields? Locking people away? The Yithian hack, if you want to get hardcore? (The Yithians couldn't figure it out, but perhaps they'll help if contact can be made.)

But in the end, the final end, reach a solution or the draft of one: a sort of hibernation; modifying the body and frame, or at least the underlying conscious substrate, to be enduring... and then altering it in order to remain static, without consciousness, for immense periods. Perhaps a very, very, very slow cognition eludes the macro-spatial effects. Perhaps in this way, through periods of great estivation, people can continue to live... to develop, in a punctuated equilibrium. Perhaps these far-future beings could only have tenures on a single planet, around a single star, that would be measured in a handful of periods of revival, expansion and work before they would have to seek another, but by God, they'd be human, after a fashion. They could live, and study, and love.

These Great Old Ones, Sarnoque continued, were not composed altogether of flesh and blood. They had shape—for did not this star-fashioned image prove it?—but that shape was not made of matter. When the stars were right, They could plunge from world to world through the sky; but when the stars were wrong, They could not live. But although They no longer lived, They would never really die. They all lay in stone houses in Their great city of Utopia, preserved by the spells of the mighty one for a glorious resurrection when the stars and the earth might once more be ready for Them. But at that time some force from outside must serve to liberate Their bodies. The spells that preserved Them intact likewise prevented Them from making an initial move, and They could only lie awake in the dark and think whilst uncounted millions of years rolled by. They knew all that was occurring in the universe, but Their mode of speech was transmitted thought. Even now They talked in Their tombs. When, after infinities of chaos, the first kren came, the Great Old Ones spoke to the sensitive among them by moulding their dreams; for only thus could Their language reach the fleshly minds of erythridates.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Given that there's 90 years of time between the return of the dodecahedron and the Great Convergence, I think as long as you don't use your GM powers to officially declare the future foreclosed the plot is fine.

I've only skimmed, I'll edit once I've fully read but:

Szabo Karoly needs to die to prevent apocalypse, right? That was what sent the student back in time? At some point there is an opportunity for her to communicate with the PCs? The investigators are in the 30s, he is in the 30s. If I was a player and my GM ran me through this game and at the conclusion did *NOT* say 'hah hah, all is vanity, you lose even though you won, smoke em if you got em, go kill a white rhino, who gives a gently caress!"? ...If they did NOT say that?

I would immediately assume, 'Oh poo poo, this is module one of a whole campaign our DM has set up for us to find this Szabo Karoly guy and kill him!'

Honestly, this could be a good setup for an Achtung! Cthulhu campaign. There are secret evil thoughts that if thought about too much by too many people hastens on the apocalypse seems like the exact kind of Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe/Wolfenstein eldritch stuff that your characters could end up shooting out of the brains of Nazi and Japanese (and Russian and American?) scientists during WWII and after.

Since that's probably not what you're after, Nessus' suggestion makes sense. Reminds me of the plot of one of the Star Control games. A transdimensional monster wakes and eats consciousness once a threshold of sentient life is crossed, and so the 'progenitor race' of the setting turned themselves into non-sentient cattle animals to survive it.

I might be misreading, but you say that the investigation begins Nov 1, the world ends Nov 4, and they need to get from PA to California before the world ends on 1934 tech? You mention that air would work, but that seems to be about it. Your travel durations for train and car are way longer than the investigators even start with, and if I read right, it's not a full Groundhog Day, when the world ends they wake up one day *later* than when they started on the last loop?

Also, N.B.
I'm from NEPA. A thing that gets lost in our recency bias (conveniently for presidential mythmaking) is that Scranton/WB area was actually a pretty wealthy place at the time. We were the 'electric city' because we had electric lighting and trolleycars before NYC did. Think San Fran, LOTS of wealth and LOTS of inequality. By the time Joe moved out the New Deal and unionization had leveled it out and it was arguably a good place to live. It wasn't till Knox Mine that we became the prototype for blown out post industrial, hanging-a-dead-elephant-off-a-crane joke cities that we are now. In case you need to scene set.

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 24, 2022

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

PipHelix posted:

Szabo Karoly needs to die to prevent apocalypse, right? That was what sent the student back in time? At some point there is an opportunity for her to communicate with the PCs? The investigators are in the 30s, he is in the 30s. If I was a player and my GM ran me through this game and at the conclusion did *NOT* say 'hah hah, all is vanity, you lose even though you won, smoke em if you got em, go kill a white rhino, who gives a gently caress!"? ...If they did NOT say that?

I would immediately assume, 'Oh poo poo, this is module one of a whole campaign our DM has set up for us to find this Szabo Karoly guy and kill him!'

This is the third ostensible scenario in the campaign, but Karoly is already dead by the time it rolls around. MaKenzie goes back in time but because the historical records are scanty and her Cthulhu math is untested, winds up with the wrong "time coordinates" and her time travel fizzles, sending her to the wrong time. Though his notes and published papers could still serve as a 'contagion' for an overarching campaign theme of gathering and suppressing the knowledge vectors before they spread! Or maybe they could form the basis of a mathematical cult (like the "Pythagorean Society" in the summer jam for example).

For background, my campaign centers around Daoloth, the Render of Veils, who is depicted as a kind of negative/anti Azathoth, whose influence causes the universe's mathematical and physical laws to warp towards a state incompatible with sanity and normal existence. In my depiction of the mythos, Daoloth is a kind of "perverted order" whereas Azathoth is "insane chaos". The Convergence is a manifestation of Daoloth's power finally melting through and causing the universe to transition into being part of the greater underlying reality (sort of inspired by the theory of false vacuum decay).

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Good old Daoloth the giant-rear end weird clock that's so complicated you go insane from your eyes trying to follow his form.

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

DrSunshine posted:

Though his notes and published papers could still serve as a 'contagion' for an overarching campaign theme of gathering and suppressing the knowledge vectors before they spread! Or maybe they could form the basis of a mathematical cult (like the "Pythagorean Society" in the summer jam for example).

I mean, language goes where it goes but the original meanings of 'meme' and 'viral' with respect to ideas, and the passing of knowledge are seemingly pretty relevant here. Your guys have bought themselves *at least* 90 years, but there's no reason that they can't keep moving the horizon back.

Spend a groundhog day timeloop asking the grad student "look yes, you're in dinosaur times, the world is gonna end, evil crystal, yes yes yes we know. Lets talk about your *boyfriend*. Where's his family from? Ever meet his parents? What were their names? Better yet, grandparents?" As they clean their guns and consult the paper for weddings/baby announcements.

"In this module you manipulate the stock market and war profiteer to enable yourself to buy a stretch of california coastline and mineral rights to the seabed, then lock them up in an airtight perpetual trust. Roll for Int or Credit Rating."

E: Never heard of Daoloth, but checking out his description, if I had him in a module, I'd just hand this out:

And say 'this but real'. Also, eyes between the legs.

E: Hours later, this has been bugging me in the back of my mind and it just snapped in:

A lowest energy state is equilibrium, and equilibrium is the state of maximum entropy. Not trying to jerk the wheel from you here on headcanon, especially given how much work you've obviously done on the module so far BUT:
Time's arrow leads inexorably to maximal entropy, the destruction of order and the eventual heat death of our own doomed universe, (which we can do nothing to prevent or slow and that doesn't seem to bug people too much - I'm not so down on downer endings as some people here :) ).

THEREFORE, a fully malicious order god would... attempt to run that arrow backwards. Maybe not all the way to the Big Bang, I'm not sure a roughly uniform universe of hot hydrogen is more 'ordered' than a fully uniform universe of cold iron, even though the Big Bang is technically at a much lower entropy state. Anyway, given this module is already about traveling back in time or in temporal loops, it would be maybe not the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, but at least a good one, for an evil order god to trick someone into loving with the flow of time and thus entropy.

Also, the investigators remember the catastrophe if they're killed on Timeout, what about the other people in the world? I'm thinking Vonnegut's Timequake where the Groundhog Day effect isn't limited to one special human, EVERYONE remembers the reset and not coincidentally EVERYONE goes temporarily stark raving in the aftermath.

PS, I really dig your ideas. I remember you discussing this module when it was just an idea and it really came together nice. Good Job!

PipHelix fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 25, 2022

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Issue 3 of Whispers of the Dead is out. This free Delta Green fan-zine is full of scenarios, artifacts, creatures, handler advice and short stories.

The editors are also accepting submissions for the next issue, so consider submitting any Delta Green content you would like to share. If you're on the fence, this is an excellent way to get your stuff layouted by graphic designers. Here's what they did with my microfiction:

mellonbread fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 27, 2022

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013
Anyone else received their boxed sets from the Classic Kickstarter? I seem to have received a duplicate 1920 Sourcebook for mine, curious if anyone else experienced anything similar.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I got mine, but only opened the 2” box as the other is a gift for a buddy of mine. Didn’t find anything out of order, so maybe you got lucky?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Freakie posted:

Anyone else received their boxed sets from the Classic Kickstarter? I seem to have received a duplicate 1920 Sourcebook for mine, curious if anyone else experienced anything similar.

Mine only shipped yesterday, so I'll probably not see it till sometime next week

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Have you guys read the new Keeper Tips book from Chaosium? Would you recommend it?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

PipHelix posted:

I mean, language goes where it goes but the original meanings of 'meme' and 'viral' with respect to ideas, and the passing of knowledge are seemingly pretty relevant here. Your guys have bought themselves *at least* 90 years, but there's no reason that they can't keep moving the horizon back.

Spend a groundhog day timeloop asking the grad student "look yes, you're in dinosaur times, the world is gonna end, evil crystal, yes yes yes we know. Lets talk about your *boyfriend*. Where's his family from? Ever meet his parents? What were their names? Better yet, grandparents?" As they clean their guns and consult the paper for weddings/baby announcements.

"In this module you manipulate the stock market and war profiteer to enable yourself to buy a stretch of california coastline and mineral rights to the seabed, then lock them up in an airtight perpetual trust. Roll for Int or Credit Rating."

E: Never heard of Daoloth, but checking out his description, if I had him in a module, I'd just hand this out:

And say 'this but real'. Also, eyes between the legs.

E: Hours later, this has been bugging me in the back of my mind and it just snapped in:

A lowest energy state is equilibrium, and equilibrium is the state of maximum entropy. Not trying to jerk the wheel from you here on headcanon, especially given how much work you've obviously done on the module so far BUT:
Time's arrow leads inexorably to maximal entropy, the destruction of order and the eventual heat death of our own doomed universe, (which we can do nothing to prevent or slow and that doesn't seem to bug people too much - I'm not so down on downer endings as some people here :) ).

THEREFORE, a fully malicious order god would... attempt to run that arrow backwards. Maybe not all the way to the Big Bang, I'm not sure a roughly uniform universe of hot hydrogen is more 'ordered' than a fully uniform universe of cold iron, even though the Big Bang is technically at a much lower entropy state. Anyway, given this module is already about traveling back in time or in temporal loops, it would be maybe not the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, but at least a good one, for an evil order god to trick someone into loving with the flow of time and thus entropy.

Also, the investigators remember the catastrophe if they're killed on Timeout, what about the other people in the world? I'm thinking Vonnegut's Timequake where the Groundhog Day effect isn't limited to one special human, EVERYONE remembers the reset and not coincidentally EVERYONE goes temporarily stark raving in the aftermath.

I like this idea, and it's very similar to the 'ultimate horrible truth' that the characters will discover hopefully someday in the campaign. I've just concluded this adventure, and the players ended up throwing the dodecahedron in the sea, though it seems they believe they've escaped the time loop rather than just playing their part in its inevitable fate. Perhaps I can introduce Azathoth as Daoloth's polar opposite, and pose the players with a choice. Do they help Azathoth and doom the universe to an insane thriving out of control, a reckless Gotterdamerung of fire and chaos? Or do they accept Daoloth, embrace the hypergeometric infection of causality, and do their part to help the universe converge into a new, crystalline order?

quote:

PS, I really dig your ideas. I remember you discussing this module when it was just an idea and it really came together nice. Good Job!

Oh thank you! I'm glad you like them. I love the theme of 'spooky math and physics', as a person who's into those subjects, and I hope at least that my unorthodox take on the mythos is enjoyable to my players. They seem to be loving it so far!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Siivola posted:

Have you guys read the new Keeper Tips book from Chaosium? Would you recommend it?

I have not, but if you are looking for advice in that vein allow me to highly recommend Graham Walmsley's Stealing Cthulhu.

quote:

Many Cthulhu games feel the same. You shoot cultists. You do rituals. You unearth a buried god that's like every other god you've dug up. This book shows you how to make your games new and horrifying: by stealing from H. P. Lovecraft.

Stealing Cthulhu is my guide to Lovecraftian storytelling for roleplaying games. Its central idea is: by stealing, adapting and combining Lovecraft’s ideas, you can create scenarios that seem new and horrific. It includes Cthulhu Dark, my rules-light system for Cthulhu gaming.

$10 on DriveThru. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/106251/Stealing-Cthulhu

Another reason I like Stealing Cthulhu, is that you don't just get Walmsley's opinion. The pdf is full of annotations from other authors with their perspectives on Lovecraft's writings and how to make adventures fresh and scary again.

Also if you want FREE advice on writing adventures then I'd recommend Issue 3 of Whispers of the Dead where mellonbread wrote an article on the subject.

In addition there is an article in there called Seven Ways to Assassinate Your Agents, which contains good ideas for how to scare/threaten your player's characters.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Neat! Thanks for the tips, that book sounds great.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Siivola posted:

Neat! Thanks for the tips, that book sounds great.

Also if you happen to buy the Keeper Tips book, please report back. I've been eyeing it myself, but there are so many sales on DriveThru right now that my attention is diverted.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stealing Cthulhu eh? Seems like a solid plan. This book looks great but I have to let the money pit refill.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Since there is interest I'll post a little about what advice there is in Stealing Cthulhu.

First off the annotations around the book are written by Kenneth Hite, Gareth Hanrahan, and Jason Morningstar. However the below advice is straight from Graham Walmsley.

quote:

Introduction

When you’ve played many Cthulhu scenarios, they start
to look the same. You shoot cultists. You do rituals. You
unearth a buried god that’s similar to every other god you’ve
dug up.

This book makes a strange suggestion: to write original
scenarios, go back to Lovecraft. Copy his ideas, adapt them
and use them again. Graft parts of his stories together. Steal
his plots, locations and tropes, tweak them and reuse them.

Throughout this book, you’ll see four patterns repeated.
The first is: steal an idea from Lovecraft, change it and reuse
it. The second: steal an idea, emphasise something that
Lovecraft didn’t emphasise and reuse the idea. The third
is: steal various ideas and combine parts of each. And the
fourth: take a Lovecraftian1 theme and riff on it.2 Although
they are simple ideas, they work well. You’ll be surprised
how little you need to do. Don’t try to be strikingly original.
Don’t worry about being accurate or consistent.3 Just play
around with Lovecraft’s ideas and you’ll create something
fresh and original.

quote:

Switching Viewpoints

When Lovecraft describes something happening to his
protagonist,1 make that happen to an NPC instead. When
he describes something happening to a supporting character,
let that happen to your Investigators.

This is a powerful switch, letting us tell Lovecraft stories
from a different angle. Here are examples of things that
happen to Lovecraft’s protagonists, shifted to NPCs:...

quote:

CREATING INVESTIGATIONS

So far, we have copied Lovecraft’s stories. But we’re not
writing stories. We’re playing games: games in which
Investigators uncover mysteries.

So, in the next two sections, we convert Lovecraft’s
stories into investigative scenarios. In this section, Creating
Investigations, we change his plots into investigations. In
the next, The Investigators, we’ll convert his protagonists
into Investigators.

NOT INVESTIGATING.

Lovecraft’s stories are not investigations. There are rarely
clues to follow or mysteries to solve. Likewise, Lovecraft’s
protagonists are not investigators. They encounter the
horror, rather than actively uncovering it.

For example, in The Call of Cthulhu, the protagonist never
picks locks, translates documents, uses libraries or does
anything we would recognise as investigation. Similarly,
he never persuades or questions people. Instead, everyone
he meets is willing to talk.1

Also this deconstruction and resynthesis advice for Lovecraft could very easily apply to other author's works. Maybe riff on Agatha Christie or the supernatural investigation plots of Jim Butcher. Yes, I really like this book.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Stealing Cthulhu is a bit cheaper on the author's shopfront ($8 vs $10, may be a limited-time sale). I got it but haven't read it yet. Got his Cthulhu Dark in hardcover and PDF, haven't read that yet, either, although I've heard good things.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Are A Time to Harvest or Cults of Cthulhu available in print yet? Those are the two most recent Chaosium titles I remember hearing anything about.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Are A Time to Harvest or Cults of Cthulhu available in print yet? Those are the two most recent Chaosium titles I remember hearing anything about.

For Cults of Cthulhu a hardback has yet to be announced it seems. You can get the PDF from DriveThru or Chaosium right now for the same price. However the Chaosium online store says:

quote:

Buy now and get a coupon for the printed version later!

So you want to purchase the physical version, but really want to get your hands on so you don't have to wait. We have you covered! If you purchase a PDF we will send you a discount coupon just before the physical book goes on sale to offset the PDF purchase price you have already paid.

https://www.chaosium.com/cults-of-cthulhu-pdf/

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013
IIRC Chaosium usually can take some time to go from PDF to print on most of their titles. It'll get there eventually, though. Their store credit on the PDFs are pretty tempting, though.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I've bought a few of their deals, and it's honestly a heck of a bargain. I didn't buy from them for a while cuz of the NFT thing, but lately I've found most every single brand, band, and filmed media I like lost their shirts on the NFT scam, so I can at least take solace in the fact that I'm compensating them better than that scam :V

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I buy all their stuff from my local shop and get the PDFs for free via the bits and mortar program. I have a pull on new CoC stuff, but it’s been months since I got a call, so I wasn’t sure if they forgot or what.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

My copy of the 40th Anniversary box set arrived on Tuesday, surprisingly big box full of great stuff

Freakie
Oct 30, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

My copy of the 40th Anniversary box set arrived on Tuesday, surprisingly big box full of great stuff

Can confirm. Especially when they something extra on accident. :smugdog:

I'll also say that as an European, their prices are outrageously cheap even without any sales, since they charge USD only with almost no tax and local shipping. I'll wager it might be 20-30% cheaper than local stores on average.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Just the fact they have a European warehouse is bonkers.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sasha_d3ath posted:

I've bought a few of their deals, and it's honestly a heck of a bargain. I didn't buy from them for a while cuz of the NFT thing, but lately I've found most every single brand, band, and filmed media I like lost their shirts on the NFT scam, so I can at least take solace in the fact that I'm compensating them better than that scam :V

They backed off from the NFT thing after not too long of a public outcry. So the only big issue now is that they're still doing business with Sandy Petersen.

Edit: typo!

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jun 9, 2022

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They backed off from the NFT thing after not too long of a public outcry. So the only big issue now is that they're still doing business with Sandy Peterson.

What's the problem with Sandy Peterson? I don't keep up with the drama. Is he like a sex weirdo or a racist or something?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DrSunshine posted:

What's the problem with Sandy Peterson? I don't keep up with the drama. Is he like a sex weirdo or a racist or something?

Dodgy business practices with respect to his own company's Cthulhu Wars, also a transphobe.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They backed off from the NFT thing after not too long of a public outcry. So the only big issue now is that they're still doing business with Sandy Petersen.

Edit: typo!

From my recollection they haven't done anything new with Sandy in a while and while he's still credited for his work that's included in the 40th Anniversary box set, I don't believe he's getting paid in any way for this release

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

drrockso20 posted:

From my recollection they haven't done anything new with Sandy in a while and while he's still credited for his work that's included in the 40th Anniversary box set, I don't believe he's getting paid in any way for this release

As of October of last year they were still promoting him as a licensee:

quote:

Call of Cthulhu Terror Paths:
Sandy Petersen returns again to Lovecraftian gaming with a new board game

Forty years ago Sandy's roleplaying game Call of Cthulhu was published by Chaosium. It changed the world of gaming and also made the then-obscure writer Lovecraft and his creations (such as Cthulhu) both cultural phenomena.

Now Sandy Petersen is back with a new board game inspired by the Call of Cthulhu RPG, and produced under license from Chaosium Inc.

"It’s terrific to re-activate my old connections with Chaosium and work closely with them once more. I look forward to introducing new players to the horror of Lovecraft’s tales with a fast and easy to play board game. It also has the depth and detail to fascinate even the most experienced gamer. It provides an authentic and unique Call of Cthulhu experience. The game design is done and I consider Call of Cthulhu Terror Paths my personal contribution to the 40th anniversary of Call of Cthulhu!" — Sandy Petersen

Terror crawls beneath the surface of our world.
Secret passages lead to hideous destinations that bear witness to unspeakable deeds.
Hidden in the shadows THEY want to bring about events to shatter the minds of mankind and tear asunder the cosmos itself.

Expected release will be in 2022.
More information about Call of Cthulhu Terror Paths can be found at the Petersen Games website:
https://petersengames.com/terror

That transphobic tweet was July of that year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

:chloe: Eesh. Ah well, I didn't really expect much else from a boomer who looks like a thumb and sounds exactly how you'd expect a 60 year old grognard to sound.

EDIT: Also I don't know how you pronounce "Shub-Niggurath" but from the videos I've watched, Sandy Peterson pronounces it with the hard-r, and quite happily too, it seems. (Personally I would say it "shoob NEE-goo-roth" but I've excised this particular old god from my version of the mythos for precisely this reason).

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 10, 2022