Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
It's obviously not going to happen but.... looool

Poland would almost certainly request an Article Five response but they honestly could wipe out anything the Russians sent without any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:stare:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Straight outta Compgrad

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just keep threatening your neighbors Russia. See where it gets you.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Casimir Radon posted:

Just keep threatening your neighbors Russia. See where it gets you.

What is it even getting them? What’s the angle here?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

KitConstantine posted:

These gentlemen seem...poorly outfitted
https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1525206092485120000?s=20&t=fL_8qkpQnwjwB3Vuz94m5Q
I find this genuinely upsetting :( especially given reports of Russian press gangs in the 'independent' republics

Oh, I'm sure they have plenty of spare AKs, but it's harder to mutiny and frag your blocking detachment when you only get a lovely Mosin.

I started writing this as a joke, but it's the real reason, isn't it? These are the forcibly conscripted guys from Donbas, I assume.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

These gentlemen seem...poorly outfitted
https://twitter.com/200_zoka/status/1525206092485120000?s=20&t=fL_8qkpQnwjwB3Vuz94m5Q
I find this genuinely upsetting :( especially given reports of Russian press gangs in the 'independent' republics

Given that they have helmets, uniforms, and web gear, I don't think this is indicative that Russia is somehow running low on the most mass produced weapon in human history, but rather, they see those troops as completely unreliable, and don't want to arm them well enough to be capable of contesting loyal police/security forces.

I suspect those troops would be seen as more useful if they could be fired out of 152mm cannon.

edit: ^^^^^ yes, that's exactly it. This is what cannon fodder looks like.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

"Ah yes, with these spare BTGs I just found under the couch cushions"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Joke Miriam posted:

It’s entirely for domestic consumption I think. Nobody outside the country is taking them seriously anymore.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
CNN reporting that Russia is in full retreat from Kharkiv.

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat

Joke Miriam posted:

When all you have is bullying, every problem looks like someone to bully I suppose

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Slava Ukraini

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Those are also Soviet area rucks, a Veshesmok. Not unuseful, but it's a glorified laundry bag.

I'm not saying they are hitting bottom of the barrel, but when you are handed a loving Mosin and some Soviet PPE, it can't be great for morale.

God drat, this poo poo is making OIF1 look like a loving ballet. Sure, Hillbilly Armor. But we got weapons built within the last 40 years, and our SAPI plates weren't plywood.

E- I have a few Veshesmok bags for shopping. Great for Flea Market, not so good for the Rooty Tooty Run and Shooty.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 14, 2022

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

shame on an IGA posted:

E: Bulletsponge I really hope you write a book someday

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

To expand on this, bulletsponge I know you don't think your experiences are particularly special or unique but that's not even the point, it's that the rare intersection of your talent for deep introspection and your talent for prose make your experiences much, much more capable of being shared and impactful to others than the very similar experiences of many people who don't think about poo poo or can't write well about it or most likely both.

I truly believe you could be the next Marlantes

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 14, 2022

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

Im not giving it any credit, I'm just saying that one video is not evidence of a given system's reliability. Anecdotes are not data, and all that.

Technically, the quote is "The plural of anecdote is data"...

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

To expand on this, bulletsponge I know you don't think your experiences are particularly special or unique but that's not even the point, it's that the rare intersection of your talent for deep introspection and your talent for prose make your experiences much, much more capable of being shared and impactful to others than the very similar experiences of many people who don't think about poo poo or can't write well about it or most likely both.

I truly believe you could be the next Marlantes

I haven't a clue who that is.

I appreciate the support guys, I do. It even came up in therapy today. It's just so much work, and I'm a lazy piece of poo poo. Lol

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

I appreciate the support guys, I do. It even came up in therapy today. It's just so much work, and I'm a lazy piece of poo poo. Lol

It's not so much work if you just write. Even 500 words a day is a good pace.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kchama posted:

Folks in this thread seem to really like your writing style, I wonder if GIP would be open to you starting a thread where people just trickle (not a flood, just a trickle) writing prompts at you and you reply in a post. That might be a great first start.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

:nsavince:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Kchama posted:

Writing, maybe not (I disagree with it being easy, but that is referring to the birth, not the writing), but I'm a luddite. I prefer pen and paper; I've taken to doing some 'analog e stories' where I've posted pictures of stuff I wrote out long hand.

Part of the problem is I'm afraid to commit- it's a sure fire way to secure failure for me.

It's weird- work? I'll run myself to the point of exhaustion; can't find that same drive in school or personal projects.

I don't want to poo poo up the thread a ton; if you guys are on fb, I occasionally post poo poo on a page- Worrier King. There isn't a lot there, unfortunately, but a little. I only use the Awful app so I can't anyway, and have never really thought of "Story Time with Bulletsponge" (as my roommate used to call it) thread as it's own thing. Seems so ego driven. I can't promise to update it as often as some would like, but I'm more than happy to throw out brain diarrhea if people want. I am a benevolent ruler (exiled Emperor Lando II) after all.

E-

cruft posted:

Folks in this thread seem to really like your writing style, I wonder if GIP would be open to you starting a thread where people just trickle (not a flood, just a trickle) writing prompts at you and you reply in a post. That might be a great first start.

This could be neat. I feel awkward, but I was just a combat junkie kid, but the comments in here aren't the first time I've had these sentiments shared.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Im still sceptical about that container. Like there is no way there Wasnt SOMEONE in charge of it with enough guve-a-fucks to brick the thing (and controls on bricking it) that it wouldve been captured intact.

On the ither hand, this is the military that lost Moskva, and ukrainians are skilled enough to pull off that one (cant only blame the russians, credit goes to ukrainians after all) säso guess it is real.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

bulletsponge13 posted:

Karl Marlantes, a Vietnam veteran and author. His novel Matterhorn about Vietnam is outstanding.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Valtonen posted:

Im still sceptical about that container. Like there is no way there Wasnt SOMEONE in charge of it with enough guve-a-fucks to brick the thing (and controls on bricking it) that it wouldve been captured intact.

On the ither hand, this is the military that lost Moskva, and ukrainians are skilled enough to pull off that one (cant only blame the russians, credit goes to ukrainians after all) säso guess it is real.
Well this is the 2022 Russian Red Army we're talking about, so if they can gently caress up something simple, they totally will gently caress it up.
The guy in charge of it was probably an officer who gtfo once the shooting started, just like the rest of the folks using it.
edit: like, I doubt the enlisted folks even know about zeroing the crypto stuff, going off how poorly they're trained

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Joke Miriam posted:

Under the Lend Lease program the entire fleet of LCS and zumwalt ships slated for decommissioning next year get donated to Ukraine?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blind Rasputin posted:

Under the Lend Lease program the entire fleet of LCS and zumwalt ships slated for decommissioning next year get donated to Ukraine?

Aren't we supposed to be on their side?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Bulletsponge, to be frank, a slightly edited collection of your post history would be a more compelling and introspective memoir than most of the “Lone Sniper: American Survivor: The Only Easy Yesterday was Tomorrow” crap that’s out there. If you do write, do it for yourself primarily, but a lot of us really like your writing.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Bulletsponge, if you haven't had a chance, check out Joe Kassabian's (of Lions Led By Donkeys) memoir The Hooligans of Kandahar. It's a short book, its written very conversationallly, and its riveting.

I write for a living (grants, not literature) and I can tell you that dropping a pile of random memories/thoughts into a document and handing it to an editor is a valid way of Being An Author(tm). You don't need to have the finished product come entirely from your brain.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Bulletsponge, to be frank, a slightly edited collection of your post history would be a more compelling and introspective memoir than most of the “Lone Sniper: American Survivor: The Only Easy Yesterday was Tomorrow” crap that’s out there. If you do write, do it for yourself primarily, but a lot of us really like your writing.

Bulletsponge, he's right. Our generation doesn't have those introspective memoirs that we can find in past conflicts. We have the blatant money grabs or the springboard into politics/academia, but your assorted posts on the topic are more enlightening and genuine then anything I've come across.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I kind of wonder if this isn’t the actual end result of massive reliance on fake news where you eventually come to believe some portion of the propaganda you’ve generated and know to be false because it’s just all so pervasive.

Like, not the worst visions of a 1984 dystopia of malevolent control but just a schism from reality that leads down a path of seeming senility and ridicule.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

TCD posted:

Bulletsponge, he's right. Our generation doesn't have those introspective memoirs that we can find in past conflicts. We have the blatant money grabs or the springboard into politics/academia, but your assorted posts on the topic are more enlightening and genuine then anything I've come across.

Also if we're talking about historical value, it's generally much harder to get informative ground-level perspectives on life in the past, because that's not the stuff people think is worth writing about or preserving records of. There's an ocean of ink about the thought processes of famous leaders making important decisions, much of it written by the person in question wanking themselves off. We've got Julius Caesar's loving journal from his military career and we're still stuck speculating about how one of his Legionnaires actually fought.

So, if you're asking yourself "who really cares about the perspective of a random soldier who also happened to be introspective and eloquent" the answer is "potentially a lot of people in the future".

Speaking personally, I've really appreciated the insights you've shared and your writing is a pleasure to read.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Just chiming in to say I've also enjoyed your writing, and just writing 500 words a day about anything on your mind is super easy to crank out.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bulletsponge13 posted:

Start a podcast! Then you can eventually use those episodes as a form of notes for writing expanded or related material. Also just seconding and thirding everyone’s comments on how the quality of the writing is so good.

Edit: Hell just start with your posts here it could give you a great outline for a book down the road.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

Writing, maybe not (I disagree with it being easy, but that is referring to the birth, not the writing), but I'm a luddite. I prefer pen and paper; I've taken to doing some 'analog e stories' where I've posted pictures of stuff I wrote out long hand.

Part of the problem is I'm afraid to commit- it's a sure fire way to secure failure for me.

It's weird- work? I'll run myself to the point of exhaustion; can't find that same drive in school or personal projects.

I don't want to poo poo up the thread a ton; if you guys are on fb, I occasionally post poo poo on a page- Worrier King. There isn't a lot there, unfortunately, but a little. I only use the Awful app so I can't anyway, and have never really thought of "Story Time with Bulletsponge" (as my roommate used to call it) thread as it's own thing. Seems so ego driven. I can't promise to update it as often as some would like, but I'm more than happy to throw out brain diarrhea if people want. I am a benevolent ruler (exiled Emperor Lando II) after all.

E-

This could be neat. I feel awkward, but I was just a combat junkie kid, but the comments in here aren't the first time I've had these sentiments shared.

If it helps, just write down a story as your remember it instead of just trying to hit a word count.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Also if it helps just keep a diary (like they told me to do in therapy) and if you feel like sharing then goons will love to have you share. If you want to share beyond your community just have some outlander copy edit it and do all the finishing work except choosing an author bio pic. The important part is writing it down to stop your brain from itching like it does. Sit down with a physical journal at the same place and time every day for extra powers

Source: a former professional copy editor and therapy diarist.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

RIP Russia's secure comms capability

Hold up, Russia had a secure comms facility? Why didn't they use it?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Again, I don't mean to poo poo up the thread-
Thanks everyone. It's weird to have people who don't 'know' me (I'm an acquired taste, and a terrible friend) be interested in my dumb nostalgia.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

cruft posted:

Hold up, Russia had a secure comms facility? Why didn't they use it?
Nah, it was a EW thing. When it comes to secure comms, you'd probably have to ask :nsa: what they're using...but it sounds like the Russians don't give a gently caress and are just using cell phones and such.
The Red Army is the world's most violent clown show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

They had a secret domestically produced encrypted comms wonderweapon.

It used LTE over commercial networks.

So the UKR carriers blocked them.

So RF looted phones from Ukrainians.

So UKR put up a ‘report your phone looted’ form, and wiretapped the phones reported.